Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 166548 times)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's coming
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2024, 09:36:31 am »
@ebastler:

Measuring SDS2104Xplus at work:
Standby : 232V, 21mA, 4W, PF 0.89
On, all channel : 232V, 209mA, 48W, PF 0.997

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, tautech, ebastler, 2N3055, Mortymore

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2024, 09:22:56 pm »
Anyway, the 1204X HD now showed up in white instead of anthracite on Aliexpress:
https://de.aliexpress.com/i/1005005399190521.html

If that offer is indeed real (i have some doubts), the pricing seems more in line with the 2K HD unit.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2024, 09:29:09 pm »
Just forget about it.
Remnants of the outdated version at moon prices.

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2024, 09:50:05 pm »
Wouldn't dream of buying it on AliX. Bricks are considerably cheaper at Bauhaus. |O

Once it hits JR or Batronix, I'm putting down my money.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2024, 11:33:55 pm »
In about 2 weeks we will all be smarter.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: February 13, 2024, 05:04:00 am »
In about 2 weeks we will all be smarter.

I doubt that.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #331 on: February 13, 2024, 05:37:08 am »
So I started looking at this unit today, spent a few hours with it doing the review video and looking at it a bit.

Power usage....

~31W when on regardless of how many channels are in use, 4W when in standby.

Power factor around 0.6

I found some bugs :-) BUT I am pretty sure one of those bugs have been around for a while as I am sure I saw it on one of my other scopes years ago.

I also managed to crash it once, but couldn't replicate it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 05:40:31 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: tautech, ebastler, orzel, pope

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2024, 09:24:28 am »
80W max power consumption is not exactly suitable for battery support.

If a more portable DSO is needed Siglent's SHS800X with inbuilt Lithium is already available:
https://int.siglent.com/products-overview/shs800x/

I didn't realized it was 80W, haven't checked datasheet, that way forget my suggestion.
You need to.
80W is max and 40W typical.

I've checked datasheet of micsig TO2004 and power consumption is <60W, power adapter is 12V 5A, higher then the SDS800X series, so an external DC connection could be very interesting to have in these new scopes. BTW why manufacturers don't include in bench oscilloscopes a way to use an external DC power supply? is it because of triggering option with AC source?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2024, 09:46:40 am »
... BTW why manufacturers don't include in bench oscilloscopes a way to use an external DC power supply? is it because of triggering option with AC source?

Maybe because they are bench oscilloscopes, not portable oscilloscopes  ;)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2024, 12:10:07 pm »

If a more portable DSO is needed Siglent's SHS800X with inbuilt Lithium is already available:

I didn't realized it was 80W, haven't checked datasheet, that way forget my suggestion.
You need to.

I've checked datasheet of micsig TO2004 and power consumption is <60W, power adapter is 12V 5A, higher then the SDS800X series, so an external DC connection could be very interesting to have in these new scopes. BTW why manufacturers don't include in bench oscilloscopes a way to use an external DC power supply? is it because of triggering option with AC source?

We are all different..

I personally hate benchtop devices with separate PSU. One of my new PC monitors (screen) has that stupid oversized plug in PSU. Which is pain to plug in and takes lot of space. Instead of just putting it in monitor, there is enough space for. It does not have to be so idiotically thin. It is a desktop monitor..

SDS800X HD boots in less than 40 seconds. Just plug it in somewhere else. It is as easy...

For more convenience, you have to pay up for portable equipment. I have Micsig to carry it out of the office. It is simple but more than powerful enough for basic troubleshooting and if it cannot do the job, work has to be transported back to office...

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2024, 12:48:02 pm »
... BTW why manufacturers don't include in bench oscilloscopes a way to use an external DC power supply? is it because of triggering option with AC source?

Owon has a bench scope with battery, making it a portable scope. bench is not the proper argument  :P

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2024, 01:05:22 pm »

Owon has a bench scope with battery, making it a portable scope. bench is not the proper argument  :P

I would argue mentioning Owon is not proper argument.  :-DD

You don't get to choose what is proper argument for me making case.
You have right to ignore my opinion, not to choose how am I allowed to argue my case...

And we only informed you how industry looks at it. Bench is bench..

Once people start making nomadic(c) oscilloscopes they will have their own category.

Benchtop instruments are established category. Mains powered, tabletop instruments. As opposed to handheld, portable batter powered instruments. They are divided that way, because design priorities and compromises are vastly different.

So simply, you need to buy portable scope. You are allowed to use it at the bench too.. 

And most of the benchtop scopes would need battery pack that would double the weight of the scope.  It would not be as portable as you think.
Similarly, if you had DC power input, you would still had to carry scope and battery pack at the same time.
It is easier to just plug it in somewhere else in the lab.

If you are going outside of the lab, you need proper portable (handheld) scope. Trust me. Holding a benchtop scope with battery pack, while on a ladder 2m up, poking into small enclosure with electronics is not fun...
Anywhere else you go, where you have desk, you will have power outlet too.. And by the time you unpack, boot time is irrelevant...

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #337 on: February 13, 2024, 01:11:21 pm »

You need to.

We are all different..

I personally hate benchtop devices with separate PSU. One of my new PC monitors (screen) has that stupid oversized plug in PSU. Which is pain to plug in and takes lot of space. Instead of just putting it in monitor, there is enough space for. It does not have to be so idiotically thin. It is a desktop monitor..

SDS800X HD boots in less than 40 seconds. Just plug it in somewhere else. It is as easy...

For more convenience, you have to pay up for portable equipment. I have Micsig to carry it out of the office. It is simple but more than powerful enough for basic troubleshooting and if it cannot do the job, work has to be transported back to office...

Well in case of a power failure a DC option would be nice to keep working . Another reason is that we will be able to keep using the same piece of equipment without having to spend time learning the new equipment, with short deadlines is important. I'm used to Siglent equipments, micsig is something I never try so learning time is a factor to consider. Anyway it's possible to use a bench scope with DC power, I do that with a 54V battery pack connected to AC input of SDS1202X-E or SDS1204X-E

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #338 on: February 13, 2024, 01:19:12 pm »

You have right to ignore my opinion, not to choose how am I allowed to argue my case...

Once people start making nomadic(c) oscilloscopes they will have their own category.

Benchtop instruments are established category. Mains powered, tabletop instruments. As opposed to handheld, portable batter powered instruments. They are divided that way, because design priorities and compromises are vastly different.

So simply, you need to buy portable scope. You are allowed to use it at the bench too.. 

And most of the benchtop scopes would need battery pack that would double the weight of the scope.  It would not be as portable as you think.
Similarly, if you had DC power input, you would still had to carry scope and battery pack at the same time.

If you are going outside of the lab, you need proper portable (handheld) scope. Trust me. Holding a benchtop scope with battery pack, while on a ladder 2m up, poking into small enclosure with electronics is not fun...
Anywhere else you go, where you have desk, you will have power outlet too.. And by the time you unpack, boot time is irrelevant...

My friend, everybody has the right to express their own opinion, you can  argue your case the way you want I respect that, don't worry. but a bench scope with proper DC conection will improve his versatility, has i said before bench is not a valid argument, why? because people with portable scopes use them also on the bench, so if we follow the bench line of thought we weren't allowed to use them on bench  :-DD

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2024, 01:32:09 pm »

My friend, everybody has the right to express their own opinion, you can  argue your case the way you want I respect that, don't worry. but a bench scope with proper DC conection will improve his versatility, has i said before bench is not a valid argument, why? because people with portable scopes use them also on the bench, so if we follow the bench line of thought we weren't allowed to use them on bench  :-DD

No, no, by all means, if you like carrying around car battery and scope please, by all means you have my blessing. :-DD

Seriously, I just try to explain that in a lab, from PRACTICALITY standpoint I PERSONALLY find it to be easier to just plug scope somewhere else if I have to move scope somewhere else.
Instead of carrying both scope and battery, which is literally more work to do.

If I have no electricity, that means I sit in the dark... I cannot continue work.
For power brownouts (short power interruptions that might reset something) I solve it by using UPS.

If I go outside lab, I have to have handheld equipment. You don't have desk and place to put your scope and battery.
If you visit some place where you also sit in someone else's office you have electricity there too. In which case bench scope that is 2 kg is better to carry than one the is 4 kg with battery, and will work only for few hours before battery is dead.

There is literally no NEED for Frankenscope that will be neither bench nor portable. It might seem to be cool, but it is not useful.
At least not useful enough for anybody to take it seriously..

Best,

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #340 on: February 13, 2024, 01:45:40 pm »
Well in case of a power failure a DC option would be nice to keep working.

As long as your devices under test are all battery-operated too, and you are good at placing probes in the dark.  :)

we all carry flashlights in our pocket so nobody stays in the dark  :-+
90% of what I do is battery operated.

but let me put it this way, I need a portable 4CH scope solution, and I'm really addictive to SDS800X and how Siglent works. I want to buy a 4CH portable scope but Oops! there's no 4CH option from Siglent, would be so nice that my new SDS800X be allowed to connect to the lighter of the car or battery, versatility is the key.

In the promotional video from Siglent they mention the portable factor but that's nothing new if we need a AC power plug on destination location. It is the same with other brands.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2024, 01:49:01 pm »

We are all different..

I personally hate benchtop devices with separate PSU.

And someways similar, also dislike bench top devices with separate PSU and that require a laptop and/or display.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk, 2N3055

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2024, 02:02:21 pm »

If it is to be battery powered, other brands also have them, like Micsig or Tektronix

https://www.tek.com/en/blog/benchtop-oscilloscope-innovation-with-the-new-2-series-mso

Call them bench or hybrid oscilloscopes, is an option.

If the battery option is added, cost is added. In the lower end it makes no sense to add extra cost to serve a few.
When the question was put about an external power source, I was thinking in something like the Rigol 800, that uses an external power supply.

I prefer an internal PSU on a bench oscilloscope, properly shielded, in order to not add more stuff to the mess of cables. But, that's just me

EDIT: In form factor terms, seems to me that your best option is something like the Micsig has to offer. Since the SHS scopes are relatively new, I don't see Siglent releasing a portable 4 channel scope in the short term. But some forum members here know best.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 02:16:09 pm by Mortymore »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2024, 03:16:43 pm »
Well in case of a power failure a DC option would be nice to keep working.

As long as your devices under test are all battery-operated too, and you are good at placing probes in the dark.  :)

we all carry flashlights in our pocket so nobody stays in the dark  :-+
90% of what I do is battery operated.

but let me put it this way, I need a portable 4CH scope solution, and I'm really addictive to SDS800X and how Siglent works. I want to buy a 4CH portable scope but Oops! there's no 4CH option from Siglent, would be so nice that my new SDS800X be allowed to connect to the lighter of the car or battery, versatility is the key.

In the promotional video from Siglent they mention the portable factor but that's nothing new if we need a AC power plug on destination location. It is the same with other brands.
Then buy a Rigol 800 series, with the USB-PD input and power it from a powerbank. Good luck!

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2024, 03:19:44 pm »
You could always use a computer type battery backup if you're really worried about power outages or having an anchor to carry with your scope for portability.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2024, 04:44:56 pm »
And there we go again….

It is not a portable class device, so no battery.

I too hate seperate power bricks, they are a compromise in design and don’t last as well as a built in supply.

Sure a manufacturer COULD add a DC jack, but most people would never need it as it is a BENCH scope. Adding the jack would increase the cost for everyone, even those that don’t use it, which goes against the entire idea of a lower cost scope that only has what you need on it.

If you want a portable scope, buy a portable scope.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:47:47 pm by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2024, 04:56:09 pm »

Then buy a Rigol 800 series, with the USB-PD input and power it from a powerbank. Good luck!

I'm also following the rigol 800 thread about powerbanks, looks like not all work with rigol. I prefer to build my battery pack because i have thousand of cells available and allow me to assemble any configuration I want. But for the price I get a Rigol 800 around 500€, micsig comes into the formula. I don't need 12bit scope but large aquire memory, the more the better, along with good sample rate. Unfortunately there's no used micsig scopes available, so it must be brand new, meaning higher investment.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #347 on: February 13, 2024, 05:05:30 pm »

I'm also following the rigol 800 thread about powerbanks, looks like not all work with rigol. I prefer to build my battery pack because i have thousand of cells available and allow me to assemble any configuration I want. But for the price I get a Rigol 800 around 500€, micsig comes into the formula. I don't need 12bit scope but large aquire memory, the more the better, along with good sample rate. Unfortunately there's no used micsig scopes available, so it must be brand new, meaning higher investment.
Maybe you can build your own scope as well. Then if would fulfill your own very special requirements.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #348 on: February 13, 2024, 06:19:16 pm »

Maybe you can build your own scope as well. Then if would fulfill your own very special requirements.

Who knows if some day siglent or rigol or other manufacturers release a special scope for guys like me that enjoy building puzzles  :-DD, and then I could add a DC module and add a +DC to the end of the model label :-DD

Don't be afraid, sales won't drop because of a simple DC option request that is not difficult to add and won't increase final price absurdly. Siglent new model sales won't be affected by this.  :palm:

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #349 on: February 13, 2024, 06:46:07 pm »
Maybe you need a scope like this…
Cheers Scott

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf