Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E  (Read 40074 times)

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
Ok, I'm checking the certificate of calibration and the Electronic Load used for calibration was past its calibration due date when used for calibrating my SPD3303X-E, nice and the technician stamped QA PASS and signed it :D I suppose that I will have to deal with RMA such a heavy thing to Saelig. I've been unable to find any info on how to calibrate it in the manual or navigating through the menus.

Siglent America

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Ok, I'm checking the certificate of calibration and the Electronic Load used for calibration was past its calibration due date when used for calibrating my SPD3303X-E, nice and the technician stamped QA PASS and signed it :D I suppose that I will have to deal with RMA such a heavy thing to Saelig. I've been unable to find any info on how to calibrate it in the manual or navigating through the menus.

PM Sent

The following users thanked this post: tautech, kahuna0k

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:50 pm »

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2019, 01:56:37 am »
PM Sent
PM and email sent
I'm curious, how long is the 3303 expected to stay in calibration, and what is the calibration procedure for output current and voltages?

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
I just did a quick voltage check with a calibrated multimeter and all my outputs are within 0.5% so you must have a bad unit.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2019, 04:21:36 am »
I just did a quick voltage check with a calibrated multimeter and all my outputs are within 0.5% so you must have a bad unit.
Doubt it's a bad unit - it's a matter of a millivolt/milliamp or two, it's just more noticeable when you convert from X-E to X so it'd be nice to be able to fine-tune the calibration (and maintain it in calibration later down the road too).

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:55 am »

Well, it was a bad unit after all - replaced.

The question remains: how does one calibrate the thing, ever?

Also, if the output is only good to 0.5%, then what's the use of having almost 4 (X-E) or 5 (X) digits for volts (and similarly for amps)? If the X and X-E are the same guts, then the X seems utterly pointless in this regard and even the X-E is pushing it for real accuracy and precision - so what am I missing here?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2019, 05:00:22 am »

Well, it was a bad unit after all - replaced.

The question remains: how does one calibrate the thing, ever?
I thought we'd shown you that.  ::)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/how-to-calibrate-siglent-spd1000x-spd3303x-spd3303x-e-series-power-supplies/
Please study the info offered again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:50 am »
My question regarding accuracy, precision, and the utility of having 4 or 5 digits precision for a device that's only 0.5% accurate is what's immediately relevant.

Yes, you've shown me how to contact them - I was closing the loop on the how-to-calibration question. It remains an open question as to their methodology and whether they will ever make that information accessible - regardless, I'm not likely to be the conduit for their calibration how-to. Even if they do release that info re-calibration of this device is out of reach for most users without highly specialized equipment.

Offline gorillamotors

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »
What are the differences between the spd3303x and the x-e? The only thing I can tell by looking at Siglents website is the number of digital readouts. If that is the case why charge and extra $150 for that?

Offline MartyMacGyver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2019, 06:38:58 am »
What are the differences between the spd3303x and the x-e? The only thing I can tell by looking at Siglents website is the number of digital readouts. If that is the case why charge and extra $150 for that?
Because it's cheaper to make one model, flash and badge it accordingly, and sell it for a premium (or sell the upgrade for a premium). In this case, it appears the only difference is the firmware settings and the model of probes they include in the box.

See also the Burroughs mainframe one-wire upgrade and other apocrypha at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.folklore.computers/lZy6zvmxLjc/KyRpDU96TKMJ

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »
As a feature request I would suggest for  the SPD3303X to add the following feature:

If the current increases the limit, the constant current mode works. As a alternative option it would good to have the option that the output is disabled, if the current increases a limit.
Some competitor realized that years ago.

Offline mrprecision

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
I have checked the Siglent SPD3303X under some condition:

Load at 12V - Step 0.0A to 0.5A:

Load at 12V - Step 0.0A to Short:
If the output is short-circuited, a peak current of almost 40A flows!

Load at 12V - Step Short to 0.0A:

Load at 12V - Step 0.5At to 2.5A:

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2020, 01:51:21 am »
Has anyone tried install the latest NI-VISA (19.5) for EasyPower or does it actually require the old 5.4 version mentioned in the manual? And if it does require 5.4, I'm wondering if it will work with the runtime vs the full installer?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2020, 02:07:12 am »
Has anyone tried install the latest NI-VISA (19.5) for EasyPower or does it actually require the old 5.4 version mentioned in the manual? And if it does require 5.4, I'm wondering if it will work with the runtime vs the full installer?
You only need the Runtime package and just for the USB/LAN connectivity/drivers.
At some 100+ MB instead of 500+ MB for the full NI-VISA package it's somewhat more attractive.

Just be sure to install NI_VISA Runtime before connecting with USB otherwise your OS might install its default USB drivers and then you need to dive into the OS and install the NI USB connectivity drivers.
Used to be a common mistake when you didn't RTFM but the instructions are clearer now.  :phew:

Sing out if you have trouble as I have a little .doc to help guide through getting the driver right file in the right place.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2020, 08:58:04 am »
sorry for necroposting but I couldn't find the main thread for the SPD3303X-E.

Does anybody have (or knows where I can find them) scope shots of voltage ramp-up upon turning on the outputs?
Just so I compare to mine to make sure that my unit is not misbehaving.

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2020, 04:37:03 am »
Does anybody have (or knows where I can find them) scope shots of voltage ramp-up upon turning on the outputs?
The slew rate of the output voltage is limited by the set current and the charge of the internal (2*470 ㎌)+external output capacitor.

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2020, 05:28:37 am »
The slew rate of the output voltage is limited by the set current and the charge of the internal (2*470 ㎌)+external output capacitor.

you want me to do the math to confirm what I'm seeing on the scope?  ;D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2020, 05:35:44 am »
A screenshot is all we need then I can check against a PSU here.
Remember to tell us the PSU settings used.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ctrlocti

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2020, 06:54:55 am »
A screenshot is all we need then I can check against a PSU here.
Remember to tell us the PSU settings used.  ;)

I was only joking, his way is the right way to do this, I'm just being lazy.

I'll post a pic in a bit.

Offline MustardMan

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »
My workplace had quite a large selection of cheap-and-nasty benchtop power supplies that over time (not that much time) failed one-by-one. When only two were left I cracked it with people continually wanting to replace them with the same useless garbage, and I started looking around for alternatives. I ended up purchasing a couple of the Siglent supplies to try out. Not only was I impressed, but so were the people that had once been so keen on the cheap crap!

I ended up purchasing two for my home workshop and several more for the workplace. Needless to say they are all going strong.

However, I do have a couple of observations/complaints. [1] how the device operates when in parallel mode, and [2] how 'wavedisplay' functions.

The first observation is that when the unit is in serial mode, the screen continues to display the individual channel output. Hence, a glance at the display when in serial mode gives the impression the voltage is only half of what is appearing on the outside two terminals (1- and 2+). Admittedly this is probably OK as a separate connection to channel 1 OR separate connection to channel 2 is actually what is seen on the display. One suggested way to mitigate any confusion might be to change the colours of the displayed channels (green/yellow) to a single colour (maybe orange?) whilst keeping the displayed information exactly the same as it is.

What is considerably more misleading (and falls into the area of a complaint) is when the unit is operated in parallel mode... the current available from either channel is now double what is shown on the display. My suggestion for rectifying that would be to double the width of one channel of the display (double up the horizontal pixels, keeping the displayed information the same) but double the value of the current display. The unit *knows* what mode it is in as the icon on the top left indicates what it is(!), so applying a "x2" to the current should not be a problem.

A further suggestion would be to make the serial/parallel icon in the top left corner a bit more prominent.

My final observation (note: not complaint) is the 'wavedisplay' function. Admittedly I don't use it much, but I have found it really handy when dealing with battery voltages or supplies that vary their current consumption as they are operating. It would be really useful if I could vary the time/division setting... and yes I know an oscilloscope would do a better job, but since the function is there (and I don't have to run more wires across an already crowded bench), such a facility would be quite useful.

Many thanks to Siglent for a great benchtop supply, and many thanks for listening to my rant...!

Cheers,

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2021, 07:44:34 am »
New firmware for SPD3303X and SPD3303X-E models.

Both are Version V1.01.01.02.07R2 so be sure to select the correct version for your model.
721 KB
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=27

Release notes
Add the OCP function (Long push the right arrow button (’→’) get into or exit OCP function).
Different font colors when the power is ON and OFF.
Some improvements about the USB’s stability.

NOTE
Firmware updates to SPD3303X and X-E models can only be accomplished via a PC and the EasyPower SW utility.
If installing EasyPower for LAN or USB connectivity please be sure to read the install instructions and carry out the complete install before connecting the PSU to a PC.
https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/software/Power_Supply/EasyPower_1.01.01.18.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:16 pm »
Updated an X-E to X converted model to 1.01.01.02.07R2 (Using X firmware)

Initial upgrade attempt failed in 'normal' mode and update screen stuck at 0%, had to upgrade in 'firmware' mode.

(Apologies, I posted this elsewhere first, but then decided to put here instead)

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2021, 05:12:07 pm »
Anyone who have updated to the new firmware that can show what the changes are about?

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2021, 05:32:31 pm »
When a channel is off, the output voltage and current display is dimmed. It's more obvious in real life than in the photo.

Press the right arrow for a few seconds and an OCP setting appears. If output current goes over this setting at any time, the output is turned off.

The following users thanked this post: blurpy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf