Author Topic: Siglent SDS5034X web server Instrument Control interface not working  (Read 3674 times)

Offline MPechTopic starter

Hello,

I got a new SDS5034X scope with 500 MHz promotion upgrade. Everything seems working fine, the only issue is that I cannot get the remote control panel using the web browser interface working at all. I tried all the resets to factory defaults, but still not solution. IP Config settings is at Automatic, the modem/router has the VNC 5900 port forwarding enabled. I can do everything from the web interface, send SCPI commands, change LAN configuration, but Instrument Control tab is empty and only the 4 arrow icon to go to full screen mode is present. I tried Chrome, Edge, and Waterfox Classic browsers with no functionality difference in between them.

I also tried to use TightVNC and RealVNC viewers to connect to the scope directly but in both cases the VNC connection was refused or timed out. It looks like the VNC server is not running on the scope. TightVNC reported that "No connection can be made because the target machine actively refused it".

I also tried the EasyScopeX, even though its compatibility with SDS5000X series seems not to be advertised by Siglent. It works well, I can do everything, the only thing which does not is when I tried the Virtual Panel button -- the response was "The feature is no supported!"

Did anybody get the remote control panel working using the web browser on SDS5000X series? I have not tried to connect the Ethernet cable directory to the computer yet, I need to get the proper cable.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS5034X web server Instrument Control interface not working
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:05:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

It's simple enough to connect to your LAN however it's best to set the scope a unique IP rather than let DHCP give you one.
So disable DHCP and use your LAN's Subnet and Gateway and assign the scope its own IP.

Here I can see the scope on both a PC and iPad where I grabbed this iPad screenshot of Instrument Control via the webserver.
Just enter the scopes IP into any browser and it will find it in a flash. Running 0.0.5R2 firmware here.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:36:54 am »
Thanks for a reply!

Setting fixed IP address made no difference.

I waited with a reply until I got a crossover Ethernet cable. I tried a direct computer to scope Ethernet connection with
crossover cable. Same thing. I can connect and do everything, EasyScopeX works as before, but there is just no Instrument Control
showing in a browser. I am on Windows 10, tried add 5900 port to firewall rules, no help. Either something is wrong
with the scope or something, more likely, with my network setup.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 07:41:18 am »
TBH Peer to Peer networking is a PITA however with some shagging around you can get it to work but it's not straightforward and so much simpler to have a cheap network switch near the bench and just plug it into the LAN with the scopes own IP that's maybe taped somewhere on the scope for future reference.

Possibly your router settings are interfering with the connection.  :-//
W10 here too and been doing this stuff reliably since W7 days.

Grab yourself a cheap network switch to have at the bench and connect it to your LAN and have your router do all the DHCP stuff.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:06:35 am »
What AV program you use on a PC?
Maybe it blocks something?

It is very simple. Protocol used is VNC, on a standard port.
It must work with any standard VNC client (no need for browser).
There should be no problems. It's pretty standard stuff.

So if that doesn't work, it's either you have something "firewalling" that connection or, like you said, VNC server component is not running on the scope..

ESET NOD32, for instance (and all of AV software from other manufacturers) lately have extensive protocol filtering and firewalling functionalities. Or maybe windows firewall is acting up (it shouldn't though).

Offline MarkKn

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:25:40 am »
There is a setting on the scope to turn on networking. Probably in utilities somewhere—I had same issue with my siglent. dhcp worked fine once networking was enabled.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 11:51:53 am »
OP has no problems with DHCP.

His scope has proper IP address, and he can connect to Web interface, where he can do all functions except live screen control (VNC remote control). There is something wrong only with VNC connection..

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 11:56:37 am »
OP has no problems with DHCP.

His scope has proper IP address, and he can connect to Web interface, where he can do all functions except live screen control (VNC remote control). There is something wrong only with VNC connection..
Agreed. This is not a network problem but likely a firmware issue inside the oscilloscope. Maybe a firmware update will help. ANother possibility is a firewall blocking certain tcp/ip / UDP ports on the PC.

In general don't mess with the network when pinging a device (or accessing it otherwise) works.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 05:05:22 pm »
Thanks everyone who replied. I tried to disable all firewalls and all virus/internet scanners, tried direct computer to computer
Ethernet connection, manual IP, I tried W10 and W7 machines, and direct VNC viewer connections as well as different web browsers,
no help. Since I can talk to the scope through the LAN and work with everything but the VNC, it looks like the VNC server is not running
on a scope and I have no way of starting it. I updated to the latest firmware and force company default. I even tried the reset
using the Math button as recommended for some other models. It worked and did some reset. The machine also completely
hung up when I put a flash drive there for the first time. I had to unplug the power cable. Strange.

I have hard time reaching SiglentNA, by e-mail and by phone. Is there any way to initiate a service call with them?

Thanks.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 05:28:02 pm »
I got it working. In a desperate attempt I did the "reset" of the scope again.

https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/what-do-i-do-if-my-oscilloscope-is-frozen-or-hanging/

I realize that when I was doing the reset previously I might have the Ethernet cable connected. This time I disconnected everything, including the mouse. I left the 4 input probe cables connected, thought. I power cycled the scope by the power button and then immediately started pressing the Math button 2-3 times/second until the scope completely booted. Everything was reset. Then without connecting the USB mouse or doing anything else, I connected the input Ethernet cable. The LAN setting was at Automatic (DHCP). Then without doing anything else I opened the browser (Chrome) and everything worked. Then tried TightVNC connection and it showed up immediately.

So if this happens to anybody, make sure to disconnect everything, go through the "reset" procedure using Math button, and then connect Ethernet before connecting anything else. That worked for me.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Martin

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:09 pm »
Oh good you got there in the end.  :phew:

As you've updated the firmware now, be sure you run the AutoCal when you get a chance, DO REMOVE everything from inputs. set it going and then wander off and get a coffee.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 08:00:06 pm »
Thanks for the AutoCal suggestion. Will do.

I have an update about the solution. Once I power cycled the scope the VNC stopped working again. Since I saw it working, I suspected that it might be caused by some connections during the power cycle or reboot (they act the same). The culprit was my Logitech wireless mouse, model M310. I had the USB wireless mouse little receiver plugged to the bottom USB input on the front panel. Once I removed the USB wireless mouse receiver and rebooted or power cycled the scope, with Ethernet cable plugged in or unplugged during the reboot (it did not matter), then the VNC server started again. Then when I plugged the USB wireless mouse receiver back to the bottom USB input on the front panel the mouse started working and the VNC server kept running.
I tried to move the USB wireless mouse receiver to upper USB input on the front panel and rebooted. Then the VNC server started with the USB wireless mouse receiver plugged in during the reboot! So the "reset" I did really had nothing to do with the solution, but during that operation I made sure there was nothing connected to any of the USB ports, which seemed to be the issue.

To summarize: If there is an issue with VNC server starting, make sure you have nothing connected to the bottom USB input on the front panel. I would extrapolate that if there is a further issue, make sure there is nothing connected to any USB port during power cycle/reboot.

I tried to recreate the issue several times and I can reliable kill the VNC server start by having the USB wireless mouse receiver in the bottom USB input on the front panel. I may try to send Siglent e-mail, if Siglent is reading this they might look into it.

I actually got a call back from SiglentNA person after I left a message with different issue last week and we have a nice conversation, but this was before I figured out the issue described above. I mentioned the VNC server issue and the reset I had to do and he mentioned that there were looking into it to make it more stable.

Martin

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 08:04:12 pm »
Great thanks Martin.
I'll take your findings to Siglent's private forum.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:51:50 pm »
Tautech,

Thanks a lot. This is off topic but I don't want to start another thread. Please, if possible, when you are talking to Siglent, could you please pass the following observation/suggestion?

The SDS5034X is a really fine machine, but one thing on use interface really nags me.  :)

The Horizontal -> Position knob sets both trigger location and, in Zoom mode, it allows the zoom window to be moved left and right. In regular mode, when setting the trigger position, the knob is accelerated (faster rotation increases the speed of the move), even thought I would prefer the accelerated speed to be a bit higher. However, in Zoom mode, when trying to move the zoom window left and right, the knob is not accelerated and the zoom window moves in fine increments only no matter what. It is impossible to use the knob to move a narrow zoom window from the center of the screen to its edges, where the region of interest might lie. Also grabbing the narrow zoom window by a mouse turned out to be challenging at times and requires one to move the hand form the buttons/knobs to the mouse and back.

I mentioned it to SiglentNA and they acknowledged that there was not a secret setting to accelerate the knob in zoom mode. Please, could you pass this feedback to Siglent? Since Zoom is used so often, at least by me, it would make the user experience quite a bit smoother. Not a deal breaker, just an irritant.

Thanks.

Martin

The following users thanked this post: desertgreg, andreamazzai

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 09:02:10 pm »
Martin there are some other features that may help with H-Pos management.

Namely the Ref Pos feature in the Utility menu.
Below are a couple of screenshots at different timebases showing the H-Pos unchanged and the Ref Pos menu open.
Have a play around with these to see if they will help with your workflow.

Best thread for all things SDS5000X is:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/at-last-siglent_s-sds5054x-touchscreen/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the link and suggestions. However, I would still like to see the zoom position know accelerated.  :)
Thanks again for your very prompt replies and help. Much appreciated.

Martin

Offline desertgreg

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 02:54:20 am »
Wow, I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time and your solution worked for me too.  I had a wireless mouse plugged in and when I removed that and rebooted, the Instrument Control works again! 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 03:03:54 am »
Wow, I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time and your solution worked for me too.  I had a wireless mouse plugged in and when I removed that and rebooted, the Instrument Control works again!
Do make sure you have the firmware right up to date with these SDS5000X models as there have been some nice fruits added in the latest V0.9.7R2.
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=4
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline desertgreg

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 04:30:21 am »
Sadly, I just updated the firmware, re-installed the mouse and rebooted and.....  no more instrument control web page.  Removed the mouse and rebooted, instrument control works again.  At least I can work around the problem.  No more taking cell phone pictures of the screen!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:29:35 am »
Sadly, I just updated the firmware, re-installed the mouse and rebooted and.....  no more instrument control web page.  Removed the mouse and rebooted, instrument control works again.  At least I can work around the problem.  No more taking cell phone pictures of the screen!
Is it a Bluetooth mouse by any chance ?

Siglent for their new SDS6000A scopes and SNA5000A VNA’s supply a rapoo M218 wireless mouse that I also used with our SDS5054X scope without issues before we sold it.

Can you possibly test with a wired USB or other wireless mice ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline desertgreg

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 02:33:47 pm »
Ok it is a logitech m315 mouse and if its plugged in to either usb port VNC doesn't work or doesnt' start up.  I found a wired usb mouse and vnc does work when the scope is booted with the wired mouse plugged in.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 08:08:30 pm »
Ok it is a logitech m315 mouse and if its plugged in to either usb port VNC doesn't work or doesnt' start up.  I found a wired usb mouse and vnc does work when the scope is booted with the wired mouse plugged in.
Is this issue USB port dependent ?
Did you try all ports with the mouse dongle ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline desertgreg

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 12:49:05 am »
A wireless mouse plugged into either USB port during boot causes the instrument control page to break / not work.  I even just got a Rapoo mouse from amazon (though not the exact model you mentioned) and just tried it in both ports -> instrument control page breaks.  (these mice are probably all the same inside but I would*really* like this to work so I tried...)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 01:30:49 am »
A wireless mouse plugged into either USB port during boot causes the instrument control page to break / not work.  I even just got a Rapoo mouse from amazon (though not the exact model you mentioned) and just tried it in both ports -> instrument control page breaks.  (these mice are probably all the same inside but I would*really* like this to work so I tried...)
Great, thanks very much for your full tests, will report to Siglent.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 09:58:17 pm »
Great, thanks very much for your full tests, will report to Siglent.  :clap:
desertgreg reports the beta firmware Siglent has and shared with him solved the wireless mouse/webserver boot issue.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf