Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Hack  (Read 157487 times)

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Hack
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2020, 01:58:44 pm »
Fully upgraded, and reports as SDS2504X Plus, without having to apply the cfg file change.

Thank you to everyone who helped to support this.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2020, 06:22:45 pm »
It's called "Promotion".

LOL, yes.

It wasn't showing on the web site when I ordered, but now I've gone back there, the promotion is showing, and because the order actually came direct from Siglent, it seems I automatically got the promotion upgrade  :-+

Really only need to do the BW upgrade and I'll be very happy.
Decodes Sent and Manchester should also be licensed as permanent as part of the promo. If you haven't got them licensed contact your supplier with your SN# and Scope ID so they can send you the codes to install.

As FW V1.3.7R5 that added Sent and Manchester was only publicly released after the start of the promotion there will be a few units still sold without these enabled.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:35:21 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2020, 06:31:54 pm »

Decodes Sent and Manchester should also be licensed as permanent as part of the promo. If you haven't got then licensed contact your supplier with your SN# and Scope ID so they can send you the codes to install.

As FW V1.3.7R5 that added Sent and Manchester was only publicly released after the start of the promotion there will be a few units still sold without these enabled.

Thank you, I'll get in touch with them :)

Offline Zaphod1

« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2020, 12:19:13 pm »
Just purchased a SDS2104x PLUS , (and it came with SDS2000X Plus Firmware - 1.3.7R5 )

So I copied the python code from https://repl.it/@wxq849034624/PrettyAbleGuiltware-1#main.py
and pasted it into https://www.programiz.com/python-programming/online-compiler/ (so I could edit the scopeID without having to register on the repl.it site)

Then copied my scopeID from: Utility/System Setting/System status on the scope menu's to the above python code, pressed Run and up popped up all the keys I needed.

The only slight stumbling block was I had to go from my base 100MHz to 200Mhz, then I had to jump to the 350Mhz key, then on to the final destination 500Mhz, because the others inbetween all produced "Invalid data"

The Bandwidth keys needed a re-boot afterwards, the other options (MSO, MANC and SENT) didn't.

Scope now reports on screen as a SDS2504X PLUS , I didn't need to go near a computer connection, all done on the 'scope screen.

Thanks to all concerned.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2020, 12:30:51 pm »
Can you test if the 500MHz is actually working by making some measurements in this range?

Offline Zaphod1

« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2020, 12:35:49 pm »
Can you test if the 500MHz is actually working by making some measurements in this range?
Moi ? ..... Currently not , I've nothing in the workshop with anywhere near , I really only upped it to 500MHZ for the moment because the <free> option was there.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2020, 01:04:41 pm »
Not very scientific I'm afraid, just something quickly put together.

0dBm from TG output on SVA1032X via coax at 100 and 500MHz

Offline letgo04

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2020, 01:23:07 pm »
I am going to buy SDS2104X plus and hack it.
Is there no modification of hardware for hack?
After hack, Can I download firmware of SDS2000X plus? Or do I need to download firmware?

Thanks.

Offline Zaphod1

« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2020, 01:29:00 pm »
After hack, Can I download firmware of SDS2000X plus? Or do I need to download firmware?

Thanks.

No hardware mods needed, Follow this that I just did and you'll be fine:

So I copied the python code from https://repl.it/@wxq849034624/PrettyAbleGuiltware-1#main.py
and pasted it into https://www.programiz.com/python-programming/online-compiler/ (so I could edit the scopeID without having to register on the repl.it site)

Then copied my scopeID from: Utility/System Setting/System status on the scope menu's to the above python code, pressed Run and up popped up all the keys I needed.

The only slight stumbling block was I had to go from my base 100MHz to 200Mhz, then I had to jump to the 350Mhz key, then on to the final destination 500Mhz, because the others inbetween all produced "Invalid data"

The Bandwidth keys needed a re-boot afterwards, the other options (MSO, MANC and SENT) didn't.

I think you'll need to make sure it's firmware SDS2000X Plus Firmware - 1.3.7R5 just so you make sure all the new decode options are listed (MANC and SENT etc), yes you can do further firmware upgrades afterwards, it won't hurt any options.

The following users thanked this post: letgo04

Offline letgo04

« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »

Thanks.

No hardware mods needed, Follow this that I just did and you'll be fine:

I think you'll need to make sure it's firmware SDS2000X Plus Firmware - 1.3.7R5 just so you make sure all the new decode options are listed (MANC and SENT etc), yes you can do further firmware upgrades afterwards, it won't hurt any options.

Thanks Zaphod1
In the case firmware version is under 1.3.7R5, then upgrade firmware?

Offline Zaphod1

« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2020, 07:46:40 pm »
Thanks Zaphod1
In the case firmware version is under 1.3.7R5, then upgrade firmware?

Yes, otherwise you won’t see the ‘new’ MANC and SENT decode options that were just added in 1.3.7R5
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:48:11 pm by Zaphod1 »

The following users thanked this post: letgo04

Offline KeBeNe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2020, 07:35:11 pm »

You can look there ->
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg2965752/#msg2965752
i have made frequency sweeps

Offline Dieselburner

« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2021, 09:35:09 pm »
Hello fellow engineers,

Do I need a new probe with a higher MHz rating if I hack the unit from 100MHz to 500MHz? SDS210xX Plus 100MHz units ships with 200MHz probes (PP215), but 350MHz unit comes with 350MHz probe (PP2035A).

Perhaps that's a noob question, but what are the drawbacks of measuring let's say a 300MHz signal with a 200MHz probe? What are the artefacts I might (will) observe?

Thanks.

Offline roberthh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2021, 08:04:17 am »
If you want to use the full bandwidth with reliable levels, you will indeed need matching probes. A probe rated at x Mhz will have an amplitude error of less than 3 db up to that frequency.
If you use the 200 MHz probe for frequencies above that point, the amplitude of the signal you see is dropped rsp. the rise time is extended.

When you go for a new probe, please check that the compensation range matches the input capacitance of the scope, which is ~17 pF. Higher frequency probes are usually only offered at a 10:1 attenuation. The prices for passive probes range between ~60€ to >500 €. The more expensive ones have a lower capacitance = lower impedance at high frequencies.  Go for a probe which has both low and high frequency compensation. The probes delivered with the instruments match typically well.

There was a nice test sequence on probes here in the forum: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg1434665/#msg1434665

The following users thanked this post: Dieselburner

Offline Dieselburner

« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2021, 02:44:52 pm »
Thanks for a great answer!

The link to the probe test was very informative - it looks like for my particular scope/probe set I'll be fine with 200MHz probes, as it handles the frequency up to 300MHz very well, and I do not need to go beyond that point yet.

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2021, 04:48:08 pm »
The PP215 probes, despite the declared 200 MHz band, work well up to 430 MHz (I have not tested with higher frequencies) and have an attenuation comparable to the very expensive 500 MHz Agilent N2890A.
Appearances are deceptive. :)

The following users thanked this post: Dieselburner

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2021, 06:01:33 pm »
It's called "Promotion".

LOL, yes.

It wasn't showing on the web site when I ordered, but now I've gone back there, the promotion is showing, and because the order actually came direct from Siglent, it seems I automatically got the promotion upgrade  :-+

Really only need to do the BW upgrade and I'll be very happy.
Decodes Sent and Manchester should also be licensed as permanent as part of the promo. If you haven't got them licensed contact your supplier with your SN# and Scope ID so they can send you the codes to install.

I contacted Saelig (from whom I bought my scope) and they said that those two are not included in the promotion.  My scope also shows them as temporary licenses.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2021, 07:49:35 pm »
Is there a way to disable an option once it's been enabled?   The LCISL command is used to enable an option via SCPI.  Is there a corresponding command to disable an option?  My search-fu doesn't seem to be good enough to find the answer to this.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2021, 07:53:25 pm »
Is there a way to disable an option once it's been enabled?   The LCISL command is used to enable an option via SCPI.  Is there a corresponding command to disable an option?  My search-fu doesn't seem to be good enough to find the answer to this.

1 Yes, but it's not public. See the attached image.
2 None that I know.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:45:03 pm by tv84 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2021, 08:30:50 pm »

I contacted Saelig (from whom I bought my scope) and they said that those two are not included in the promotion.  My scope also shows them as temporary licenses.
Unfortunately it indeed seems decodes Sent and Manchester are not part of the current promotion.  :(
A few new units across my desk this week didn't have them licensed either.

Latest FW that gave them to us was in Nov whereas the promotion started in Oct so neither are on the free list.
https://siglentna.com/news-article/save-up-to-1764-with-a-new-sds2000x-plus-oscilloscope-and-option-bundle/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2021, 08:50:40 pm »
Is it possible to change the "brand" of the oscilloscope? In Russia, Siglent SDS2104X+ oscilloscopes are localized and distibuted  under the "АКИП 4129А" name and have their own ugly download splash screen and a very long inconvenient name Model Name, which is also a template for the name of the all saved files.
Is it possible to bring such a device to the state of the original Siglent SDS2104X+? The devices do not differ in firmware, only Model Name and the boot splash screen.

You can answer the question in the PM.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2021, 09:06:57 pm »
Can you show an image of the model name and the splash screen?

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2021, 09:23:32 pm »
No problem :)

The difference from the original SDS2104X+ is only in these three photos. Everything else is unchanged.

The inscriptions on the buttons have also been translated, but I have already resigned myself to this :) Translated, by the way, very competently.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:30:05 pm by maxspb69 »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2021, 09:42:27 pm »
Thanks, now please attach your firmdata0\sys_cfg.cfg.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:12 pm »
Interesting, chinese models, russian and then rest of the world.
I want a german model  ;D ;)
No, better not - The translating are mostly bad to read. 8)

now please attach your firmdata0\sys_cfg.cfg.

The "cure" is near....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf