Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 626371 times)

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1100 on: June 04, 2020, 11:44:44 am »
My SSA/SVA looks completely different.

Did you have something connected to TG aka Port 1?

No both ports completly open. Also as I do a open or short cal it's very fast and I can't apply.
It looks like a hardware failure but I didn't think that I can send it for repair under waranty.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1101 on: June 04, 2020, 11:52:58 am »

No both ports completly open. Also as I do a open or short cal it's very fast and I can't apply.
It looks like a hardware failure but I didn't think that I can send it for repair under waranty.

Yeah... dont think that would fly  :scared:

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: June 04, 2020, 11:54:54 am »

Can you connect up your uart port then post the startup / debug output when you try?

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: June 04, 2020, 12:09:41 pm »
I have to open it up again but I was going to do that anyway to see if it is de cable from the TG to the main board. Been looking at the teardown video.

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: June 04, 2020, 04:28:57 pm »

Don't do anything 'rash'

Let’s think this through ...

1. Look at your 'output' - obviously its not what's expected - but pretend there is a DUT connected to 'port1' - what does the DUT need to be to give this output? Then work backwards - if there is no DUT connected - then what is likely to give this output? Remember your SVA can be used to fault find itself (al be it in a limited way - just from the display)

2. If the above is not conclusive - then the next best step is to perform a HW reset (from menu) and see what happens.
3. If no change, and you are not bothered too much about resetting your SVA, then 'rollback the FW' - clear the configuration files and restore from backup (if you made one)

I suspect the above should give you a big 'clue' at what could be causing this 'odd' result  :P

Report your findings if you can  :)

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1105 on: June 04, 2020, 07:32:58 pm »
I opend the machine and guess what? It is realy a hardware fault.

The following users thanked this post: Elasia

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: June 04, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »

LOL WTF!

Did you pull that one off and forget to put it back on? :P Or did they really short you the cable?

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:34 pm »

LOL WTF!

Did you pull that one off and forget to put it back on? :P Or did they really short you the cable?

It was the first time that I toke the metal cover off. Should I write to Siglent and ask for the cable? :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:44:55 pm by techneut »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: June 04, 2020, 08:04:41 pm »
Well... doubt we could just order those from siglent :P

Superbat does custom work or roll your own, nice people, easy to work with

https://www.rfsupplier.com/male-to-male-right-angle-sma-custom-rf-cable-assembly-for-rg316-cable_p6049.html

Anyone able to id the actual cable siglent is using? its pretty rigid compared to normal rg316

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: June 04, 2020, 08:14:31 pm »
fortunately I had something in my old project box

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: June 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm »
It clearly found its calling..... lol.. now thats luck

Yeah looks normal for uncalibrated now

Offline Pieh0

• Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: June 04, 2020, 09:25:50 pm »

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: June 04, 2020, 10:34:14 pm »

UNBELIAVABLE  |O

Would never think it was a 'human' assembly fault.

I had a great theory (it still might be valid for future calibration problems :P ) - but in this context - just IGNORE EVERYTHING suggested by me  :palm:

I guess Siglent never bothered to put a cable for a true SSA (to save a few pennies) - because it started its life as a SSA I presume.

Maybe an early manufacturing 'batch' - future SSA's were then made to be 'identical' - so they can simply load appropriate FW and 'Stickers' to ship out as either SSA or SVA

So, if internal connector was missing for SSA device - it’s NOT REALLY A FAULTY device and can't complain to Siglent.

There might be some logic in the missing cable - Siglent has a default 'security device' (missing cable) as a prevention for SVA crossflashing - you will need to break 'seal' to fix the problem and hence void your warranty   :P

If this is indeed the logic, (I doubt it)  they will not be successful here - since it won't take much to open the device - even if it’s working 100%   ;)

Good Luck

You can start enjoying your - soon to be working - new SVA  :clap:

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:36 pm »
Yeah thats why i pointed him at superbat, I'd bet if someone specd one of them if the need arises they would just repeat the order for anyone else

If it was just a matter of some falling off the back of a truck, i'd drive over to the NA HQ and beat on their door :P

Still though, anyone know what that blue tented semi rigid cable is?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1114 on: June 05, 2020, 12:26:43 am »
There might be some logic in the missing cable - Siglent has a default 'security device' (missing cable) as a prevention for SVA crossflashing - you will need to break 'seal' to fix the problem and hence void your warranty   :P
Broken seal does not void warranty in the US.  Actually it is illegal to put the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: June 05, 2020, 01:22:09 am »
Broken seal does not void warranty in the US.  Actually it is illegal to put the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker

That's interesting ...

Is this a Fedral law or State driven?

I guess it would be nice to check the UK legislation on 'warranty security stickers' - at least that's one hurdle gone from preventing you to 'take a look inside'  ;)

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1116 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:36 am »

That's interesting ...

Is this a Fedral law or State driven?

I guess it would be nice to check the UK legislation on 'warranty security stickers' - at least that's one hurdle gone from preventing you to 'take a look inside'  ;)
It Federal https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43724348#:~:text=Stickers%20on%20gadgets%20warning%20%22warranty,them%20about%20using%20misleading%20language.

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: June 05, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »
Yeah thats why i pointed him at superbat, I'd bet if someone specd one of them if the need arises they would just repeat the order for anyone else

If it was just a matter of some falling off the back of a truck, i'd drive over to the NA HQ and beat on their door :P

Still though, anyone know what that blue tented semi rigid cable is?

It looks a lot like the cable I put in and that is RG142

The following users thanked this post: Calvin

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: June 07, 2020, 05:11:26 pm »
Hello all

At the beginning I want to thank everyone for the huge amount of work and providing instructions on how to change SSA in SVA :)

I recently bought SSA3021X Plus (Firmware 2.2.1.2.5).
I would like to change SSA to SVA with 3.2GHz band and all options. I have read several topics in the forum and I am not sure which method is correct to activate VNA and all options without losing the serial number.
Currently I have telnet enabled and a copy of folders (backup and firmdata0) made. I also made a copy of nand memory with the dumpnand.sh script.

From what I understand, to upload the SVA firmware, you must make the changes described in the entry #963 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg3084766/#msg3084766

However, I'm not sure how to activate the VNA option and other options including the 3.2GHz band.

My question, what should the <license> </license> line look like in the NSP_system_info.xml file ?

Do they have to use the ecomb file with firmware v1.2.8.1 as in the SSA version without Plus to generate licenses without losing the serial number ? Should this be done differently for the Plus version ?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:19:50 pm by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline techneut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: June 07, 2020, 07:17:59 pm »
I was in doubt if I should post it here or in the post for the SVA but sinds the calibration is still a hot topic for the upgraded SSA I decided for this forum. If I was wrong then please move or delete this post.
I came along this post:
https://www.instructables.com/id/23GHz-SMA-Calibration-Kit/
I build it on a N-connector to see how good that was only to discover that the SVA showed a poor open. My ohmmeter confirmed 50 Ohms? After close up inspection I notisted that the pin was much tinner, probebly a 75 Ohm connector. :-X
I still think the site is good and I will try again when I have the right connectors.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:19:38 pm by techneut »

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: June 07, 2020, 09:31:38 pm »
I was in doubt if I should post it here or in the post for the SVA but sinds the calibration is still a hot topic for the upgraded SSA I decided for this forum. If I was wrong then please move or delete this post.
I came along this post:
https://www.instructables.com/id/23GHz-SMA-Calibration-Kit/
I build it on a N-connector to see how good that was only to discover that the SVA showed a poor open. My ohmmeter confirmed 50 Ohms? After close up inspection I notisted that the pin was much tinner, probebly a 75 Ohm connector. :-X
I still think the site is good and I will try again when I have the right connectors.

Making your own calibration set is possible, but you need to keep high precision here.
In the case of the N connector there are greater distances and it should be remembered that the cable connected to the resistor must have an impedance of 50ohm (impedance not resistance). In principle, the resistor should also be non-inductive.
However, by using very short connections and a small resistor, this condition can be omitted (Can be made with small SMA connectors)...

Therefore, such a set will be easier to make using SMA connectors and using the SMA to N adapter.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: June 08, 2020, 12:45:55 am »
I want to thank you very much for help tv84 :) Thanks to his help another SSA converted to SVA joined  :)

1001045-0

The following users thanked this post: Pieh0

Offline Pieh0

• Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: June 09, 2020, 08:39:02 pm »
Guess I didn't do something right with my mods, cause I don't have the serial number and I can see the options for the RTSA.

Still works though, so i'm not entirely too concerned :).

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:38 pm »
Guess I didn't do something right with my mods, cause I don't have the serial number and I can see the options for the RTSA.

Still works though, so i'm not entirely too concerned :).

Just means your in pro mode from not having the encrypted license file or corrupted one

Ideally what you want to do is remove the old one, then regenerate a blank one by sending your serial number into it via SCPI after the SVA conversion and then punch your keys in

If you decrypt and generate your keys for 3.2GHz + the ALL key then that is all you need

The crypto for the SSA/SVA line is not public... yet anyway, someone will probly end up releasing one within a year or two i'd imagine, they dont put much effort into their encryption methods

The following users thanked this post: Pieh0

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:49 pm »
I came across something useful for myself – at least a ‘hands free’ way of investigating circuit behaviour :)

My question is if something similar can be implemented (if not already) that can be used for SSA’s
– especially when matched impedances are required
– not to mention much higher frequencies than typical with MSO’s

It’s possible to fabricate a suitable cable with an appropriate termination at the SSA end

Can we do same at the probe end?

I guess it’s a matter of simply trying to see what the frequency response will be – using the SSA itself ??

We can create two cables terminated at the TG and SSA input using suitable N terminations
– then simply ‘tune’ the 'probe end' and if not perfectly flat response for the entire 3.2G span
– normalize it before use :-\

This should work I guess for TG sweeps … but if just ‘probing’ with SSA input alone will we have any problems??

Has anyone attempted something similar?

Any feedback welcome ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf