Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 189445 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's coming
« Reply #350 on: February 13, 2024, 06:51:27 pm »

Then buy a Rigol 800 series, with the USB-PD input and power it from a powerbank. Good luck!

I'm also following the rigol 800 thread about powerbanks, looks like not all work with rigol. I prefer to build my battery pack because i have thousand of cells available and allow me to assemble any configuration I want. But for the price I get a Rigol 800 around 500€, micsig comes into the formula. I don't need 12bit scope but large aquire memory, the more the better, along with good sample rate. Unfortunately there's no used micsig scopes available, so it must be brand new, meaning higher investment.
Maybe you can build your own scope as well. Then if would fulfill your own very special requirements.

Who knows if some day siglent or rigol or other manufacturers release a special scope for guys like me that enjoy building puzzles  :-DD, and then I could add a DC module and add a +DC to the end of the model label :-DD

Don't be afraid, sales won't drop because of a simple DC option request that is not difficult to add and won't increase final price absurdly. Siglent new model sales won't be affected by this.  :palm:

I think that is wrong address.

You should really write to Lego to make you a scope....

And as always, single connector added to device does not matter from connector BOM price.
Go ask people that design battery/charger/power management solutions for laptop how easy it is to have multisource power source..

Fact that hobby users like to improvise/hack/abuse equipment and sometimes make something that does not kill device despite being ludicrous is something real manufacturers don't do
They have to design proper power controller, test it, etc etc...
That cost real money. And when price is higher to 10000 users because of 5 people that asked for that "feature" and then you will say "well it is too expensive now, I will get something cheaper"..

So basically they ignore "unusual" requests and don't provide "gimick" features. And believe me, their sales aren't impacted by this. Quite the opposite...

Like tszaboo said, why are you forcing this? There are Micsigs, and also Rigol DHO800 with it's Type C power connector. Either save up for Micsig (my recomendation) or get Rigol 800 and live with how "well" it is made.

Or just get used to it that bench equipment use power cable...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:54:12 pm by 2N3055 »

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #351 on: February 13, 2024, 07:12:34 pm »
Anyway it's possible to use a bench scope with DC power, I do that with a 54V battery pack connected to AC input of SDS1202X-E or SDS1204X-E
Nice, then expect the same form factor SDS800X HD to work with a battery pack also as it likely uses the exact same PSU as the 4ch X-E models.....maybe that's something Defpom can confirm.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2024, 07:38:18 pm »
Anyway it's possible to use a bench scope with DC power, I do that with a 54V battery pack connected to AC input of SDS1202X-E or SDS1204X-E
Nice, then expect the same form factor SDS800X HD to work with a battery pack also as it likely uses the exact same PSU as the 4ch X-E models.....maybe that's something Defpom can confirm.

54V into PSU is forcing input circuits to work with much higher currents than normal... It is operating outside PSU operating parameters...
Do at your own risk...

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2024, 08:38:45 pm »
maybe that's something Defpom can confirm.
I haven’t done a tear down on it… should I?
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2024, 08:51:08 pm »
maybe that's something Defpom can confirm.
I haven’t done a tear down on it… should I?
Owner approves.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, orzel

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2024, 09:40:59 pm »
Quote from: 2N3055

Like tszaboo said, why are you forcing this? There are Micsigs, and also Rigol DHO800 with it's Type C power connector. Either save up for Micsig (my recomendation) or get Rigol 800 and live with how "well" it is made.

Or just get used to it that bench equipment use power cable...

I'm not forcing anything, I posted a simple comment and some of you start spitting shit, with bad education man, like everybody should follow their vision of things like zombies.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2024, 09:42:04 pm »
Maybe you need a scope like this…

That's how you wish you next scope to be?  :-DD

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2024, 09:56:25 pm »
lol.

My suggestion to solve your DC powered issue it to buy one, open it up and remove the power supply, and replace it with a built in battery pack with BMS, and add a charging port… you would then have exactly what you want.

Now, can we get back on topic and keep discussions about the SDS800X HD, it is so annoying trying to read about a device and have 90% of the comments nothing to do with it.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, 2N3055, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2024, 03:07:35 am »
Teardown video has been recorded... I now have nearly 35GB of footage to edit !

Here is something to keep you satisfied until my reviews are published...

Cheers Scott

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, thm_w, Muxr, Mortymore, orzel, mawyatt, hallkbrdz

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2024, 03:08:43 am »
And some more...
Cheers Scott

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, core, orzel

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2024, 06:02:57 am »
You don't need a big power brick for modern low-end equipment, most of it is sub 65 watts..
and the latest GAN 65W PD (20v 3.25A) chargers are tiny and around the size of an Apple AirPods casing, so they just sit at the wall outlet like a normal plug...

The 45W modern GAN variant 15V 3A is even smaller, so of course vendors could go with a modern interface like TypeC even on non-portable units.
and on some units, AC to DC PSU leave some to be desired, and can be advantageous to have that aspect away from the unit, not to mention the ability to use others.

The following users thanked this post: ptluis

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2024, 09:31:59 am »

This looks to me a very cost optimized design compared to the 2000HD series. That one has FPGAs peppered all over the place like bypassing capacitors, here we are only presented with one SOC doing everything. Probably a Zync. Hopefully we get good prices here in the EU.
Does anyone know what TI SN1272 is?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2024, 09:44:39 am »
Does anyone know what TI SN1272 is?

No clue.. Couldn't find datasheet. But aparently, you can buy it... Many places in China sell the chip...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2024, 06:44:51 pm »

This looks to me a very cost optimized design compared to the 2000HD series. That one has FPGAs peppered all over the place like bypassing capacitors, here we are only presented with one SOC doing everything. Probably a Zync.
Well the mainboard is just half the size of the 2000 series so expect a lot more devices on the hidden side in a more compact design.

Hopefully we get good prices here in the EU.
Seen pricing and it's excellent for an instrument with these capabilities.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: orzel

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2024, 08:52:52 pm »
This looks to me a very cost optimized design compared to the 2000HD series. That one has FPGAs peppered all over the place like bypassing capacitors, here we are only presented with one SOC doing everything. Probably a Zync.
Well the mainboard is just half the size of the 2000 series so expect a lot more devices on the hidden side in a more compact design.

I don't think so, nothing big at least. Memory bandwidth can be a serious bottleneck with the solo Zynq architecture. My guess is it can handle 2 GSa/s total (barely) but not 4 GSa/s (+ full LA) like on the 2000HD. That would also explain why they seem to have 2 ADCs but still drop to 1 GSa/s with 2 channels.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2024, 09:00:05 pm »

I don't think so, nothing big at least. Memory bandwidth can be a serious bottleneck with the solo Zynq architecture. My guess is it can handle 2 GSa/s total (barely) but not 4 GSa/s (+ full LA) like on the 2000HD. That would also explain why they seem to have 2 ADCs but still drop to 1 GSa/s with 2 channels.
Datasheet clearly states SDS800X HD sampling rates which are identical to the larger display SDS1000X HD:
Sample rate
One channel mode: 2 GSa/s,
Two channel mode: 1 GSa/s,
Four channel mode: 500 MSa/s
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2024, 09:10:18 pm »
Yes, unlike the 2000HD which does 2/2/1 GSa/s IIRC, so it needs to handle 4 GSa/s in total. I have not seen the 1000HD PCB. I would expect it to have more in common with the 800 than the 2000.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2024, 10:10:54 pm »
This looks to me a very cost optimized design compared to the 2000HD series.

After the teardown of the 2k HD(Dave), some were "complaining" that the design was oldschool - with so many ICs for it... ;)

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2024, 08:17:58 am »
Well, my Siglent distributor confirmed the European release of the 800X HD, 1000X HD and 3000X HD for February 28th.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Warhawk, Mortymore, orzel, roy_eedreku, Silver_Is_Money

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2024, 02:25:31 pm »
Well, my Siglent distributor confirmed the European release of the 800X HD, 1000X HD and 3000X HD for February 28th.
Any word on the North American release date?

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2024, 02:39:16 pm »
And some more...

Power rails are marked with the purpose, such as "3.3V VGA" "1v9 ADC" or "5V channel B" !
I love how the duplicated frontends share the same parts refs with just he channel letter inbetween, such as "CB26" and "CA26".

I wonder what's the deal with the unpopulated input capacitor "CX3" ? In case the trimming caps aren't enough ?

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2024, 03:02:12 pm »
Any word on the North American release date?
I'd doubt they would know, but I would expect that the EU/US units are identical, as even the current models have 100-240VAC input voltage. So the only difference should be the power cord in the box.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2024, 05:57:54 pm »
my Siglent distributor

I had already pre-ordered an SDS3034X HD from "my" distributor at the beginning of January.
The delivery date is in March.
I think the fact that ALL models will be on the market is the biggest coup.
Bad for the competition. ;)
Given the demonstrations of the possibilities in the thread in my signature, even very bad for the competition.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2024, 06:51:21 pm »
I had already pre-ordered an SDS3034X HD from "my" distributor at the beginning of January.

You have a VIP relation with them ? Or it's possible for anyone to do so ? Just curious, those are out of my budget (and out of my needs, too, but who cares ?).
I don't see those listed on any western resellers, even with "pre-order, not yet available".

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2024, 07:39:39 pm »
I've bought almost everything from them over the last few years, including all my previous scopes.
Maybe that helps a little.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf