Author Topic: Siglent SHS800X/SHS1000X/SDS logger sample files  (Read 1191 times)

Offline thetoothTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SHS800X/SHS1000X/SDS logger sample files
« on: January 28, 2023, 05:01:24 am »
Looking to write some open source software for parsing siglent .slg and .mlg logger files. I have the binary format documentation but no way to test since the SHS1102X I've ordered is at least 3-4 weeks out. If anyone here owns one of these scopes or a similar era siglent that outputs these formats, can you post a sample log file for me to play with?  Duration or sample rate doesn't matter. Cheers

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SHS800X/SHS1000X/SDS logger sample files
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 07:57:15 am »
If anyone here owns one of these scopes or a similar era siglent that outputs these formats, can you post a sample log file for me to play with?  Duration or sample rate doesn't matter. Cheers
Sure. SHS820X here.
Maybe something from an AWG is easy for me. Tell me what you'd like to see.
.sig and .mig files we'll have to bluff the forum to accept by adding .txt as an extension that you'll need to remove.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:55:01 am »
If anyone here owns one of these scopes or a similar era siglent that outputs these formats, can you post a sample log file for me to play with?  Duration or sample rate doesn't matter. Cheers
Sure. SHS820X here.
Maybe something from an AWG is easy for me. Tell me what you'd like to see.
.sig and .mig files we'll have to bluff the forum to accept by adding .txt as an extension that you'll need to remove.

Whatever you like really, I'd like to play around with calculating measurements like RMS and crest factor from the waveform data too so maybe a mains voltage recording and just some simple stuff like a square wave and sine from the AWG.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 01:46:32 am »
Just getting onto this now.
We have 3 types of log files in these:
Scope Sample or Measure logging plus Meter (DMM) logging mode.
In Meter logging the fastest rate is 100ms.

Further only Binary, CSV and Matlab file types are available, which for Binary the BIN2CSV conversion utility is available from the Save/Recall menu.

Exactly what logging types would you like to see thetooth ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:48:27 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 05:01:26 am »
I'm after the bin types (.slg and .mlg files), from the scope inputs. Bonus if you can get one with two channels of data. You will probably have to upload elsewhere though since it appears that these files have 16MB of padding before any of the data actually gets recorded lol.

Attached is my first experiments in converting samples into measured values offline, ignore the scale of the waveform as that's just simulated raw ADC values.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 06:33:10 am »
I'm after the bin types (.slg and .mlg files), from the scope inputs. Bonus if you can get one with two channels of data. You will probably have to upload elsewhere though since it appears that these files have 16MB of padding before any of the data actually gets recorded lol.

Attached is my first experiments in converting samples into measured values offline, ignore the scale of the waveform as that's just simulated raw ADC values.
They do pad to 16+MB SIG files however using the onboard tool downloaded to a PC short captures get reduced well down.  :phew:
The splg0001.slg 16GB SIG file became less than 100kb when converted to CSV.....attached. Remove txt extension.  ;)
This was a 3V triangle waveform at 100 Hz and IIRC sampled at 1kSa/s in an effort to keep its size down.
BIN2CSV tool attached too along with a screenshot of Scope Recorder menu.

MIG files are from the Scope Measure logger feature and I need spend more time with it to make sense of it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 04:41:08 am »
Thanks mate. I am really after that slg and mlg file though, the purpose is direct conversion and as a side affect there would be a open source .*lg to csv converter, in my case I use linux almost exclusively so the included exe isn't that handy.
Also I probably should have ordered through you and just delt with the extra shipping costs from NZ to AUS, the local distributor has told me siglent can't get their hands on any probes until March so they wanted to push back delivery until then. Luckily I seem to have come to a compromise, siglent agreed to ship the scope without probes and issue a refund equal to the retail value of replacement probes which appear to be Staubli Isoprobes (68.9554), these are available in limited quantities through wholesalers like TME and RS so that might help you get some more units delivered in the mean time. As far as sending those logger files, you should be able to use google drive.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 08:10:56 am »
Thanks mate. I am really after that slg and mlg file though, the purpose is direct conversion and as a side affect there would be a open source .*lg to csv converter, in my case I use linux almost exclusively so the included exe isn't that handy.
Also I probably should have ordered through you and just delt with the extra shipping costs from NZ to AUS, the local distributor has told me siglent can't get their hands on any probes until March so they wanted to push back delivery until then.
Ah, so you're getting  SHS1000X model.....yummy.  :)
I can't supply outside NZ as to do so would be unfair to your local agents, IPG and AppVision and we have verbal agreement not to step on one another's turf.
Luckily I seem to have come to a compromise, siglent agreed to ship the scope without probes and issue a refund equal to the retail value of replacement probes which appear to be Staubli Isoprobes (68.9554), these are available in limited quantities through wholesalers like TME and RS so that might help you get some more units delivered in the mean time.
Yep AFAIK they are Staubli probes and nice bits of kit too but only used on the isolated channel 1000X models.
USA have them:
https://siglentna.com/product/pb925-250-mhz-oscilloscope-probe/

As far as sending those logger files, you should be able to use google drive.
Wonder if they would zip from 16 to under 10MB then I could email them.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 10:34:53 am »
Absolutely, the actual header is only a few kB, data length would be similar to the csv if not even more compact, in fact if the signal being captured is highly repetitive e.g. a sine wave with no changes in amplitude, the zip compression should in theory reduce multiple days down into a single waveform lol

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 10:37:58 am »
Absolutely, the actual header is only a few kB, data length would be similar to the csv if not even more compact, in fact if the signal being captured is highly repetitive e.g. a sine wave with no changes in amplitude, the zip compression should in theory reduce multiple days down into a single waveform lol
Okay PM your email and I'll get onto that tomorrow as it's late here now.  :=\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 02:36:19 am »
Okay PM your email and I'll get onto that tomorrow as it's late here now.  :=\
Got it thanks but zipped there's no need for it.  :)
16671KB > 126KB and attached.  :-DD

That was still on a USB drive and although I've put the SHS away let me know if you need anything else.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf