Author Topic: Siglent SNA5000A two and four port VNA's  (Read 17327 times)

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SNA5000A two and four port VNA's
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2023, 06:55:31 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2024, 01:26:55 am »
SNA5004A
Member EE-digger asked for some HPAK Cal kit support screenshots.
15 HPAK Cal kits are supported.

Cal kit used F603FE Female 4.5 GHz 3.5 mm at the end of 500mm So-So cheap SMA cable connected to N-SMA adapter on N type port. Basic SOL Cal performed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2024, 02:04:08 am »
Thanks for those images, Rob. 

I received my new SNA5000A the other day and the VNA side is excellent, everything I had hoped it would be to replace an Agilent PNA.

The VNA menu flow will take some getting used to.  Agilent was always about the best on the market, except for markers which always sucked.  Siglent's markers are a little bit better, but different.

To me, S11 noise floor (directivity) immediately after a cal is a good indicator of instrument quality.  The SNA returns a nice < -70 dB across the range.  The SVA1032X, for comparison, returns typically -55dB with the same cal kit.  The cal also appears to be quite stable over several hours, probably more.

The VNA port extensions and fixturing look very good.  Spent time with the port extensions and was pleased to find AUTO open or short extensions.  I'm experimenting with a variety of cal kit parts and this is handy to have.

The Spectrum Analyzer (timed demo) is what they say it is and LESS.  Siglent calls it basic spectrum analysis.  A big surprise is that it is not a swept superhet type of SA.  They use various mixing / multi level suppression methods which I can just grasp.

The SA lacks MANY of what we've come used to seeing on an analyzer.  You can't even change input attenuation in, say, 10dB steps.  It only has a "standard", "low noise" and "auto" setting.  What it is providing is not published and I didn't have time to test it.  The SA lacks most additional functions found in a $1600 SSA3021X-P.  The input has NO correction capabilities, another disappointment.  Not to remain on this downhill slope, I'll stop.

But the VNA shines and I love it.  The SA should be FREE in its current form.  The Time Domain math (also timed demo) looks very good.

For a handful of minutes I was in fear of not being able to display a stored trace and a live on top of it.  Siglent does not make this easy.  But their trace COPY, MOVE and other stuff seems pretty complete.  I was able to get a live and stored overlayed but need to do it a few more times.  I think this would make a good YouTube video as it's commonly used.  Maybe when I get some free time.  update - displaying live and stored trace is a piece of cake which I missed.  It's under MATH.

So in summary, after two days of major playing, the VNA gets 10 chili peppers while the SA gets a 0.5 chili pepper.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 01:26:12 pm by EE-digger »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2024, 03:05:27 am »
Screenshots of interesting stuff or it's all lies Dennis.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2024, 09:37:39 pm »
Here is a selection of screen shots from the SNA5002A.  I only included one SA image but in answer to those wondering about the low end, it looks good down to 9kHz.

The S11 noise floor seems to vary with IFBW (not always better when lower) and the number of points helps.  I like to run 1601 points out of old habit.

Some of the shots show the hard keys on and off.  Siglent was genius to include the hard keys on the remote interface.  You don't NEED to have them on because you can go back from the column of soft keys, with a lot more button pushing.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with the VNA. The SA is in a different league and that's all I'll say on this glorious day  :-+

< OPEN EACH IMAGE IN A NEW TAB FOR FULL RESOLUTION >
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 09:49:01 pm by EE-digger »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, egonotto, tautech, 2N3055

Offline fjullien

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2024, 09:36:18 am »
Hi EE-digger,

For a handful of minutes I was in fear of not being able to display a stored trace and a live on top of it.  Siglent does not make this easy.  But their trace COPY, MOVE and other stuff seems pretty complete.  I was able to get a live and stored overlayed but need to do it a few more times.  I think this would make a good YouTube video as it's commonly used.  Maybe when I get some free time.  update - displaying live and stored trace is a piece of cake which I missed.  It's under MATH.

Could you please detail how you got this working?
I'm still looking for this after several minutes :)

Franck.

Offline fjullien

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2024, 09:44:27 am »
Ok, I think I've found it. The "Data->Memory" button copies the trace to the memory of this one trace.
Then, "Display" let you choose if you want to display the trace or trace+memory or the memory alone.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2024, 04:09:24 pm »
Glad you found it.  There are other things which could use written help somewhere.

Averaging is another.  In VNA, you enable averaging under the IFBW button.  In SA, like many SAs, you change the trace type (under math, trace type) to averaging.  Averaging then appears on the soft keys.

I'm also in search mode, see next post.

Offline EE-digger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2024, 04:11:25 pm »
The SNA5000A does not have a ZERO SPAN mode for the SA.  This is a real problem because without it, you can't examine any time domain characteristics of a single frequency signal (for instance, advertising on Bluetooth).

I hope Siglent will add this at some point.  I hope they can.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf