Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E  (Read 40081 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Siglent SPD3303X-E
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:22:29 pm »
I've just ordered one of these from Amazon (for $381 US shipped) after watching Dave's review, I thought the innards were OK for the price, the transformer is excellent and the display is nice too.  One reviewer on Amazon said "I have use[d] it now for one month and I have to say together with the updated Firmware this is a nice bit of kit". 

Can anyone tell me what the updated firmware does?  Have they implemented the suggestion that's here somewhere that they display the set voltage & current in small font and the actual voltage / current in large?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:36:54 pm »
Some YouTube user recently reported an issue on the older SPD3303C model:

Can someone on this forum who also has the older SPD3303C model test if this issue can be reproduced?

Can someone on this forum who has the newer SPD3303X-E model test if this issue can be reproduced?

This way we can check the folllowing:

1) Reported issue is a hardware problem in a faulty SPD3303C unit of the YouTube user

2) Reported issue is not a hardware problem, but a generic issue and flaw on all SPD3303C units

3) Reported issue is also present or can not be reproduced on the newer SPD3303X-E units
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:38:58 pm by pascal_sweden »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the updated firmware does?  Have they implemented the suggestion that's here somewhere that they display the set voltage & current in small font and the actual voltage / current in large?
Yep, there are some changes in recent FW.
This thread has a few pics, see the ones in the OP and one I posted in reply #17.
They used to have a screensaver with has now been dropped.  :phew:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-there-such-a-thing-as-a-lab-power-supply-with-a-decent-ui/

Depending how old the stock at Amazon is, it may come with the latest FW with is 2P03.
Member Defpom had one of mine for a bit and put it through its paces

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:21 am »
Thanks tautech, I will report back on the status of my SPD3303X-E when I get it; I'm hoping it's got the tighter banana posts and the updated firmware although I can always upgrade the firmware if it's older.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:20 am »
Thanks tautech, I will report back on the status of my SPD3303X-E when I get it; I'm hoping it's got the tighter banana posts and the updated firmware although I can always upgrade the firmware if it's older.
It should have, all the units I've handled did and AFAIK it was only the very first of them that didn't like the one in Daves teardown. To be clear; they now feel loose for the first few mm's but then they firm up good.

Defpoms vid is worth watching.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:25:05 pm »
Any update on the issue that I reported?

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:48:44 pm »
Some YouTube user recently reported an issue on the older SPD3303C model:

That guy doesnt know what he's taking about, he grounds the power supply by joining the positive and ground??, he doesnt show what the white lead is connected to?? Am I to believe that that effect is caused by static electriciy generated over and over by a short wire ?? Ha, it's either funny or ....

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:03 pm »
I also noticed that he grounded the terminal in the wrong way, when trying to avoid the issue.

But in the beginning he just touched the terminal with an open lead.

I agree that the video is probably not reliable, but it might be an easy thing to check, just in case,
for those SPD3303C and SPD3303X-E users out here :)

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »
But in the beginning he just touched the terminal with an open lead.

And whats on the other end of that lead? cause he doesnt show, could be anything. I bet it is his 110VAc mains

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
Yes, I see your point. But what if the other end of the lead is really open?

Formal checklist form for Siglent power supply users:

SPD3303C users:

What happens when touching one of the terminals with an open lead?

[ ] No change of the lights on the display front.
[ ] Change of the lights on the display front.

SPD3303X-E users:

What happens when touching one of the terminals with an open lead?

[ ] No change of the lights on the display front.
[ ] Change of the lights on the display front.

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline oewean

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 12:08:46 am »
No problem with static, tested on SPD3303C and SPD3303X.
Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:46:24 am »
Although it's been delivered, I won't catch up with my  SPD3303X-E until Friday (I'm travelling this week).  I looked at how to upgrade the firmware as that might be necessary - the quick start guide says to use the Easypower utility and browse to the file which the document says must end in .ugf but the latest firmware file I just downloaded from Siglent (vn 1.01.02.03) actually ends in .ads

Can anyone clarify?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:57:21 am »
Although it's been delivered, I won't catch up with my  SPD3303X-E until Friday (I'm travelling this week).  I looked at how to upgrade the firmware as that might be necessary - the quick start guide says to use the Easypower utility and browse to the file which the document says must end in .ugf but the latest firmware file I just downloaded from Siglent (vn 1.01.02.03) actually ends in .ads

Can anyone clarify?
Must be some sort of misprint.
Having done a few FW updates but only 1 SPD thus far, I just followed the instructions on how to setup Easypower (you need MS.NET and NIVISA) and IIRC you just point to the FW file location on your PC from within the Easypower UI and launch the update process. This was new to me but went smoothly.
Best you wait to check out just which FW is installed, you might not even need to install it.

I've got a couple of these units here so when the time comes I can walk you through it if needed.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
OK, it's bad enough that Siglent supplies only Windows software with their products, which is short-sighted and imposes unnecessary risks and expense to their customers, but If it's true that they're now requiring their customers to run Windows, even to update firmware, we will not be purchasing any more Siglent products.  Completely unacceptable!

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 01:01:35 pm »
I would say it the other way. Who doesn't have access to Windows these days? Even if it's an older computer with Windows XP.

Think about it! Maybe the problem is not with Siglent, but with yourself!

The following users thanked this post: Ellis_Beatty

Siglent America

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
You could use NI OS-X and then program your Siglent power supply with the usual SCPI commands.

As far as updating the FW, yes, the SPD3000X power supplies do require the use of the EasyPower software to do this but if you use an emulator program such Parallels then it should work just fine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 01:33:41 pm »
OK, it's bad enough that Siglent supplies only Windows software with their products, which is short-sighted and imposes unnecessary risks and expense to their customers, but If it's true that they're now requiring their customers to run Windows, even to update firmware, we will not be purchasing any more Siglent products.  Completely unacceptable!
Although I'm a Windoze guy (like 95% of the rest of the Galaxy), most Mac users I know run some kind of virtual PC software to run Windows applications - this became easier when Apple changed from proprietary hardware to x86 hardware.

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »
Thanks for your response and suggestions,  Siglent America.  I have great respect for Siglent hardware, and Siglent as a company.  Especially since the release of Windows 10, though, there are folks out there who find that MIcrosoft business tactics and licensing terms impose unnecessary risks and expenses to our businesses.  We are trying to eliminate any dependence on Microsoft products we possibly can.  Licensing management and software audits are expensive and time consuming.

Since there are plenty of other TE options out there that don't require Windows, we will choose to use them.  The SPD3000X doesn't happen to be a product of interest here, and Siglent probably doesn't care about the relatively small percentage of their potential customers who refuse to agree to Microsoft EULA terms, but I just want you to be aware that this will likely be a purchasing factor for at least some potential Siglent customers.

Though I probably understand why Siglent doesn't offer Linux/Mac applications, it's a show-stopper when even firmware upgrades depend on running Windows.  We simply don't purchase hardware anymore, that depends on Microsoft products for full functionality.

Yes we can, and have, run Windows on virtual machines, and they run very well on Linux.  Unfortunately, to do this legally still binds a business to Microsoft terms, and opens up the possibility of audits, etc.

By the way, we've been getting great use from the excellent SSA3000x instruments, which we've written our own applications for.  Love Siglent hardware and company, but wish you would reconsider the platforms you support.  (Don't worry, not holding my breath - we'll be fine either way.)

Thanks for your time and consideration!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 03:30:21 pm »
@Phs

IMHO, Siglent are just swimming with the tide.

A) you don't have to upgrade your firmware and
B) you don't have to buy Siglent.

@Siglent

Can you comment about .ugf vs .ads files?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:32:25 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Siglent America

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »
Thank you, phs.

We are trying to find the time to do some more things here in the North American office with Python, Excel, etc. We know that different people have different needs. One of our customers last week (He maintains AM radio stations) wanted an easier way to draw go/no-go masks for his multiple AM frequencies without having redraw them point by point. So we wrote him a script in Python and he is very happy with it.
The factory is going to add our script to the existing EasySpectrum software.

Although we can't promise to write a script for every customer that needs one, we do try to be as helpful as we can.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:04:22 pm by Siglent America »

The following users thanked this post: phs, shiftdelete

Siglent America

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 06:02:06 pm »
@Phs

@Siglent

Sure, what can I say about them?

Online pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
Yes we can, and have, run Windows on virtual machines, and they run very well on Linux.  Unfortunately, to do this legally still binds a business to Microsoft terms, and opens up the possibility of audits, etc.

What about using an older Windows version, such as Windows XP? Then you are not bound to these new Windows 10 licensing terms, isn't it?

There is still a very big percentage of active Windows XP users out there.
You can find the statistics online, if you don't believe me.

Do you really believe that your company is that important and that big, that Microsoft would even consider to do an audit?

You seem very paranoia! And you seem to forget that there are older Windows versions out there.

Which country are you from? You haven't listed this on your profile! Patagonia? :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:09:50 pm by pascal_sweden »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »
@Phs

@Siglent

Please see my post up this page a bit, the instructions for upgrading firmware using EasyPower say it HAS to be a .ugf file but when I downloaded the latest firmware from the Siglent web site, it was a .ads file.  Is the document wrong? Is the .ads file the right one?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:50 am »
@Phs

@Siglent

Please see my post up this page a bit, the instructions for upgrading firmware using EasyPower say it HAS to be a .ugf file but when I downloaded the latest firmware from the Siglent web site, it was a .ads file.  Is the document wrong? Is the .ads file the right one?
The Easypower FW upgrade window gives both .ugf and .ads file type options.
For giggles I booted it and captured the screenshot.

From the top menu item Version you select Upgrade to get the file selection box where when I clicked the ... (search for files) box it popped up the second box with the file I had selected last time I did a SPD FW update.  :)
Both file types appear to be supported.

From there on it was a doodle.  :)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:54 am »
Thanks Tautech :D

I'll be home tomorrow so I'll report back on what vn of Firmware I have, how the binding posts are, and make the test for static affecting the LEDs.

Ted

[EDIT1]
Well it arrived, the box looks like an Elephant sat on it sideways but the PSU was OK inside.  The binding posts are not loose, the software is Vn 1.01.01.02.02R2 (which does show the set voltage separately but not sure if it's the latest - I have a downloaded file that's named SPD3303X-E-Firmware-V100R001B01D02P03), and the Hardware is Vn 3.0.  I haven't tested for the static thing yet.

[EDIT2]
Tested for the static problem, I can't make it happen, seems like it is either fixed or it was just a problem with one unit.  I tested voltage and current accuracy and they are OK.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:48:38 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
I'm trying to update the firmware on my SPD3303X-E and I downloaded and installed EasyPower from the Siglent website; it runs up but as soon as I try to connect using USB or LAN, it crashes.

My Windows PC is Windows 10 64 bit - any ideas?

[Edit] I tried it using an old Laptop running XP SP3 and I get a similar problem, when I try to connect, it says 'failed to connect' seems both PCs may need a driver?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:51:07 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:40 pm »
I'm trying to update the firmware on my SPD3303X-E and I downloaded and installed EasyPower from the Siglent website; it runs up but as soon as I try to connect using USB or LAN, it crashes.

My Windows PC is Windows 10 64 bit - any ideas?

[Edit] I tried it using an old Laptop running XP SP3 and I get a similar problem, when I try to connect, it says 'failed to connect' seems both PCs may need a driver?
As mentioned in reply #12, MS .NET and NIVISA are required for LAN and USB connectivity.

Don't know about Win 10..........is there an inbuilt emulator for older versions ?
I'll point USA to you, they'll know.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 10:55:19 am »
Thanks tautech, USA sent me a PM yesterday and I sent them an email as requested, still haven't heard back from them.  I already searched for instructions on how to run install and run EasyPower, you'd think those would be in a readme file that downloads with EasyPower but it doesn't - I'm flying blind here.

So I downloaded and installed the NI VISA drivers (732 MBytes!) and ran EasyPower but it still failed to connect - found a NI IO Trace utility which I ran and it gave the indication that EasyPower was trying to connect (see picture).

So I searched for the .NET framework but that didn't seem to be installed so I downloaded Visiual Studio 2017 (I know I could have just done the framework), another 10 GBytes....

Ran EasyPower and it still doesn't work - I just get a 'failed to open device' message when I try to connect over the LAN (see picture).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:43:16 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
Thanks tautech, USA sent me a PM yesterday and I sent them an email as requested, still haven't heard back from them.  I'm downloading and installing the NI VISA drivers right now (732 MBytes!)
I don't think you'll hear from them till Monday now.

If USB connection is tried without the other supporting SW Windows will use a generic driver and it causes all sorts of mayhem until you point Windows to the correct one on the NIVISA package.
You should have better luck with LAN once everything that's needed is installed.

Replied to PM.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:47:05 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 02:51:45 pm »
OK, I got it all to work!

I found the CD that came with the SPD3303X-E and read the EasyPower Install Guide.pdf file on it; that document contains what look like hyperlinks but they don't work so I Googled "NI-VISA Run-Time Engine 5.4" and found this http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-run-time-engine-16.0/6188/en/ which I downloaded.  I first uninstalled the NI Suite that I had previously downloaded, rebooted, installed the 117 MByte file from the link above, rebooted, and then ran EasyPower which connected first try using LAN.

I was then able to use EasyPower to do the firmware upgrade; I had a bit of a scare in that I used Normal Mode and started to see a progress bar on the SPD3303X-E display but it got stuck at 1% and I was concerned it was broken :-BROKE

In the end I retried the upgrade (without cycling power on the SPD3303X-E) and it then told me I had to use Firmware Mode - once I switched over to Firmware Mode the update took about 30 seconds.

So, the EasyPower software does work over LAN with Windows 10, 64 Bit (with no compatibility mode set) but you need to select 'Firmware Mode' to perform the firmware update which I did using a .ads file.

Moral - RTFM!  :D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
OK, I got it all to work!

Moral - RTFM!  :D
:-DD

Does USB connectivity work now too ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 08:51:28 pm »
Anyone try running the Siglent software on Linux under Wine? Might be a solution for PHS.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 11:55:04 pm »
I'll try it tomorrow

[Edit] No, USB did not work; it crashed and hung EasyPower - this failure was on a USB 3.0 port and it may work on USB 2.0 but the cable wan't long enough to reach so I gave up. 

I'll use LAN as it's faster I think.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:08:35 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »
I'll try it tomorrow

[Edit] No, USB did not work; it crashed and hung EasyPower - this failure was on a USB 3.0 port and it may work on USB 2.0 but the cable wan't long enough to reach so I gave up. 

I'll use LAN as it's faster I think.
OK.
This normally happens when a device is USB connected before all the SW is installed. Windows decides it need use some USB driver and selects a generic one and locks it in as the one for that USB device.  ::)
How Win 10 does it I'm not sure but most of the earlier versions grab a generic driver.

It can normally be sorted in Device Manager by finding the USB port used and updating the driver with the NIVISA one. The driver is most likely this critter: ausbtmc.inf found in (drive):\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\IVI USB Staging
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »
i read somewhere that the spacing between the banana plug does follow the standard in that device. Due to that, the banana to BNC adapter won't fit.
Is that correct ?

Offline mspec

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 11:36:13 pm »
I got my SPD3303X-E from tautech and have yet to have a single issue for what I use it for. Is a nice bit of kit for the price in my opinion.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:41 am »
i read somewhere that the spacing between the banana plug does follow the standard in that device. Due to that, the banana to BNC adapter won't fit.
Is that correct ?

I don't have an adapter with male plug ends, but the spacing is slightly wider on all pairs of terminals of the PSU on mine, even though the spacing of the adapter matches the bench meter inputs.

Not really a problem for me, though, as I don't run power through BNCs, but I guess it could dissuade some.

I really, really like that the fan doesn't even turn on for low output... my previous PSU just went full blast with a noisy fan from power up.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 06:50:20 am »
Is that correct ?

I don't have an adapter with male plug ends, but the spacing is slightly wider on all pairs of terminals of the PSU on mine, even though the spacing of the adapter matches the bench meter inputs.

Not really a problem for me, though, as I don't run power through BNCs, but I guess it could dissuade some.

I really, really like that the fan doesn't even turn on for low output... my previous PSU just went full blast with a noisy fan from power up.
clearly a show stopper for me. Strange fail from siglent.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
Even if you can't use a 'standard' banana - BNC adapter, you can still make a lead with banana plugs on the end of a coax with a BNC on the other end.  That said, BNC is a terrible connector to feed power through IMHO.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 05:00:40 pm »
The one thing I can think of that would want power over a BNC would be the DC bias input for a VNA... but as you said, it's pretty easy to just run bananas to the PSU and have the adapter to the BNC on the BNC side, not the PSU side.  I guess theoretically the shielded BNC should pick up less EMI from the environment... but anything picked up is probably going to be a smaller magnitude than the supply's ripple spec.

I'm a big fan of mini hooks for power, and you've got the option of just running a piece of wire in there too, so the slightly larger spacing is actually nice just to get your fingers around the screw terminals easily.  I'm sure there are applications where it comes up with some frequency.... but mine aren't them.

If the banana jack spacing contributed to the cheap price I got on my basically new unit...  I guess I won't complain  ???

Offline scdreger

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:46 pm »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, Amazon had a great price and I jumped (maybe they still do, not sure). Anyway it's a huge upgrade from my modified Elenco kit power supply. I really love it.

I can report that the banana plug jacks are nice and snug. They must have fixed that issue. I'm not sure about the spacing thing as I have no need to run power over BNC.

My only wish was that it had a screensaver or screen dimming function. I'm afraid after a few years it will have burn in on that very nice looking screen.

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:45 pm »
i disagree. Modern linear PSU are really quiet.I tried several times to replace my doubly shielded LMR240 BNC cables with twisted pairs... big fail. I do power highly sensitive analog boards and the use of twisted cables just ruined the measurement. Never again.

The one thing I can think of that would want power over a BNC would be the DC bias input for a VNA... but as you said, it's pretty easy to just run bananas to the PSU and have the adapter to the BNC on the BNC side, not the PSU side.  I guess theoretically the shielded BNC should pick up less EMI from the environment... but anything picked up is probably going to be a smaller magnitude than the supply's ripple spec.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:29 pm »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, ..............

My only wish was that it had a screensaver or screen dimming function. I'm afraid after a few years it will have burn in on that very nice looking screen.
There was a screensaver in earlier FW but it's now been dropped in later FW versions.
AFAIK there's no problem with long term display degradation in the TFT's that Siglent use.

Do you need display dimming because it's too bright ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline scdreger

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:11 pm »
There was a screensaver in earlier FW but it's now been dropped in later FW versions.
AFAIK there's no problem with long term display degradation in the TFT's that Siglent use.

No, it's not too bright. I just wanted it for burn in protection. I was just kinda surprised because my Siglent scope and waveform gen both have screen savers where it goes black after a user-selectable amount of time. I assume to protect from burn in.

For example yesterday, I was working on something in the early afternoon and accidentally left it on for about 8 hours (outputs off, main unit on) ... it would just be a nice feature to have just incase.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »

No, it's not too bright. I just wanted it for burn in protection. I was just kinda surprised because my Siglent scope and waveform gen both have screen savers where it goes black after a user-selectable amount of time. I assume to protect from burn in.

For example yesterday, I was working on something in the early afternoon and accidentally left it on for about 8 hours (outputs off, main unit on) ... it would just be a nice feature to have just incase.
I think you worry unduly.

If there was to be any problem with TFT displays then Siglent would have not completely removed all screensaver functionality.

I remember a post by rf-loop (Finland Siglent distributor) about the TFT display but I can't find it ATM.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:05 am »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now, Amazon had a great price and I jumped (maybe they still do, not sure). Anyway it's a huge upgrade from my modified Elenco kit power supply. I really love it.

I can report that the banana plug jacks are nice and snug. They must have fixed that issue. I'm not sure about the spacing thing as I have no need to run power over BNC.

If you watch Dave's video on the SPD3303X, he gets quite frustrated that the screen saver kicks in while he's using the PSU on a long test; I think that was a major reason that Siglent took it out.

I own the SPD3303X-E and I prefer it not having a screen saver by default (gone in the latest firmware) but I had assumed that it was buried somewhere in the menus and could be switched back on.  If Siglent were to add it back in, simply dimming the LED backlight might be a useful option that would save the LED from burning out prematurely.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 01:24:44 pm »

If you watch Dave's video on the SPD3303X, he gets quite frustrated that the screen saver kicks in while he's using the PSU on a long test; I think that was a major reason that Siglent took it out.

I own the SPD3303X-E and I prefer it not having a screen saver by default (gone in the latest firmware) but I had assumed that it was buried somewhere in the menus and could be switched back on.  If Siglent were to add it back in, simply dimming the LED backlight might be a useful option that would save the LED from burning out prematurely.
The problem is not the LEDs going bad but the TFT screen itself. So what is needed is a non-static picture on the screen.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 04:42:55 pm »
But TFT burn in really isn't a thing... why would it be a concern?  A power supply readout would, in a lot of ways, be an ideal candidate to demonstrate burn in.... but I don't think normal LCD technology is very susceptible to it at all.  If it were a plasma screen or a CRT, sure, but an LCD is going to take what, thousands of hours to get any burn in?  And even then the burned in parts will be the static parts of the UI which will be harder to notice because they'll still be displayed there.

Though it's a different technology LCD screen, my RF generator has been on for 33,600 hours (almost entirely before I got it) and shows no signs of burn in, even though there is really only one menu shape that is displayed at all times.  My previous RF generator was the same way - tens of thousands of hours on and no burn in you could see when on or off.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:52 am »
The problem is not the LEDs going bad but the TFT screen itself. So what is needed is a non-static picture on the screen.
You are correct that LCDs can suffer from persistence with a fixed display so a screen saver would help avoid that.  However, back lights are now done with LEDs - typical life is 50,000 hours - that are running at high brightness, lower drive levels can extend their life.  An LED back light burning out would be a bigger issue than a bit of persistence IMHO (I had an LCD/LED TV that the back light went bad on).

So, both are problems that could be addresses by an option to dim the back light and/or move the display around.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »
Here's something I just noticed, running the 1.01.01.02.01R3 firmware, my SPD3303X-E turned off the display after some time being inactive (maybe 20 minutes).  Not sure if this is configurable, but it looks like burn in definitely isn't an issue if it's doing that.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »
Here's something I just noticed, running the 1.01.01.02.01R3 firmware, my SPD3303X-E turned off the display after some time being inactive (maybe 20 minutes).  Not sure if this is configurable, but it looks like burn in definitely isn't an issue if it's doing that.
In the latest FW the screensaver has been removed and it's listed as so in the changelog:
http://siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=5052&tid=15
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SPD3303X-E? The QSG has a limited set of SCPI commands in it, but I was wondering if the power supply supports a more comprehensive set of commands.

Any help appreciated.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:07 am »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SPD3303X-E? The QSG has a limited set of SCPI commands in it, but I was wondering if the power supply supports a more comprehensive set of commands.

Any help appreciated.

John
Not apparently.
The same set of commands in the Quick Start guide is listed in the User manual too and questions on this to the factory have only returned what you already know.
I'll post again if more info comes to light.

BTW, can you make a list of the remote functionality you'd like to see added into the command set.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
BTW, can you make a list of the remote functionality you'd like to see added into the command set.

It would be nice to have the following. It's not a huge problem, but they are common SCPI commands.

*RST
*CLR

And, can anything be done remotely on Chan 3 output? If so, what?

Finally, do they ever plan to fix the long response delay?

Thanks,
John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Siglent America

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 01:27:32 pm »

It would be nice to have the following. It's not a huge problem, but they are common SCPI commands.

*RST
*CLR

And, can anything be done remotely on Chan 3 output? If so, what?

Finally, do they ever plan to fix the long response delay?

Thanks,
John

Hello John G.
We did add a remote ON/OFF to Channel C a while back.

The only commands supported can be found on Page 28 of the Quick Start Guide.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/QuickStart/SPD3303X_QuickStart_QS0503X-E01B.pdf

They are
1. *IDN?
2. *SAV
3. *RCL
4. INSTrument Subsystem
5. MEASure Subsystem
6. CURRent Subsystem
7. VOLTage Subsystem
8. OUTPut Subsystem
9. TIMEr Subsystem
10. SYSTem Subsystem
11. IPaddr Subsystem
12. MASKaddr Subsystem
13. GATEaddr Subsystem
14. DHCP Subsystem

Information on each command starts on the next page of the guide.

The SPD's don't have much buffer space so we recommend starting with a wait state of at least 20 msec between commands.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:59:52 pm by Siglent America »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:40 am »
New firmware for the X and the X-E PSU's.

Version: v1.01.01.02.05
~680 KB
Be sure to pick the correct version as they are slightly different in KB size.

https://www.siglentamerica.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/#spd3303xx-e-series

Changelog
1.   Add Socket interface support.
2.   Repaired bug in the LAN interface function
3.   Restrict the total output voltage in the serial mode not to exceed 60V in order to satisfy the requirements of TUV.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline shiftdelete

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 01:38:50 am »
Thank you, phs.

We are trying to find the time to do some more things here in the North American office with Python, Excel, etc. We know that different people have different needs. One of our customers last week (He maintains AM radio stations) wanted an easier way to draw go/no-go masks for his multiple AM frequencies without having redraw them point by point. So we wrote him a script in Python and he is very happy with it.
The factory is going to add our script to the existing EasySpectrum software.

Although we can't promise to write a script for every customer that needs one, we do try to be as helpful as we can.
Thanks again.

It's quite refreshing to see a company like Siglent commit resources to helping customers with unique needs such as this. It speaks volumes to customer and product commitment.

In addition to the SDS 1202X-E I picked up a few months back, I just dropped an order for this PSU (SPD3303X-E) from Amazon.

A big thanks to this community for all these posts as well as Siglent for helping and being engaged.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:02 pm »
I'm deciding on an intelligent bench PSU.  This one seems to fit the bill with price and performance.  What are the alternatives, just to check out before I buy?  Looked at the Rigol DP832 but anything else worth looking for?

The use will be wide and varied! Experimentation/design stuff etc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2018, 10:41:39 pm »
I've managed to brick mine during a firmware upgrade; the Siglent Easypower software crashed on my Windows 10, 64 bit PC and left my SPD3303X-E stuck at 7% upgrade - now it won't power up, blank screen and all buttons lit up.

I've emailed Siglent and posted on their support forum.  Anyone know if there's a simple way to recover it?  I do have JTAG programmers so maybe there's a way to apply firmware via the JTAG connector?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2018, 06:20:22 am »
I've managed to brick mine during a firmware upgrade; the Siglent Easypower software crashed on my Windows 10, 64 bit PC and left my SPD3303X-E stuck at 7% upgrade - now it won't power up, blank screen and all buttons lit up.

I've emailed Siglent and posted on their support forum.  Anyone know if there's a simple way to recover it?  I do have JTAG programmers so maybe there's a way to apply firmware via the JTAG connector?
Please try this procedure from the Quick Start guide:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/QuickStart/SPD3303X_QuickStart_QS0503X-E01B.pdf

P25, Upgrade Via Guide Procedure.

The US Siglent guys have been asked to contact you.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:58 am »
Gandalf_Sr's reported in this post that the binding posts were not lose:
<snipped>

[EDIT1]
Well it arrived, the box looks like an Elephant sat on it sideways but the PSU was OK inside.  The binding posts are not loose, the software is Vn 1.01.01.02.02R2 (which does show the set voltage separately but not sure if it's the latest - I have a downloaded file that's named SPD3303X-E-Firmware-V100R001B01D02P03), and the Hardware is Vn 3.0.  I haven't tested for the static thing yet.

BUT further use identified problems with some banana plug configurations in the stock SPD3303X/X-E binding posts so he's offered a solution for those with problematic (short) banana plugs comprising of a simple modification to the binding posts to allow deeper insertion of a short plug.

Suggested solution and discussion here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e-binding-post-issues-solved/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:45:40 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:18 am »

Thanks, that worked, PSU is un-bricked... who knew the answer was in the manual? Not me ;D

[EDIT] The solution is, press the button while powering on and then the PSU enters a special firmware mode, the USB works and you can apply new firmware using easypower but you must select the "Firmware Mode" radio button when doing so.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:56:19 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 09:46:43 am »

Thanks, that worked, PSU is un-bricked... who knew the answer was in the manual? Not me ;D
We know !
You didn't read the update instructions, did you ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:54 am »
It's true that when I first got the SPD3303X-E, I thought the binding posts worked OK but after using it for several weeks, I found that certain banana plugs would drop out of the binding posts with the slightest movement of the cable, I also discovered that, if you use a spade connector, the binding post becomes almost unusable - the plugs won't grip at all.  The link Tautech has given is indeed my suggested, tried, and tested way to allow you to use what are clearly inferior banana plugs with the SPD3303X-E because the binding posts fitted to it cannot be improved upon because they are in fact, awsomely superb, expensive etc and Siglent is infallible.  This is the gospel according to Tautech.

C'mon Tautech, I haven't provided the data for that thread yet but I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken that there's no room for improvement regarding the choice of binding posts for the SPD3303X-E, I wasn't even the one who raised "the binding post issue" in the first place, others have made the observation prior to me.

Peace man and thanks for the help on de-bricking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:52 am »
We know !
You didn't read the update instructions, did you ?  :P
Guilty as charged but I have a plea of mitigation, I had eye surgery 1 week ago today.

Remember EEs, RTFM!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:40 am »
It's true that when I first got the SPD3303X-E, I thought the binding posts worked OK but after using it for several weeks, I found that certain banana plugs would drop out of the binding posts with the slightest movement of the cable, I also discovered that, if you use a spade connector, the binding post becomes almost unusable - the plugs won't grip at all.  The link Tautech has given is indeed my suggested, tried, and tested way to allow you to use what are clearly inferior banana plugs with the SPD3303X-E because the binding posts fitted to it cannot be improved upon because they are in fact, awsomely superb, expensive etc and Siglent is infallible.  This is the gospel according to Tautech.

C'mon Tautech, I haven't provided the data for that thread yet but I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken that there's no room for improvement regarding the choice of binding posts for the SPD3303X-E, I wasn't even the one who raised "the binding post issue" in the first place, others have made the observation prior to me.

Peace man and thanks for the help on de-bricking.
Not so Ted, not at all !

I'm only seeking quality info that can help Siglent improve products, nothing more !

Rob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:15:50 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
I can/will provide it but I need more time due to my bad eye.  I took some pictures yesterday but ran out of steam.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2018, 10:51:09 pm »
Got mine the other day... works great!  Minus the binding posts being a bit meh.  I'll be half tempted to mod them if they get really loose with usage but i dont usually pull those out either to often.. probly end up being lazy and just spade it up or get special males more suited to mate their post.

Got a bunch of Chinese knockoff males coming in to redo my speaker wiring.. wonder how well they will do with it.

Offline Frank_22

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:03 am »
I agree, this is a nice bit of kit, really. I bought mine here https://toolboom.com/en/dc-power-supply-siglent-spd3303x-e/. Rather reliable and stable operation. Where can I get the new firmware?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
I agree, this is a nice bit of kit, really. I bought mine here https://toolboom.com/en/dc-power-supply-siglent-spd3303x-e/. Rather reliable and stable operation. Where can I get the new firmware?
Here:
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/#spd3303xx-e-series

Be aware, you need have the EasyPower utility and the NIVISA support SW installed in order to upgrade the FW.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »

The following users thanked this post: plurn, kerouanton

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
I've just got a SPD3303X-E from Saelig, it is my first "precision" PSU but the accuracy is appalling. Measuring with a BM235.

In C.V. mode, aiming at 2V, 2A (putting a load doesn't make any difference in the voltage readings):
  • CH1: the PSU out shows 2.08V and the DMM reads 1.870V.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 1.96V and the DMM reads 1.784V.

With a load limited at 0.90A

• CH1: the PSU out shows 1.01A and the DMM reads 0.895A.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 1.00A and the DMM reads 0.894A.

The C.C. mode is not better. With a load, aiming at 2A, 2V:
  • CH1: the PSU out shows 2.00A, 1.52V and the DMM reads 1.889A, 1.200V.
  • CH2: the PSU out shows 2.00A, 1.46V and the DMM reads 1.898A, 1.201V

I'm using the latest firmware available, 1.01.01.02.05. The PSU came with a calibration certificate dated on July 2018.  The unit came configured for 220V, so I had to select the right voltage (120V) and replace the fuse that was included in the socket. I've also tried with a cheap old DMM just to make sure that the BM235 was not broken, and got the same results.

In www.siglentamerica.com they say that the accuracy is 0.5% both for voltage and current, but I'm getting around 10% error for voltage and around 5% error for current.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there anyway to calibrate the unit without RMA?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 08:01:37 am »
Where are you measuring from?  It measures from the ports directly, especially at high currents or with cheap cables you'll be getting significant voltage drop in the length of cable.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:05 am »
@kahuna0k
Can you get a voltage reading right at the binding posts using a fork terminal or a wire in the cross hole ?
Does that measurement agree with the display or the far end of your leads ?

I'm thinking a lead issue too but let's look a bit harder to be sure first.

Edit.
Handed to Siglent USA to supply answers/remedy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:13:19 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 09:35:15 am »
@kahuna0k
Can you get a voltage reading right at the binding posts using a fork terminal or a wire in the cross hole ?
Does that measurement agree with the display or the far end of your leads ?

I'm thinking a lead issue too but let's look a bit harder to be sure first.

I was using the included banana to clamp cables and the BM235 standard probes (clamping the probes). For connecting the load (that is one of those cheap eBay 180W loads), I was using a cable of about 20cms, clamped to the DMM probes and the banana to clamp clamped to the probes to. (Load - 20cms clamp -> probe <- clamp --- banana -> PSU) total length of all cables is probably under 1 meter.

Anyway, tried measuring directly on the PSU ports with the DMM probes and got the same result.

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
Ok, I'm checking the certificate of calibration and the Electronic Load used for calibration was past its calibration due date when used for calibrating my SPD3303X-E, nice and the technician stamped QA PASS and signed it :D I suppose that I will have to deal with RMA such a heavy thing to Saelig. I've been unable to find any info on how to calibrate it in the manual or navigating through the menus.

Siglent America

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Ok, I'm checking the certificate of calibration and the Electronic Load used for calibration was past its calibration due date when used for calibrating my SPD3303X-E, nice and the technician stamped QA PASS and signed it :D I suppose that I will have to deal with RMA such a heavy thing to Saelig. I've been unable to find any info on how to calibrate it in the manual or navigating through the menus.

PM Sent

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kahuna0k

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:50 pm »

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2019, 01:56:37 am »
PM Sent
PM and email sent
I'm curious, how long is the 3303 expected to stay in calibration, and what is the calibration procedure for output current and voltages?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
I just did a quick voltage check with a calibrated multimeter and all my outputs are within 0.5% so you must have a bad unit.

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2019, 04:21:36 am »
I just did a quick voltage check with a calibrated multimeter and all my outputs are within 0.5% so you must have a bad unit.
Doubt it's a bad unit - it's a matter of a millivolt/milliamp or two, it's just more noticeable when you convert from X-E to X so it'd be nice to be able to fine-tune the calibration (and maintain it in calibration later down the road too).

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:55 am »

Well, it was a bad unit after all - replaced.

The question remains: how does one calibrate the thing, ever?

Also, if the output is only good to 0.5%, then what's the use of having almost 4 (X-E) or 5 (X) digits for volts (and similarly for amps)? If the X and X-E are the same guts, then the X seems utterly pointless in this regard and even the X-E is pushing it for real accuracy and precision - so what am I missing here?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2019, 05:00:22 am »

Well, it was a bad unit after all - replaced.

The question remains: how does one calibrate the thing, ever?
I thought we'd shown you that.  ::)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/how-to-calibrate-siglent-spd1000x-spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-power-supplies/
Please study the info offered again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:50 am »
My question regarding accuracy, precision, and the utility of having 4 or 5 digits precision for a device that's only 0.5% accurate is what's immediately relevant.

Yes, you've shown me how to contact them - I was closing the loop on the how-to-calibration question. It remains an open question as to their methodology and whether they will ever make that information accessible - regardless, I'm not likely to be the conduit for their calibration how-to. Even if they do release that info re-calibration of this device is out of reach for most users without highly specialized equipment.

Offline gorillamotors

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »
What are the differences between the spd3303x and the x-e? The only thing I can tell by looking at Siglents website is the number of digital readouts. If that is the case why charge and extra $150 for that?

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 06:38:58 am »
What are the differences between the spd3303x and the x-e? The only thing I can tell by looking at Siglents website is the number of digital readouts. If that is the case why charge and extra $150 for that?
Because it's cheaper to make one model, flash and badge it accordingly, and sell it for a premium (or sell the upgrade for a premium). In this case, it appears the only difference is the firmware settings and the model of probes they include in the box.

See also the Burroughs mainframe one-wire upgrade and other apocrypha at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.folklore.computers/lZy6zvmxLjc/KyRpDU96TKMJ

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »
As a feature request I would suggest for  the SPD3303X to add the following feature:

If the current increases the limit, the constant current mode works. As a alternative option it would good to have the option that the output is disabled, if the current increases a limit.
Some competitor realized that years ago.

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
I have checked the Siglent SPD3303X under some condition:

Load at 12V - Step 0.0A to 0.5A:

Load at 12V - Step 0.0A to Short:
If the output is short-circuited, a peak current of almost 40A flows!

Load at 12V - Step Short to 0.0A:

Load at 12V - Step 0.5At to 2.5A:

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2020, 01:51:21 am »
Has anyone tried install the latest NI-VISA (19.5) for EasyPower or does it actually require the old 5.4 version mentioned in the manual? And if it does require 5.4, I'm wondering if it will work with the runtime vs the full installer?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2020, 02:07:12 am »
Has anyone tried install the latest NI-VISA (19.5) for EasyPower or does it actually require the old 5.4 version mentioned in the manual? And if it does require 5.4, I'm wondering if it will work with the runtime vs the full installer?
You only need the Runtime package and just for the USB/LAN connectivity/drivers.
At some 100+ MB instead of 500+ MB for the full NI-VISA package it's somewhat more attractive.

Just be sure to install NI_VISA Runtime before connecting with USB otherwise your OS might install its default USB drivers and then you need to dive into the OS and install the NI USB connectivity drivers.
Used to be a common mistake when you didn't RTFM but the instructions are clearer now.  :phew:

Sing out if you have trouble as I have a little .doc to help guide through getting the driver right file in the right place.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2020, 08:58:04 am »
sorry for necroposting but I couldn't find the main thread for the SPD3303X-E.

Does anybody have (or knows where I can find them) scope shots of voltage ramp-up upon turning on the outputs?
Just so I compare to mine to make sure that my unit is not misbehaving.

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2020, 04:37:03 am »
Does anybody have (or knows where I can find them) scope shots of voltage ramp-up upon turning on the outputs?
The slew rate of the output voltage is limited by the set current and the charge of the internal (2*470 ㎌)+external output capacitor.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2020, 05:28:37 am »
The slew rate of the output voltage is limited by the set current and the charge of the internal (2*470 ㎌)+external output capacitor.

you want me to do the math to confirm what I'm seeing on the scope?  ;D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2020, 05:35:44 am »
A screenshot is all we need then I can check against a PSU here.
Remember to tell us the PSU settings used.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2020, 06:54:55 am »
A screenshot is all we need then I can check against a PSU here.
Remember to tell us the PSU settings used.  ;)

I was only joking, his way is the right way to do this, I'm just being lazy.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Offline MustardMan

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »
My workplace had quite a large selection of cheap-and-nasty benchtop power supplies that over time (not that much time) failed one-by-one. When only two were left I cracked it with people continually wanting to replace them with the same useless garbage, and I started looking around for alternatives. I ended up purchasing a couple of the Siglent supplies to try out. Not only was I impressed, but so were the people that had once been so keen on the cheap crap!

I ended up purchasing two for my home workshop and several more for the workplace. Needless to say they are all going strong.

However, I do have a couple of observations/complaints. [1] how the device operates when in parallel mode, and [2] how 'wavedisplay' functions.

The first observation is that when the unit is in serial mode, the screen continues to display the individual channel output. Hence, a glance at the display when in serial mode gives the impression the voltage is only half of what is appearing on the outside two terminals (1- and 2+). Admittedly this is probably OK as a separate connection to channel 1 OR separate connection to channel 2 is actually what is seen on the display. One suggested way to mitigate any confusion might be to change the colours of the displayed channels (green/yellow) to a single colour (maybe orange?) whilst keeping the displayed information exactly the same as it is.

What is considerably more misleading (and falls into the area of a complaint) is when the unit is operated in parallel mode... the current available from either channel is now double what is shown on the display. My suggestion for rectifying that would be to double the width of one channel of the display (double up the horizontal pixels, keeping the displayed information the same) but double the value of the current display. The unit *knows* what mode it is in as the icon on the top left indicates what it is(!), so applying a "x2" to the current should not be a problem.

A further suggestion would be to make the serial/parallel icon in the top left corner a bit more prominent.

My final observation (note: not complaint) is the 'wavedisplay' function. Admittedly I don't use it much, but I have found it really handy when dealing with battery voltages or supplies that vary their current consumption as they are operating. It would be really useful if I could vary the time/division setting... and yes I know an oscilloscope would do a better job, but since the function is there (and I don't have to run more wires across an already crowded bench), such a facility would be quite useful.

Many thanks to Siglent for a great benchtop supply, and many thanks for listening to my rant...!

Cheers,

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2021, 07:44:34 am »
New firmware for SPD3303X and SPD3303X-E models.

Both are Version V1.01.01.02.07R2 so be sure to select the correct version for your model.
721 KB
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=27

Release notes
Add the OCP function (Long push the right arrow button (’→’) get into or exit OCP function).
Different font colors when the power is ON and OFF.
Some improvements about the USB’s stability.

NOTE
Firmware updates to SPD3303X and X-E models can only be accomplished via a PC and the EasyPower SW utility.
If installing EasyPower for LAN or USB connectivity please be sure to read the install instructions and carry out the complete install before connecting the PSU to a PC.
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/software/Power_Supply/EasyPower_1.01.01.18.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:16 pm »
Updated an X-E to X converted model to 1.01.01.02.07R2 (Using X firmware)

Initial upgrade attempt failed in 'normal' mode and update screen stuck at 0%, had to upgrade in 'firmware' mode.

(Apologies, I posted this elsewhere first, but then decided to put here instead)

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2021, 05:12:07 pm »
Anyone who have updated to the new firmware that can show what the changes are about?

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2021, 05:32:31 pm »
When a channel is off, the output voltage and current display is dimmed. It's more obvious in real life than in the photo.

Press the right arrow for a few seconds and an OCP setting appears. If output current goes over this setting at any time, the output is turned off.

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2021, 03:27:16 am »
Firmware: "SPD3303X_V1.01.01.02.07R2.ADS" (609352 bytes)

The firmware update was done using "SPD3000 series Firmware Update Instructions .pdf"
Installed: "NI-VISA 16.0", "EasyPower 1.01.01.18". USB connection.

Execution of point "6" causes the SPD3303X to reboot and the program writes about the impossibility of contacting SPD3303X.

Cannot be updated in "firmware" mode, the program only requires work in "normal" mode.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:31:17 am by Tjuurko »

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2021, 11:34:54 am »
The problem is solved: it was necessary to hold down the "Multi-function knob" before turning on the SPD3303X.

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2021, 04:08:36 am »
It is strange that it is not noted in the changes FW:
V1.01.01.02.05     USB\VID_0483&PID_7540
V1.01.01.02.07R2 USB\VID_F4EC&PID_1430

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2021, 02:59:05 am »

just because i picked up one of these today and went thru an install with the current NI Visa version 20.0. i'd say skip it and go for the 2013 5.4. I already have 20.0 for other apps and NI Visa is a mess to start off with.

I tried it with sandbox and 5.4 wouldn't install, so instead i just brought up a fresh win7x64 pro vmware player instance, installed 5.4 runtime and easy power and it worked, still horrific software though

I knew when i saw easy in the name of the software it'd be like this ;)

edit: I did manage to eventually get it working with 20.0 after a lot of reinstalling and resetting of my visa configs

cheers

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:41:09 pm by charliex »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2021, 06:11:18 pm »
I finally did the firmware upgrade. I was a bit skeptical since the instructions specify to use USB during the upgrade process, but I don't have a Windows computer so I need to use virtualbox. And I've had issues with USB in virtualbox before when trying to do firmware upgrades. But I gave it a go over the network instead, and it worked fine. So I don't see why the instructions are so specific about using USB.

Just leaving it here in case anyone else wonders if upgrades work over the network.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2021, 08:46:39 pm »
All SPD FW updates are installed using the EasyPower SW interface and EasyPower can connect via LAN or USB however it does need NIVISA Runtime installed for the LAN and USB drivers.
In some ways USB is simpler as there is no need to set an IP address when instead you just select the device in the list and connect.

The soon to be released SPS5000X series PSU's have an inbuilt webserver that while a IP address will need to be set there will be no further SW required for LAN drivers.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf