Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 622593 times)

Gabri74 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1400 on: May 21, 2024, 01:02:43 am »
Hameg just does click-click and auto sets in less than a second.

And the boot time will also be faster, I suspect. ;)

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1401 on: May 21, 2024, 01:29:50 am »
And the boot time will also be faster, I suspect. ;)

Hameg? It is a combiscope so it takes some time to boot. But I still enjoy watching the boot process as it goes through all lights and diagnostic messages on the screen. 800X boot time is not too bad, no complaints there. It would be great to see some diagnostic messages / progress bar when it boots though. I would not mind seeing linux boot process.

Offline lunix

• Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: May 21, 2024, 07:51:10 am »
I have a Rigol DHO924S.  It has a lot of promise.  Lots of bugs (never seen anything like it in my career, other than beta software releases).  It took 10 days to get a response from Rigol support for a simple question (one that I found was covered in the manual, but not easy to find there).  I have some Siglent gear and have seen the numerous firmware updates from Siglent.  I have seen numerous bug reports on my Rigol here, but no firmware updates since January, v00.01.02.00.0 (and that explains why they don't include the release dates on their site).

I want to be able to trust my scope.  I wish....  And if you need a logic analyzer, I suggest spend the same $400 that Rigol's PLA2216 costs (or less) on a Dream Source Logic one.  They have lots of decoders (I'd say at least 50) and lots (LOTS) of features in their software.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: May 21, 2024, 08:01:49 am »
I have a Rigol DHO924S.

You are not the only one. ;) In fact, there are even dedicated forum threads on this family of scopes. Here's an older overview; you will find further, more recent threads discussing bugs, USB powerbank options etc.: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho800900-topic-collection

Edit: If you are interested in how the Rigol DHO800/900 compares to the Siglent SDS800 series, there is a long (and rambling) recent thread which centers around that question: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/choosing-between-entry-level-12-bit-dsos/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:03:50 am by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, lunix

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1404 on: May 21, 2024, 09:38:18 am »
I have a Rigol DHO924S.  It has a lot of promise.  Lots of bugs (never seen anything like it in my career, other than beta software releases).
I read about that, so i got me a 800, but it probably is not much better with bugs. Then i went with a siglent SDS814X HD, first it looked much better in regards of GUI and bugs. But this changed again after i found many issues and bugs also. But they do updates!

I am so glad, that i could send back the Rigol without any loss.

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline iceman01

« Reply #1405 on: May 21, 2024, 09:40:43 am »
Because they cost money. Lower budget probes often don't come with springs.
That's a simple explanation and probably 99% true...

OTOH, I've got a set of 250 MHz Testec probes, not an expert, but they look quite good (LF and HF compensation, sharp gold plated tip, good strain relief etc.).

They come with the usual grabber and ground alligator lead, but they also include adjustment screwdriver, a spare metal tip, and a nice BNC to probe adapter.
Still no ground spring!  :-//

The Testec probes with product ID starting with "MF" are not supplied with ground spring. Also, no option to get them with attenuation factor readout pin.
The ones starting with "HX" do come with ground springs. TT-HX 312 for the switchable, 300MHz bandwidth probe, and TT-HX 212 for the fixed one. There's also the TT-HF 612, with 500MHz, but they cost three times as much and are not close to high impedance at 250MHz. I don't know in which cases are they usable at 500MHz anyway.
You can get the HX with readout pin, but at around 25% upcharge.

Edit: I was mixing the HF and HX prefixes, the naming scheme is a bit confusing. It seems like only the HX ones come with ground springs.

Testec HF212 are good match, and they came with full set of accessories, replacement tip, spring, coax adapter, screwdriver, etc..
May I ask you where you bought them? The webpage https://www.testec.de/en/products/product-categories/hf-probes/ lists them without ground spring, and so does Farnell. The HX212 are the ones that include the spring (and HF612 too).

I got my set last week from Reichelt (2x MF312-2) but without springs. I‘m impressed by the built-quality. Fortunately I have some spare springs from AliX and they fit. You get springs in different diameters there for less money.

Based on your comment I checked Testec’s website and the MX-312 come with the ground spring.
Just called Testec and asked about the name difference, they explained to me that the MX is the new version of the MF which will be available in a couple of weeks in the shops and it will come with the ground spring.
It is worth noting that the ground springs one can buy as additional accessory for the MF won’t fit the MX and vice versa.

The ‘X’ models are the new ones, whereas the ‘F’ models are the previous generation. According to Testec, there shouldn’t be any noticeable difference in accuracy. The new version has for example been released for the H series.

https://testec.de/en/ already lists the new versions.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 02:14:29 pm by iceman01 »

The following users thanked this post: RAPo, EvgenyG

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: May 22, 2024, 06:44:13 pm »
Has anyone with an SDS800X HD or SDS1000X HD been able to not only upgrade their bandwidth, but also enable the other options?
I just received my SDS1000X HD, and I've used this script/guide. I've successfully upgraded the bandwidth from 100 to 200 MHz, but I've not been able to unlock the SDS1000XHD-FG,  SDS1000XHD-16LA or SDS1000XHD-PA options even though the keys I'm typing in are generated along with the working 200M option.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1407 on: May 22, 2024, 06:55:13 pm »
Has anyone with an SDS800X HD or SDS1000X HD been able to not only upgrade their bandwidth, but also enable the other options?
I just received my SDS1000X HD, and I've used this script/guide. I've successfully upgraded the bandwidth from 100 to 200 MHz, but I've not been able to unlock the SDS1000XHD-FG,  SDS1000XHD-16LA or SDS1000XHD-PA options even though the keys I'm typing in are generated along with the working 200M option.

You need to make sure that whatever you're trying to "improve" is named correctly for your device.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: May 22, 2024, 07:25:01 pm »
You need to make sure that whatever you're trying to "improve" is named correctly for your device.

That's probably it. I thought they were called 16LA, PA and FG, but apparently, that's not the case... Does anyone know what these are called on the 800 series?

EDIT: MSO, AWG, PWA  :-+
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 08:02:01 pm by hansibull »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1409 on: May 22, 2024, 10:31:12 pm »
Can SDS804X HD be connected to SDG2042X via USB? Or only via LAN?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 10:33:42 pm by electr_peter »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1410 on: May 22, 2024, 10:34:27 pm »
Hi,
In both ways.

The following users thanked this post: electr_peter

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1411 on: May 22, 2024, 10:44:30 pm »
Can SDS804X HD be connected to SDG2042X via USB? Or only via LAN?
For Bode plot (FRA), all Siglent AWG's are supported to provide the stimulus.
Only the SDG800 range does not provide a LAN connection, only USB.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1412 on: May 23, 2024, 09:40:09 am »
I've decided to solve the tempered glass screen protector question once and for all. I did some research which 7" tablets have similar screen size and came up with the list:

- Amazon Fire 7 (ruled out because of the camera cut out)
- Nintendo Switch OLED 7", 2021
- SteamDeck 7", 2021/22 & OLED 2023
- Asus ROG Ally 7", 2023

Ordered all on Amazon, they were cheap, like 10 bucks for a 3 pack. Here's the results (sorry for dark photos):

Nintendo Switch: Can be aligned to have same margins around the visible screen (LCD).
Steam Deck: Leaves 2 bands on the top and bottom. It is spot on on the sides, completely covers on the left & right.
Asus ROG Ally: Can be aligned to have same margins to the edge of the screen border.

Which one do you prefer?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:10:13 am by EvgenyG »

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1413 on: May 23, 2024, 09:43:17 am »
New firmware for SDS800X HD models.

Version: V1.1.3.6
~70 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS800X_HD_V1.1.3.6_EN.zip

Release notes
Solve the problem of trigger holdoff fails.
Solve the problem of CAN decoding causing crashes with a small probability.
Modify the kernel solve the problem that scpi cannot be used on a computer with keysight driver installed.
Solve the problem of advanced trigger (Qualified, Nth Edge, Delay, Setup/Hold) parameters are not recalled.
Solve the problem of delay trigger level setting error.
Solve the problem of when the edge is set to Alternating, trigger jitter will occur when entering the other trigger type.
Solve some known problems.
Optimize waveform capture rate.
Optimize Self calibration speed.
Optimize UI.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: May 23, 2024, 10:15:00 am »

Poetry...

Maybe all others were "unknown problems" and got solved by luck!!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, ebastler, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, Antonio90

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: May 23, 2024, 10:25:28 am »

~70 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS800X_HD_V1.1.3.6_EN.zip

Release notes
Modify the kernel solve the problem that scpi cannot be used on a computer with keysight driver installed.
Solve the problem of advanced trigger (Qualified, Nth Edge, Delay, Setup/Hold) parameters are not recalled.
Solve the problem of when the edge is set to Alternating, trigger jitter will occur when entering the other trigger type.
Optimize UI.

Awesome!

No "bugs" have been fixed, just "problems"  :-DD
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1416 on: May 23, 2024, 10:48:36 am »
Decided to go with the "Steam Deck" option as it will also cover the area near Ch1-4 buttons.
Fits quite nicely, no bubbles. The screen looks much sharper now, and seems like there's more contrast too.
Touch functions work perfectly. The screen now has a really nice glass tablet feel.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:53:25 am by EvgenyG »

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: May 23, 2024, 10:49:43 am »

~70 MB

Release notes
Optimize UI.

Awesome!

No "bugs" have been fixed, just "problems"  :-DD

No need for sarcasm..
Software bug is a problem in a software.

R&S bug fixes calls "Improvements". Make fun of them. Siglent admits there is a problem.
R&S not even that. There are no problems whatsoever. Noo, we just "improved" some things...

Here is the list for RTB2000.  For next time you feel like being an ass and feel like scope you have is "full of bugs".
Make note this is scope that is 10 times more expensive. Maybe you wonder where is their testing process.. They sure included it in a price...

RTB2000 Release notes (Bug fixes part) :

1.3 Improvements
The following tables list the improvements and indicate since which version the issue
could be observed:
Improvements of Firmware V02.300:
Version Improvement
V02.400 Solved: RTB-B1: Predefined level not working for D15..D8.
V02.400 Solved: Firmware blocker after interrupted waveform download via web browser.
V02.400 Solved: Wrong measurement values after vertical scaling in stop mode with following zoom
activation.
V02.400 Solved: Wrong amplitude in math waveform with math function Derivate and acquire mode
'Sample' or 'Peak Detect'.
V02.400 Solved: Wrong channel waveform position with probe attenuation lower than one.
V02.400 Solved: Cursor positioning with rotary knob 'Analysis' not possible with trace arithmetic
average and active cursor 'Track Scaling'.
V02.400 Solved: Jumping resolution of statistic minimum and maximum values for measure type
frequency.
Improvements of Firmware V02.300:
Version Improvement
V02.300 Solved: Channel offset did not consider probe attenuation.
V02.300 Solved: Probe Adjust Wizard did not work for channel one in rare cases.
V02.300 Solved: Clear screen did not reset display annotation mode. Touch screen was disabled.
V02.300 Solved: User level could not be tuned to below 0V with rotary knob.
V02.300 Solved: With Option RTB-K2: Trigger source changed to RX if UART configuration menu
closed.
V02.300 Solved: Cursor values L1 and L2 are not updated with changing cursor position in FFT
mode.
V02.300 Solved: Wrong value in numeric input keypad after clear and new input that starts with '-'.
V02.300 Solved: Wrong waveform offset in XY diagram with measurement and statistic table.
V02.300 Solved: With option RTB-B6: Firmware blocker if a 'scp' setting is loaded into arbitrary
pattern generator.
V02.300 Solved: With option RTB-B6: Quick access did not work with arbitrary pattern value.
V02.300 Solved: Download of channel two display data via MTP gets channel one data.
Improvements of Firmware V02.202:
Version Improvement
V02.202 Solved: Wrong DC level value (0 Hz) in FFT with vertical scale Veff and high DC signal
offset.
V02.202 Solved: Firmware blocker when waveform saving with 'Vis. Channels' or when saving bus
table.
V02.202 Solved: Bus type bus one in trigger dialog window visible if bus two trigger source.
V02.202 Solved: Channel label did not move in zoom window with changing offset.
V02.202 Solved: Blinking waveforms with vertical scaling or positioning in run mode (RTM2002 only).
V02.202 Solved: More than one printed label in clocked parallel bus with extended honeycombs.
V02.202 Solved: Decoded bus disappears after switch to zoom in stop mode.
V02.202 Solved: Waveforms disappears in norm trigger when switched to zoom with no trigger.
R&S®RTB2000 Information on the Current Version and History
Release Notes 1333.2518.00 - 12 10
Improvements of Firmware V02.121:
Version Improvement
V02.121 Solved: Locked pattern generator menu when 'Audio - IS' or 'Audio - TDM' selected.
The Audio items were removed in the pattern generator menu.
V02.121 Solved: Front panel firmware update to version did not work on rare devices.
V02.121 Solved: Wrong spectrum section copied to reference waveform when trigger reference point
was not set to center.
V02.121 Solved: Connection via USB-TMC: Read function 'viReadSTB' does not answer.
Improvements of Firmware V02.101:
Version Improvement
V02.101 Solved: Wrong calculation of counter threshold with clipped ADC data.
V02.101 Solved: Wrong displayed bus data with parallel or parallel-clocked bus if the horizontal
position during stop mode changed.
V02.101 Solved: Firmware blocker if I2C bus decoded and 'Display Settings' set to 'ASCII'.
V02.101 Solved: In acquisition average or high resolution mode only coarse cursor positioning with
horizontal cursors.
V02.101 Solved: Wrong date saved in CSV file if the acquisition not complete.
V02.101 Solved: Possible spike in waveform data with infinity persistence and manually device
operation.
V02.101 Solved: Trigger offset of 10ns with peak detect and 625MSa sample rate.
V02.101 Solved: Option RTB-K15:
After mask violation history player stops one segment to late.
V02.101 Solved: Option RTB-K15:
History player overlays segment table with maximized waveform window.
V02.101 Solved: MTP function with Windows 10:
Windows prevents copying files to the instrument with file extensions unknown to Windows.
Improvements of Firmware V02.000:
Version Improvement
V02.000 Solved: XY mode with average on; wrong display of waveform in xy-diagram.
V02.000 Solved: Persistence with waveform color temperature:
The dark blue color always shows infinite persistence, independent of the configuration.
V02.000 Solved: The SCPI commands for pulse function of waveform generator are implemented in a
wrong path and are therefore not consistent with the documentation where the correct path
in indicated.
V02.000 Solved: wrong amplitude and offset in high resolution mode with small segment size:
● 10kSa from 50s to 500s
● 20kSa from 100s to 500s
● 50kSa with 500s
● 100kSa with 500s
V02.000 Solved: Wrong behavior with channel probe unit 'A' and user defined attenuation ratio.
V02.000 Solved: Trigger jitter up to 6.4ns with acquisition memory size 1MSa.
V02.000 Solved: Wrong channel data after disable and enable of a channel in stop mode.
V02.000 Solved: After changing acquire mode in QuickMeas the acquire mode was not applied to all
channels when QuickMeas is left.
Release Notes 1333.2518.00 - 12 11
Version Improvement
V02.000 Solved: Universal rotary knob did change a wrong value after changing cursor type between
'Horizontal' and 'Vertical' and vice versa.
V02.000 Solved: With Russian language the numeric input keypad did not print 'Min' and 'Max'
values.
V02.000 Solved: With infinite persistence, a menu open or close did clear the persistence in stop
mode.
V02.000 Solved: Wrong frequencies in spectrum on channel 2 and 4 with timebase greater than
200µs.
V02.000 Solved: After using probe adjust wizard the pattern generator menu was not available.
V02.000 Solved: Pattern pin state stuck at last state when pattern generator turned off. Now the pin
state stays low.
V02.000 Solved: Wrong UART framing in option RTB-K2.
V02.000 Solved: Cursor positions not restored with preset or loaded setup.
V02.000 Solved: Wrong offset in Math trace with operator multiplication and source attenuation
greater than 1V.
V02.000 Webserver: Livescreen and Remote Front Panel creates a message if more than one user
online.
Improvements of Firmware V01.210:
Version Improvement
V01.210 Solved: Delete tool does not work on the Math waveform.
V01.210 Solved: Pinch to zoom uses incorrect origin if the reference point is not in center. The same
behavior occurs when the time scale is changed instead of pinch to zoom.
V01.210 Solved: Options RTB-K1/2/3: When a parallel bus is active only a parallel bus can be
activated as second bus, but not a serial bus.
V01.210 Solved: Sporadic data artifacts if a channel switched on with timebase greater 20ms.
V01.210 Solved: Data artifacts in waveform with timebase greater 20ms and auto trigger mode with
free run.
V01.210 Solved: Firmware blocker if trigger time greater than 6 x timebase and timebase greater
20ms.
V01.210 Solved: Grid annotation in FFT mode disappears if only the average FFT trace visible.
Release Notes 1333.2518.00 - 12 12
Improvements of Firmware V01.203:
Version Improvement
V01.203 Solved: Waveform disabled with persistence on in XY window.
Improvements of Firmware V01.100:
Version Improvement
V01.100 Solved: Spike (wrong data value) in waveform date on start of trace in high resolution mode.
V01.100 Solved: X offset of trigger position on trace up to 10ns.
V01.100 Solved: Width trigger on channel 2 and 4 in interlace mode (2.5GSa) do not work.
V01.100 Solved: Reset of statistic function with SCPI is not synchronal with acquisition. After a faulty
reset measure values and waveform counters are not correct cleared.
Improvements of Firmware V01.000:
Version Improvement
V01.000 None, as this is a first release

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: May 23, 2024, 11:00:21 am »
You gotta admire the dedication of the not biased Siglent crewTM on EEVBLOG.

They even defend the brand from basic sense of humor, just in case.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: May 23, 2024, 11:13:02 am »

Are you sure it is humor by that person?
Didn't you learn anything from bazilions of posts so far...

That very RTB2000 waited for first bug fix half a year and was still full of bugs a year after...

Siglent releases bug release in record time after release as a service to customers.
On a scope that cost 10 times less.

And your comment on it is making fun of choice of words...
Lame.

P.S.  Actually, as being non biased, I apologize to Rigol for being too critical. Compared to R&S they are actually OK...
Or at least not worse than..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:14:48 am by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: May 23, 2024, 11:16:28 am »

I think you've missed the point with respect to 2N3055's comment regarding bugs in the R&S scopes.

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: May 23, 2024, 11:20:32 am »

That very RTB2000 waited for first bug fix half a year and was still full of bugs a year after...

Siglent releases bug release in record time after release as a service to customers.

Lame.

It's not really a criticism at all @2N3055. A choice of words can also be funny, as tv84 also noted.

I don't think the posts in question belittle Siglent's response to software bugs, which is outstanding, but I really do find quite a bit of over sensitivity to anything that could be interpreted as criticism, even tangentially, to Siglent. I might be wrong, but I've been getting that impression for 3 years straight.

But yeah, I can understand getting fed up or trigered with certain users post history.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1422 on: May 23, 2024, 11:23:57 am »
Decided to go with the "Steam Deck" option as it will also cover the area near Ch1-4 buttons.
Fits quite nicely, no bubbles. The screen looks much sharper now, and seems like there's more contrast too.
Touch functions work perfectly. The screen now has a really nice glass tablet feel.

"Sharper", "more contrast" and "glass tablet feel" suggest that the screen protector has a smooth, glossy surface, while the original screen surface is slightly matted. How does the protector impact reflections? Is there a multi-layer coating which suppresses these, or do you get stronger reflections than before?

(I have a window behind me when I sit at the bench, and can't always tilt screens away from it to avoid reflections.) Thanks for your comments!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: May 23, 2024, 11:25:55 am »

Lame.

It's not really a criticism at all @2N3055. A choice of words can also be funny, as tv84 also noted.

I don't think the posts in question belittle Siglent's response to software bugs, which is outstanding, but I really do find quite a bit of over sensitivity to anything that could be interpreted as criticism, even tangentially, to Siglent. I might be wrong, but I've been getting that impression for 3 years straight.

But yeah, I can understand getting fed up or trigered with certain users post history.

I find his general behavior consistently disrespectful, to generally anybody, really.
Absolutely everything is negative comment, sarcasm, or similar.
To add a data point, he was same towards  Rigol, where I (that am critical of Rigol) also didn't like his comments...

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1424 on: May 23, 2024, 11:26:38 am »

I think you've missed the point with respect to 2N3055's comment regarding bugs in the R&S scopes.
I don't think so.

There were three points, AFAIK.

- Choice of words is even "funnier" or worse, or whatever on estabilished A-tier brands, and with an instrument an order of magnitude more expensive.
- Instruments from brands mentioned in the previous post often come with more bugs than this bottom of the barrel scope.
- Top brands take even more time to fix the bugs.

It was just a bit of an overreaction to a couple silly little jokes, IMHO. It's the snap reflex I was pointing out anyway.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:28:17 am by Antonio90 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf