Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303D review  (Read 92147 times)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Siglent SPD3303D review
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »
1. UI-1
2. UI-3
4. UI-2 because outputs are horizontally but display is vertically...

Other things.

Please add user selectable monocolor amber also. Not all peoples want lab as "Hong-Kong" street with all different colors and lights. Also because some lab environments are not very bright. It need some kind of "night vision" mode. Also, if it is possible to add even some  brightness adjustment. My opinion is that it is not too difficult to add user selectable things to small settings menu what can call with simple keystrokes etc. (if there is any room in memory)

Then: Please bruteforce someone in factory enough hard that they change outputs binding posts spacing so that it meet "standards" if they do not have this already in new production.  Standard distance is 19.05mm (3/4 inch) and nothing else. It iss not 19.5, it is not 20, it is not 18.5. It is exactly and only 19.05mm. Period.  All double plugs have this.  Who is response about wrong distance. Designer need know what he is doing. I have noted this long long time to Siglent but it was like talking to walls.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2016, 11:52:24 am »
I like UI-3 more than UI-1. Rounded corners seem dated.

Siglent America

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »
Thank you to everyone that voted.
#1 and #3 seemed to be the most popular. The factory sent me new FW with #1 in it but it was not the official release.

I will pass on the results of our little survey to them. I expect the FW update to show up on our website very soon.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2016, 03:32:31 am »
We just bought some SPD3303X-E's. What is the current firmware, and when is the new one due for release?

Josh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2016, 06:31:16 am »
We just bought some SPD3303X-E's. What is the current firmware, and when is the new one due for release?

Josh
Good question Josh.
There's been no new FW for these PSU's AFAIK, there no sign of any on the Siglent FW pages:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/support_software_15?page=1

So that means the FW they've been supplied with is still current.

Do you have an issue that needs looking at?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Siglent America

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:15 pm »
Good morning.

I don't have an exact date on the new FW but I do know if has the new screen that shows both the programmed (set) values as well as the actual output values. I believe it should be out any time and I will check on it. Please be watching for it at www.SiglentAmerica.com.

Steve

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2016, 12:42:09 pm »
I do, but I don't think it is a firmware issue. We bought 3, and one of them has locked up after going into screen saver,  and on power up, either all the lights are on and they don't go off, or they are off and they don't go on. It is weird. Channels are still controllable, but they don't look like they are. Sometimes a button press changes all the lights to off, or on.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »
I do, but I don't think it is a firmware issue. We bought 3, and one of them has locked up after going into screen saver,  and on power up, either all the lights are on and they don't go off, or they are off and they don't go on. It is weird. Channels are still controllable, but they don't look like they are. Sometimes a button press changes all the lights to off, or on.
Siglent Tech support has been linked to your reply, please keep us posted as to the outcome.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:28 pm »
Thanks. I emailed the supplier yesterday, so will see how they want to go. Not my week, first they were delivered to the wrong address, now a funny one (of course the one I set up on MY desk!)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2016, 10:18:07 am »
Thanks. I emailed the supplier yesterday, so will see how they want to go. Not my week, first they were delivered to the wrong address, now a funny one (of course the one I set up on MY desk!)
Here's that new FW you inquired about:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SPD3303X-E-P02.02R2.rar
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2016, 10:31:38 pm »
Charles from the Siglent dealer here in Australia, Trio Test and Cal dropped in yesterday and picked the suspect unit up.

The problem was intermittent (of course), and seemed to be mainly to do with the LEDs behind the buttons. They would just not operate when the buttons were pushed, or they would stay on when the buttons were pushed. Other functions all worked as expected, despite the indications of the LEDs. There was also one instance of freezing when left on after entering screen save, so perhaps a faulty connector or solder joint.

My new unit should arrive shortly. Thanks for the great response!

Offline xyrtek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2016, 02:43:12 am »
Hi, FrankBuss, Ranae, and others.

We are about ready to release the new FW that shows both the programmed settings as well as the actual output values.

We'd like your opinion on which screen User Interface you prefer. Please see the three attached screen shots and let us know which one you prefer (UI-1, UI-2, UI-3) and we will use that one in our new FW.
Thanks
Steve

Glad to see Siglent is listening, well done. There are probably more customers to be had than just the ones that post on the forum  ;)

I like UI-2 but, why not make them all available and let the customers decide? Asking for a friend.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2016, 02:53:15 am »
Welcome to the forum xyrtek

Nice collection of new Siglents you have.  :-+

Spend some time here and you'll see a few of us watching.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline xyrtek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum xyrtek

Nice collection of new Siglents you have.  :-+

Spend some time here and you'll see a few of us watching.  ;)

Thank you. 

Happy to oblige ;)

Offline poundy

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2016, 11:57:14 am »
I am in two minds about posting in this thread or creating my own - well I guess this won out

Have been thinking I need a bench power supply better than my dodgy $10 ebay thing that runs off a wall plug and even with the quirks the Siglent seems to come out on top of the lower priced bunch.  Well except perhaps for the banana plug thing; that's pretty unforgiveable really. 

Anyway, the SPD3303C and D caught my eye because they're in a "comfortable" price point. Justifying more than the AU$440-$500 that they would turn out to be is harder to do to the financial controller - after all I am only a hobbyist, so it's probably hard to convince myself to go higher too!  So that's why I came to you all, to convince me why I should go up the scale.  :)

Here's Trio's (inc GST) pricing at the moment.....
C $439
D $481
S $655
X-E $720
X $974

I won't need 1mV or 1mA resolution, 10mV/10mA is fine.  The graphical display of the D and X-E are nice, but for me not essential, so I totally can get away with the C.  Since the price delta of the C and D is so minimal, and the benefit also so trivial, I can't see any compelling reason to go for the D version, EXCEPT if the UI changes noted earlier are also coming for the D because if the D is also getting the UI tweaks, then I'd opt for it.  Given the X and X-E firmware was out a few weeks ago, and the D and S models haven't seen an update since early 2015, I guess I know the answer (but I'm hoping the Siglent team watching these threads step in and say different).

So, anyone point out logic flaws in the above?  I can't really see the value in stepping from a sub-$500 unit to a $720 unit just to get both the setpoint and actual readings (as much as I would want that)....

One final thing, has anyone seen a vid of the C unit in action adjusting values?  I'd be interested in seeing how quickly it goes from setpoint to reading as that might make it seem laggy when using it. Or if anyone has one and wants to video it, youtube awaits :)

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »
In Dave's review a while back, he noticed some loose 4mm sockets. This was rightly critisiced by him, and in here.

On our power supplies (recently purchased SPD3303X and SPD3303X-E *2) all of the 4mm plugs that I tried fit normally. That includes the shrouded to non shrouded adapters, our stackable 4mm leads from Jaycar, and a some other random ones. None of them feel loose. Perhaps they fixed this?

They are still non standard spacing, but this isn't all that important to me to be honest.

With the new firmware, the display makes much more sense, and can set the set points independently of the measured output. It is also worth noting that the 2.5/3.3/5V channel is overload protected, but the current limit is not adjustable. A pity, but you do have 2 other channels with full control.

This PC software is functional, but not great (being kind here - come on Siglent, it needs more than a day's work).

Overall, happy.

The following users thanked this post: poundy, pxl

Offline poundy

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2016, 09:33:51 pm »
Thanks. You haven't tried to convince me on sending more cash Trio's way.... but you have watered the seeds already planted.  Its unlikely that D and C models will get any love since they're "old", that may also include being manufactured with older stock posts etc and so the issue may be evident....  but if I am going to hand out $720 then that brings back into play some of the GW-Instek models into the decision, and maybe even the Rigol.... sigh, more research needed.  Or just buy the C and be done with it :)

Offline AlexDavidson

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:04 am »
I too am looking at the Siglent SPD3303 models, but would only consider sending cash Trio's way if they were a bit more realistic on price. In the US the SPD3303X-E is about 15% cheaper than the Rigol DP832, but from Trio the SPD3303X-E is actually priced higher than the DP832 from Emona. AU$720 doesn't compare favourably against US$389 for the SPD3303X-E, even taking the low exchange rate and GST into account...

Offline poundy

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:58 am »
I too am looking at the Siglent SPD3303 models, but would only consider sending cash Trio's way if they were a bit more realistic on price. In the US the SPD3303X-E is about 15% cheaper than the Rigol DP832, but from Trio the SPD3303X-E is actually priced higher than the DP832 from Emona. AU$720 doesn't compare favourably against US$389 for the SPD3303X-E, even taking the low exchange rate and GST into account...
I have to agree, the DP832 went to the forefront of my list once I started to convince myself that spending that amount of cash made sense.... although I've bought a few parts on ebay to get me out of the immediate need I had (plus I'm a cheapa$$, and it'll probably be100% better than the collection of dodgy transformers I have today)

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:01 am »

If you are serious, give Trio a call. You never know...

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2016, 01:19:39 am »
My SPD3303S developed an issue where the control knob wouldn't respond normally any more but jumped around the setting like crazy when stepped. Using PC software control all was still setting fine though. Jonas from Siglent.eu shop responded nicely and communicated with the factory. After I filled a fault description form they decided to send me through Jonas a new front face control board to replace. The whole thing was done not too slowly and was free of charge because the unit is under warranty.

Its not a quick job because it takes many disassembly steps that is why I postponed it for a while as the PSU was used to finish a project. Anyway I took it apart today and I exchanged the boards. I am happy to see that it now works correctly again. Thumbs up to Jonas and Siglent for that :-+

Given the opportunity I wonder if Siglent  has more time now to allocate into updating the S series firmware for 1V knob stepping too and not only 0.1V coarse or 0.001V fine? Its a serious drawback in manual operation for the S not having a 1V coarse also. Manual is the most frequent mode of use on a bench after all. It should be starting at 1V coarse then press fine to 0.1V or long press fine to 0.001V. Even better some combination of fine and arrow keys to select any digit from first to last.

Split screen set and out sections would be also nice like they did on the X after listening to our feedback here but lets not ask much. There is a large base of D/S series users and retro-fixing some ergonomic issue surely gives to a company a boost in customer loyalty. Its just a control fix in software, nothing too hard.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:11:19 am by Salas »

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »
I have a similar problem: if turn knob very fast voltage may jump 10V or even more volts (and burn what you are working for).

Don't know if is just a "chinese special feature" or a defect.

Anyone have noticed it?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 6P utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2016, 11:57:19 pm »
It does not have a shuttle mode. I think that we simply prematurely wear out the rotary encoder because we can't select the 10V digit or its next 1V so we spin it a lot to go up and down the full 32V available. My Korad/Tenma budget supply can do it. Has a Voltage/Current shift button, then with the arrow buttons the flashing digit to be changing value with the rotary, changes. So the Siglent with immensely more powerful DSP could also do it if they planned so. But they likely thought USB control would be the primary way and the rotary for small adjustments. Wrongly thought out if so. Manual is the primary mode of operation on a bench.

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »
I think in one of Dave's videos I've seen a power supply where you can set a maximum voltage limit (was it a Rigol?), and you can't accidentally go higher with the rotary encoder. This would be a useful feature for the Siglent as well. There is a lot of space on the display to implement such a feature.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:17 pm »
I think in one of Dave's videos I've seen a power supply where you can set a maximum voltage limit (was it a Rigol?), and you can't accidentally go higher with the rotary encoder. This would be a useful feature for the Siglent as well. There is a lot of space on the display to implement such a feature.
As far as I can tell Frank, all the Siglent PSU's have a lock feature on the front panel in the form of a Lock softkey.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf