Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 730493 times)

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #4125 on: June 04, 2023, 07:46:24 pm »
There's a "feature" that's bugging me, I haven't noticed before. Recently I've been doing a bunch of bode plots. When I hit print, the popup shows up displaying the file name, and the next file name. It won't go away on its own unless I close it or hit Print again. Is there some way to disable this? I couldn't find it in the menus.
If not in X Plus it could be coming....it's in SDS1000X HD, probably 2000X HD too, Martin can confirm.
SDS6000A Utility > Save menu > Path settings

I cannot confirm nor deny this feature is implemented in last beta for SDS2000X HD....  ::) :-X
Then it need be implemented in all models that pop up a message when a file is saved !

All 3 settings, Hold (now default in some models), Fade, None and and the Fade Time option.
Will you propose it for me to back you up or the reverse ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Wrenches of Death

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4126 on: June 04, 2023, 08:17:42 pm »

In your picture you can see "Path Tips" and then the settings you´ve mentioned before.
In the current 6000A manual avaible (24.10.2022) there´s nothing about it to read - Do you have a clue for what it´s good for?
Me I just want to see a short confirmation after saving - At the moment, on 2k HD and 2k plus it lasts until you close it manually, that´s the bug.
So what could be the intention to make a "menu" for this instead of simply let the message appear for say 3..5 seconds ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4127 on: June 04, 2023, 08:37:34 pm »

In your picture you can see "Path Tips" and then the settings you´ve mentioned before.
In the current 6000A manual avaible (24.10.2022) there´s nothing about it to read - Do you have a clue for what it´s good for?
Me I just want to see a short confirmation after saving - At the moment, on 2k HD and 2k plus it lasts until you close it manually, that´s the bug.
So what could be the intention to make a "menu" for this instead of simply let the message appear for say 3..5 seconds ?
Management of the OSD saved file notification is done with Path Tips, the new 1000X HD has this and also my 6000A.
Fade and 3s is my sweet spot letting you know the file was saved and where to after which the OSD is only there for 3s then fades away. < That's how my 6000A is set in the screenshot I posted.
Hold is how X Plus seems be default currently (not got one out to check) and in your 2kX HD also it seems however Sinisa has seen the beta FW coming for it and indicated Path Tips are coming for it too although it doesn't appear in the release notes......seems like you'll need to wait for this improvement.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4128 on: June 04, 2023, 08:44:15 pm »
The first and last update is now 9 months ago, one is virtually practiced in patience.... ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4129 on: June 04, 2023, 08:47:51 pm »
The first and last update is now 9 months ago, one is virtually practiced in patience.... ;)
The beta has only been available for a few weeks so maybe they're ironing out a few issues however that indicates it's quite close.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline pcee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4130 on: June 04, 2023, 09:42:53 pm »
I have a question about the 10-bit acquisition mode:  is it simply a hardware-accelerated digital interpolation filter?

If so, it seems like it wouldn't affect measurements at the max and min.  Do I have that right?

For example, I've configured C1 as 100X, 50V/div (400V overall range from -200 to +200).  If I vary the max input voltage continuously (via variable voltage divider), the peak voltages only vary by increments of ~1.67V whether I'm in 8-bit acquisition or 10-bit.  The number of significant digits increases with 10-bit, but the min and max voltage increments don't change.

(Also, 1.67 would correspond to 240 increments over 400V rather than 256...are they dropping the high and low 8 intervals due to lack of linearity or something?)

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4131 on: June 05, 2023, 05:20:23 am »
@Tautech : May I ask if a setup/hold trigger will be implemented in the next release  ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4132 on: June 05, 2023, 07:15:21 am »
@Tautech : May I ask if a setup/hold trigger will be implemented in the next release  ?
No signs of such and exactly what does this do ?
Please describe in detail your needs.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4133 on: June 05, 2023, 07:25:46 am »

No signs of such and exactly what does this do ?
Please describe in detail your needs.

I would suspect you declare one channel as clock and another channel as data, and measure setup/hold times of data against the clock.
Trigger would be a when a (pre-set) violation has been detected.

For example:
If data has to be stable 1.2 nS before the clock, you would setup tests for setup violations where data changes in the 1.2nS window before the clock (rising or falling edge).

I too would find this feature VERY usefull ....

luudee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4134 on: June 05, 2023, 09:04:24 am »
Have you tried one of the Logic triggers for this need ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline smallfreak

• Contributor
« Reply #4135 on: June 05, 2023, 09:47:01 am »
If data has to be stable 1.2 nS before the clock, you would setup tests for setup violations where data changes in the 1.2nS window before the clock (rising or falling edge).
I think this could be done with the "Zone trigger" with an avoid-zone within the interesting range. However, the SDS2000x Plus might not be fast enough to reliably analyze details within a 1.2nS time interval. Even with 2GSa/s there might be just one or two measurements within.

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4136 on: June 05, 2023, 09:55:30 am »

Actually, so embarrassing, I just realized that my SDS5000 DOES HAVE setup/hold triggers !!!

I guess I never looked careful enough, and somehow did not think such an advanced feature would be implemented !

Cheers,
luudee

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4137 on: June 05, 2023, 11:02:19 am »
I atttached an aplication note but it's what Luudee described. SDS2000X HD has the feature too

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4138 on: June 05, 2023, 05:12:59 pm »
Siglent is becoming better than A-brands... They implement features before the users requests!!   :)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4139 on: June 05, 2023, 05:24:29 pm »
Siglent is becoming better than A-brands... They implement features before the users requests!!   :)

LOL!!

on a serious side, SDS2000HD SDS5000X and SDS6000A have these advanced triggers on top of what SDS2000X+ has:

Qualified Trigger
Nth Edge Trigger
Delay Trigger
Setup/Hold Trigger

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4140 on: June 05, 2023, 06:29:09 pm »
In reply to a few that have asked for WiFi capability for these scopes....

In another thread member Peter_O pointed us to a TP-Link device used in Client mode with his SDS2000X Plus where it accesses any local WiFi access point and provides an isolated (secure) LAN and WiFi connection.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr902ac/
Scroll down to #4 Client mode.

Although it can be USB powered specs say 2A so what a scope USB port will think of that I'm unsure.  :-//
Nevertheless one is on my shopping list to evaluate.....
I've an TL-WR902 AC and have been using it with a seperate USB power supply.
Just put my amps dongle in between and it shows 350mA mostly, but sometimes 560mA.
So with a seperate PSU we're on the save side.

Just now, I get a connection, the web site for the device shows up, Home screen etc. ok, PW is right, but the Instument Control screen shows no content from the scope.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 06:32:37 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4141 on: June 05, 2023, 06:30:09 pm »
SDS2000HD SDS5000X and SDS6000A have these advanced triggers on top of what SDS2000X+ has:

Qualified Trigger
Nth Edge Trigger
Delay Trigger
Setup/Hold Trigger

For me it´s OK... 8)
If the plus had nearly all the features the others have, why buy a more expensive scope...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4142 on: June 05, 2023, 08:26:23 pm »

In another thread member Peter_O pointed us to a TP-Link device used in Client mode with his SDS2000X Plus where it accesses any local WiFi access point and provides an isolated (secure) LAN and WiFi connection.

Although it can be USB powered specs say 2A so what a scope USB port will think of that I'm unsure.  :-//
Just put my amps dongle in between and it shows 350mA mostly, but sometimes 560mA.

Just now, I get a connection, the web site for the device shows up, Home screen etc. ok, PW is right, but the Instument Control screen shows no content from the scope.
From my brief studies of TL-WR902 AC thus far it can provide an isolated LAN and therefore probably uses its own IP for which you'll need to set the scope to.....but yes something funny going on there.

I thought you said you had it working ?  :-//
Maybe Default or Secure Erase the scope and try again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline trp806mo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4143 on: June 06, 2023, 05:57:54 pm »
Agreed and Siglent specifies well all the triggers into the datasheet.  Altough I still remain astonish as this kind of trigger is not a high end feature and even a DS1000Z got it.

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4144 on: June 07, 2023, 12:11:26 pm »

From my brief studies of TL-WR902 AC thus far it can provide an isolated LAN and therefore probably uses its own IP for which you'll need to set the scope to.....but yes something funny going on there.

I thought you said you had it working ?  :-//
Maybe Default or Secure Erase the scope and try again.

Yes, the TL-WR902 AC has always worked and does now. Always with seperate power adapter. Till now I've never had the idea to use an usb port. 
In TL's client mode, the Siglent is running in the same IP network with same device IP address as with patched connection.

I just double checked with a patch cable connection. Same there: Home screen, LAN config works and is fully responsive. Instrument control page shows up too, but with no content in window.  :scared:

Seems to be a separate problem. I'll ivestigate when I've time. ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:15:21 pm by Peter_O »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4145 on: June 07, 2023, 05:33:52 pm »
Yes, the TL-WR902 AC has always worked and does now. Always with seperate power adapter. Till now I've never had the idea to use an usb port. 
In TL's client mode, the Siglent is running in the same IP network with same device IP address as with patched connection.

I just double checked with a patch cable connection. Same there: Home screen, LAN config works and is fully responsive. Instrument control page shows up too, but with no content in window.  :scared:

I don't know much about that device specifically, except somebody said it's essentially a fully equipped router.

So does it have a firewall? If so, I would disable any firewalls on it, as that would likely block content. Also  check if any ports are being blocked.

If it has the option, set your scope as the DMZ.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline jscm2000

• Contributor
« Reply #4146 on: June 08, 2023, 02:26:20 pm »
Regarding the problem of SDS2000X Plus connecting to WIFI, I have a cheap and simple solution: buy a TL-WR802N mini router, the price is 12 US dollars, use the client mode, and connect the oscilloscope with a network cable. At this time, the router is equivalent to a wireless network card.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4147 on: June 09, 2023, 10:29:10 am »

I don't know much about that device specifically, except somebody said it's essentially a fully equipped router.

So does it have a firewall? If so, I would disable any firewalls on it, as that would likely block content. Also  check if any ports are being blocked.

If it has the option, set your scope as the DMZ.
"Firewall" was the right thing to check. thx   :-+

Since last remote use of the Siglent I changed the internet protection software on the pc. Adding the IP of the Siglent to the web protection exception list has fixed the problem for the LAN.

For the TP-Link there seems to be some problem left. Time to set it up from scratch.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline corey

• Contributor
« Reply #4148 on: June 13, 2023, 12:33:29 am »
I was originally after a cheaper scope but after reviewing my requirements, I am in the MSO5000 / SDS2000X price bracket by the looks of it.

So, I'm wondering where is the best place to buy SDS2000X series? I'm after a 4-ch (everyone recommends this), at the low end and I'll 'tweak' it.

Otherwise how does this compare with the MSO5000? I've read/watched reviews and teardowns of this and people seem to complain a lot about it, mostly the UI/controls. Is it a no-brainer to go for a SDS2000X at a bit more $? Thanks.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4149 on: June 13, 2023, 01:05:41 am »
I was originally after a cheaper scope but after reviewing my requirements, I am in the MSO5000 / SDS2000X price bracket by the looks of it.

Note that the Siglent SDS2000X series includes several models (I am writing this because you also asked a question in the thread about the SDS2000X HD - which is much more expensive than the MSO5000).

SDS2000X (The old version is no longer produced) - https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds2000x/
SDS2000X Plus (8-bit oscilloscopes - more expensive than MSO5000, but also IMHO better) - https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds2000xp/
SDS2000X HD (12-bit oscilloscopes - a completely different level than the MSO5000 and also a completely different price) - https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds2000x-hd-digital-storage-oscilloscope/

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf