Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 121308 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1075 on: March 28, 2024, 09:09:11 am »
Auto and Default button should have confirmation, if you ask me...

Or at least not be right next to each other - can't count the number of times I accidently hit "Preset" when I meant to hit "Autoset"  :palm:

Go to Keysight or R&S and demand features... We have Paul here from R&S and he can explain how it works. If manufacturer can make some changes they will gladly do it, if possible (technically) and if it is appropriate to the device class and if it fits in their long term strategy.

There is a lot that goes into deciding what features we add to our instruments.  Some planned features may not be available at launch but are added early on in the product life cycle.  Some features are added at customer request or to address a competitive situation.  Some features are added but at additional cost (license), especially for newer technologies that didn't exist when the product was launched or for technologies that represent a significant engineering expense. 

One thing that we don't typically do is (radically) change the GUI or user interface unless absolutely necessary.  For every customer who wants you to change something, there is another customer who likes things just the way they are.

There is also the issue of test automation - changing the way things are done in a GUI sometimes also necessitates changing the underlying SCPI commands, and that is a big no-no for customers who make heavy use of automation.

So yeah, it's a complex situation.  That said, we always welcome comments, feedback, suggestions, etc. from all of our customers, including hobbyists.  Yes, the feedback from large customers tends to carry more weight, but some of our best feature enhancements have come from "average" customers.  I have had the "every-single-customer-I-meet-with-wants-this-feature" conversation more times than I can remember :)

Paul,

great of you to chime in...

Yes, even a single customer suggestions sometimes go in and become part of toolset. If it is a great suggestion that enhances the instrument and is technically viable.
That is why I said manufacturers like feedback, but you need to explain it, make your case...

Best,

Siniša

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #1076 on: March 28, 2024, 09:31:59 am »
Can the confirmation for Auto Setup be turned off (disabled)?

My old HP scope does not do this.

It really does hold me up having to go back and press Continue.

At present, you can execute it by pressing the "Auto Setup" physical button twice.
The Wanted Features list have added whether a second confirmation is required.

Removing confirmations on functions that reconfigure many settings on a scope you just took 10 minutes to setup is bad idea in my opinion.

"This operation will format your drive C:. Do you want to continue?" Definitely good to have confirmation sometimes.  Auto and Default button should have confirmation, if you ask me...

So using a compromise solution and adding a menu setting, if the user sets it without confirmation, it is the customer's responsibility.Factory default requires confirmation.
It is recommended that everyone get used to the current solution. Pressing the physical buttons twice doesn't make much difference.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:35:14 am by electronics hobbyist »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: March 28, 2024, 09:35:24 am »
Can the confirmation for Auto Setup be turned off (disabled)?

My old HP scope does not do this.

It really does hold me up having to go back and press Continue.

At present, you can execute it by pressing the "Auto Setup" physical button twice.
The Wanted Features list have added whether a second confirmation is required.

Removing confirmations on functions that reconfigure many settings on a scope you just took 10 minutes to setup is bad idea in my opinion.

"This operation will format your drive C:. Do you want to continue?" Definitely good to have confirmation sometimes.  Auto and Default button should have confirmation, if you ask me...

So using a compromise solution and adding a menu setting, if the user sets it without confirmation, it is the customer's responsibility.
It is recommended that everyone get used to the current solution. Pressing the physical buttons twice doesn't make much difference.

Yes I agree that making it user configurable option is good solution, as long as factory default is to ask for confirmation..

The following users thanked this post: electronics hobbyist

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #1078 on: March 28, 2024, 09:37:53 am »
could anyone who owns this scope play this song through it?

i would like to see how it looks on a proper 12 bit oscilloscope

i recorded the song as seen on the AD2

thank you!

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2024, 10:27:13 am »
I'm curious to see whether these "low cost" instruments start penetrating the academic market in the United States.  Most universities seem to either still buy instruments from the "major" manufacturers, or they have their students buy their own "personal" all-in-one instruments such as the Digilent Analog Discovery.  Are any universities in the United States buying Siglents, etc. instruments in bulk for their labs? 
I’m an engineer and not a marketing person, so I can’t answer that.

Yet I once had a peek at the most noteworthy Siglent customers in the US. I counted 7 colleges and 69 universities, including some really famous ones. That was in 2018. Siglent’s offers have massively gained attractivity since then (e.g. SDS800X HD vs. SDS1202X-E), so I suppose this brand would be even more popular in the US educational market nowadays.

Even if this was not the case, the Chinese educational market is way bigger anyway.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, pdenisowski

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1080 on: March 28, 2024, 12:39:08 pm »
I'm curious to see whether these "low cost" instruments start penetrating the academic market in the United States.  Most universities seem to either still buy instruments from the "major" manufacturers, or they have their students buy their own "personal" all-in-one instruments such as the Digilent Analog Discovery.  Are any universities in the United States buying Siglents, etc. instruments in bulk for their labs? 

List of Siglent some customers who use Siglent instruments. There is also some US universities.
List is published in Siglent (HQ) web sides 2024

It is also good to remember that the product is not just something inside the delivery box. The whole product is much more, especially when going mainstream away from the narrow small hobbyist market. The development of all aspects related to this is a really "the long march", which has only just begun.

ETA: Some client corporations operate in many industry segments
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:20:36 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: March 28, 2024, 04:55:56 pm »
The development of all aspects related to this is a really "the long march", which has only just begun.

That is a very weird comparison. :o A bit like if a UK company said "it's our Dunkirk really".

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, BillyO

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1082 on: March 28, 2024, 05:45:58 pm »
The development of all aspects related to this is a really "the long march", which has only just begun.

That is a very weird comparison. :o A bit like if a UK company said "it's our Dunkirk really".

Fortunately or unfortunately, we may have a slightly different culture and history than yours, and with that the statements are also interpreted in different ways.
 :)
Long marches are, at least for us here, an effort aimed at good results, challenging, difficult and require ability, perseverance and determination.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: March 28, 2024, 06:14:08 pm »
A XY plot tryout: a BC547B curve tracing

2087972-1

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, egonotto, Omega Glory, 2N3055, Martin72

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: March 28, 2024, 07:13:42 pm »

Indeed. I guess the intended meaning was something like: " Siglent is a very good brand, offers very good products which compete favourably both in price and features with "A" brands, thanks to sustained hard work.
It also has good market penetration already, both in corporate and educational environments".
But yeah, that doesn't sound quite so theatrical or grandiose.
Edit: sorry, and also "we will keep on it and things will be even better."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 07:19:02 pm by Antonio90 »

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #1085 on: March 28, 2024, 09:23:12 pm »

Long March (长征) is also the name of China's main launch vehicle - they put their first satellite into orbit in 1970 using the first generation "Long March" rocket and they're up to version 11 (LM11) as of today.  So maybe a somewhat appropriate metaphor :)

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, egonotto, 2N3055

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1086 on: March 28, 2024, 09:33:05 pm »

Long March (长征) is also the name of China's main launch vehicle - they put their first satellite into orbit in 1970 using the first generation "Long March" rocket and they're up to version 11 (LM11) as of today.  So maybe a somewhat appropriate metaphor :)
I doubt that was the focus. And quoting a key event of the bloodiest political party in history, from one of the bloodiest wars in history to answer your question about educational use of Siglent gear seems quite out of place.
But yeah, whatever.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1087 on: March 28, 2024, 09:43:51 pm »
I doubt that was the focus. And quoting a key event of the bloodiest political party in history, from one of the bloodiest wars in history to answer your question about educational use of Siglent gear seems quite out of place.
But yeah, whatever.

Let's not get political here. I'm American, our history is ugly. So is Spain's, so is the rest of the world.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: March 28, 2024, 09:47:10 pm »
But yeah, whatever.

Let's not get political here. I'm American, our history is ugly. So is Spain's, so is the rest of the world.
Yes. That's why I don't quote bloody, ugly, political war stuff to answer simple questions, and neither do you AFAIK. But yeah, I'll stop at that.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1089 on: March 29, 2024, 01:03:15 am »
Yes. That's why I don't quote bloody, ugly, political war stuff to answer simple questions, and neither do you AFAIK. But yeah, I'll stop at that.

If I was going to, it would be in the form of a clip from "History of the World Part 1." Mel Brooks is more my style. 😉
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: March 29, 2024, 05:15:41 am »
Your posts are slightly offtopic...
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #1091 on: March 29, 2024, 06:12:00 am »
Just a heads up for those in Australia interested in acquiring these new Siglent SDS800X HD Series Oscilloscopes.   :-DMM

Appvision have now listed them on their website with pricing and rumour has it they will arrive around the 1st of May, so another 4 weeks or so of reading about other peoples experiences with the new SDS800X HD series.   ::) 

https://appvision.com.au/index.php?id_category=167&controller=category&order=product.price.asc

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: March 29, 2024, 09:23:51 pm »
Just a heads up for those in Australia interested in acquiring these new Siglent SDS800X HD Series Oscilloscopes.   :-DMM

Good lord, how do you folks afford anything?  Why are the prices so high?  I got my SDS804X-HD here in the original land of inflated prices, Canada, for $615 in your dollar including shipping and you poor sots have to pay $737 before shipping?!  Something is wrong.  Do you have a oscilloscope industry to protect?
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1093 on: March 29, 2024, 09:48:07 pm »

Good lord, how do you folks afford anything?  Why are the prices so high?  I got my SDS804X-HD here in the original land of inflated prices, Canada, for $615 in your dollar including shipping and you poor sots have to pay $737 before shipping?!  Something is wrong.  Do you have a oscilloscope industry to protect?
Nah, it's our miserable USD cross rate Bill and the NZD is even worse !  :palm:

We'll be ~$850 NZ plus taxes and shipping for SDS814X HD.
SDS804X HD ~ $735 NZD +
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:59:22 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: March 29, 2024, 10:00:04 pm »
Wow!
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1095 on: March 29, 2024, 10:07:33 pm »
Wow!
At least here import tariffs are 0% as there is no local industry to protect.

However we do see US prices are a little higher than ours in order to recover tariff imposed on stuff from China which is hilarious as the US manufacturing shipped offshore empowered China to compete against US made products.

Give with one hand and take with the other.......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: March 29, 2024, 10:17:29 pm »
At least here import tariffs are 0% as there is no local industry to protect.

Same here in Canada.  No electronics industry to speak of so no tariffs on electronic equipment (for use in electronics) or components. 

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: March 29, 2024, 10:25:41 pm »

List of Siglent some customers who use Siglent instruments. There is also some US universities.
List is published in Siglent (HQ) web sides 2024

It is also good to remember that the product is not just something inside the delivery box. The whole product is much more, especially when going mainstream away from the narrow small hobbyist market. The development of all aspects related to this is a really "the long march", which has only just begun.

Broadcom and Microchip are in there twice.  They must really love Siglent equipment!

GE too!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:27:39 pm by BillyO »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1098 on: March 29, 2024, 10:44:13 pm »
And Toyota... ;)
But it doesn't matter, I notice from our customers when they come to the factory acceptance test that fewer and fewer are surprised by siglent equipment, because it's becoming better known.
I had played around with the demo board a little earlier, no this time not the one from batronix, the STB-3 from siglent.
It has a decoder, noisy pwm and, something the batronix board doesn't have, an "SPO" signal, which is used to demo the super phosphor technology.
@tautech:
I can't decode the I²C signal correctly with the 800X HD either, making it the 6th scope that can't do it - any feedback from siglent yet ?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: March 29, 2024, 11:02:55 pm »
Martin72,
Have you tried I2C sources other than the demo boards?  My only experience with I2C is using various LCD displays with i2c payload, Si5351A chips, and rotary encoders with a Arduino Nano clone microcontroller to control it all.

Could the issue be with the demo boards?

Just trying to eliminate all possibilities here.

- Daniel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf