Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E Hi-Resolution Output Unlock?  (Read 26804 times)

Offline MotoDanTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SPD3303X-E Hi-Resolution Output Unlock?
« on: December 08, 2018, 06:06:45 am »
Hello all,

Just picked up a Siglent SPD3330X-E supply and thought it might be nice to increase it's voltage and current resolution from 10mV/10mA to the 1mV/1mA that is offered on the SPD3303X supply. Has anyone come up with a hack for this change?

BR's

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: sjm

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E Hi-Resolution Output Unlock?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 06:21:50 am »
It's in the SPD3303X-E thread (or was it the Siglent .ads thread...), you download a modified firmware update, connect it to your computer, and use the software to update the firmware, which enables the high resolution mode.  Very quick to do, over USB.  should be just a search away.

Offline MotoDanTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:56 am »
Awesome, Thanks tautech & DaJMasta! I look forward to the upgrade.

BR's

Offline gorillamotors

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
Just got my 3303X-E in yesterday and modified it. Works good. My question is if there is a new firmware update will it overwrite the hack back to the X-E?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »
Just got my 3303X-E in yesterday and modified it. Works good. My question is if there is a new firmware update will it overwrite the hack back to the X-E?

Good question, I think it might as it is a product-id replacement.  However, these power supplies aren't like the scopes in that there have been very few firmware updates because there just aren't that many features.  Perhaps if they add/flesh-out SCPI commands or something then there might be another firmware update, but I'd actually be surprised to see another update for the current models.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:53:39 pm »

That won't happen because, in FW terms, your equipment is a X version now. So, you'll only be able to install the X version FW, from now on.

Offline sjm

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:36:13 pm »
Yep, very possible.

See here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1830584/#msg1830584

Thanks! Today I finally got into this and it worked. Had to retry flashing several times, but it was a success after all.

BR, -sjm

Offline tkhater

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 04:54:54 pm »
Just wanted to add, I just got this to work as of today, with new equipment purchased from Amazon.

Mine came from the factory with the 1.01.01.02.07R2 firmware.

I did the upgrade as described above.  I did it via USBTMC.  Just as a note, when I sent the "FACTORY ON" command, I got no response from the unit so I was not sure anything happened.  There were a lot of times during this process when I had to restart the EasyPower software and unplug/replug the USB in order to get EasyPower to see the Siglent.  Nonetheless, when it saw the unit, the upgrade proceeded without a hitch.

I flashed the modded firmware, which was 2.05.

I rebooted, and it came up with high resolution mode.

I reflashed the original firmware downloaded from siglentna.com

It came back up with the latest version in high resolution mode.  It reported back as an SPD3303X, and NOT a SPD3303X-E.

Cheers.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 06:58:11 pm »
Just wondering what the accuracy is like after an upgrade like that? I guess it's calibrated as a 10mV/10mA device even though it can do 1mV/1mA. In that case it's probably random how accurate it is on the 1mV/1mA range?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 07:06:44 pm »
Just wondering what the accuracy is like after an upgrade like that? I guess it's calibrated as a 10mV/10mA device even though it can do 1mV/1mA. In that case it's probably random how accurate it is on the 1mV/1mA range?

What is the probability of something that is random in between 1-9 tenths and then, when you reach the full tenth (10, 20, 30 etc.), it gets accurate?   :-// ???

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 08:37:15 pm »
Precision can be trimmed.
See Chapter 3 Calibration instructions in the Service manual:
https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2019/07/SPD3000X-Series-Service-Manual.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 05:31:42 am »
What is the probability of something that is random in between 1-9 tenths and then, when you reach the full tenth (10, 20, 30 etc.), it gets accurate?   :-// ???

What is the probability of it being accurate on the full tenth if you only test in increments of 10?
Lets say Siglent tests it with a load of 10mA and it displays 0.01A, and with a 20mA load it displays 0.02A. That looks perfect. Then a user upgrades and gets an extra digit. With a 10mA load, what does it display? Perhaps 0.010A? Perhaps 0.019A? It could be perfectly spot on, or up to 9mA off.

But I have no clue how they do this, so they might also do calibration in a way that the tens are verified to be accurate.

https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2019/07/SPD3000X-Series-Service-Manual.pdf

Thanks!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 06:44:09 am »
I would presume calibration is automated, so all readouts and writes to PSU are over SCPI. Which might have full resolution. There are many instruments that return additional digits (more than on screen) over SCPI.. So it might be as well that it is calibrated in full precision despite display not showing last few digits..

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 03:07:59 pm »

Recall following this cal procedure when we got our first SPD3303, results were OK. Now need to do same on the one we just received, but it's already involved in a setup {need +- 12V, +5V (variable), +1V (variable), +2.5V (variable), +5V, +6V and +-100V :o } along with the first, so this cal procedure will have to wait.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 02:43:58 pm »
We got a few moments of "free time" and followed up with the second 3303X-E calibration. As mentioned this second 3303X-E was required to support and on-going design effort, it was "enhanced" to a 3303X following the procedures outlined here, same as was our first 3303X-E awhile back.

The 1st 3303X is used to supply critical voltages to expensive chips and has the current limits set to under 20ma, just above the normal operating currents. This has already saved the day :o A certain dumb arse we won't mention ??? used a standard Raspberry Pi breakout PCB for the 40 pin GPIO connector to get access to the 40 analog DAC channels which are on a 40 pin header and are used to drive HV amplifiers, Bi-Phase modulators and Bi-Polar offset modes in another custom PCB. When the system was turned on and commands sent via SPI to activate the various individual channels, certain channels would cause an overcurrent condition and the 3303X would go into a limit condition. This was thought to be due to shorts on the 100 pin LQFP device, after carefully viewing and probing under a microscope this was not the case, which then led to examining all the custom PCB traces for possible shorts without any discovered. So back to the setup but without the IO connector in place, no overcurrent, but with the IO connector and overcurrent condition :-// Turns out the breakout PCB doesn't route each individual pins to the male connector as expected, but ties the various common pins of the Raspberry Pi GPIO together, thus shorting certain pins as experienced |O

Anyway, the second 3303X was used for a more general supply of for VCC and VEE use and current limits set to an arbitrary 100ma and not verified. After calibration it was noted the  current limit was engaged at ~80ma on both channels without any load!! This was thought to be a calibration issue and all the memory was reset and another calibration performed, the result was the same. After many memory and power resets, multiple calibration attempts, this condition still resides even tho the current readings are very accurate over the entire range, as are the voltage readings. This high OC condition seems to be an offset since the readings at actual currents also show an offset of similar value (~80ma). Both supplies exhibit very accurate voltage and current readings over the supplies full range, however only one has the correct current limit settings which are quite accurate, even at the lower ranges which was impressive performance IMO.

Both have the same firmware (1.01.01.02.05), same hardware (V3.0), same product type SPD3303X, so beginning to think this second unit has a hardware issue with the current limit circuit.

BTW I had no idea just how good this supply is regarding voltage, current and current limit accuracy (one at least), until we needed a precision voltage with low current limit and it save our butt ???

Would appreciate if a few others with these "enhanced" 3303X-E could check the current limits at lower levels like 40ma, 20ma and 10ma and report results.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry for the long thread, but figured others might appreciate how this all transpired, and why a precision supply is very valuable for lab use.

Best,

Edit: Here's the setup for the project with only 4 channels, will grow to at least 64 and likely 100. Of course the multiple instances of these PCBs will be integrated into a custom PCB base, and all the Power Supplies (+-75V, +-7V, +5V, +5.5V, +6V) will be replaced with a custom PS running from a single 12V input also supporting custom computer interfaces with USB, SPI and RPi interfaces.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:11:51 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 06:57:53 pm »
Update, just contacted Saelig in NY where we purchased the SDP3303X-E. They have issued a RMA and sent another SPD3303X-E as a replacement  :-+

Talk about value added distribution service, here is an example  :clap:

Best
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 03:03:15 pm »
Follow up on this. The replacement was just received and checked out, decided to "enhance" which was successful, so now a 3303X. Then a cal procedure as outlined in the service manual using a KS34465A and SDL1020X-E. The voltage and current calibrated well, but now the current limit is hosed up like the other. I know suspect something in the cal procedure we did is wrong, but been thru this multiple times and from different perspectives, same result.

Here's what's happening. After the setup and access thru VISA per manual instructions, a *IDN? is sent and everything checks out. Then a *CALCLS 8 is sent to clear all the ch1 and ch2 coefficients, then ch1 voltage calibration is followed and saved with *CALST command, then ch2 voltage, then ch1 current and finally ch2 current. The voltage outputs on Ch1 and Ch2 are spot on, as are the current readings, however the no load current limit is now ~100ma on both channels!!

Repeat the *CALCLS 8 to reset all the coefficients and noted that the no load current reading on ch1 is ~100ma and ch2 ~85ma and this is where the no load current limit trips on both channels. After a current calibration the current readings are correct but the current limit is not, it still has this ~100ma offset and still trips at ~100ma no load. So the current limit trips at the setting plus ~100ma, so for example if I set the current limit to 300ma, then the actual current of ~200ma will cause a current limit.

Then tried a *CALCLS 2 and *CALCLS 3 which clears the current settings and readings with same result as above. So it seems this is an issue in the calibration procedure with an enhanced 3303X-E.

Anyone experience this type of current limit issue?

I guess the next step is to revert back to the 3303X-E and hope this current limit issue doesn't follow.

Edit: Tried to revert back to the 3303X-E from the 3303E we now have to see if this current limit issue can be corrected. With help from tautech we were able to do this with the 3303X that has the .05 firmware version, the other 3303E has the later .07R2 firmware and the proper files back on the Siglent thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1830584/#msg1830584) only support the older .05 firmware (later files may be available tho). Eventually we were able to get back to a base line 3303X-E, however the dreaded current limit offset followed. Tried a couple CAL procedures without success, and not sure what to try next.

A possible warning to others that make the 3303X-E to X enhancement, be very careful if you decide to do a calibration. I've hosed up the current limit on two units now, and can't figure out how to correct this. Believe me we've tried at least 50 calibration attempts, cycled power 20 times, tried various ways including some on USB, others on LAN, and wasted 2 days at this. Nothing seems to dislodge this current limit offset, it even transitions firmware changes, the voltage and current readings are good tho so the supplies are not totally bricked.

One telltale symptom was when *CALCLS 8 was invoked, the no load current reading jumped up ~100ma from 0 and this became the current limit offset which doesn't get corrected when the current calibration is performed. The current limit must be set much higher than 0 even without a load and the real current limit is the setting minus this offset, so if you want 50ma, then you must set the current limit to 50ma + the offset.

Any help or insight with this issue is greatly appreciated.

Best,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:00:10 am by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 06:53:30 am »
Wow, scary. Perhaps tautech can test calibration on a stock X-E (or X) to see if it's related to the modification, or just a buggy calibration feature in general?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:48:14 am by blurpy »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 07:57:26 am »
Wow, scary. Perhaps tautech can test calibration on a stock X-E (or X) to see if it's related to the modification, or just a buggy calibration feature in general?
We have already shared many emails.  ;)

All stock sold so none available to do checks on.  :)  :(
However after receiving a nice SPD series adjustment PDF from the factory not long ago it's already in mawyatt's inbox for when he awakes.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 01:37:06 pm »
Unfortunately the factory PDF is just a text version of the Calibration procedure is the Service Manual, so this does not correct the no load current limit offset issue.

We haven't found any technique to reset the no load offset current back to 0, nothing has worked. We have another SPD3303X-E arriving this week, and will not be attempting any calibrations on this unit if we decide to enhance it to a 3303X.

So think Caution is still applicable until a means to reset the no load current limit is found.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 01:04:40 am »
You mention a 100 mA offset.  I noticed this part of the cal adjustment procedure:

"(1) Connect the output of the channel to be calibrated to the output of the electronic load, and set the electronic load to constant current mode, set the constant current value to 100mA."
(On page 32 of "SPD3000X-Series-Service-Manual.pdf".)

Are you sure that you're following the procedure correctly?

We have two of these instruments at work, but have not had a reason to attempt adjustment.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2021, 08:09:09 am »
My experience doing this kind of cal stuff with gear is that sometimes they don’t actually use a “0” cal point, but something other than 0, it sounds like you should be loading the unit up with 100mA and then doing that part of the cal so it sets its 100mA point when it is actually supplying 100mA, and then moving on from there.

I haven’t read the cal procedure for these units, but from what you have written I am 99% sure that is what is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:10:40 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 08:24:33 am »
Ok, I am reading the service manual right now…

Shown for Ch1, change channel to Ch.2 once ch1 done.

This sets the 100mA cal point: CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,NR3 (with NR3 being the actual current present with the load set to 100mA)

This sets the 2.5A cal point: CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,NR3 (with NR3 being the actual current present with the load set to 2.5A)

It is a bit confusing in the manual where it also has a DISPLAYING calibration section too, which is basically identical apart from the ch1,3 being ch1,1 and ch1,4, being ch1,2 instead.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:30:04 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 01:06:20 pm »
You mention a 100 mA offset.  I noticed this part of the cal adjustment procedure:

"(1) Connect the output of the channel to be calibrated to the output of the electronic load, and set the electronic load to constant current mode, set the constant current value to 100mA."
(On page 32 of "SPD3000X-Series-Service-Manual.pdf".)

Are you sure that you're following the procedure correctly?

We have two of these instruments at work, but have not had a reason to attempt adjustment.

Yes, followed it exactly as outlined in the manual multiple times, then tried multiple variations, always with the same result the current limit or CC without any load goes into CC mode (current limit) and the CC LED turns Red indicating an current limit or overcurrent condition. We could not get the CC mode to disengage with no load until the CC setting was increased to ~100ma, which means that without any load current the CC setting must be greater than this current offset (which should be ~0 normally). If you set your load current to 50ma then you must set the 3303X to this offset current plus the load current, or 100ma offset + 50ma load or 150ma. So the cal procedure has introduced a CC offset that can't be removed by any means we've tried.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2021, 01:48:47 pm »
My experience doing this kind of cal stuff with gear is that sometimes they don’t actually use a “0” cal point, but something other than 0, it sounds like you should be loading the unit up with 100mA and then doing that part of the cal so it sets its 100mA point when it is actually supplying 100mA, and then moving on from there.

I haven’t read the cal procedure for these units, but from what you have written I am 99% sure that is what is wrong.

The cal procedure should fit a simple straight line fit, or Y=MX+B. Per manual the two fits are at 100ma and 2.5A. The CC 100ma offset is not exactly 100ma, more like 85ma on ch1 and 90ma on ch2, and 115ma on ch1 and 122ma on ch2 in the other unit. On the 3303X that is good (I'm not about to try and calibrate it!!) this is a really good fit on both voltage and current, within +-1ma or +-1mv over the entire range as measured with our KS34465A!! The CC setting are also spot on over the entire range, as you would expect with almost 0 offset. Think Siglent is using 24 bit delta-sigma ADC and DAC (kind used for electronic weight scales), so some real precision here!! We've used this 3303X as a variable reference on many occasions, it's accurate, stable and low noise, sure it's not a precision calibration reference but when you need say 1.250V, 2.500V, or 5.000V this puppy is spot on! So hat's off to Siglent for using this kind of ADC and DAC!!

However, the other two 3303X have not been able to get the CC offset back to around 0 where it should be like the one mentioned above.

Many may not care about the current limit CC setting and just set it above some arbitrary limit, as long as the voltage & current readings are accurate. However in our use, especially when dealing with expensive semiconductors in a development system, having a precise CC or current limit can help protect things from overcurrent. I've used this method for over 40 years when we had very accurate current limit lab supplies (HP, Lambda and others), and this has saved the day often!!

Have another SPD3303X-E arriving 7/17, and debating whether to try and "enhance" it to a 3303X, if we do don't think I'll try a cal procedure just yet. If I find some time today will try fiddling with this some more on the unit that's hosed up.

I'm wondering if somehow "enhancing" a 3303X-E to a 3303X has something to do with this, as I'm sure the factory or others would have run across the CC offset problem, or maybe it's bug in the latest firmware release related to the "enhancement". Was able to convert back to a 3303X-E from an enhanced 3303X on one unit, but the offset remained and still could not be removed, so getting back to the initial state of the 3303X-E has failed.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2021, 05:41:00 pm »

This sets the 100mA cal point: CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,NR3 (with NR3 being the actual current present with the load set to 100mA)

This sets the 2.5A cal point: CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,NR3 (with NR3 being the actual current present with the load set to 2.5A)

It is a bit confusing in the manual where it also has a DISPLAYING calibration section too, which is basically identical apart from the ch1,3 being ch1,1 and ch1,4, being ch1,2 instead.

Agree, this is a bit confusing and takes some time to figure out what this cal procedure is trying to do. You have a "Display" value for voltage & current and a "Setting" value for both. This is how I think it's working, the Display value is what's being measured by the internal ADC, for Setting value it's what's being produced by the internal DAC. When you do a calibration for voltage the output Setting is what you set, 1 or 25 volts per manual, then you enter the DMM actual reading in the CALibration:VOLTage command. With two Settings of 1volt and 25 volts, the Y=MX+B equation is fit which matches the Setting and Display values to the entered DMM readings.

When you do a calibration for current the output Setting is what you set on the EXTERNAL LOAD, 100ma or 2.5 amps per manual, then you enter the DMM actual current reading in the CALibration:CURRent command. With two LOAD Settings of 100ma and 2.5A, the Y=MX+B equation is fit which matches the Display & Setting values to the entered DMM readings.

A little algebra shows Y1=M*X1+B and Y2=M*X2+B, so M=(Y2-Y1)/X2-X1) and should yield ~1. B= [Y1+Y2 -M(X1+X2)]/2 which should be ~0 since X1+X2 ~ Y1+Y2 and M~1.

When you do a voltage cal, the Current must be set to higher than the load current which is just the DMM, anything above ~10ma should work. When you do a current cal the Voltage must be set to something higher than the DMM & Load voltage requirement, usually greater than a few volts is sufficient.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 08:07:18 pm »

Agree, this is a bit confusing and takes some time to figure out what this cal procedure is trying to do. You have a "Display" value for voltage & current and a "Setting" value for both. This is how I think it's working, the Display value is what's being measured by the internal ADC, for Setting value it's what's being produced by the internal DAC. When you do a calibration for voltage the output Setting is what you set, 1 or 25 volts per manual, then you enter the DMM actual reading in the CALibration:VOLTage command. With two Settings of 1volt and 25 volts, the Y=MX+B equation is fit which matches the Setting and Display values to the entered DMM readings.

When you do a calibration for current the output Setting is what you set on the EXTERNAL LOAD, 100ma or 2.5 amps per manual, then you enter the DMM actual current reading in the CALibration:CURRent command. With two LOAD Settings of 100ma and 2.5A, the Y=MX+B equation is fit which matches the Display & Setting values to the entered DMM readings.

A little algebra shows Y1=M*X1+B and Y2=M*X2+B, so M=(Y2-Y1)/X2-X1) and should yield ~1. B= [Y1+Y2 -M(X1+X2)]/2 which should be ~0 since X1+X2 ~ Y1+Y2 and M~1.

When you do a voltage cal, the Current must be set to higher than the load current which is just the DMM, anything above ~10ma should work. When you do a current cal the Voltage must be set to something higher than the DMM & Load voltage requirement, usually greater than a few volts is sufficient.

Best,

Mike,
 I believe that is the error.   

Procedure is to calibrate 4 points:  100 mA and 2.5A for current set and readout, as you said.
But external load is set for 3A constant all the time. You set the PSU for 100 mA and 2.5A points and measure with external meter.

Load set at 3A could probably be replaced with dead short, but this way you have safe, current limited short that you know won't overload PSU even if calibration is completely off..

I don't have the PSU, but could you try this way?

Connect output to load. Set load to CC 3A (this is constant trough all 4 measurements)

(Calibration of readout of 100mA point)
Set PSU voltage to 10v, set current to 100mA
Measure current with external meter.
CALibration:CURRent ch1,1,"measured current"

(Calibration of readout of 2.5 A point)
Set PSU for 2.5A
CALibration:CURRent ch1,2,"measured current"

(Calibration of current limit of 100mA point)
CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,"measured current"
(Calibration of current limit of 2.5 A point)
Set PSU for 2.5A
CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,"measured current"

And that for both channels.

If I'm right, i might write down the procedure in clearer language and submit it to Siglent..

Regards,

Siniša

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 12:08:40 am »

Best,

Mike,
 I believe that is the error.   

Procedure is to calibrate 4 points:  100 mA and 2.5A for current set and readout, as you said.
But external load is set for 3A constant all the time. You set the PSU for 100 mA and 2.5A points and measure with external meter.

Load set at 3A could probably be replaced with dead short, but this way you have safe, current limited short that you know won't overload PSU even if calibration is completely off..

I don't have the PSU, but could you try this way?

Connect output to load. Set load to CC 3A (this is constant trough all 4 measurements)

(Calibration of readout of 100mA point)
CALibration:CURRent ch1,1,"measured current"

(Calibration of readout of 2.5 A point)
Set PSU for 2.5A
CALibration:CURRent ch1,2,"measured current"

(Calibration of current limit of 100mA point)
CALibration:CURRent ch1,3,"measured current"
(Calibration of current limit of 2.5 A point)
Set PSU for 2.5A
CALibration:CURRent ch1,4,"measured current"

And that for both channels.

If I'm right, i might write down the procedure in clearer language and submit it to Siglent..

Regards,

Siniša

Reading the procedure again it does read as you indicate, thanks for pointing that out. However following this path of setting the load to 3A and using the 3303X Current setting for 0.1 and 2.5 amps for the calibration points still does not remove the current offset. Just tried this 4 times, and reset the current reading and settings a couple times, then the calibration procedure keeping the load at 3A, then issued a complete coefficient reset with the *CALCLS 8 command a couple times and went thru the same current calibration procedure a couple times. Results are the current offset remains intact, nothing seems to affect it!!

BTW either using the load as the current control, or the 3303X current setting, results in the same excellent current reading throughout the range from a few ma all the way to 3.2 amps, accurate with +-1ma!! Just wish I could figure out how to get rid of this !@#$ current offset, this has become a real pain!!

Thanks for spotting this,

Best,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 12:12:46 am by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 09:32:54 am »
Did you try this procedure on the unit you converted back to X-E as well?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 02:21:27 pm »
No that unit was returned. A new unit should arrive today, so we'll have 3. One the gold standard is spot on in voltage, current and CC setting without any offset, the other is what we've been trying to fix the offset. The conversion file for going back to X-E from X is for the older firmware, not sure new firmware version (07R2) is available, if I can find it may give this a try.

The original usage plan was to have a couple 3303X to create various voltages for a ongoing project, which involved creating HV very accurate (13~14 bit) precision bipolar waveforms, the required dual HV sources are 120V Bench supplies which work OK, but are switchers and produce noise which will impede the measurements. We need to measure arbitrary waveform +-peaks within 13~14 precision from +-1V to +-70V, and have offsets of a few millivolts over the entire range, and this is for 64 independent channels minimum!!

Was going to get a couple clean linear supplies to replace the 120V switchers, but after looking around and some reviews wasn't impressed with what was available at reasonable cost and good build quality. Decided to use the 3303X in series mode to yield +-65 volts which is good enough to make the measurements and "infer" the +-70 waveform performance. This is a very complex system which has me completely stressed out without with these PS issues!! Add insult to injury my right eye was just diagnosed with non-repairable retina damage caused by reduced blood flow likely due to a stroke which explains my depth and peripheral vision problems :P On top of this is some significant on-going family problems, so my stress level is maxed out :(

Anyway, I decided to try and use a custom +-HV switchmode PS designed for a dual HV boost amplifier that works with standard AWG, this was developed to allow precise cause and effect measurements on the Phase Array system this HV 64 channel controller is to support, by allowing high voltage bipolar arbitrary waveforms to be created from a standard AWG like the SDG2042X. It worked very well, with little added noise, significantly lower than the 120V Bench supplies and will become the foundation for the custom +-HV supply for the 64 channel controller. This bipolar HV supply uses a technique we hadn't tried before, where the - voltage is created by transferring charge current at the same time the single inductor current is ramping up, so the FET switch current is the sum of the two currents and controlled. Works well and the +-HV are very close in magnitude and controlled. Here's what the HV amp looks like, the fan is optional. We have another design which is higher current/power based around the PA443 , and another with much higher currents but lower voltages based upon the LM3886. Still need to create the 3D printed end plates for the case.

Best,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 02:24:02 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 05:23:18 pm »
Is it possible that since you calibrated with the wrong current value, the device now isn't able to rollback from that calibration? Like, for example, you exceeded a calib range (offset)... from which the software doesn't have a value to recover.

(For example, the device is able to recover from up to 100 mA offset, but not the 100 mA value itself.)

And now, probably only Siglent or a full flash would be able to reset the device.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 05:39:35 pm »
I am not aware of any previous example of a rollback for the newest firmware. But possibly the attached file would work.
Note this is completely untested! I wouldn't try it without tv84 verifying it first.

Log from creating it:

$ python3 ../convert.py SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2.ADS
SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2.ADS  /  CRC32: 260B1F7F
File Header Size: 00000070
File Checksum: FD844256 [00000004-00094C43] (with only the File Header decrypted)  CKSM True
File Size: 00094BD4 (without 0x70 bytes of the File Header)
Product_ID: 65 / SPD3303X-E
Vendor/Brand: SIGLENT
USB Host Controller: ISP1763
New productId: 64 / SPD3303X
New checksum: FD844257
Writing file: SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2/SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2_ConvertFromSPD3303X.ads

Decrypt it:

$ python3 decrypt.py SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2_ConvertFromSPD3303X.ads
SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2_ConvertFromSPD3303X.ads  /  CRC32: 73030026
File Checksum: FD844257 [00000004-00094C43] (with only the File Header decrypted)  CKSM OK
Product_ID: 64
Decrypting the 0x2800 and 0x1400 blocks...
Reversing file...
XORing with 0xFF (incrementing pattern)...
XORing with 0xFF from 0x0004A5EA until 0x00094BD3
Section Checksum: FA2ABBDC
Section Size: 00094BA0 [00000034-00094BD3]  CKSM OK
Section # 00000007
***** BIN file *****
Writing file: SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2_ConvertFromSPD3303X/decrypted_section7.bin
  File Processed OK

Decrypt the original:

$ python3 decrypt.py SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2.ADS
SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2.ADS  /  CRC32: 260B1F7F
File Checksum: FD844256 [00000004-00094C43] (with only the File Header decrypted)  CKSM OK
Product_ID: 65
Decrypting the 0x2800 and 0x1400 blocks...
Reversing file...
XORing with 0xFF (incrementing pattern)...
XORing with 0xFF from 0x0004A5EA until 0x00094BD3
Section Checksum: FA2ABBDC
Section Size: 00094BA0 [00000034-00094BD3]  CKSM OK
Section # 00000007
***** BIN file *****
Writing file: SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2/decrypted_section7.bin
  File Processed OK

Compare the decrypted files:

$ diff SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2_ConvertFromSPD3303X/decrypted_section7.bin SPD3303X-E_V1.01.01.02.07R2/decrypted_section7.bin
$

The only difference between the original and the modified firmware should be the product id in the header.

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2021, 07:20:39 pm »
Is it possible that since you calibrated with the wrong current value, the device now isn't able to rollback from that calibration? Like, for example, you exceeded a calib range (offset)... from which the software doesn't have a value to recover.

(For example, the device is able to recover from up to 100 mA offset, but not the 100 mA value itself.)

And now, probably only Siglent or a full flash would be able to reset the device.

This is likely, in my rush to get these supplies converted and calibrated, I calibrated the way I thought it should work after glancing over the manual rather than read the manual over and over to be absolutely sure I calibrated they way Siglent specified. Thanks to 2N3055 for pointing this out!!

What is interesting is the current reading is spot on from a couple ma all the way to 3A, but the darn CC offset remains!! I'm debating whether to give the one scheduled to arrive today a try, if I do, will certainly follow the cal manual procedure correctly before I attempt an enhancement, and if it behaves the same with a CC offset, then this points to a serious bug if it's not easily recoverable!!

A nice thing about the 3303X or X-E is not only the use of 24 bit delta sigma ADC and DAC (believe this is correct), but the internal reference seems to be very stable, and the 3rd output is completely isolated, not common to ch1 or ch2. If one were designing for a low cost, then the 3rd channel would be common to either ch1 or 2, which saves a few components (rectifier bridge, filter caps) and an extra transformer winding. So even tho it's not completely settable, being a floating output is nice!!

I'm burnt to crisp now stresswise, so may wait on the attempt when the unit arrivers later today!!

The worldwide shortage of semiconductors is wreaking havoc on the design process, I've had to redesign things over and over as components become available then disappear, so now if we just think a component might be useful we buy a bunch and just store them. Did so with some expensive DACs and HV amps, over $3K in just two part types!! But they are here in my hands  :phew:

Hand soldering the DAC 100 pin 0.5mm pitch package was difficult, tedious, but worked. Got one DAC up and have 4 channels of the 64 running, beautiful, clean and precise HV waveforms, now I need to get the other 60 channels of this stuff done before my eye goes south.

Hey, and thanks so much for all the help you, blurpy, 2N3055 and tautech have provided. You guys are great and really appreciated :-+

Best,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:30:32 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2021, 07:28:45 pm »
 :-+
Any time!

Offline boggis the cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 06:11:02 am »
The worldwide shortage of semiconductors is wreaking havoc on the design process, I've had to redesign things over and over as components become available then disappear, so now if we just think a component might be useful we buy a bunch and just store them. Did so with some expensive DACs and HV amps, over $3K in just two part types!! But they are here in my hands  :phew:
'Just in time' has always been horse-crap.  The manufacturer where I had my first full-time job decided to save money by moving to producing exact component counts and JIT supply chains.  No order could ever be completed on time, and some were cancelled due to failure to meet contract.  So they ended up warehousing expensive finished product until they could find a buyer.

You always have a reject / failure rate, and letting a sales dweeb order your manufacturing supply instead of a production engineer is never going to work smoothly.  Particularly when they find a cheaper supplier, and order a load of counterfeit components.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 01:58:27 pm »
Agree, always thought JIT was a recipe for disaster, so many opportunities for a kink in a single component delivery to stop the entire product production. Unless you build up an inventory of all components to allow for a issue with JIT you are at risk, then why bother with JIT if you maintain a backup inventory!!!

This is a developmental control system to support a new technology for Phased Array Systems, hopefully leading to a full custom chip design. So not exactly a case for JIT, but the shortage is very real and causing lots of issues. This has caused the design approach to shift from using the best design & components for the purpose, to designing for a generic solution which just mets the needs and uses generic components, or worse having to alter the requirements to met the available components.....not exactly the best design approach IMO :o

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 02:23:31 pm »
I am not aware of any previous example of a rollback for the newest firmware. But possibly the attached file would work.
Note this is completely untested! I wouldn't try it without tv84 verifying it first.

Thanks, I'll wait for verification since I don't understand how this firmware works. I've already messed things up enough :P

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 05:24:04 pm »

The file is correct.  :-+

For future reference, both files are attached. As blurpy said, untested.

The following users thanked this post: blurpy, mawyatt, tomwilkinson

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 12:09:34 am »
Just did the downgrade to the X-E from the X version and the CC offset remains. Tried a couple cal routines all unsuccessful in removing the offset. So will just have to live with this unit having a CC offset of 100ma for now I guess.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Forgot to mention that both files work and allow transitioning from X-E to X and from X to X-E versions for the 07R2 firmware.

Best,
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:40:51 am by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 07:49:46 am »
The file is correct.  :-+

For future reference, both files are attached. As blurpy said, untested.

Nice, thanks! Good to know I did the script correctly.

Just did the downgrade to the X-E from the X version and the CC offset remains. Tried a couple cal routines all unsuccessful in removing the offset. So will just have to live with this unit having a CC offset of 100ma for now I guess.

Hmm, just throwing out some thoughts here. I notice the SCPI command "CLREEPROM", mentioned in the first post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/how-to-calibrate-siglent-spd1000x-spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-power-supplies/

We can guess from the name that it clears the eeprom. So what's the consequence? What's stored in the eeprom? Settings probably, calibration probably, serial number possibly. Anything else?

Worst case it removes something you wont be able to get back outside the factory, and bricks the unit. Best case, it resets your settings, calibration and the weird offset.

Siglent knows if it's safe to run and whether it will fix anything, but will they tell us? Or maybe someone understands the code and can say what it does.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2021, 08:23:53 am »
Edit: Forgot to mention that both files work and allow transitioning from X-E to X and from X to X-E versions for the 07R2 firmware.

Thanks for testing.

Nice, thanks! Good to know I did the script correctly.

I'll be providing an award!  :clap: You're the first guy that recreated part of my parser using many of my parsing messages, in Python!! (Have I told you that I hate Python? ? :)) I even had some doubts if I was looking at my parsing or another guy's parsing.  :-DD

I notice the SCPI command "CLREEPROM", mentioned in the first post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/how-to-calibrate-siglent-spd1000x-spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-power-supplies/

We can guess from the name that it clears the eeprom. So what's the consequence? What's stored in the eeprom? Settings probably, calibration probably, serial number possibly. Anything else?

I agree, this is probably the command that is needed and the feature that I talked about before.  :-+ Since the type of device is determined by the software, it shouldn't create a problem there.

It should delete all settings (LAN, S/N, etc.). It would be great if it deleted the calib offset. The S/N can be re-inserted via the SRLN command.

Maybe tautech could ask Siglent if this could be the way to go.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:29 am »
Maybe tautech could ask Siglent if this could be the way to go.
Mike wrote up the CC offset problem for me in detail last week which I forwarded to Siglent....still waiting for a reply.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2021, 03:30:05 pm »
I'll be providing an award!  :clap: You're the first guy that recreated part of my parser using many of my parsing messages, in Python!! (Have I told you that I hate Python? ? :)) I even had some doubts if I was looking at my parsing or another guy's parsing.  :-DD
Thank you ;D
The many examples of output from your script that you have posted was very helpful in figuring out how to parse the firmware. I used your formatting for easy comparison!

I don't think I have heard of your hate for Python before :-DD

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 06:24:04 pm »
No luck using the CLREEPROM command, CC offset still remains!!

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 08:55:17 pm »
No luck using the CLREEPROM command, CC offset still remains!!

Did you notice that anything else got reset?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »
Used the CLREEPROM command followed by the CALCLS 8 command hoping to clear the CC offset. The model and serial number were not reset, so not sure what was reset with the CLREEPROM command.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2021, 01:12:39 pm »
Mike, last call:

Send the command

FACTORY ON

before issuing the  CLREEPROM.

Report if it changed anything.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2021, 04:25:58 pm »
Tried the FACTORY ON, then the CLREEPROM, no change. Then tried FACTORY (mentioned in thread blurpy pointed to) and then CLREEPROM, no change.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2021, 01:49:44 pm »
Running out of ideas here. Curious to hear what Siglent has to say. It's probably fixable in firmware. Seems likely as mentioned earlier that it's an offset that's out of expected range, and the code doesn't handle it.

It could be that CLREEPROM either does nothing at all, or tries to call the code behind CALCLS which doesn't work.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2021, 02:20:09 pm »
Sure hope you are right, as I can't use this for the intended purpose at the moment as we need a very precise current limit at low currents.

Having this offset is just a recipe for a mistake and I'm reluctant to use it in this application, could easily damage some expensive ICs.

Hopefully Rob at tautech will get the factory "Secret Code" to reset this CC offset.

I know many pick on Rob because he is a Siglent distributor, but he goes well beyond the call of duty to help folks with Siglent equipment, even if they aren't in his hemisphere :-+

Tautech is the basic reason we've decided on Siglent equipment, and when a new requirement arrises we look to Siglent first, simply because we know the after sales support available thru tautech and we don't buy from tautech here is US, we buy from another excellent resource Saelig in NY.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2021, 03:42:05 pm »
I know many pick on Rob because he is a Siglent distributor, but he goes well beyond the call of duty to help folks with Siglent equipment, even if they aren't in his hemisphere :-+

tautech's support in this forum is bigger than the whole northern hemisphere combined!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2021, 04:06:16 pm »

tautech's support in this forum is bigger than the whole northern hemisphere combined!

:-DD

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2021, 05:20:22 pm »
Sure hope you are right, as I can't use this for the intended purpose at the moment as we need a very precise current limit at low currents.

Having this offset is just a recipe for a mistake and I'm reluctant to use it in this application, could easily damage some expensive ICs.

Hopefully Rob at tautech will get the factory "Secret Code" to reset this CC offset.
Just curious. Did you get this fixed yet?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2021, 09:11:56 pm »
@blurpy,

Not yet  :-\

Still waiting for a factory reply  :(

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline optotester

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2021, 11:30:27 am »
Any news regarding that issue ?

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2021, 12:27:50 pm »
No, we haven't received any response from the factory regarding this issue. Not happy with Siglent in this regard, would have at least expected a response of some kind, maybe not favorable, but at least a response.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2022, 01:37:24 pm »
I finally ended up liberating mine now, and it's working great! :-+

I was a bit worried since I read posts about people losing calibration, serial number, and the mac address in different attempts.
But I noted down the serial and mac just in case and went for it (using tv84s instructions).

From reading other experiences, SCPI should have returned the full resolution even before the upgrade, but it did not. Both before FACTORY ON, and after, it was only 10mA resolution. Perhaps they changed that in the latest firmware, which is where I upgraded from. The additional digit did display on the device and with SCPI after the upgrade, so I'm satisfied. It's really nice to have 1mA resolution on current measurement.

There are a few mV difference between "set" voltage and "read" voltage (like others have noted), but the "read" voltage agrees pretty well with my multimeter, so that's fine.

Offline jonas21

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2022, 03:14:25 pm »
It appears there is a new HW revision (6.0) of the SPD3303 which requires minimum the 3.10 firmware (V1.01.01.03.10).
As that the conversion is no longer possible with the old patched firmware - this would require 3.10 to be patched.

As the side note: according to the release notes the newest firmware (3.10) is not for older revisions of the SPD3303 as it requires HW 6.0+.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2022, 03:33:04 pm »
As that the conversion is no longer possible with the old patched firmware - this would require 3.10 to be patched.

Don't remember about what patch you're referring to. But, if you're talking about a conversion patch, you don't need any more patches. Once converted, you can flash the new stock FW.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2022, 06:19:19 pm »
2022/09/01 1.01.01.03.10 1. This firmware version only supports V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E

Notes:
A. V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E do
not support rolling back to the previous
firmware version
B. < V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E
do not support upgrading to this version

So at the moment new units can't be converted.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2022, 06:28:47 pm »
2022/09/01 1.01.01.03.10 1. This firmware version only supports V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E

Notes:
A. V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E do
not support rolling back to the previous
firmware version
B. < V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E

So at the moment new units can't be converted.
That's not how I interpret the latest FW as it's in relation to the latest HW changes and how they work with the FW.

Don't have stock for a week or 2 to check however I don't see it impacting on converting X-E to X.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2022, 06:35:01 pm »
That's not how I interpret the latest FW as it's in relation to the latest HW changes and how they work with the FW.

Don't have stock for a week or 2 to check however I don't see it impacting on converting X-E to X.
My interpretation is that new hardware units require new firmware, and will be bricked if downgraded by using the current conversion firmware. Do you think not?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2022, 06:47:31 pm »

My interpretation is that new hardware units require new firmware, and will be bricked if downgraded by using the current conversion firmware. Do you think not?
I think not.
Siglent firmware has popped up flags if attempted to be installed in the wrong HW.
The release notes claim:
do not support

This does NOT mean brick. The firmware will not be loaded and a HW incompatibility warning will be issued.
Siglent do not need to make more work for their Tech support.
You are overthinking this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2022, 06:54:52 pm »
Interesting, Siglent changed the productId.

SPD3303X used to be productId 64, now it's 70
SPD3303X-E used to be productId 65, now it's 71.

I think you are reading me wrong. I'm not claiming Siglent did not think of a way to stop devices being bricked. See what I just wrote, that's how they solved it.

I'm just pointing out that it won't be possible to use the current conversion firmware because the new hardware is unsupported.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2022, 06:56:29 pm »
I'm just pointing out that it won't be possible to use the current conversion firmware because the new hardware is unsupported.
You think. We'll see.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2022, 07:03:45 pm »
You think. We'll see.
Be sure to let us know how it goes, but making sure you are testing on a v6.1 hardware unit of course.

Offline jonas21

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2022, 07:45:13 pm »
FWIW: i tried to install 3.10 on my HW rev. 3.0 device - it didnt work, easypower will just say the firmware doesnt match the device (no matter if X or X-E). So atleast this way you cant brick it.
As this way is impossible, i expect a device with HW 6.x to also refuse a firmware lower than 3.1. So unless there is a "conversion firmware" with version 3.10 it will likely
not be possible to unlock it.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2022, 09:52:02 pm »
Gentlemen, I think this is what you are searching for.

Supposedly they allow the conversion of a X into X-E and a X-E into X, using the (almost) stock FW packages.

I take no responsibility on what you do with these files..

Only for V6.1 hardware version, as Siglent says!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:56:19 pm by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: rowant, boggis the cat, funhobby

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »
Any news regarding that issue ?

@blurpy and optotester

Must apologize for the seriously late response. We sent the SDP to Siglent NA and they corrected the problem and honored the warranty even tho we had "enabled" to an X from an X-E.

We just had to pay for shipping to Siglent NA, they even covered return shipping!!

So hat's off to Siglent NA (again, they helped long ago with potential DSO issue that was caused by spilled drink into the DSO  :palm: ), and another reason why they have become our preferred test equipment supplier, they've earned this :-+

Best,
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 01:51:01 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, CDN_Torsten, blurpy, Mr Purple

Offline WhiteSpin

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2022, 05:33:10 pm »
Thanks so much for providing this. Could anyone confirm that they successfully unlocked a siglent with the new hardware ID? Additionally it would be great to know if the 100mA offset remains as a problem with the new hardware&firmware. Thanks!

Offline funhobby

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2022, 09:27:18 pm »

Supposedly they allow the conversion of a X into X-E and a X-E into X, using the (almost) stock FW packages.

Works perfectly with the newest SPD3303X-E. Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: tv84, WhiteSpin, XerXes777

Offline XerXes777

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2023, 03:42:07 pm »

How i can use it?
Please give me short manuel.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2023, 06:58:03 pm »

How i can use it?
Please give me short manuel.
First go back to reply #1 and follow link offered then come back to last reply from tv84.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline XerXes777

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2023, 07:06:52 pm »
Please tell me the best way to get the update to 1.01.01.03.10 and to use the hack.
I can do an update to 1.01.01.03.10.
And then i can use the hack from:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-hi-resolution-output-unlock/msg4503400/#msg4503400
?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2023, 09:35:49 am »
Please tell me the best way to get the update to 1.01.01.03.10 and to use the hack.
I can do an update to 1.01.01.03.10.
And then i can use the hack from:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-hi-resolution-output-unlock/msg4503400/#msg4503400
?

(Attachment Link)

Yes, I would say that's the only way.

The following users thanked this post: XerXes777

Offline XerXes777

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2023, 11:21:57 am »
I have the hardware version 3.0 ?
see my picture https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-hi-resolution-output-unlock/msg4708385/#msg4708385

So i can not upgrade to 1.01.01.03.10 ?

in the changelog is the info:
this firmware version only supports V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E
Notes:
V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E do not support rolling back to the previous firmware version
< V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E
Released P20 version of EasyPower to match this firmware

what is the right conversion firmware for me?

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2023, 11:28:24 am »
I have the hardware version 3.0 ?

what is the right conversion firmware for me?
I also have version 3.0, and I used the previous conversion firmware, from before the talk of the new hardware.

The following users thanked this post: XerXes777

Offline Finity

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2023, 10:08:48 pm »
SPD3303XE owner

Two things,

1) Did hardware really go from 3.0 to 6.1? Any significant differences? (just out of curiosity, my 3.0 works fine)
2) Having a time installing the VISA drivers, cannot seem to get them installed in a way Win10 can recognize. Unit is connected by USB and on my lan with valid IP address, but not seen as a valid usb device by Win10 or responding to Easypower by lan.  :-// I would like to do resolution unlock but need to communicate with it first. |O

Any help would be appreciated!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2023, 02:17:29 am »
SPD3303XE owner

Two things,

1) Did hardware really go from 3.0 to 6.1? Any significant differences? (just out of curiosity, my 3.0 works fine)
Only internal for improved reliability or updates to more modern/better componentry.
2) Having a time installing the VISA drivers, cannot seem to get them installed in a way Win10 can recognize. Unit is connected by USB and on my lan with valid IP address, but not seen as a valid usb device by Win10 or responding to Easypower by lan. 
There is a bug in that these units do not correctly remember an assigned IP. We are waiting on a fix.
USB and EasyPower should work fine if VISA and EasyPower were installed before an attempt to connect via USB.
If not, Windows that always knows best  ::) will assign a USB driver to the device and continue to use it whenever it is connected. It's not the end of the world and in device properties or Device Manager we can assign the VISA driver permanently to the device so Windows plays nice at each connection.
See attachments for revised install guide from Siglent and a trouble shooting guide I wrote for this same issue with EasyScopeX.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Finity

Offline Finity

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2023, 04:18:29 pm »
Thanks TauTech.

No matter what I do, I still get the error in Win10 device manager that the "Device Descriptor Request Failed". My computer has the correct files installed according to your help file, but Windows does not recognize them as valid drivers. :-// I have done the USB troubleshooting with windows, does not help.

Wondering if there is something wrong with the unit, but most likely a user error on my part. Might have to send it in if I cannot get it to work with USB or lan

More help woudl be appreciated if anyone has any ideas. Currently reinstalling windows (old computer, probably needs it anyway). We will see if a fresh start helps.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 04:57:31 pm by Finity »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2023, 07:54:49 pm »
Thanks TauTech.

No matter what I do, I still get the error in Win10 device manager that the "Device Descriptor Request Failed". My computer has the correct files installed according to your help file, but Windows does not recognize them as valid drivers. :-// I have done the USB troubleshooting with windows, does not help.

Wondering if there is something wrong with the unit, but most likely a user error on my part. Might have to send it in if I cannot get it to work with USB or lan

More help woudl be appreciated if anyone has any ideas. Currently reinstalling windows (old computer, probably needs it anyway). We will see if a fresh start helps.
Hmmm, suspect your VISA install might not be valid/compatible.
Here's a EasyPower USB connection just done with FW 07R2. (W10 Pro 64bit)

Unless you need the full NIVISA package just install the much smaller NIVISA Runtime.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Finity

Offline Finity

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2023, 07:56:44 pm »
OK, spent too much time on the upgrade for hardware 3.0, but finally got it to work. Never was able to use USB, I could not get Win10 to recognize any USB drivers installed by NI_VISA 4.5,18.0 or 22.5.

In order to do the upgrade I had to reset the lan settings multiple times, and finally it was remembering the correct IP address. Then EasyPower was able to do a guided upgrade after pressing the knob on the unit while turning it on.

I have no idea what is going on with the VISA drivers for USB. It would be nice if Siglent would provide an official USB driver for these power supplies.

Anyway, I now have a successful upgrade and can control the unit via lan. The conversion software I used for Hardware 3.0 is located below. One of them converts X-E to X, the other is the converse.

Thanks for the help, tautec! :-+
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:28:56 am by Finity »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mjgillen

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2023, 12:03:55 am »
Is there a way to perform this hack using a Macintosh computer? I don't have a Windows computer or a Linux.

I just picked up a Siglent SPD3303X-E today and was hoping to do the hack if possible. From the VER screen:

status times: 1
software version 1.01.01.02.07R2
hardware version v3.0
product type SPD3303X-E

Thanks,
Michael

Offline mjgillen

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2023, 06:19:03 pm »
I managed to borrow a Windows PC.

1) Download and follow the "EasyPower Install Guide Revised" (post #79)
2) Download the NIVISA 5.4 runtime (this worked for me)
3) Download EasyPower from the Siglent website
4) Download the firmware files "SPD3303_X-E_X_Conversions_V1.zip" from post #83

I downloaded these on my Mac and put them on a USB stick as the Windows computer I borrowed was having issues so I did not want it connecting to my local network, disabled Wi-Fi

I put the USB stick into the Windows machine and:

5) Install NIVISA 5.4 runtime - reboot
6) Install EasyPower
7) Connect SPD3303X-E via USB cable
8) Launch EasyPower. Connect to the SPD3303X-E by clicking "Search and Connect" icon (top left), click "USBTMC", select the SPD3303X-E and click OPEN
9) Click Function->CmdControl
10) In the box with the arrow in it, type FACTORY ON and hit return or click Query
11) Click Cancel
12) Turn off/on the SPD3303X-E
13) In EasyPower, click Version (top right) then click Upgrade
14) Click "..." and find your firmware file, click UPGRADE

When it completes the SPD3303X-E automatically restarts itself and shows the upgraded screen with three digits in the V and A rows.

Hope this helps someone. I was quite lost as I haven't done Windows since XP.

Michael

Offline Martin_B

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2023, 09:30:17 am »
Unfortunately the unlock doesn't work for me.
Bought new SPD3303XE.
Software version 1.01.01.03.10
Hardware version 6.1

I use the update file from post #69

I followed the steps as in the previous post.
The message "The file does not match the device" appears during the update.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem could be?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:34:28 am by Martin_B »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2023, 10:24:24 am »
The message "The file does not match the device" appears during the update.

It seems that you should use the other file...

Offline Martin_B

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2023, 10:59:21 am »
No, same error with both files ...

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2023, 11:26:56 am »
No, same error with both files ...

Strange...   ???  Try reinstalling the stock FW.

Offline Martin_B

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2023, 11:50:19 am »
I had an old version of easypower.
Now it worked.
Sorry + Thanks al lot for the update files !!!

:-+

Offline vmiceli

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2023, 09:49:35 am »
Hello folks,

got a brand new SPD3303X-E that I wanted to mod with the 1mV/1mA X-E to X. I did use the file SPD3303X_V1.01.01.03.10_convert_from_X-E.ADS.

The device is :
Hardware Version: V6.1
Software version 1.01.01.03.11R1
Product Type: SPD3303X-E

I connected with EasyPower V100R001B01D01P20 (the latest on the Siglent website) and I have installed  NI-VISA 2023 Q3.
Did the FW "downgrade" from network connection and it worked just fine.

Thanks again!!

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2023, 11:15:37 pm »
I am having a good bit of trouble, trying to upgrade my SPS3303X-E TO X, using the instructions in post #84.
Warning: I am not really a computer person. The attempts listed are me just faking it, without really knowing what I am doing.

System Info

Setup
PSU connected to Computer via USB cord. Cord is several extensions strung together to make approximately 10 feet. This extension tests good for continuity on all four USB legs. The PSU USB indicator icon does illuminate.

Issues
My computer never sees the PSU in the Device Manager USB listings, even with NI-VISA and EasyPower up and running. I never get the happy USB connection bell chime, when plugging, or unplugging, the cable, or using different USB devices. However, I have used the USB com ports to flash Arduinos.

NI-VISA
- Version 2023 Q3 (Full Download/Install) The PSU never shows in the USB devices, so it can not be selected.
- Version 5.4.1 (Runtime Only) I am not sure that this version ever fully installs. It launches, but the VISA folder will not open. However, the readme file will open, from the Launcher.

EasyPower – The PSU never shows in the USB device listings, so it can not be selected.

Attempted Corrections
- Verified the cord is good. But, is it too long to push the data? I tried a shorter cord with other USB devices and still no joy.
- Tried different USB ports. No Joy. Verified the computer ports are working, by swapping the mouse cable around. The ports are good.
- Multiple Install-Delete-Reinstall attempts.
- Multiple attempts to get the Computer to see USB devices of different types.
- Checked various USB settings.
- Turned off power management on all USB buses.
- I did not find any instructions in the manual indicating that the PSU must be configured to output USB. Meaning, it is plug and play?

I really think its a Windows problem. But, I tried different things with NI-VISA, because I thought the USB connection might be okay, but that there was a problem with NI-VISA seeing it. Meaning, that EasyPower would not be able to see it through NI-VISA. There are too many variables for my limited knowledge to sort out.

Suggestions? Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 11:20:59 pm by t1d »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2023, 02:04:05 am »
I really think its a Windows problem.
It is.
I suspect it's installed a Windoze USB driver and not one from the NIVISA Runtime package.
The attached doc should point you in the right direction.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2023, 09:11:54 pm »
It is.
I suspect it's installed a Windoze USB driver and not one from the NIVISA Runtime package.
tautech, your the best. Thank you very much. I look forward to giving it a try, but I suspect that I will have more questions.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2023, 10:00:26 pm »
It is.
tautech, your the best. Thank you very much. I look forward to giving it a try, but I suspect that I will have more questions.
No worries.
It's a fairly simple fix once you have identified the USB port in Device manager and found where the NIVISA driver is. Just change driver and point it the the correct one.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ellisthegas

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2023, 05:59:10 pm »
I just upgraded my SPD3303X-E (H/W 6.1) to the SPD3303X, via the LAN.

Many thanks to those who made it possible.

E

Offline fnaumann

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2024, 06:56:13 pm »
I just upgraded my SPD3303X-E (H/W 6.1) to the SPD3303X, via the LAN.
I found only older ADS versions like SPD3303X-1.01.01.02.05_ConvertFromX-E.ADS in the forum, which does not work for me. Where do I got SPD3303X_V1.01.01.03.10_convert_from_X-E.ADS or newer?

Online C.J.S.

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2024, 10:11:11 pm »
Where do I get SPD3303X_V1.01.01.03.10_convert_from_X-E.ADS or newer?
Download the zip file that is attached to reply #68: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-hi-resolution-output-unlock/msg4503400/#msg4503400

The following users thanked this post: fnaumann

Offline PeZe

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2024, 08:50:26 pm »
Hi guys,

I have just received my Siglent 3303X-E and would like to "upgrade" to the X version.

Unit came with:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

My question is, has anyone had any success with the upgrade with the *03.10 FW conversion file on 6.2 HW? I have not seen any information about this revision here and as well I am wondering about 1.01.01.03.11R1 FW -> it is not mentioned or available for download on siglents website (latest is */03.10) do you know where to get it and what are the changes?

Offline sy

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2024, 08:19:17 am »
Hi guys,

I have just received my Siglent 3303X-E and would like to "upgrade" to the X version.

Unit came with:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

I have the same issue and can't find posts on this. No mention of firmware version 03.11 on the website. Have you since managed to upgrade?

Offline SAIT_Tim

« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2024, 12:53:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Unit came with:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

I have the same issue and can't find posts on this. No mention of firmware version 03.11 on the website. Have you since managed to upgrade?

I'd like to be able to do this as well if its possible - same 'latest' HW & FW versions...

Offline vskeevb

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2024, 01:55:31 am »
For what it's worth, my SPD3303X-E (HW V6.1) came with 1.01.01.03.11 installed and I "upgraded" it using the method described in this thread. I now have a SPD3303X but it's running 1.01.01.03.10 since I cannot locate 1.01.01.03.11 on Siglent's site.

I subsequently performed the calibration procedure described at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3303x(-e)-calibration-fw1-01-01-02-07r2-best-practice/ and verified the system was working as expected.

Admittedly, my unit is a HW V6.1 and not the later HW V6.2.

-VSK

Offline sy

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2024, 10:23:31 am »
Follow up from my previous post for:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

Downgrading to V1.01.01.03.10 then applying the hack works.  :-DD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2024, 04:14:46 pm »
I just bought myself one of these, and managed to upgrade it.

All working well except for the bone-headed design decision to NOT have the output binding posts spaced 19.05mm (3/4") apart...... dduuurrrrrr...... |O

Anyway, here's how I upgraded my hardware version v6.1 unit.

(Thanks to optotester for posting the Hex values to change)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Download and install NI Visa, making sure that 'NI-VISA .NET Runtime' is selected in the install options at a minimum (you don't need anything else to run the EasyPower software).
https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html

- Download the latest version of the firmware for the SPD3303X (NOT SPD3303X-E !!).
- Also download and install the latest version of EasyPower.
https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/

- Download and install HxD (or download and run the portable version)
https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20

- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyTools\EasyPower (or wherever you installed it) and cut/paste 'EasyPower.exe' to your desktop or My Files or somewhere so Windows won't block you from editing the file.
 - Rename the 'EasyPower.exe' in the 'Program Files' folder to 'EasyPowerOld.exe' as a backup.

- Run HxD and open the 'EasyPower.exe' you just copied.
  - Search for the string 0F BE 55 0C (Ctrl + F, then select 'Hex-Values tab, Search for '0F BE 55 0C', Search direction 'All')
  - Just before the found string on the same line, you'll see '0F 84 A4 00 00 00'
  - Replace the '84' with '85' so the string is now '0F 85 A4 00 00 00' (The 85 should be shown in red until you hit save)
     This will disable the hardware check in the software so it will just obediently flash whatever firmware you give it straight onto the PSU without confirming the model number matches first.
     This will allow us to force-feed it the SPD3303X firmware over the top of the SPD3303X-E firmware currently in the unit.
  - Save this file and move the modified .exe file back into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyTools\EasyPower

- Connect the PSU to your local LAN with an Ethernet cable, power it up and once it's booted press the IP/STORE button to find the IP address.
  * Alternatively you can connect directly to the PC using a USB cable and you don't need the IP address.
    (Only connect the USB cable AFTER installing the NI Visa drivers and EasyPower! Or you might end up with Windows causing driver conflicts)
    I used the LAN method so let us know how you go with USB.

- Run the EasyPower software and click on 'Version' in the top bar, then select 'Upgrade'
  - Leave the button set to 'Normal Mode' (Don't change it to 'Firmware Mode' or it'll bounce you back and tell you to select 'Normal Mode' anyway)
  - Select your SPD3303X firmware file then click 'Upgrade'
  - A window will pop up, select 'VXI11' and it will ask you for the IP address of the PSU.
  - Enter the IP address you found in the previous step and click 'OK'
  * If using a USB cable, select the USB option and click 'OK'. You won't need the IP address.

- Let it update and then close the EasyPower software only once instructed to do so.

- The PSU will reboot and it'll now be a fully functioning SPD3303X model!  8)

- You can check to see if the voltage setting has three digits after the decimal point and also press the <padlock>/Ver button to see that the Product Type now says 'SPD3303X'

Have fun.  ;D

Note, future firmware upgrades should be made using SPD3303X versions, NOT SPD3303X-E versions.
I believe there is no reason to use a modified EasyPower.exe for future firmware upgrades once the hack is complete, unless you actually want to downgrade (by flashing SPD3303X-E firmware back onto the PSU), say for warranty return purposes etc.

For all intents and purposes, your unit is a 100% SPD3303X model now in every way except the sticker on the front. :)

Also, if you want to run calibration, here's the way to do it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3303x(-e)-calibration-fw1-01-01-02-07r2-best-practice/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:46:19 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: empeka, KubaSO, ttssyy, RocketPenguin

Offline ttssyy

« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2024, 03:59:42 pm »
Before and after:

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, KubaSO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf