Poll

Siglent SPD3303X vs Rigol DP832 vs SPD3303X-E

Siglent SPD3303X
Rigol DP832
Siglent SPD3303X-E
None of the above

Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X vs Rigol DP832  (Read 11879 times)

Offline das_strobel

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X vs Rigol DP832
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 05:03:03 pm »
The Rigol can be converted up to a DP832A with a 'magic' USB drive and a single command, the thread on that is here. I checked calibration after converting mine to a DP832A and it was perfect.

Does this also add the LXI capability to the non-A version? This is a real differentiator to me, now that LabView can be had for 50$.

Btw a bit a higher price point, but maybe worth considering: At least in Germany you can get the Rohde & Schwarz NGE103 with all options for 946€ delivered.

Offline FuzzyOtter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 05:57:57 pm »
Does this also add the LXI capability to the non-A version?

The LXI capability option requires a license key on the DP832, but is a standard feature on the DP832A. I'm not sure if just doing the "DP832->DP832A" modification will unlock that feature automatically, but fear not, if you Google for "RigLOL", you'll find the key-generator that lets you enable all the options, including LAN/LXI, on the DP832 anyway.  :-+

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 06:42:14 pm »
The Rigol can be converted up to a DP832A with a 'magic' USB drive and a single command, the thread on that is here. I checked calibration after converting mine to a DP832A and it was perfect.

Does this also add the LXI capability to the non-A version? This is a real differentiator to me, now that LabView can be had for 50$.

Btw a bit a higher price point, but maybe worth considering: At least in Germany you can get the Rohde & Schwarz NGE103 with all options for 946€ delivered.
The simple answer is yes, you can add the LXI.

With Riglol you can add all the features for the DP832 except the fancy pie chart display; I'd been in that situation for a while then found the magic USB drive solution which, for me, made my DP832 into a DP832A.

There is no firmware difference between the DP832 and DP832A; the DP832A front bezel has some color coding that matches the colors of the pie chart and these are not a big deal, I'm thinking about using sharpie markers if I can find suitable colors.  I'm pretty sure that the magic USB route will give you all the functionality of the DP832A once you convince your DP832 that it's really an 'A' version but, even if that doesn't work, Riglol will.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline FuzzyOtter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 07:48:34 pm »
the DP832A front bezel has some color coding that matches the colors of the pie chart

Thinking about it, it probably wouldn't take much effort to 3D-print a few small pieces that would fit over each pair of binding posts for the DP832 to replicate this color coding. Maybe this will be my evening project. I only have blue and purple filament, could be an excuse to pick up a roll of yellow, too...

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 09:10:36 pm »
I did a quick check on the Rigol DP832 and saw a review of a dutch customer mentioning a 30uA current and +-50V AC potential between the posts and ground.

I had to check this for my Siglent SPD3303X-E, and it was 420mV AC (@10 Mohm), and maybe 0,0420 uA of current.

What does it mean? In the Netherlands (and I guess many more countries) one of the mains wire (neutral) is connected to earths ground. If there is capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary windings then that can be measured between earths ground and one or both of the outputs of a channel.

This is not a problem until earths ground is added somewhere to a circuit (scope or signal generator or just earthing). When it does it, the AC voltage can then give unexpected results. I know because I had to debug a situation with a supply of my own making (70V AC @ 10Mohm). It's those toroidal core transformers that are prone to these issues. Primary and secondary windings are then relatively close to each other. With those transformers it is better (and more expensive) to have some shielding between primary and secondary.

To be honest I'm glad the Siglent seems to be OK regulated down. There will alway be some coupling, but there's a difference between 70V AC and 420 mV AC.
Each post has its own degree of coupling (different secondary winding):

1) 420 mV
2) 258 mV
3) 108 mV
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:39:20 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 09:17:06 pm »
Did you check all the transformer taps on channels 1 and 2 ?
You might be able to identify them by their relays switching.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2019, 09:23:26 pm »
I did a capacitance measurement between the Siglent posts and GND, its 100 nF for each of them. So that is probably how they turn down the voltage (100nF @ 50hz = 32KOhm) and not using an expensive shielded transformer. But it is better than having a high AC voltage. The max current (uA) it can drive will however not be lowered by it. I cannot measure such low currents with my instruments, so I cannot provide info on that, maybe someone else can. (The capacitors may also have some unwanted side effects on their  own. But I cannot think of some right now).

It is something to keep in mind. Because this coupling can also interfere between circuits with different supplies (or channels of a single supply) that have capacitative coupling as well (no connection to earths ground is than even needed for that interference).

Edit:
Using the 32K as a current shunt, the calculated current would than be:
1) 13 uA
2) 8.1 uA
3) 3.4 uA
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:05:41 pm by HendriXML »
“I ‘d like to reincarnate as a dung beetle, ‘cause there’s nothing wrong with a shitty life, real misery comes from high expectations”

Offline HendriXML

• Super Contributor
    • KiCad-BOM-reporter
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2019, 09:26:10 pm »
Did you check all the transformer taps on channels 1 and 2 ?
You might be able to identify them by their relays switching.
My quick measurements where done outside the device.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:33:28 pm by HendriXML »

Offline Par3689Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 12:37:45 pm »
Thank you for sharing your experience Gandalf_Sr

One downside of Ch 3 on the Rigol is that Ch2 and Ch3 share the same ground but the Siglent is fully independent (I think).

In which scenario this can be problematic for Rigol PSU?

Connecting Siglent Ch 2 and Ch 3 in series does not have much advantage

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
Thank you for sharing your experience Gandalf_Sr

One downside of Ch 3 on the Rigol is that Ch2 and Ch3 share the same ground but the Siglent is fully independent (I think).

In which scenario this can be problematic for Rigol PSU?

Connecting Siglent Ch 2 and Ch 3 in series does not have much advantage
Scenarios where you need 3 separate floating power supplies are not doable with the Rigol setup.  I run a project right now that needs -12, +12, and +3.3V which I can do as long as I use Ch2 for the +12 and then link the +ve of Ch1 to the -ve of Ch2/3.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline rolfdegen

• Regular Contributor
    • Degenerator Synthesizer/Sampler
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 09:29:05 am »
Hello everybody

I had the Rigol DP831 and Siglent SPD3303X-E. Compared to the Siglent SPD3303X-E the operation and equipment of the Rigol DP831 is much better. But the loud fan in the Rigol is very disturbing. For this reason I decided to use the Siglent SPD3303X-E. The fan is very quiet.

Greetings from Germany. Rolf
Electronics developer

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:44 am »
Hello everybody

I had the Rigol DP831 and Siglent SPD3303X-E. Compared to the Siglent SPD3303X-E the operation and equipment of the Rigol DP831 is much better. But the loud fan in the Rigol is very disturbing. For this reason I decided to use the Siglent SPD3303X-E. The fan is very quiet.
When I replaced the fan in my DP832 I found out that the main reason for the noise is not the fan but the air inlet of the housing. This can be enhanced relatively easy. I showed details here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dp832-fan-replacement-2018/msg2612937/#msg2612937

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 12:28:42 pm »
Hi,

I don´t know what all this fuss is about that seemingly everyone is just interested in programmability of a supply.
I bet that for the vast majority of the useres the only things they need to ´program´ in their praxis are voltage and current.
For that a Siglent SPD3303C would suffice and it´d be a better value than the Xs and 832s.
If there´s demand you could program the 3303C via software also.
I´d rather buy two 3303Cs instead one X or 832.  :popcorn:

regards
Calvin

..... it builds character!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf