Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 123113 times)

os911 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1100 on: March 29, 2024, 11:08:42 pm »
Hi Daniel,
After re-reading my post, yes that can be misunderstood.
It's definitely the STB-3, not the oscilloscope - otherwise I wouldn't have written that the 800X HD is the sixth scope where this doesn't work.
My @tautech refers to the firmware of the demoboard, whether there has been any change in feedback.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:10:23 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, radiohomebrewer2000

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1101 on: March 29, 2024, 11:16:16 pm »

@tautech:
I can't decode the I²C signal correctly with the 800X HD either, making it the 6th scope that can't do it - any feedback from siglent yet ?
Zip.
I'll do some more tests and give them another poke, this time directly rather than via the forum.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1102 on: March 30, 2024, 06:40:00 pm »
could anyone who owns this scope play this song through it?
i would like to see how it looks on a proper 12 bit oscilloscope

I was interested in this and so I bought a BNC-RCA adapter and a cinch-jack cable, both of which arrived today.
Well... ;)
That looks kind of funny... ;)
I'll probably have to play with the settings on the Siglent, it had nothing to do with the video, much too washed out and much too slow.
Current settings 5ms/div, 100mV/div, and 10kpts max memory.
Before that I had not set the memory.
Picture shows an excerpt from another video.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Anthocyanina

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1103 on: March 30, 2024, 09:07:21 pm »
So, tried it out again, it looks different, better - and much better than the 1104X-E.
Maybe I'll make a little video of it.
The last settings were already good, it probably won't get any better.
Simple, slower graphics work, the fast stuff remains the domain of analog CRT scopes.
In the end, just a gimmick without much value. ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, Mortymore, Anthocyanina

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2024, 09:16:45 pm »
It's definitely the STB-3, not the oscilloscope - otherwise I wouldn't have written that the 800X HD is the sixth scope where this doesn't work.
My @tautech refers to the firmware of the demoboard, whether there has been any change in feedback.

Sorry if this is a dupe, but have you seen this video?

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Mortymore

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1105 on: March 30, 2024, 09:26:59 pm »
AFAIK Defpoms STB-3 (a gift from Siglent) works as it should.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1106 on: March 30, 2024, 09:36:22 pm »

Hi,

Now yes. ;)
On my board (and on another user's board) it is different, the first four characters of "siglent" are not transmitted.
This is only with the I²C signal, all other decoder signals work.
@tautech:
Can you please take a screenshot of one transmission?
Edit: like this:

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: March 30, 2024, 11:04:00 pm »
Made a short video reproducing the video that Martin72 shared previously, in a Tek2445 and in the SDS804X-HD.
I'm not a youtuber so, forgive me the lack of quality.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #1108 on: March 30, 2024, 11:19:57 pm »
Just a heads up for those in Australia interested in acquiring these new Siglent SDS800X HD Series Oscilloscopes.   :-DMM

Good lord, how do you folks afford anything?  Why are the prices so high?  I got my SDS804X-HD here in the original land of inflated prices, Canada, for $615 in your dollar including shipping and you poor sots have to pay $737 before shipping?!  Something is wrong.  Do you have a oscilloscope industry to protect?
Nah, it's our miserable USD cross rate Bill and the NZD is even worse !  :palm:

We'll be ~$850 NZ plus taxes and shipping for SDS814X HD.
SDS804X HD ~ $735 NZD +
It's also ~200000 HUF. Price and currency is just a number, it doesn't really matter if the number is smaller or bigger, it only matters how it compares to the local purchase power. Even if it is called dollar, because the lack of originality.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: March 30, 2024, 11:41:47 pm »
@tautech:
Can you please take a screenshot of one transmission?
Suitable ?
Squeal if you need more.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:04:26 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1110 on: March 30, 2024, 11:58:23 pm »
Show I²C again, with 100µs/Div., thankyou!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: March 31, 2024, 12:05:23 am »
Show I²C again, with 100µs/Div., thankyou!
Done.
Download, view in image viewer and magnify ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1112 on: March 31, 2024, 12:12:17 am »
Thankyou again rob !  :-+
I´ll think I´ll start a thread for it, not that people still believe that this has anything to do with the scope.

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #1113 on: March 31, 2024, 03:45:39 am »
could anyone who owns this scope play this song through it?
i would like to see how it looks on a proper 12 bit oscilloscope

I was interested in this and so I bought a BNC-RCA adapter and a cinch-jack cable, both of which arrived today.
Well... ;)
That looks kind of funny... ;)
I'll probably have to play with the settings on the Siglent, it had nothing to do with the video, much too washed out and much too slow.
Current settings 5ms/div, 100mV/div, and 10kpts max memory.
Before that I had not set the memory.
Picture shows an excerpt from another video.

cool, thank you! playing the audio from the youtube video will distort it too much. when i first played potential is forever through the AD2, i did it from the outube video audio, and it was pretty much just a ball of noise. chris provides the uncompressed .wav (which to see undistorted you also need to disable any equalizer/dsp, to play the clean waveform) and it looks a lot closer to the artsy software playback he uses in the video

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore, Martin72

Offline whodiini

• Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: March 31, 2024, 06:27:22 pm »
I got so much info from this thread that I purchased the Siglent 804x.  I have a question about probes though.  So I want to make noise measurements, so I want a probe that has better than 20 Mhz bandwidth at 1x.  It would be nice to have 200 Mhz bandwidth at 10x so I only have one probe.  Looking at the threads, is the RIgol PP215 or the PVP2350 the one to get.  Siglents probes dont see to have the specs.  Thanks.

I found the scope to be great except that it doesnt have wifi (yet).  And it is a pain to be having to connect a LAN cable all the time.  So I searched for a solution and found one.  My requirement is for a LAN to wifi bridge that uses USB power that is low and once configured, can be ignored.  I found (in the US) a Vonets VAP11N-300.  Its not the fastest out there, but it is plenty fast and it uses low power. Their spec is .5A but I measured .25A.  It costs $26 in the US from Amazon.  It needs to be configured on a laptop that has both a free ethernet port and USB port.  Plug it in, wait a minute for it to boot, connect to 192.168.254.254 in your browser the first time. Turn off repeater mode, change password, search hotspot and connect to your wifi.  Reboot the unit and it should now work.  After it connects to your wifi, you must now connect to vonets.cfg.  If you want, you can configure the NTP server.   One warning is check the firmware version before attempting to update firmware.  It took overnight for hte firmware to download, so I would skip that if possible.  Then shut down and attach to your Siglent.  When the Siglent boots, it will show 1969 as the date until about a minute.  Then the Vonets finishes booting and the time (if you have configured the NTP server in Siglent) is now correct!  You can now attach the Vonets with double sticky tape to the back of the Siglent. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: March 31, 2024, 07:57:11 pm »
I got so much info from this thread that I purchased the Siglent 804x.  I have a question about probes though.  So I want to make noise measurements, so I want a probe that has better than 20 Mhz bandwidth at 1x.  It would be nice to have 200 Mhz bandwidth at 10x so I only have one probe. 
Siglents probes dont see to have the specs.  Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

This should give you the basic answers on probe specs:
https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/08/Probe_List_008102022.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline whodiini

• Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: April 01, 2024, 04:31:14 am »
Thank you for the list.  But it confuses me to no end.  For example, take the Siglent PP215 probe.  Siglent advertises it as 6Mhz Bandwidth with no attenuation and 200 Mhz with 10x attenuation. (https://www.tequipment.net/Siglent/PP215/Standard-Passive-Oscilloscope-Probes/)   But your list shows it with 200 Mhz bandwidth, which I presume is only for 10x attenuation.  In other words, your list does not show the bandwidth at 1x attenutation.  Is that correct?   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: April 01, 2024, 04:50:41 am »
Thank you for the list.  But it confuses me to no end.  For example, take the Siglent PP215 probe.  Siglent advertises it as 6Mhz Bandwidth with no attenuation and 200 Mhz with 10x attenuation. (https://www.tequipment.net/Siglent/PP215/Standard-Passive-Oscilloscope-Probes/)   But your list shows it with 200 Mhz bandwidth, which I presume is only for 10x attenuation.  In other words, your list does not show the bandwidth at 1x attenuation.  Is that correct?
Yes.

Tip capacitive loading is such that only low impedance signal sources can overcome the loading at 1x without impact on waveform integrity and for higher BW use it is normal to use a 10x probe/setting that imposes low loads (pF's) which affects signal integrity much less.
There is much truth in the statement every measurement affects the measurement.

Many only use probes on 10x for this very reason.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: April 01, 2024, 01:22:52 pm »
Between the new Rigol and Siglent oscilloscope series, which is proving to be the better series of the two?

Is the new Siglent series as upgradeable via hacks as for the Rigol?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: April 01, 2024, 01:25:39 pm »
Between the new Rigol and Siglent oscilloscope series, which is proving to be the better series of the two?

There happens to be a recent, dedicated thread on this where all participants have tried to behave well and not fight too much:  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-between-entry-level-12-bit-dsos/

Both, the DHO800 and SDS800X HD scopes, can be "hacked" easily via pure software key generation.

The following users thanked this post: Silver_Is_Money

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1120 on: April 01, 2024, 02:45:15 pm »
I got so much info from this thread that I purchased the Siglent 804x.  I have a question about probes though.  So I want to make noise measurements, so I want a probe that has better than 20 Mhz bandwidth at 1x.  It would be nice to have 200 Mhz bandwidth at 10x so I only have one probe.

You're asking to compromise on quality if you want a single probe to do both. Personally, I prefer probemaster.com probes. They have a 1X probe at 30MHz rated for 600V. You can put a nice kit together and include some dedicated 10X 250MHz probes (I use the auto sensing probes with my scope).
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: whodiini

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1121 on: April 02, 2024, 09:46:10 pm »
Inspired by another thread, here is the bodeplot of a bandpass filter from the Batronix demo board.
Once SDS800X HD, then from the "predecessor" SDS1104X-E, settings as far as possible the same.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, egonotto, tautech, Mortymore, core

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: April 03, 2024, 06:05:50 pm »
I must be missing something about the SPI trigger -- can't get it to trigger at all:

Please see the attached screenshot. I have the SPI channels and thresholds set up. (Cheating with the MISO signal -- it's actually A0, the command/data selector, since my slave device does not talk anyway.) The decoder works nicely.

I have copied the channel settings to the trigger and double-checked them. Then selected Serial > SPI trigger, and tried all kinds of settings for the trigger event: MISO or MOSI-based; specific data values to look for; all bits don't-cares... I just never get a trigger event at all; in Normal triggering mode nothing ever gets shown.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for any helpful hints!

EDIT: I revisited this with a fresh mind now, and it was indeed a user error. For whatever reason the CLK signal's threshold in the trigger settings was way off. I tried the "copy settings from decoder to trigger" again and can confirm that the thresholds are all copied over correctly. I had checked them yesterday while setting things up -- but must have inadvertently bumped the CLK threshold at some later point.

With that setting corrected, the SPI trigger will correctly trigger on a given word on either the MISO or MOSI line, including wildcard bits.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:13:07 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech, newbrain, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline awakephd

• Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: April 03, 2024, 06:18:49 pm »

There happens to be a recent, dedicated thread on this where all participants have tried to behave well and not fight too much:  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-between-entry-level-12-bit-dsos/

Both, the DHO800 and SDS800X HD scopes, can be "hacked" easily via pure software key generation.

Indeed, everyone has been on their best behavior in that thread, thus far! As the OP of that thread, I have come to the firm conclusion that ... it depends. :)

Offline whodiini

• Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: April 05, 2024, 03:53:23 am »
Thank you.  I will look into probemaster probes.  Do you know if Cal Test probes are decent?  There are no reviews I can find.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf