Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303D review  (Read 91722 times)

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303D review
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »
As promised earlier, here's a couple of quick mockups of what I think would improve the UI a bit. It shows both setting and readout value all the time. The first image shows Channel 1 turned on, giving both the setting and readout values. Channel 2 is switched off.

The second image shows the display during editing - someone has rolled the setting wheel to adjust the voltage level. Additionally, when you're editing a value, you're editing one digit at once - the idea with this UI is that those left/right buttons would move the cursor left or right.

The Korad KA3005P is a good example of this - that lets you adjust the voltage in units of 10V, 1V, 0.1V or 0.01V. It applies wraparound to the higher digit. E.g. if you're currently editing in 0.1V steps then rolling the wheel moves from 2.80V, 2.90V, 3.00V, 3.10V, ...

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »
Another idea, if there's sufficient spare CPU bandwidth and refresh rate on the display, is to add an analog bargraph to the readout sections. This way, you could easily see the actual voltage / current level as a fraction of the target setting. The intention here would be that the bargraph is updated a lot more frequently than the rest of the screen - ideally something around 10 to 20 frames/sec if the measurement hardware and management CPU can manage it.

The bars here are currently green, but if the measured reading too high; say, more than 1% over the set target, they'd turn red.

There aren't many programmable power supplies that have an analog bargraph to their readout - I think this could be a really nice addition here, and quite a distinguishing factor.

I've also adjusted sizes a bit, making the Set area smaller, to give the Read area some more space.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:58:43 pm by leonerd »

Siglent America

« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2015, 05:21:29 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Leornerd.
I will forward your ideas to Engineering with the suggestion that we display both programmed and actual output levels at the same time.

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2015, 05:47:30 pm »
Excellent - thanks "Siglent America". Feel free to point people in my direction if you want more clarification on the idea, or if something's unclear.

And thanks for taking the time to reply; I know some companies wouldn't even bother. It's good to see someone's listening :)

Siglent America

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »
Hi Frank.

I sent your suggestion and drawings to Engineering and received this response from the VP of Engineering- below.
Thanks again for your good suggestions!
Steve
<<<<

Hi Steve

The guy's suggestions are  good. I very like this kind of feedback. I will remember his name,Leonerd

The suggestion of improve the control way of setting knob, we had implemented the similar way as he suggesed in new SPD3000X power supply.
    About suggestion of display the set value and actual output value in the screen at same time, we think it is a good idea. I had discussed with Owen and our enigneer , and we will implement it in the next SPD3000X firmware.

Very thank you for monitoring the EEVblog and forward this kind of feedback and some review video and  big issues to us. It is a very good commnication way with customer, and can help we improve our products.

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
Hi Frank.

I sent your suggestion and drawings to Engineering and received this response from the VP of Engineering- below.
Steve
<<<<

Hi Steve

The guy's suggestions are  good. I very like this kind of feedback. I will remember his name,Leonerd

The suggestion of improve the control way of setting knob, we had implemented the similar way as he suggesed in new SPD3000X power supply.
    About suggestion of display the set value and actual output value in the screen at same time, we think it is a good idea. I had discussed with Owen and our enigneer , and we will implement it in the next SPD3000X firmware.

Very thank you for monitoring the EEVblog and forward this kind of feedback and some review video and  big issues to us. It is a very good commnication way with customer, and can help we improve our products.

:-+
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2015, 10:34:55 pm »

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I have one question though - would this feature only be added on the X version of the PSU, or will it be available on the D as well?

Siglent America

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2015, 12:24:43 pm »
Leonerd,

The C/D/S models use different FW than the new X/X-E models.
Your suggestions will only be implemented in the new X/X-E models for now. If there is enough demand for the change on the C/D/S versions then we will certainly look at doing it on those as well.

Because the new X-Series power supplies are only a few dollars more than the C/D/S models then then the D/S models will probably fade away. The LED version (C) is less expensive so I anticipate it will be around for a while. Of course, it doesn't hacve the larger LCD display so it cannot display as much information at once as the other models.

Thanks again for your suggestion!
Steve

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2015, 12:59:41 pm »
Leonerd,

The C/D/S models use different FW than the new X/X-E models.
Your suggestions will only be implemented in the new X/X-E models for now. If there is enough demand for the change on the C/D/S versions then we will certainly look at doing it on those as well.

Because the new X-Series power supplies are only a few dollars more than the C/D/S models then then the D/S models will probably fade away. The LED version (C) is less expensive so I anticipate it will be around for a while. Of course, it doesn't hacve the larger LCD display so it cannot display as much information at once as the other models.

It's understandable that the different series use different FW - I understand the X version has ethernet, so probably a different MCU inside, could be all sorts of other internals changed. But given the UI looks so similar in both cases, the idea itself should work fine either way.

You say "a few dollars more" - I see on siglent.eu the D version for €299 vs the X-E at €370 - that's not "a few dollars", that's nearly a third more. For the 1mV version, the S costs €399 vs the X at a massive €509. That's quite the difference there.

If you're saying you won't be further maintaining the D and S versions, then you may lose out on a portion of the market like hobbyists such as myself, who don't care about ethernet connection. If you are intending to discontinue the D/S versions, then I'm a little disappointed at having only just bought myself a new one.

Siglent America

« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »
I don't have the international pricing handy, but only that for North America.

SPD3303C: $289
SPD3303D: $369
SPD3303S: $529

New SPD3303X: $539 ($10 more than the SPD3303S)
SPD3303X-E: $389 ($20 more than the SPD3303D).

And you are correct on why we changed the MPU, Leonerd.

With so many new products having just come out and more new ones coming soon then the Engineering manpower has to be considered, where to spend the Engineering resources. If enough customers with the D/S versions want the upgrade then we will certainly look at doing so.

if you would like to send me a PM with where an when you purchased your unit then I will pass that on to our appropriate people.
Steve

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2015, 01:31:28 pm »
I don't have the international pricing handy, but only that for North America.

SPD3303C: $289
SPD3303D: $369
SPD3303S: $529

New SPD3303X: $539 ($10 more than the SPD3303S)
SPD3303X-E: $389 ($20 more than the SPD3303D).

Ah; I see. In that case, that looks a much more reasonable proposition - plus I see the specs on the X/X-E are a little better, as they seem to have higher accuracy voltage/current measurement. At an almost-unbelievably good 0.03% on voltage and 0.3% on current - are we quite sure this isn't a typo? ;)

And you are correct on why we changed the MPU, Leonerd.

With so many new products having just come out and more new ones coming soon then the Engineering manpower has to be considered, where to spend the Engineering resources. If enough customers with the D/S versions want the upgrade then we will certainly look at doing so.

I can certainly understand the idea of not spreading resources too thinly, and trying to keep a smaller range of different products. I was just concerned at the difference in cost for new features people may not want; but it seems from your US list prices the difference isn't so bad. Maybe the distributor I was quoting my prices from are just trying to shift some of the "older" model a lot cheaper, to get rid of them...

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »

You say "a few dollars more" - I see on siglent.eu the D version for €299 vs the X-E at €370 - that's not "a few dollars", that's nearly a third more. For the 1mV version, the S costs €399 vs the X at a massive €509. That's quite the difference there.

I may retract that in fact; I was looking at just one supplier, who I think may have been selling off older stock cheaply. Looking at other places, I can find sellers offering the X-E for literally the same price as the D. E.g. in the UK

http://www.tester.co.uk/process-and-industrial/industrial-test-equipment/ac-dc-power-supplies

has both for £269 currently.

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2015, 03:21:58 pm »
Upgrading the D version firmware would be nice, because I have a SPD3303D. But it doesn't need to be all changes like for the X version with different GUI, if this is too much work to backport. Just a small change to somehow change the voltage in 0.1 V steps and I would be happy. Could be even a very small patch to adjust it in 0.1 V steps *instead* of 0.01 V steps, because so far I didn't need 0.01 V steps, but often 0.1 V steps, which the firmware programmer could do in a minute.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »
Could be even a very small patch to adjust it in 0.1 V steps *instead* of 0.01 V steps, because so far I didn't need 0.01 V steps, but often 0.1 V steps, which the firmware programmer could do in a minute.

I don't think that would fly with most users ;) I for one would still like to access the full resolution of voltage setting that the hardware supports; I'd just like a quicker way to enter the numbers.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:13 am »
Could be even a very small patch to adjust it in 0.1 V steps *instead* of 0.01 V steps, because so far I didn't need 0.01 V steps, but often 0.1 V steps, which the firmware programmer could do in a minute.

I don't think that would fly with most users ;) I for one would still like to access the full resolution of voltage setting that the hardware supports; I'd just like a quicker way to enter the numbers.

I have the S model and yes I agree, a way to shift through all the digits with the knob is the best approach. Siglent not planing to give the older SPD series any further software upgrade is a big disappointment. Those are recently bought expensive enough units. At least the all digits can shift to set issue must be addressed.

By the way, in my S there is always a 2mA residual measured and displayed without anything connected in all modes except in the parallel mode. Along with the resultant power displayed. It keeps on adding when more current is drawn by some load, its not just a ghost before connecting. Do you guys have that thing in your units? Or some annoying green red light cycling and relay clicking on CH2 when having PARA pressed and the outputs activated before connecting a load?

Also the rotary started shuttling the setting with no tactile feel as to why or in any steady pattern. Almost burned an expensive circuit I was testing when I tried to go from 14V to 15V and it flown to 19V with just one click to the right. Saved it being quick on the off button. Going higher instead of lower when turning to the left sometimes even. I think I remember no shuttle mode or it was more disciplined a few months ago when I bought it. Some more accurate following of the rotary movement must be addressed. Else its dangerous to try step it live. At least in mine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:26:12 am by Salas »

Offline DSoldano

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2016, 12:10:52 am »
Well, I'm having an interesting problem with my SPD3303D. I never tested it originally other than a power on test and then it stood in the closet for a while. I am working on a programmable DC load project and was using the SPD3303D as the circuit power supply (using the fixed 5V output) and also as the source input for the load - Channel 1 - set to 5v and 1A max at this point to limit the power and avoid magic smoke since I haven't mounted anything to a heatsink yet.

I noticed that every time I get above about 100 ma draw the voltage readout on my circuit was dropping. I thought it was a problem with my circuit until I put a handheld multimeter on the output. My circuit is fine. The voltage starts to drop off after 100 ma although the display on the power supply still shows 5V. at about .5A the power supply voltage drops off to about 4.85V yet the display still shows 5V.

Anyone notice a similar issue? Am I doing something wrong? If it's the power supply that's pretty crappy regulation with such a small percentage of the full current potential.

Dominick

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2016, 12:45:28 am »
The voltage starts to drop off after 100 ma although the display on the power supply still shows 5V. at about .5A the power supply voltage drops off to about 4.85V yet the display still shows 5V.
Did you measure it at the connectors at the power supply or at your circuit? Could be losses in the cables.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline DSoldano

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2016, 01:00:40 am »
Frank,

Thanks for the quick response. I measured it at the terminals and at the circuit. I used the same brand of cables both for the meter and from the power supply to the circuit. Voltage read the same in both cases. If it was cable losses they should have been cut in half when I measured at the power supply terminals since it effectively reduced the length of the overall cable by half.

I have the mains/line voltage selector switch set to 120V on the back of the meter - I'm used to equipment labeled 110V/120V in the US but this doesn't have a 110V setting only 100V or 120V. I'm tempted to see if it's a low voltage problem and try the 100V setting but I don't want to blow up the supply.

Dominick

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2016, 03:54:42 am »
I can't reproduce the problem. I set 5 V for channel 1 and 1 A max, connected a 10 ohm resistor with some thick test wires, 1 m long each, and I can measure 4.97 V at the resistor and 4.999-5.0 V at the terminal (measured directly at the washers on the front panel). It is configured for 230 V. Mains voltage is 226 V (true RMS, all measured with a BM257s).

I think it should work with the 120 V setting, usually there is some safety margin and then it should only show problems with higher voltages, if it is not some low-voltage tap at the transformer which is right at the edge between two ranges. 100 V should not blow it up, it just gets a bit warmer. Try to measure your mains voltage (carefully, with a good meter).

Dave did a review of the SPD3303X and there were issues with the banana plugs. The socket was slighty too wide, so some banana plugs are a bit loose in it and this caused some voltage drop, too, if you wiggle it.

Offline DSoldano

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »
Frank,

I tried checking the contact between the banana plugs and the binding posts - they are pretty tight and wiggling them provided no change.I even switched to the spade lug cables that came with the unit to be sure. Same behavior as earlier - it appears to drop off from 4.98V no load / open circuit to 4.78V at 1.2A. I tried both channels. The behavior is the same on both Channel 1 and Channel 2. I even tried running the channels in parallel - same behavior. The display on the SPD3303D reads 5.00V throughout the whole exercise, never wavers although the current reading changes.

I also tried changing the power setting in the back of the unit from 120V to 100V. The fan gets a bit louder but otherwise exactly the same behavior.

I'm not sure if I should bother trying a firmware update or not or just contact Siglent.

Dominick

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »
Sounds like your unit is broken, but warranty should cover this.

Offline Renae

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:00 pm »
Hi Frank.

Steve
<<<<

Hi Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting out there and answering questions about your products.

I see there appears to be a firmware that was released just before your post above and I suspect the update you are referring to would be in the next update. Do you know when there will be another firmware update for the X series implementing the aforementioned graphical update? I too would find it immensely useful to see the current setting in addition to the current reading. I'm also curious about adjustment in the hundredths. I was looking at the D version just before purchasing and I saw there was an update in January for the D version but for some reason I did not check the X version. Well, I changed my mind to get the X version partially based on your post. I just now checked the X firmware date and saw, as mentioned above, there has been no update for a while.

Thanks again

Siglent America

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:38 pm »
Hi, FrankBuss, Ranae, and others.

We are about ready to release the new FW that shows both the programmed settings as well as the actual output values.

We'd like your opinion on which screen User Interface you prefer. Please see the three attached screen shots and let us know which one you prefer (UI-1, UI-2, UI-3) and we will use that one in our new FW.
Thanks
Steve

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »

We are about ready to release the new FW that shows both the programmed settings as well as the actual output values.

We'd like your opinion on which screen User Interface you prefer. Please see the three attached screen shots and let us know which one you prefer (UI-1, UI-2, UI-3) and we will use that one in our new FW.
Thanks
Steve

UI-1  :-+

regards
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline Chupacabras

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2016, 01:04:45 pm »

Thanks
Steve
I have SPD3303X-E and any of those 3 options are better than current one.
I like UI-3 and UI-2. (edit: I think UI-2 is less logical according to physical connectors than UI-3)
But I have a challenge for you: make it changeable in setup so user can choose any of it :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:25:10 pm by Chupacabras »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf