Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 736237 times)

0xdeadbeef and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #3125 on: January 20, 2022, 06:58:46 pm »
79$ vs 189€....
Even when importing with taxes etc, it will be remarkable cheaper than buying "here".

Offline Angus

• Contributor
« Reply #3126 on: January 22, 2022, 01:36:12 pm »
There is some confusion about history/search/navigate usage. I don't find an exact answer in the manual so hopefully someone can enlight me:

Manual states that search "can search for the specific events in a frame". Well does frame imply that I have to select one with history for which search is done? I came to the question while using sequence mode (which is afaik very similar to normal mode only with less dead time between the triggers). So I have sequence enabled and stop the aquisition and go to history. Well, now I can look at every single shot, but if I enable search in addition I wonder if each and every frame is searched for the search-criterion or only one active frame. I mean if I have a large sequence it would be more than only conveniant to have the 'one' frame of that sequence searched without the need to scroll through hundreds of recorded frames.

btw can I overlay the frames after stopping and going to history agin or is that only done in 'live-mode'?

I hope you get my problem and can help.

P.S. Although a different thing. I recently noticed some strange behaviour with zone triggers. They work fine, but with zone triggering and and sequence I had Signal flashing through the disclosed zone from time to time. But only in sequence recording normal work was ok.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3127 on: January 22, 2022, 05:24:26 pm »
There is some confusion about history/search/navigate usage. I don't find an exact answer in the manual so hopefully someone can enlight me
  • Press "Search"
  • Touch "One Key Navigate"
  • Select Type = "History Frame"
  • Select appropriate interval time - the default 1 µs is fine for search
  • Enable "Stop On Search Event"
  • Now play the event list in any direction and playback will automatically stop as soon as a frame that contains the search condition is displayed. Any hits are highlited by white triangles below the menu bar on the screen

btw can I overlay the frames after stopping and going to history agin or is that only done in 'live-mode'?
You can play back the whole history at maximum speed, i.e. with a short interval time. This will look pretty much like the live signal display did.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:29:46 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3128 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:45 pm »
There is some confusion about history/search/navigate usage. I don't find an exact answer in the manual so hopefully someone can enlight me
  • Press "Search"
  • Touch "One Key Navigate"
  • Select Type = "History Frame"
  • Select appropriate interval time - the default 1 µs is fine for search
  • Enable "Stop On Search Event"
  • Now play the event list in any direction and playback will automatically stop as soon as a frame that contains the search condition is displayed. Any hits are highlited by white triangles below the menu bar on the screen

You can play back the whole history at maximum speed, i.e. with a short interval time. This will look pretty much like the live signal display did.

To add, you can also enable persistence mode and run trough all the frames for persistence display.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3129 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:06 pm »
P.S. Although a different thing. I recently noticed some strange behaviour with zone triggers. They work fine, but with zone triggering and and sequence I had Signal flashing through the disclosed zone from time to time. But only in sequence recording normal work was ok.

Could you please provide more detail of signal and scope settings for this? If there is a problem and manufacturer has easy way to recreate a problem, then they can fix it. Win, win..

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3130 on: January 27, 2022, 10:46:30 pm »
Hi, I am totally puzzled rying to decode a LIN protocol signal on an SDS2000x plus… The signal is a training signal coming from a DSOX1204G scope. That is a varied sequence of 21 re-occurring messages in LIN1.3 format at 19.2kbps. All pretty standard.

I decoded this signal simultaneously on four oscilloscopes. Three of them (RTB2004, DSOX1204G and PicoScope 3405D) show the same messages. In the set of messages, the ID (HEX) is 12, 21 or 30, and the message length is 2, 4 or 8. Attached are screenprints, where I highlighted the same message on all screens (Sample message: ID21 LEN4 DATA D2 34 F5 14).

Now the SDS… AFAIK all my settings are correct. 19.2kbps, threshold, trigger, etc. SDS supports decoding of LIN1.3. Scope says that it successfully decoded the messages. But they are all different from the other scopes!?! They have different ID’s, different packet length, different payload. Nothing in common what I see on the other three scopes ?!?

Anyone an idea? Thanks!

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3131 on: January 28, 2022, 03:11:58 am »
What trigger setting and threshold are you using? 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3132 on: January 28, 2022, 07:59:54 am »
What trigger setting and threshold are you using?

I tried various triggering settings on the SDS, including LIN trigger, with the threshold set halfway between bus values. But other trigger settings as well, including EDGE with holdoff, and even free-running (trigger not firing but the scope in Auto mode so it's capturing). But the thing is that the result I am getting for various trigger strategies is always exactly the same, and the packages are shown as successfully decoded results. Triggering does not seem to be a problem here.

The next thing I may try is to have one of the oscilloscopes triggering (on a specific message) and connect this trigger point to all other devices via their external trigger inputs. That way, they all trigger at the same point in time, synchronously, and I might start looking specifically into differences for one and the same message.

I’d like to think that I am making a user error and this is not a bug, but there seem not to be that many settings where I can have gone wrong… But happy is someone can prove me wrong and I get the SDS to decode properly.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3133 on: January 28, 2022, 09:22:20 am »
First 2 things I do after getting any protocol on screen are to determine the correct Idle setting and max packet length and then set a correct Edge trigger for the very first edge in a packet and Holdoff a shade longer than the longest packet.
This results in rock solid triggering on every packet however without a serial trigger it can be any packet.
Then if all seems correct select the correct serial trigger and then go looking for specific data.

A couple of screenshots attached with 9.600kB LIN source from Siglents STB-3 test board.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3134 on: January 28, 2022, 10:14:45 am »
First 2 things I do after getting any protocol on screen are to determine the correct Idle setting and max packet length and then set a correct Edge trigger for the very first edge in a packet and Holdoff a shade longer than the longest packet.

Thanks. I will try this again and see how my packets look like.

At the same time, when I see the scope presenting a successfully decoded message (not marked as an error) then I assume it should be correct. Or is that a wrong assumption?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3135 on: January 28, 2022, 10:54:52 am »

Thanks. I will try this again and see how my packets look like.

At the same time, when I see the scope presenting a successfully decoded message (not marked as an error) then I assume it should be correct. Or is that a wrong assumption?
What prompted me to reply was your screenshot below that has obviously has some wrong settings when we look at the trigger position which is just inside the packet whereas for a serial trigger it should be well inside and triggering on a specific bit.
This one:

Plus you have the Run/Stop engaged which to me is always a clue stable triggering has not been successfully obtained.
Notice none of mine show a Stop condition and at the timebase used and mem setting it's showing full mem depth whereas you could limit the memory used and speed up the decodes some however at just 9.6kB LIN this hardly matters.
Have a bit more of a play around with basic settings and get rock solid triggering and the rest should just fall into place.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3136 on: January 28, 2022, 02:33:30 pm »
Triggering has no influence whatever on protocol decoding! You can even put a DSO in auto mode without setting up a trigger level and just press stop to get the decoded data stable on the screen.

Thinking that protocol decoding needs triggering is a severe misconception:
1) Remember that the protocol decoder has to self-synchronise (=find start / stop condition of the protocol) to whatever is in the incoming bitstream and process it.
2) It is very probable that a user doesn't want to trigger on something in the protocol but trigger on an event in a signal; the protocol decoding should still work in such a situation (assuming that there is enough data to decode).

@Tautech: did you check that you are getting the right data on screen? The fact you get some data on the screen doesn't mean it is decoded properly. When I look in the manual of the STB-3 board I see different data being specified and your screendump also shows not all packets are being decoded.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:45:36 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3137 on: January 28, 2022, 04:29:24 pm »
@Tautech: did you check that you are getting the right data on screen? The fact you get some data on the screen doesn't mean it is decoded properly. When I look in the manual of the STB-3 board I see different data being specified and your screendump also shows not all packets are being decoded.

Manual for STB-3 board specifies exactly this data:

h 54_5f
h 54_5f
h 45_4e_54_5f
h 53_49_47_4E_54_5f  (h53_49_47_4c_54_5f as written is error because it is not SIGLELT, as can be seen in a screen capture below in the manual)

I'm sure you can figure out order and convert hex to ASCII...
Those 4 repeat in a sequence.

And all the data in Tautech screenshots is decoded, except first and last packet that are chopped of...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3138 on: January 28, 2022, 04:36:23 pm »

Manual for STB-3 board specifies exactly this data:

h 54_5f
h 54_5f
h 45_4e_54_5f
h 53_49_47_4E_54_5f  (h53_49_47_4c_54_5f as written is error because it is not SIGLELT, as can be seen in a screen capture below in the manual)

I'm sure you can figure out order and convert hex to ASCII...
Those 4 repeat in a sequence.

And all the data in Tautech screenshots is decoded, except first and last packet that are chopped of...
I was referring to the last screenshot Tautech posted assuming that it is his measurement.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline sarming

« Reply #3139 on: January 28, 2022, 04:49:10 pm »
Hi, I am quite confused about the logic operations of the pattern trigger. Maybe somebody can check my thinking:

AND and NOR work as described in the manual, but why do they trigger on a falling edge?
NAND and OR operate differently from the manual. Notably they not only "trigger on the rising edge of the combined waveform" (which is described as "the result of the logical operation") but also on transitions of a single channel comparison even when the result of the operation remains unchanged.
So transitions 01 -> 11 for OR, and 01->00 for NAND trigger, even though:  0 or 1 = 1 or 1; and: 0 nand 1 = 0 nand 0.

So in summary:
AND triggers on a transition away from 111..1
NOR triggers on a transition away from 000..0
OR triggers when a comparison transitions to 1
NAND triggers when a comparison transitions to 0

As I see it AND and NOR, as well as NAND and OR are redundant/equivalent, if one flips all the comparisons (High and Low).
But what is missing is the possibility to trigger on the transition to 111...0 (resp. 000...0), or when a comparison transitions from 1 (resp. 0).

Is this intentional?
Is there a different way to look at the implementation for it to make (a least a bit more) sense?
Am I missing something?

I feel at least the documentation has to change, but even then it seems to be a very strange implementation.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3140 on: January 28, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »
Hi, I am quite confused about the logic operations of the pattern trigger. Maybe somebody can check my thinking:
Not me.

Welcome to the forum.
We presume you are on the latest firmware, V1.3.9R6 ?

The manual section is 15.5.10 Pattern Trigger on P116-118.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS2000X-Plus_UserManual_EN01C.pdf

Can smarter logic chaps check sarming's report ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: sarming

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3141 on: January 28, 2022, 08:06:33 pm »
Yes, Pattern trigger appears totally broken in FW V1.3.9R6.

I've reported this to Siglent R&D just minutes ago.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, sarming

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3142 on: January 28, 2022, 08:46:04 pm »
OK, I think I found the solution to the LIN decode problem. Long story short: It’s about whether the LIN signal is idle high or idle low.
  • On the RTB and PicoScope, you can change polarity in a setting in the protocol menu.
  • The SDOX has no such setting in the protocol menu and defaults to idle HIGH, but you can invert the selected channel. Fair enough.
  • The SDS has no such setting in the protocol menu and defaults to idle LOW, but you can invert the selected channel. Fair enough.

So far so good…. Now, where is the issue?

Well, the RTB, DSOX or PicoScope simply show no decoded signal when the polarity setting is wrong and decode is impossible. BUT THE SDS SHOWS A COMPLETELY WRONG DECODED SIGNAL WHEN POLARITY IS WRONG AND SHOWS IT AS IF IT’S A GOOD SIGNAL WITH NO ERRORS!

Once you are aware polarity is wrong (by instance by noticing different results on three other devices ;-), you change channel polarity, re-do the threshold, and it works properly. Now I figured that out, I am able to decode all my busses correctly. But the SDS behaviour is troublesome. When the user thinks a proper signal is decoded, it may be actually totally wrong. I consider this to be a bug. If someone wants to report to Siglent, be my guest...

PS. Like nctnico noted, successful decode is totally independent of trigger. Even works perfectly on free run (auto trigger) when trigger is not configured at all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:48:48 pm by RBBVNL9 »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3143 on: January 28, 2022, 09:08:21 pm »
I was referring to the last screenshot Tautech posted assuming that it is his measurement.

It's not Tautech's measurement.  It's RBBVNL9's, the last image in his message here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg3971435/#msg3971435

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3144 on: January 28, 2022, 09:52:38 pm »
OK, I think I found the solution to the LIN decode problem. Long story short: It’s about whether the LIN signal is idle high or idle low.
  • On the RTB and PicoScope, you can change polarity in a setting in the protocol menu.
  • The SDOX has no such setting in the protocol menu and defaults to idle HIGH, but you can invert the selected channel. Fair enough.
  • The SDS has no such setting in the protocol menu and defaults to idle LOW, but you can invert the selected channel. Fair enough.

So far so good…. Now, where is the issue?

Well, the RTB, DSOX or PicoScope simply show no decoded signal when the polarity setting is wrong and decode is impossible. BUT THE SDS SHOWS A COMPLETELY WRONG DECODED SIGNAL WHEN POLARITY IS WRONG AND SHOWS IT AS IF IT’S A GOOD SIGNAL WITH NO ERRORS!

Once you are aware polarity is wrong (by instance by noticing different results on three other devices ;-), you change channel polarity, re-do the threshold, and it works properly. Now I figured that out, I am able to decode all my busses correctly. But the SDS behaviour is troublesome. When the user thinks a proper signal is decoded, it may be actually totally wrong. I consider this to be a bug. If someone wants to report to Siglent, be my guest...

PS. Like nctnico noted, successful decode is totally independent of trigger. Even works perfectly on free run (auto trigger) when trigger is not configured at all.

First thing first I have Keysight and Picoscope and a SDS6000 (no 2000 sorry, but decoder codebase should be same).

LIN signal is active LOW. That is standard. It means it sits at positive voltage on idle and gets pulled down to ground when active (logical 1). If you ever connect LIN bus to a scope and see signal going negative something is mighty wrong.

On my Keysight 3000T I didn't have to invert anything in decoder nor does it have that option AFIK. On Picoscope also I didn't invert anything. Picoscope does have that option in decoder, I guess so you can probe before inverting driver, but even than signal wouldn't go negative but would logically invert low/high levels.
And all three scopes decoded just fine.

How on earth did you achieve polarity on SDS2000X+ to be wrong in a first place? All these scopes have common ground, how did you connect it the wrong way?

I never even tried decoding negative going LIN on any scope before. I did check now and Siglent does seem to get confused (same as I am by negative going LIN signal, I guess :-). But that is a fringe case.

Could you please elaborate more on this?

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #3145 on: January 29, 2022, 03:35:31 am »
Another maybe silly question: I thought that the scope was automatically capable to reconize if the probes are set to 10x or a 100x but It doesn't do It.
Is due to cheap probes they gave in bundle?

Well, yes, but I've never seen 1X/10X switchable probes that had that sensor feature.  It would be tricky to implement automatically and there's not much point to making it a manual selection.  Higher end fixed ratio probes may have readout pins, but not 1X/10X.

Lots of 1X/10X probes have that feature. I have a few probes from probemaster.com that have 1X/R/10X switching and the readout pin. Mine are from the 4900 series that I use with the SDS2KP. You can flip the switch on the probe and the scope detects the change.

Thanks,
Josh
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3146 on: January 29, 2022, 05:48:20 am »
Lots of 1X/10X probes have that feature. I have a few probes from probemaster.com that have 1X/R/10X switching and the readout pin. Mine are from the 4900 series that I use with the SDS2KP. You can flip the switch on the probe and the scope detects the change.

Thanks,
Josh

+1 for Probemaster.  I have some 4900 series probes, but didn't know they had switchable and readout in the same unit.  I'm not sure how they do that--what does the probe cable look like?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3147 on: January 29, 2022, 10:10:23 am »
@2N3055,

Could you please elaborate more on this?

Firstly, several scope makers (R&S, Picoscope, haven’t checked others) offer a polarity setting for LIN serial decoders. So they think this makes sense, that there are uses case in which this is useful.

LIN signal is active LOW. That is standard. It means it sits at positive voltage on idle and gets pulled down to ground when active (logical 1).

Yes, that is also my understanding. Unfortunately, since the LIN standard is maintained by ISO you need to pay to get access to that documentation. In the ST LIN chip documentation I read: “Two logical levels are defined on the LIN bus physical line – the recessive level and the dominant level. The recessive logical level corresponds to a high voltage level on the LIN bus line (measured against the ground potential, nominal value = 12 V). The dominant logical level corresponds to a low voltage level on the LIN bus line (nominal value = 0 V). The dominant logical level has higher priority. This means that when at least one node in the LIN cluster sends the dominant level, the resulting level on the LIN bus line is the dominant level.” In short, we seem to be in agreement.

I do reckon that the terminology used on devices, in manuals and in discussions regarding LIN polarity is somewhat confusing. Some talk of ‘Idle High” or “Idle Low”, some talk of high or low “signals”, some talk of ‘negative going LIN’.  I also read somewhere “The idle state is the recessive state and corresponds to a logic 1.” (so this source uses another definition of what logic 1 is). Also the fact that a packet starts with a relatively long break period that is opposite to the idle signal may confuse people. Sometimes I started to feel confused too. Hope I made no mistakes but will get to that.

How on earth did you achieve polarity on SDS2000X+ to be wrong in a first place? All these scopes have common ground, how did you connect it the wrong way?

Two answers.

First, how did I make the signal? As I described in the previous mail, I took a Keysight DSOX1204G, powered it up, and activated the LIN training signal ;-)

Second, you seem to assume that the signal I sent into the SDS was wrong. But if you look at the screenprints in my original mail, you see that all the scope signals, including that on the SDS, are exactly like the correct LIN bus you describe above. Still, the SDS decoded bus was wrong.

I want to dig a bit deeper into what the different scopes expect as ‘default’, and, relatedly, when polarity may need to be changed. Perhaps in the testing and confusion, I made an error there. If I find some time this weekend, I will test with a much easier LIN signal (one that simply sends the same packets every time, so see always the same message on every device).

I did check now and Siglent does seem to get confused (same as I am by negative going LIN signal, I guess :-). But that is a fringe case.

Seems that we then agree on my main conclusion: if the signal polarity is wrong (for whatever reason that might be), the SDS can show LIN messages as if they were correctly decoded, even if they are actually incorrect. 

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3148 on: January 29, 2022, 10:31:49 am »

I think it would be nice to see the interpreted data, but highlight (in red?) that the checksum is wrong.

There is a bug thread here where you can post your findings: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3149 on: January 29, 2022, 11:14:41 am »
I think it would be nice to see the interpreted data, but highlight (in red?) that the checksum is wrong.

Agree. As long as the decoder would show there is an error, then the user would be aware that the shown decoded info may not be trustable.

But as far as I can see now, if the decoder goes wrong (because of wrong polarity, whatever the reason of that is), no error is shown in the telegram screen nor in the table view. No header parity error, synchronisation/sync byte error, CRC checksum error... It is just displayed as if it were a good message.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf