Author Topic: TDS724A Maximum Spec?  (Read 261 times)

Offline nicnac117Topic starter

• Contributor
TDS724A Maximum Spec?
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:31:59 pm »
I have searched here but to no avail for a n answer to the question . What is the max spec you can hack the 724A to . I know about the hack/upgrade that can be done on the 744..to 784 , but would i be right in thinking 500mehgs is as far as the 724 goes ?. Please advise if its known that the 724A can go to 1 gig .

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: TDS724A Maximum Spec?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 12:45:56 am »
The TDS782A is 1GHz 2-channel TDS700 series scope, so it is possible you may be able to do the hack to your TDS724A to get the extra bandwidth. I have never tried to verify this (Maybe I have a TDS724 in my collection, but I can't remember...)

Unfortunately I've never had a TDS782 scope on my bench so I don't know the pattern of resistors needed, but it wouldn't be hard to test, only 16 combinations! :D
You'll need to play with R1061, R1062, R1063 and R1064. They are on the acquisition board (bottom board) in the corner of the PCB over near the fan somewhere. If you are lucky, it'll be a board revision that has them accessible without removing the PCB. If not, I suggest soldering a DIP switch with thin wires so you can flick the switches (only with the scope turned off!) until the scope boots as a TDS782A.
If you are successful, let us know the sequence for future reference! :)
You will also have to remove one bandwidth-limiting capacitor per input too, I think they are C1266, C1267, C1268 and C1269, they are located near the hybrid input modules.

I'll have to physically check for the 700 series, but the 2-channel 500 and 600 series had less acquisition parts than the 4-channel models, so it is not possible to convert a 2-channel to a 4-channel (I tried with a 600 series scope, and it just doesn't recognise the upgrade). A 2-channel scope will always be a 2-channel scope...

Bear in mind that if you do perform the 1GHz hack on any of these scopes, they will only be calibrated to 500MHz, so they will not be calibrated in the top half of the frequency range, and the calibration process is not a simple task...... The scope will work to the full bandwidth

Unlocking options is really simple if you have GPIB communications to the scope though, so that can yield some nice features if you don't have them yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:47:29 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: nicnac117

Offline nicnac117Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: TDS724A Maximum Spec?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 09:39:55 am »
Thaqnks , That has answered my question . I didnt know that there was a higher spec,d 24 varient . with a bit of luck i might find out !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf