Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 734536 times)

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4100 on: June 01, 2023, 02:18:23 pm »
In reply to a few that have asked for WiFi capability for these scopes....

In another thread member Peter_O pointed us to a TP-Link device used in Client mode with his SDS2000X Plus where it accesses any local WiFi access point and provides an isolated (secure) LAN and WiFi connection.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/
Scroll down to #4 Client mode.

Although it can be USB powered specs say 2A so what a scope USB port will think of that I'm unsure.  :-//
Nevertheless one is on my shopping list to evaluate.....

Also MikroTik mAP Lite ..

There's a plethora of Ethernet to WiFi adapters available that should also work.

Even better would be a Mesh WiFi system, you can have a router right near the scope connecting back to the main router wirelessly (client or bridge mode etc.).
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4101 on: June 01, 2023, 03:52:47 pm »
In reply to a few that have asked for WiFi capability for these scopes....

In another thread member Peter_O pointed us to a TP-Link device used in Client mode with his SDS2000X Plus where it accesses any local WiFi access point and provides an isolated (secure) LAN and WiFi connection.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/
Scroll down to #4 Client mode.

Although it can be USB powered specs say 2A so what a scope USB port will think of that I'm unsure.  :-//
Nevertheless one is on my shopping list to evaluate.....

Also MikroTik mAP Lite ..

There's a plethora of Ethernet to WiFi adapters available that should also work.

Even better would be a Mesh WiFi system, you can have a router right near the scope connecting back to the main router wirelessly (client or bridge mode etc.).

Mikrotik comes with full RouterOS. It supports both way connections, repeater mode etc etc... Yes there are many devices that could be used. I just mentioned Mikrotik because I use it and can recommend it from personal experience and they are fully featured devices that support full set of features...

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4102 on: June 01, 2023, 04:09:54 pm »
Builtin wifi capability, even if via a USB dongle is something I would like to see in most devices. Not having an ethernet cable attached removes a possible ground loop and attractive path for surges during thunderstorms, and etc.

And yes, I know about single point grounding and can use a common point grounded local lab network switch. Wifi would still be better in this respect. I actually have an entire rack of gear on a common rack switch that I then have linked to the network via fiber just for these reasons.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:15:16 pm by EE4all »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4103 on: June 01, 2023, 05:25:20 pm »
Builtin wifi capability, even if via a USB dongle is something I would like to see in most devices. Not having an ethernet cable attached removes a possible ground loop and attractive path for surges during thunderstorms, and etc.

The only potential for a ground loop over the ethernet cable is if your ethernet cable has a shielded plug. Using a regular cat6 cable with a plastic only plug will eliminate that possibility.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4104 on: June 01, 2023, 05:29:01 pm »
I am referring to surge over a site that gets lightning struck or nearby to one. Any 2 cables from different parts of the building are a possible loop to ground and surge dissipation path. You are talking about common signaling ground loops. I am referring to something else entirely. That is why the most common thing to break in such events are things like network switches or ports of them (and modems and such in domestic environments).

That being said, I also prefer shielded runs to keep interference down. Everything in my personal lab is then on a fiber connected local room switch with common single point grounding together with the equipment power, or else connected via wifi.

Edit for typos.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 05:37:11 pm by EE4all »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4105 on: June 01, 2023, 05:51:17 pm »
Sure, but lightning can jump across a room too. I suppose it's a good idea to keep the insurance bill paid on time. 😉

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4106 on: June 01, 2023, 06:01:38 pm »
This is also true. Lightning travels miles through the air and then hits nearby...yeah it's going where it wants. I just try to do what I can. Large surges are far more common than direct hits, and for those, there is plenty one can do.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4107 on: June 01, 2023, 08:00:46 pm »
Which IMO is the attractiveness of the TP link unit as it may be possible to power it from the scopes USB port......no ground loop !
Gunna get one to try.....
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4108 on: June 01, 2023, 08:19:11 pm »
Which IMO is the attractiveness of the TP link unit as it may be possible to power it from the scopes USB port......no ground loop !

I think I still have that TP dongle somewhere. Do you think they're going to add support for it at some point?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4109 on: June 01, 2023, 08:32:56 pm »

I think I still have that TP dongle somewhere. Do you think they're going to add support for it at some point?
I don't expect so Josh.
At this time there is no discussion I have seen that indicates such.

If you consider the Siglent cost of the tiny TP Link USB dongle and then add the WiFi license cost vs a standalone solution like TL-WR902AC for just $40 on Amazon it's an amazingly cost effective WiFi connectivity solution.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline EE4all

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4110 on: June 01, 2023, 09:02:34 pm »
If the USB has enough power to run it, one can just velcro that to the back.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4111 on: June 01, 2023, 09:11:24 pm »
I think I still have that TP dongle somewhere.
Plug it into the scope so not to lose it....it doesn't need be enabled but it's a good place to park it for it not to get lost.
Tiny little buggers they are.....
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4112 on: June 01, 2023, 09:13:00 pm »
If the USB has enough power to run it, one can just velcro that to the back.
Or use it to supply your bench LAN but then you'll need a switch too !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4113 on: June 01, 2023, 09:57:41 pm »
I don't expect so Josh.
At this time there is no discussion I have seen that indicates such.

If you consider the Siglent cost of the tiny TP Link USB dongle and then add the WiFi license cost vs a standalone solution like TL-WR902AC for just $40 on Amazon it's an amazingly cost effective WiFi connectivity solution.

Sometimes, "improvements" are free. 😉

Back when I still had an 1104X-E, the $9 USB dongle worked great. I still prefer ethernet though.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4114 on: June 03, 2023, 10:36:57 pm »
There's a "feature" that's bugging me, I haven't noticed before. Recently I've been doing a bunch of bode plots. When I hit print, the popup shows up displaying the file name, and the next file name. It won't go away on its own unless I close it or hit Print again. Is there some way to disable this? I couldn't find it in the menus.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:45:49 pm by KungFuJosh »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4115 on: June 03, 2023, 10:55:27 pm »
Hi,

No...this is a little bug which I also have on my HD.
BUT:
Afaik it was fixed with one of the latest firmware for the plus - Which version you have ?

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4116 on: June 04, 2023, 12:12:14 am »
Hi,

No...this is a little bug which I also have on my HD.
BUT:
Afaik it was fixed with one of the latest firmware for the plus - Which version you have ?

I have the one from April: SDS2000X Plus Series_Firmware_V1.5.2R3. That's the latest available.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4117 on: June 04, 2023, 12:37:06 am »
Interesting..
Must check it again on one of our six 2k+ at work.
I thought this bug was fixed but when you have the latest firmware installed...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4118 on: June 04, 2023, 01:06:36 am »
There's a "feature" that's bugging me, I haven't noticed before. Recently I've been doing a bunch of bode plots. When I hit print, the popup shows up displaying the file name, and the next file name. It won't go away on its own unless I close it or hit Print again. Is there some way to disable this? I couldn't find it in the menus.
If not in X Plus it could be coming....it's in SDS1000X HD, probably 2000X HD too, Martin can confirm.
SDS6000A Utility > Save menu > Path settings
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 01:18:03 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4119 on: June 04, 2023, 01:51:18 pm »
Maybe mine is special? 🤷

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4120 on: June 04, 2023, 03:00:06 pm »
See Robs Answer:
If not in X Plus it could be coming.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4121 on: June 04, 2023, 04:33:22 pm »
....it's in SDS1000X HD, probably 2000X HD too, Martin can confirm.

No, same here as on the Xplus.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4122 on: June 04, 2023, 05:46:48 pm »
If not in X Plus it could be coming....it's in SDS1000X HD, probably 2000X HD too, Martin can confirm.

I cannot confirm nor deny this feature is implemented in last beta for SDS2000X HD....  ::) :-X

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4123 on: June 04, 2023, 05:49:28 pm »
And I can´t understand this "feature" in general... ;D

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4124 on: June 04, 2023, 06:15:20 pm »
And I can´t understand this "feature" in general... ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf