Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 612031 times)

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1600 on: April 29, 2021, 07:11:53 pm »
The SSA3000+ will have different HostID according to installed FW. You can only used the fake update if you are currently on the compatible FW. Otherwise the HostID does not match and the upgrade is refused.

This info is incorrect. The Host ID of an equipment doesn't change.

I think you meant "Product ID", which is the info that is in the FW header.

Edit: see this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:13:52 pm by tv84 »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1601 on: April 29, 2021, 07:20:47 pm »
Yes. I meant ProductID. Sorry!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1602 on: April 29, 2021, 08:11:48 pm »
Backup script for V3.2.2.4.0 FW and up.

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1603 on: April 29, 2021, 08:39:47 pm »
Backup script for V3.2.2.4.0 FW and up.

That file has a different response.  the ssa beeps and reboots and comes back up.  no backup.  it all happens in about 20 seconds.
AC5QX

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: April 29, 2021, 08:44:10 pm »
 :( Let's wait for someone else to test. If he has the same behavior, I'll remove it.

You have v3.2.2.4.0, right?

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1605 on: April 29, 2021, 08:58:18 pm »
:( Let's wait for someone else to test. If he has the same behavior, I'll remove it.

You have v3.2.2.4.0, right?

Yes
SW1 3.2.2.4.0
There is also a number for SW2 if that is relevant.
AC5QX

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1606 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:13 pm »
BTW, you still have a SSA3000X+ or you did the crossflash to SVA?

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1607 on: April 29, 2021, 09:03:54 pm »
BTW, you still have a SSA3000X+ or you did the crossflash to SVA?

Havn't done anything yet.  just tried to run your telnet and backup ads on it.
AC5QX

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1608 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:05 pm »
Try to reflash the stock version 3.2.2.4.0 and tell us what happens. You shouldn't be able to do it.

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1609 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:37 pm »
Try to reflash the stock version 3.2.2.4.0 and tell us what happens. You shouldn't be able to do it.

Trying to update with factory firmware just did the same loading for 20-30 seconds then fall back to file manager window.
I tried the last ads file you attached on other flash drives and I think it was successful.
It did the loading screen for about 1.5minutes, then beeped and rebooted.  I have extra files now. mtd?.bin, firmdata0 and memdump.
when putting the flash drive back in pc it complained that it found errors and did a scan repair.

• Is this normal or should I be unmounting the drive some how from the ssa before removing some how ?
  • why did this file seem to work when I had already tried the last ones in the attached threads that others seemed to have luck on the 3.2.2.4.0 ?
  • what is the next stepped, confused because of the 3.2.2.4.0 change.  should I be following the post of telnet in and editing files, or just go strait to a cross flash ?

sorry if I am a bit thick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:20:53 pm by hostile »
AC5QX

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1610 on: April 29, 2021, 11:32:34 pm »
Trying to update with factory firmware just did the same loading for 20-30 seconds then fall back to file manager window.
I tried the last ads file you attached on other flash drives and I think it was successful.
It did the loading screen for about 1.5minutes, then beeped and rebooted.  I have extra files now. mtd?.bin, firmdata0 and memdump.

So, all went according to plan.  (It's the 2nd time I see these things working only at the 2nd try. Don't know why and I don't care.)

The stock FW is impossible to reflash (it's a feature), as you've witnessed, because of the ProdID change. ATM, only my 11411 .ADS files can be used in this specific equipment.

The "extra files" are the backup as intended. The "errors found" are not significant and Windows took care of them.

You can use the 11411 telnet .ADS and go for the crossflash.

Since you already have the Aladdin app, you only have to change the Prod ID to 11403 in order to be able to crossflash the SVA FW SVA1032X_V3.2.2.4.0. Good luck.

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1611 on: April 29, 2021, 11:52:17 pm »

So, all went according to plan.  (It's the 2nd time I see these things working only at the 2nd try. Don't know why and I don't care.)

The stock FW is impossible to reflash (it's a feature), as you've witnessed, because of the ProdID change. ATM, only my 11411 .ADS files can be used in this specific equipment.

The "extra files" are the backup as intended. The "errors found" are not significant and Windows took care of them.

Since you already have the Aladdin app, you only have to change the Prod ID to 11403 in order to be able to crossflash the SVA FW SVA1032X_V3.2.2.4.0. Good luck.

I don't get it, now the telnet ADS file works.  I have already tried these files and flash drives a dozen times.   :-//  sorry my post added little help for future people.
AC5QX

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1612 on: April 30, 2021, 12:20:19 am »

I don't get it, now the telnet ADS file works.  I have already tried these files and flash drives a dozen times.   :-//  sorry my post added little help for future people.

the 1411 telent ran.  was able to login, changed product ID to 11403, sync reboot. 
now tg is disabled, and shows ssa3021+ still in system info.
I can not get the ssa_1411 telnet or the sva_1410 telnet to run now.
AC5QX

Offline Martyy2k

« Reply #1613 on: April 30, 2021, 01:28:33 am »
I will follow in hopes you can get this sorted out. I am expecting my SA to arrive any day now... hopefully i will be able to learn how to do all this right and what causes this issue with your conversion. Can you tell me which FW it originally had and i'll compare when i get mine.

thx

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1614 on: April 30, 2021, 01:32:48 am »
I will follow in hopes you can get this sorted out. I am expecting my SA to arrive any day now... hopefully i will be able to learn how to do all this right and what causes this issue with your conversion. Can you tell me which FW it originally had and i'll compare when i get mine.

thx

Mine had the latest 3.2.2.4.0
not sure if the issue is related to my unit or if some how I am messing something up.  hopefully tv84 can get me sorted and shed some light.
AC5QX

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1615 on: April 30, 2021, 02:11:07 am »
The product ID defines the model of the product. When upgrading, the device will check if it's product ID matches with the one stored in the FW.
Occasionally a FW will increment the product ID of the device. This is to prevent a downgrade: you won't be able to run older FW upgrades anymore as the product ID changed.
They do this whenever a FW changes the file system, to prevent errors.
My assumption is that there are stock FW versions of the same revision with different product ID.
This explains why your original FW did not run the hacked telnet ADD, but after flashing the same version ADS it suddenly did.
The SVA models have different product ID. You changed yours as instructed by tv84. Now the FW updates made for SSA won't work anymore as the product ID don't match.
You need to flash the SVA firmware to finish the cross upgrade. Also, to gain telnet access again and hack all options open, you need to run a hacked telnet fake firmware upgrade with compatible product ID.
I think there is confusion due to varying product IDs on similar FW versions.
Try to flash one of the latest FW upgrad s for the SVA. It should work.
Then You should be able to run the fake telnet FW but note that it has to be the SVA flavour.
Finally, the model name is not changed by all of this! For it to change to SVA you need to edit another file - don't remember which.
Hope this helps.

The following users thanked this post: passedpawn

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1616 on: April 30, 2021, 09:21:13 am »
SIGLENT FIRMWARE FLASHING  (A STICKY)

(As explained by @Bicurico in the previous msg.)

• Every FW package is made with a specific Product ID as target.
  • Every Siglent equipment model, at a given time, has assigned a specific Product ID (lately this is mainly done using the NSP_config_upgrade_info.xml config file). See this old table for a list of Product IDs.
  • One can only flash a FW that has the same Product ID as the one that is currently assigned to the equipment.
  • Consequently, when one changes the Product ID assigned to the equipment, only the FW packages that match the newer Product ID will work.
  • This mechanism prevents flashing wrong FWs in the wrong equipments (at least accidentally).
  • When Siglent needs to do an upgrade that can't be rolled back, it changes the Product ID in the equipment. With this change all previous versions of FW for that equipment stop working. In this case, Siglent includes a new NSP_config_upgrade_info.xml file, in the FW package, that will overwrite the original one.
  • When we, intentionally, decide to do a crossflash we need to adjust the Product ID of the equipment. Alternatively, but more laborious, we could change the Product ID of all future FW packages that we needed to flash.

I hope this will allow everyone to think for themselves on how this process works and avoid many recurrent questions and missteps.

The following users thanked this post: Bicurico, passedpawn

Offline hostile

• Contributor
« Reply #1617 on: April 30, 2021, 03:57:22 pm »

thx

Mine had the latest 3.2.2.4.0
not sure if the issue is related to my unit or if some how I am messing something up.  hopefully tv84 can get me sorted and shed some light.

Woke up this morning after the cross flashed ssa/sva had been powered off for about 5 hours.  The same flash drive and sva_telnet.ads file I had tried to use dozen times before decided to work.  Not sure why, I had rebooted, unplugged, formatted usb sticks, and copied the files over a dozen times.  Seems it just needed to sleep a bit before it allowed me to run the new telnet.ads file.   I can only say, don’t give up and maybe leave it off for a while if yours ends up finicky.  Also we have tv84 to save the day if there is an issue.
AC5QX

The following users thanked this post: Martyy2k

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1618 on: April 30, 2021, 04:47:32 pm »
Sleeping over it and start over with a fresh head often makes all the difference!

Congratulations!

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1619 on: May 05, 2021, 06:03:06 pm »
After semi-random but careful mistakes SSA3021X Plus transformed to SVA1032X.
Thanks for all contributions from EEVblog members. Here is an attempt to summarize the process.

SSA3021X Plus (FW 3.2.2.4.0) to SVA1032X (FW 3.2.2.4.0) conversion steps

Prerequisites:If backup copy is not important, upgrade can be done much faster. However, backup is strongly recommended.

I) Initial backup of SSA3021X Plus

1. Turn on SSA, put USB stick with SSA3000X+_backup_11411.ADS in the front USB port on SSA
2. Navigate to USB directory, select *.ADS via File -> Open/Load and press Enter
3. Wait until device reboots itself, then turn off, eject USB flash and copy backup files to PC. Total backup size is ~483MB (in my case)

II) Telnet access for SSA3021X Plus & manual backup

1) Connect Ethernet cable to SSA3021X and network, configure IP (DHCP option recommended), note IP address.
2) Internal product ID should be 11411. Launch fake update SSA3000X+_telnet_11411.ADS from USB stick to start telnet. SSA hangs with update screen, that's normal.
3) Open telnet
   telnet <SSA IP address> 10101 (for example, Windows terminal Win+R, CMD works)
4) Backup main directories
   cd /
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/config /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-config
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-usr
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/vnacalikitdata /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-vnacalikitdata
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0 /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-firmdata0

5) Make files writeable
   mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent
and add telnet server startup line in file /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh:
   vi /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh
enter the following line exactly close to the end, just before line "/usr/bin/siglent/Aladdin &"
   /sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh -p 10101 &
6) finalise changes and reboot
   sync && reboot
After SSA reboots, telnet should be started automatically without fake update via USB.

III) Change ProductID to accept SVA FW

1) Open telnet
   telnet <SSA IP address> 10101 (for example, Windows terminal Win+R, CMD works)
2) edit /usr/bin/siglent/config/NSP_config_upgrade_info.xml to change ProductID:
replace
   <upgrade_static_id>11411</upgrade_static_id>
with
   <upgrade_static_id>11403</upgrade_static_id>
3) Finalise changes and reboot
   sync && reboot

IV) Update with Siglent stock firmware for SVA1032X 3.2.2.4.0 (cross-flash SSA -> SVA)

1) Internal product ID should be 11403. Install SVA1000X FW 3.2.2.4.0 firmware from USB. From now on, SSA becomes SVA. Internal product ID should be 11410.
2) Telnet is lost again. After reboot, launch fake update SVA1000X_telnet_11410.ADS from USB stick to start telnet. SVA hangs with update screen, that's normal.
3) Open telnet
   telnet <SVA IP address> 10101 (for example, Windows terminal Win+R, CMD works)
4) Make files writeable
   mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent
and add telnet server startup line in file /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh:
   vi /usr/bin/siglent/startup_app.sh
enter the following line exactly close to the end, just before line "/usr/bin/siglent/Aladdin &"
   /sbin/telnetd -l /bin/sh -p 10101 &
6) Finalise changes and reboot
   sync && reboot
After SVA reboots, telnet should be started automatically without fake update via USB.

Currently SVA has FW of 3.2.2.4.0, but does not have SW options and wide BW, TG is disabled. Model name is still "SSA3021X Plus". That's normal.

V) Enable full options on SVA

1) Open telnet
   telnet <SVA IP address> 10101 (for example, windows terminal Win+R, CMD works)
2) Backup main directories
   cd /
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SVA-backup
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/config /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SVA-config
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SVA-usr
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/vnacalikitdata /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SVA-vnacalikitdata
   cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0 /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SVA-firmdata0

3) Make files writeable
   mount -o remount,rw /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
   cd /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
In file NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml, erase <license> ... </license> part (including <license> </license> text).
   vi NSP_sn_bandwidth.xml
4) Modify the contents of NSP_trends_config_info.xml to match attached file
   vi NSP_trends_config_info.xml
5) Rename two files, one in another directory
   mv nsp_data_b1 nsp_data_b1x
   cd /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup
   mv nsp_data_b nsp_data_bx
6) Finalise changes and reboot
   sync && reboot

SVA1032X now has all options permanently enabled (including RT40 which does not work in this HW version). Model name is SVA1032X, serial number shows XXXX.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:27:18 pm by electr_peter »

The following users thanked this post: Short Circuit, MrQuan, Pieh0, kj7e, ian.rees, Safar, ch_scr, JNorton, luudee, bmjjr, passedpawn, eloso, alcor6502

Offline Martyy2k

« Reply #1620 on: May 07, 2021, 04:35:24 am »
Hi Folks, Okay i have received my SSA3021X plus, it has FW 3.2.2.4.0. So.... if i follow this guide, what would be a trap for a non linux guy?  I have no Linux savy people around so i am alone on that side of things.

Thats basically what worries me the most and dont wanna screw up.

any tips are appreciated.

All the best to you all

Marty

Offline Ghislain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1621 on: May 07, 2021, 07:22:34 am »
Marty, the safest thing to do in such case is to call upon the help of someone who is knowledgeable when it comes to working with Linux, the last thing you want to do is to mess up your brand new expensive piece of equipment!
But even in such case, be sure to have a detailed procedure at hand, there is a lot of information in here so it can be confusing, put everything together in a document so that the steps are clear.
The whole procedure is quite straight forward however requires editing of some files for which you need to know your way around with a linux editor (mostly vi).
Whatever you do, make sure to have a backup (if your procedure is complete it is one of the first steps), should you run into trouble, there are a lot of people around here that are willing to help :-)
Good luck  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Martyy2k

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1622 on: May 07, 2021, 08:49:59 am »
Marty,

I'll share this once again: https://files.fm/u/a3rnz873y

This allows a direct crossflashing from SSAX+ to SVA, assuming that the SSAX+ version is V3.2.2.4.0.

No previous modifications are required to the inside files!

If required, the after modifications are as usual (see point V in electr_peter's latest summary) .

PS: If it doesn't work 1st time, reboot and try a 2nd time...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:57:35 am by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: jemotrain, Kibabalu, bmjjr, Martyy2k

Offline Martyy2k

« Reply #1623 on: May 07, 2021, 03:21:54 pm »
Thank you TV84!  :-+

And a big thanks to members for their great time and patience for helping others. Your expertise is hugely appreciated! :-+ :clap:

Will let you all know when things have "Improved"!   8)

All the best to everyone.

Marty

The following users thanked this post: F64098

Offline samc

« Reply #1624 on: May 09, 2021, 12:45:54 pm »
Just wanted to post yet another huge thank-you to electr_peter for the summary of the current flashing process, and to tv84 and everyone else who has contributed to this :)

My SSA3021X Plus has also become an SVA1032; everything went flawlessly.  For what it's worth, mine did already have the SMA cable installed as far as I can tell; purchased in March, with a 2.x firmware (I didn't note down the specific version) installed out of the box.

Thanks all!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf