Author Topic: Siglent Software on a Mac OS  (Read 3976 times)

Offline mawyattTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Siglent Software on a Mac OS
« on: November 20, 2020, 04:43:53 pm »
Wondering if someone has been successful in operating the various Siglent Windows apps on a Mac OS using WINE (or something besides bootcamp). Things like EasyScopeX, EasyWaveX and EasySpectrum for example.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent Software on a Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:55:56 pm »
Nope. Not having any Siglent kit would be the explanation of that.

However, I have run quite a few other bits and bobs of Windows targeted software that talk to other instruments on a Mac. WINE has become problematic since the shift to a fully 64 bit macOS and often wasn't the best solution anyway. It may have caught up and now run happily in a 64 bit world, but it's a few months since I last took a look at it.

As soon as you get something that needs to talk to USB ports and the like you're better served, IMHO, by going to emulation and running Windows under VirtualBox or VMWare's Fusion (or possibly Parallels, I have no direct experience of Parallels).

I haven't had any outright failures using VirtualBox, but it's a bit clunky as you might expect, mostly in respect of trying to make it as seamless as possible. After all, you probably want to play with the actual data you get out on the macOS side of things, and that involves saving to a shared drive that both sides of the setup can read and write.

I've also run some FPGA vendor's tools under Linux in a VM that need to talk to USB to program dev boards, and that's worked OK too.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:30:00 pm »
Agree with Cerebus. Virtualbox will work (if you have an Intel Mac that is). If you use USB to connect it you will need the VirtualBox Extension Pack. Be careful with that if you are a commercial user as it's licensed for personal use only. Oracle has been going after companies using it and suing them. Parallels may work as well (never tried it)

It all talks via serial or over network via TCP though so you can poke it with python easy enough... Keysight example I did:

Offline Kibabalu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:37:10 pm »
If necessary I'm using 'Parallels Desktop' to run Win-Applications for my Siglent, Keysight and Tektronix stuff. But mostly python scripts with pyvisa or the internal 'websites' are sufficient for basic operations like saving waveforms, screen capture etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:44:15 pm by Kibabalu »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:03:56 pm »
Wondering if someone has been successful in operating the various Siglent Windows apps on a Mac OS using WINE (or something besides bootcamp). Things like EasyScopeX, EasyWaveX and EasySpectrum for example.

Best,
For the gear you have except for SDG2042X and EasyWaveX, what can't you do that the inbuilt web browser won't support ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »

Best,
For the gear you have except for SDG2042X and EasyWaveX, what can't you do that the inbuilt web browser won't support ?

I been able to get the SSA3021X Plus and SDS2102X Plus working using the web browser but don't see how to control the various functions without an equivalent hard key button. For example on the SDS2102X Plus how do you get access to the AWG, or on the SSA3021X Plus how do you get into the VNA mode?

I'm not complaining as the web browser is great, but apparently does have limits on what you can control. Do you think will Siglent enable this feature in the SDG2042X with future firmware upgrade?

Best,

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:46:12 pm »

Best,

I been able to get the SSA3021X Plus and SDS2102X Plus working using the web browser but don't see how to control the various functions without an equivalent hard key button. For example on the SDS2102X Plus how do you get access to the AWG, or on the SSA3021X Plus how do you get into the VNA mode?
Haven't got any demos on hand to check however IIRC there's a small blue tab at the bottom right of the Instrument Control display image that when clicked expands the image so the virtual front panel buttons become visible. I might have this mixed up as there's also another tab top right.
Anyways, one does full screen (Esc to return) and the other makes the front panel visible.
Have a try with those.

Do you think will Siglent enable this feature in the SDG2042X with future firmware upgrade?
IDK however I don't think so. It's more likely a new range of instruments arises from this need but maybe not.
EasyWaveX has been dramatically improved from its previous incarnation EasyWave I believe to give better remote control capability however it's not a patch on a proper web server and there's some NIVISA bloat required for its connectivity drivers.
I haven't played with EasyWaveX much but it's a vastly improved tool from its previous version.

A wet Sunday morning here so maybe a good chance to get to know it better.

You've used it on Windoze already haven't you ?
Some VM seems to be the only option for you on the Fruit PC.

Do you have a Linux box ?
LXI tools might be an option:
https://youtu.be/c6IZMStyuo4

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:06 pm »
Also I am using Parallels Desktop for a variety of instruments (Rohde & Schwarz, PicoScope, Siglent) and also for generic applications such as HKJ's TestController.

While PicoScope also has a 'Beta' MacOS application, their Windows app is really better... (the PicoLog app on MacOS, however, is as good as the Windows counterpart).

On Parallels, they apps all works like a charm. Also have a well-specified Windows laptop here, but hardly feel any reason to start that one when Parallels is just a click of a button away. Another advantage is that you can create 'clean' virtual machines, if you feel software might mess up things, or you want to try something using a sandbox.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:10:45 pm »

Best,

Haven't got any demos on hand to check however IIRC there's a small blue tab at the bottom right of the Instrument Control display image that when clicked expands the image so the virtual front panel buttons become visible. I might have this mixed up as there's also another tab top right.
Anyways, one does full screen (Esc to return) and the other makes the front panel visible.
Have a try with those.

Do you think will Siglent enable this feature in the SDG2042X with future firmware upgrade?
IDK however I don't think so. It's more likely a new range of instruments arises from this need but maybe not.
EasyWaveX has been dramatically improved from its previous incarnation EasyWave I believe to give better remote control capability however it's not a patch on a proper web server and there's some NIVISA bloat required for its connectivity drivers.
I haven't played with EasyWaveX much but it's a vastly improved tool from its previous version.

A wet Sunday morning here so maybe a good chance to get to know it better.

You've used it on Windoze already haven't you ?
Some VM seems to be the only option for you on the Fruit PC.

Do you have a Linux box ?
LXI tools might be an option:
https://youtu.be/c6IZMStyuo4

No luck with trying to get access to the button keys on either instrument, and can't find the tab either.

No not used Windoze, only Mac so far. I do have a few RPi , so may give one of them try.

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:52 pm »
No luck with trying to get access to the button keys on either instrument, and can't find the tab either.
OK dammit I might have to rock over to my mates place to get back the demo unit....or maybe he can check this out for us.  :popcorn:
Not being able to access the Mode button with the web browser would be a right PITA so if not it's a bug and need be reported.

Gimme a bit to get hold of hendorog and check this out.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 10:46:07 pm »
OK dammit I might have to rock over to my mates place to get back the demo unit....or maybe he can check this out for us.  :popcorn:
Not being able to access the Mode button with the web browser would be a right PITA so if not it's a bug and need be reported.

The Keysight 34465A just places a virtual image of the DVM, and all the "buttons" work as usual from the web browser, but the Siglents don't give access to the "buttons" as far as I can tell. You need to get whatever function into the screen display before it can be manipulated by the web browser unless I'm missing something.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:56 pm »

Web server, with the main menu box top of the display click it with your mouse and the full menu pops down in which is the Mode menu.

Thanks hendorog.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 12:57:40 am »

Web server, with the main menu box top of the display click it with your mouse and the full menu pops down in which is the Mode menu.

Thanks hendorog.  :)

Been able to get to the AWG of the SDS2102X Plus by way of the Utility menu with web browser, but can't get anything on the SAA3021X Plus to respond that directly involves the "buttons". Tried clicking on the top of the main menu box but nothing happens  :-//

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 01:39:38 am »
OK a couple of pics, one from hendorog and another I had on file.
A mouse works the same as touch when in a web server page and by clicking the top menu where the 3 blue vertical dots are the main menu should pop out like this:

So in the webserver page below clicking the Limit1 Edit button should pop out the main menu also.

BTW, what browser are you using ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 02:24:21 pm »
Ok, thanks got this far and it works.

Now I've noticed that if I try and enter a number the number gets repeated many times in the display window. For example trying to enter 3 GHz for stop frequency places 3 333 in the display window, or if I enter 1 I get 1 111 111 111, or 8 I get 8 888 and so on.

I'm using Safari browser, so definitely a bug in the UI.

Later may try and get this browser feature working on the RPi under Raspian if I can.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Edit: Just got this working with Raspian (Chrome) and it works OK, no issue with repeated numbers?? While Chrome is running the Safari interface works without repeating numbers, but without Chrome the Safari interface reverts back to the multiple number effect?? Also noted that Chrome is more responsive than Safari and even Safari gets slightly more responsive when Chrome is active??

Interesting effects, but the little RPi seems to work nicely with Chrome and the Siglent web browser feature!!

Another pleasant  surprise from Siglent gear, now if they would just enable the SDG2042X for web browser  ;D

Best,
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:53:49 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Kibabalu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 04:54:34 am »

Now I've noticed that if I try and enter a number the number gets repeated many times in the display window. For example trying to enter 3 GHz for stop frequency places 3 333 in the display window, or if I enter 1 I get 1 111 111 111, or 8 I get 8 888 and so on.

I faced this issue with Safari just from time to time. Closing the connection and reopening it always let the 'keybounce' disappear.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mawyatt

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 05:18:20 am »

I faced this issue with Safari just from time to time. Closing the connection and reopening it always let the 'keybounce' disappear.
Thanks Kibabalu for confirming this. Just sent Siglent mail to look into these problems.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Kibabalu

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf