Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 630260 times)

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1425 on: May 23, 2024, 11:33:57 am »

I find his general behavior consistently disrespectful, to generally anybody, really.
Absolutely everything is negative comment, sarcasm, or similar.
To add a data point, he was same towards  Rigol, where I (that am critical of Rigol) also didn't like his comments...
Yes. They seem as written by someone in a permanent state of anger and unrestleness, trying to put the blame for that state on whatever, be it oscilloscope, forum member, AWG... as long as it outside himself.
His signature strongly points to that too.

I think I understand your reaction.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1426 on: May 23, 2024, 11:39:34 am »
"Sharper", "more contrast" and "glass tablet feel" suggest that the screen protector has a smooth, glossy surface, while the original screen surface is slightly matted. How does the protector impact reflections? Is there a multi-layer coating which suppresses these, or do you get stronger reflections than before?
(I have a window behind me when I sit at the bench, and can't always tilt screens away from it to avoid reflections.) Thanks for your comments!

Yes, it is glossy and there are more reflections than without it. The package says nothing about special coating. I work with the scope after hours, so reflections don't bother me. There are anti-glare/matte steam deck protectors available too - just search. Perhaps you get one and share results :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:41:24 am by EvgenyG »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: May 23, 2024, 11:48:04 am »
It's not really a criticism at all @2N3055. A choice of words can also be funny, as tv84 also noted.

I don't think the posts in question belittle Siglent's response to software bugs, which is outstanding, but I really do find quite a bit of over sensitivity to anything that could be interpreted as criticism, even tangentially, to Siglent. I might be wrong, but I've been getting that impression for 3 years straight.

But yeah, I can understand getting fed up or trigered with certain users post history.

:-+  :-+ My small irony got caught up in some previous long lasting avalanche...

BTW, I think R&S call them "improvements" in order to better justify their semi-annual FW update rate!  ;) Nobody would admit that from the moment of sale that you will eternally need to correct "bugs"...

Disclaimer: I like both brands.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: May 23, 2024, 12:00:58 pm »
It's not really a criticism at all @2N3055. A choice of words can also be funny, as tv84 also noted.

I don't think the posts in question belittle Siglent's response to software bugs, which is outstanding, but I really do find quite a bit of over sensitivity to anything that could be interpreted as criticism, even tangentially, to Siglent. I might be wrong, but I've been getting that impression for 3 years straight.

But yeah, I can understand getting fed up or trigered with certain users post history.

:-+  :-+ My small irony got caught up in some previous long lasting avalanche...

BTW, I think R&S call them "improvements" in order to better justify their semi-annual FW update rate!  ;) Nobody would admit that from the moment of sale that you will eternally need to correct "bugs"...

Disclaimer: I like both brands.

No comment towards you my friend....
Your comment was humor...  I know you..

Let me offer a comment for benefit of R&S: I personally think that is lawyers talking.
On numerous occasions I found this type of talk, where it was on lawyers advice.
Rationale being, that if customer tries to sue you, calling something Bug or Defect can be construed as "admission of guilt".
So you say improved this and that without written "admission" of a fault...
So engineers are "censored" of straight talk.. They have no choice..

It is weird, but so is the world we live in...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: May 23, 2024, 06:02:46 pm »
I don't get why you would bother arguing. Siglent doesn't need anyone to defend them, neither does R&S, Rigol or any other brand for that matter. I do understand that lots of you guys are heavily invested in a particular brand (myself included), but just because someone else love to roast a particular brand doesn't mean that the brand of your choice suck. Why not just ignore posts that tries to stir up an argument?

I drive a french car. People (at least Norwegians) love to rant about how terrible and unreliable french cars are. And if that's their opinion, so be it. Even though I'm really happy with my car, and like french cars in general, I don't have to be a "french car warrior" where I not only defend my choice, but also the brand.

The following users thanked this post: skench, Mortymore, pdenisowski, Antonio90, Bad_Driver

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: May 23, 2024, 06:19:19 pm »
I admire the voices of reason here that counter the noise and nonsense.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: May 23, 2024, 06:28:52 pm »
I look forward to reading others' experiences with the new firmware.  I will wait to see if I need it. Probably not since I am not a heavy user of the scope as others on here.   

New firmware for SDS800X HD models.

Version: V1.1.3.6
~70 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS800X_HD_V1.1.3.6_EN.zip

Release notes...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: May 23, 2024, 06:33:41 pm »
I look forward to reading others' experiences with the new firmware.  I will wait to see if I need it. Probably not since I am not a heavy user of the scope as others on here.   

New firmware for SDS800X HD models.

Version: V1.1.3.6
~70 MB
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Oscilloscope/SDS800X_HD_V1.1.3.6_EN.zip

Release notes...

Please, just apply new FW.
You need it, and people worked around the clock to release it.  ^-^

It is 5 minutes work.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1433 on: May 23, 2024, 08:34:28 pm »
:-//
You will/do !
Be assured Version: V1.1.3.6 has been internally tested to remedy a good # of bugs that needed fixing.
We have seen several previous versions before V1.1.3.6 was finalised for public release.
My firm recommendation is to install it.

I've been using it for several weeks and every SDS800X HD we have supplied, I took the time to install it.
The install process is simple and quick and only requires a Self Cal after installation and some 20-30 minutes of run time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1434 on: May 23, 2024, 08:46:58 pm »
I will wait to see if I need it.

Why this "fear"?
Firmware updates are generally not nice to have, but have a "serious" background.
Errors are corrected, even those that are not immediately recognizable.
And you don't have to worry about hacks being affected. ;)

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: May 23, 2024, 08:53:36 pm »
Why this "fear"?

The only reason I could think of is upgrading to a newer firmware that prevents you from downgrading again, and UI suddenly doesn't feel as responsive as it used to. Happened to me on both my phone and my computer. But test equipment are different beasts of course.

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1436 on: May 23, 2024, 09:00:17 pm »
Why this "fear"?

The only reason I could think of is upgrading to a newer firmware that prevents you from downgrading again, and UI suddenly doesn't feel as responsive as it used to. Happened to me on both my phone and my computer. But test equipment are different beasts of course.
Yet, from the release notes:
Optimize waveform capture rate.
Optimize Self calibration speed.
Optimize UI.

Hardly signifies backward progress.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #1437 on: May 24, 2024, 12:50:34 am »
You will/do !
Be assured Version: V1.1.3.6 has been internally tested to remedy a good # of bugs that needed fixing.
We have seen several previous versions before V1.1.3.6 was finalised for public release.
My firm recommendation is to install it.

I've been using it for several weeks and every SDS800X HD we have supplied, I took the time to install it.
The install process is simple and quick and only requires a Self Cal after installation and some 20-30 minutes of run time.

After upgrading to V1.1.3.6, the self calibration time has been reduced from over 20 minutes to 5 minutes; This version has made many improvements and is a version worth upgrading. After using it for a period of time, I will update the Bugs and Wanted Features threads.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 01:04:39 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Wrenches of Death, EvgenyG

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #1438 on: May 24, 2024, 01:37:21 am »

I used to be very resistant to mobile phone system upgrades. The main reason like you is that I use very few functions and upgrading has no impact on me.
After upgrading my phone a few times and finding it better, I don't resent it now. You can wait for a while to see which problems are solved and whether it improves your usage scenario.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: May 24, 2024, 04:47:22 am »

There is no reason to wait here, since it fixes a bug, that is a basic function for an oscilloscope: It fixes the holdoff bug.
Also the bug, where the trigger has jittered. Any many more.

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: May 25, 2024, 03:30:10 pm »
.. more bugs than this bottom of the barrel scope.

Couldn't help but stick in a trigger phrase, eh?

Sure adds to the air of congeniality around here. :palm:
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: May 25, 2024, 06:11:09 pm »

I didn't intend to put in a trigger phrase. I took the phrase for its apparent meaning, if it is pejorative it wasn't what I meant. Decent 'scopes start at €400-500 and go up from there, so it is right at the bottom down there with the DHO800. I have a SDS804X-HD, after all.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: May 25, 2024, 06:30:59 pm »

Here I will chip in and ask for understanding for us that don't speak English as first language..
Sometimes nuances or side meanings of phrases escape us. We try but...

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90, Bad_Driver

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: May 25, 2024, 06:35:57 pm »
Fair enough.

I see the bottom of the barrel much further down, like where Fnirsi live.   :-DD
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: May 25, 2024, 06:42:41 pm »
Maybe towards the bottom of the barrel price-wise but towards the top of the barrel performance/feature-wise :-+

Isn't this the definition of "value"  :clap:

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, newbrain, 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: May 25, 2024, 07:26:05 pm »
Maybe towards the bottom of the barrel price-wise but towards the top of the barrel performance/feature-wise :-+

Isn't this the definition of "value"  :clap:

Best,

That is why I refer to this series as "inexpensive" not "cheap". Word "cheap" just feels wrong.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: May 25, 2024, 07:46:55 pm »

That is why I refer to this series as "inexpensive" not "cheap". Word "cheap" just feels wrong.

Agree, Inexpensive or Affordable are better, as Cheap implies inferior.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: May 25, 2024, 07:48:34 pm »
Also, "entry level" rather than bottom of the barrel  :P

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1448 on: May 26, 2024, 03:56:14 pm »
I just did some measurements after improvement. I can see -3db at 320Mhz. I can still trigger at 500Mhz quite easily, with the signal not being strong though.
The HW frequency counter stops working at around 630Mhz. The max frequency I could get it to trigger was 780Mhz.
The square waves remain square-sh on 50Mhz (my 50 Ohm termination is not great hence overshoot).
Source of signal: Leo Bodnar's GPS clock terminated into 50 Ohms via a coax cable.

I am very impressed.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, egonotto, 2N3055, Mortymore

Offline mcconkeyb

• Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: May 27, 2024, 12:23:01 pm »
Hey all you new Siglent users, I've just scanned through hours of posts and have somehow not seen the answer to the following Q.
Can the activation codes for the logic analyzer (SLA1016) on the 1104 and 1204 be used on the 800 series, or do you need to buy a new activation code when you buy the new 800 series scope (or the new 1104 or 1204 HD scopes)?
I look forward to your answers, opinions and links to where this question might already have been answered, but that I've missed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:25:25 pm by mcconkeyb »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf