Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 626151 times)

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1050 on: June 02, 2020, 02:36:04 pm »
Hmm???

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1051 on: June 02, 2020, 02:36:56 pm »

BTW - is there an 'eject USB' option?? could not see anything & don't like pulling out USB if still mounted
Nope, no eject feature and a bit why I like drives with activity LED's.

Would be very easy to have a 'dismount' command linked to side menu button in File submenu - perhaps a suggestion to Siglent for next revision FW??

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1052 on: June 02, 2020, 02:43:58 pm »
Here is mine, some differences but similar

Yeah .. not bad

- I would have expected bigger differences - looks like the impediance matching on our SVA's must be very similar

- looking at tubularnut's plot - not sure what happened there - unexpected result  :(

- perhaps there is some more testing required - check to make sure you have all default parameters (my was whatever default set was) , I would also visually check the N connector to see if there is any 'crud' that got lodged inside

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1053 on: June 02, 2020, 02:48:38 pm »
No crud.

The only time I get screens like yours is when I enter into calibration wizard ...

999432-0

And after applying calibration ...

999434-1

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1054 on: June 02, 2020, 02:57:00 pm »
No crud.

The only time I get screens like yours is when I enter into calibration wizard ...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I havent run cal or anything on mine yet and dont think noreply has either

You may need to remove your calibration to get it to look like ours

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1055 on: June 02, 2020, 02:59:54 pm »
I've done a full factory reset, and still the same.

After calibration, all the charts are correct, short, open and load.

I had previously calibrated when it was just an SSA, with the Siglent reflection bridge, maybe it still remembers that?

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1056 on: June 02, 2020, 03:02:54 pm »
No crud.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Hmm..

Maybe something to do with the fact you tried or calibrated your device (i'm guessing) - I certainly did not touch anything to do with calibration as yet.

If unit had attempted calibration - would expect totally different result

The theory here (and that my theory - so could be wrong) is that if any attempt to calibrate - data is stored somewhere - and used in plot , if never calibrated - we have 'null' data - both same - so same results.

I guess the real test is to calibrate the SVA and then leave the N connector open - repeat test

Will try this soon and see if I get different result (I would expect it to be different)

Hope this make sense - if you are worried at the difference  :-\

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1057 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:05 pm »
Not worried at present.

I have played around with calibration quite a bit, on open port, various lengths of cables etc, and always get expected results after calibration.

We’ll see how it goes after you guys have calibrated, before I panic.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1058 on: June 02, 2020, 03:12:38 pm »
No crud.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
What do you see when you connect SHORT and OPEN calibration standards, after performing the calibration?  DOTs or ARCs?

Why measuring the calibration standards on a VNA results in arcs, not dots on a Smith Chart as most people expect:

https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/Support/FAQ/Why-do-I-not-see-a-dot-on-the-Smith-Chart-for-the-opens-and-shorts/

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1059 on: June 02, 2020, 03:16:09 pm »
BTW ...

Has anyone tried using a Wi-Fi dongle on USB - does this device support (existing driver in FW) any 5G dongles - or would we need to load our 'own' Linux driver to do this??

Also - anyone tried a mini USB hub - for simultaneous connection of  Wi-Fi, Flash memory and wireless keyboard devices?

Sometimes the USB port / driver will not support multiple channels - just wondering if the SVA is one of these  :(

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1060 on: June 02, 2020, 03:22:11 pm »
BTW ...

Has anyone tried using a Wi-Fi dongle on USB - does this device support (existing driver in FW) any 5G dongles - or would we need to load our 'own' Linux driver to do this??

Also - anyone tried a mini USB hub - for simultaneous connection of  Wi-Fi, Flash memory and wireless keyboard devices?

Sometimes the USB port / driver will not support multiple channels - just wondering if the SVA is one of these  :(

Dont recall seeing a wifi dongle ever deployed in anything other than the sds code base... answer would be maybe? But i dont recall seeing any hidden WIFI keying either... unlike the SDS2000X+ which actually has wifi as a hidden option

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1061 on: June 02, 2020, 03:22:41 pm »
No crud.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
What do you see when you connect SHORT and OPEN calibration standards, after performing the calibration?  DOTs or ARCs?

Why measuring the calibration standards on a VNA results in arcs, not dots on a Smith Chart as most people expect:

https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/Support/FAQ/Why-do-I-not-see-a-dot-on-the-Smith-Chart-for-the-opens-and-shorts/

I see DOTS.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1062 on: June 02, 2020, 03:32:41 pm »
No crud.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I see DOTS.
Maybe RF experts can jump in and shine some light about this issue.  We should see ARCs or DOTs?  I experimented with HP VNAs and having no money to buy the calibration standards, I tried to make a SOLT set, and manipulated the parameters that you enter into the VNA to get DOTs, but then I read about the ARCs posted by Kirkby... Then I got a decent N-connector SOLT kit and calibrated the VNA and I saw the ARCs, consistent with the report...

So... DOTs or ARCs?

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1063 on: June 02, 2020, 04:08:04 pm »
I have a sneaking suspicion that we are not done yet and do indeed need the SVA base firmware to full reflash with, this happens when trying to calibrate

[DEBUG] /home/share/qingyu.an/1032X/2.7/product_aladdin/drivers/hw_platform_access/zynq_common/zynq_ttc_pwm_driver.cpp Line:192 msg:::::::::::::::::::::::zynq_ttc_pwm_driver::start()
[DEBUG] /home/share/qingyu.an/1032X/2.7/product_aladdin/drivers/hw_platform_access/zynq_common/zynq_ttc_pwm_driver.cpp Line:208 msg:::::::::::::::::zynq_ttc_pwm_driver::stop()

[ 6060.503270] cdns-i2c e0004000.i2c: timeout waiting on completion
[ 6060.683256] cdns-i2c e0004000.i2c: timeout waiting on completion

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1064 on: June 02, 2020, 04:10:10 pm »
I have a sneaking suspicion that we are not done yet and do indeed need the SVA base firmware to full reflash with, this happens when trying to calibrate

[DEBUG] /home/share/qingyu.an/1032X/2.7/product_aladdin/drivers/hw_platform_access/zynq_common/zynq_ttc_pwm_driver.cpp Line:192 msg:::::::::::::::::::::::zynq_ttc_pwm_driver::start()
[DEBUG] /home/share/qingyu.an/1032X/2.7/product_aladdin/drivers/hw_platform_access/zynq_common/zynq_ttc_pwm_driver.cpp Line:208 msg:::::::::::::::::zynq_ttc_pwm_driver::stop()

Where are you seeing this, I'll check mine.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1065 on: June 02, 2020, 04:12:21 pm »

Where are you seeing this, I'll check mine.

Direct console access, all debug info is sent to con

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1066 on: June 02, 2020, 04:13:46 pm »
Ah, I can't see that then  :(

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1067 on: June 02, 2020, 04:29:06 pm »

I made a small header using 0.1 pin header and soldered some 22 awg directly to that, heat shrunk it and placed it under the metal cage itself so the cage keeps it pressed in then snaked the rest out the side to hang out by the bnc connectors

I'll be doing the same for my sds2k+.. because why not.. handy to have

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1068 on: June 02, 2020, 04:35:28 pm »

I made a small header using 0.1 pin header and soldered some 22 awg directly to that, heat shrunk it and placed it under the metal cage itself so the cage keeps it pressed in then snaked the rest out the side to hang out by the bnc connectors

I'll be doing the same for my sds2k+.. because why not.. handy to have

I'm not that brave to break the sacred seal. Yes I have seen how to get it off intact, but I have fat fingers.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1069 on: June 02, 2020, 04:36:17 pm »
There isnt any WIFI. But maybe there is support for a chipset used in a wifi dongle.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1070 on: June 02, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
Hmm, interesting.

At first I see DOTS after calibration on shorts and open.

Having saved my calibration to file, rebooting SVA, then reloading my saved file, I now see ARCS on short and open!

Maybe something is not being applied when it should be at calibration time? yes, I was hitting 'apply' at end of calibration.

999449-0

Could it be imply a bug?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:50:23 pm by tubularnut »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: June 02, 2020, 05:03:30 pm »
Hmm, interesting.

At first I see DOTS after calibration on shorts and open.

Having saved my calibration to file, rebooting SVA, then reloading my saved file, I now see ARCS on short and open!

Maybe something is not being applied when it should be at calibration time? yes, I was hitting 'apply' at end of calibration.

(Attachment Link)

Could it be imply a bug?

I wouldnt be surprised due to unattended use and we are just shooting semi blind at it

I'll try the file method.. i didnt do that and just left it to do its thing and now it looks like it dumped the cal on reboot

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1072 on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:48 pm »
I wouldnt be surprised due to unattended use and we are just shooting semi blind at it

I'll try the file method.. i didnt do that and just left it to do its thing and now it looks like it dumped the cal on reboot

It also seems to work if you save your settings after calibration as a preset, then use that preset at power on.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1073 on: June 02, 2020, 05:46:09 pm »
Yeah that seemed to have kicked it on, did a very crude short/open cal and this is a basic fm antenna   :clap:

Seems to be working and if we get ahold of the base code from a factory sva we are going to do a diff and find anything missing. Im wondering if it not keeping a default is due to not having the factory cals loaded but cant do that experiment till we get the full firmware load as from factory to pin point the missing bits / formatting

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1074 on: June 02, 2020, 07:20:00 pm »
No crud.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I see DOTS.
Maybe RF experts can jump in and shine some light about this issue.  We should see ARCs or DOTs?  I experimented with HP VNAs and having no money to buy the calibration standards, I tried to make a SOLT set, and manipulated the parameters that you enter into the VNA to get DOTs, but then I read about the ARCs posted by Kirkby... Then I got a decent N-connector SOLT kit and calibrated the VNA and I saw the ARCs, consistent with the report...

So... DOTs or ARCs?

Here we go:

The calibration process is just telling the instrument that the measurement file it has saved internally must match what you have currently attached to the port.
You measure the three standards, and it 'scales' the actual measurements so that they 'fit' the three 'reference measurement files' (or model) as closely as possible (solving three equations with three unknowns)
In VNA's (and in the SVA), the reference measurements (or a model of one, C0, C1, etc) will be precisely measured or calculated from real standards, and so physics determines that the open and the short cannot be perfect  - therefore they show arc's.

In you guys case, you do not have the reference measurement files for any of the listed cal kits - and you do not have a model either. The best you can do is adjust the delays in the User cal kit entries. And the SVA User cal kit doesn't have a reference file so it works - it just assumes perfect standards. Therefore you see dots.

Important thing to understand with VNA's, is that the calibration is just a way of relating aligning what you see on the screen to reality. Nowadays with the ability to use data files instead of models to define them, means that the standards do not need to be perfect as they did in the past. Essentially you can use anything as a standard nowadays, as long as you have an accurate reference measurement of it. In the past such an arbitrary standard would not fit the limited model that was used (the C0, C1 model). Model fitting introduced errors. Therefore they needed to use very accurately machined standards. Which is why they cost so much.

On the SVA to use a user cal kit properly - when you have the reference measurements or the model - then you need to do it on a PC. Ignore the on device cal, and just process the raw sweep data on the PC.
Otherwise you could do it on the device by working out the delays which provide the best fit - and you will get model fitting errors obviously. But if you do that over small frequency spans it will work. To do any of that you need measurements of your cal standards by someone with a VNA and a good cal kit, or you need a decent cal kit yourself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:25:23 pm by hendorog »

The following users thanked this post: Pieh0, tubularnut, TK, Elasia, TrAndy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf