Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 626135 times)

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #2200 on: January 18, 2023, 08:10:28 am »
Somewhere in the beginning of this thread or the relevant hacking thread, you will find posts on the file I mean, how to edit it and how to enable RW to save the edited file.

Offline darekk13

« Reply #2201 on: January 18, 2023, 01:01:58 pm »
Hello, this is my first post.
I read everything (probably with understanding) and decided to act..
I have brand new SSA3021X Plus with firmare 3.2.2.5.0.
I followed the post #1619
1. Initial backup of SSA3021X Plus with SSA3000X+_backup_11411.ADS - OK.
2. Telnet access for SSA3021X Plus - OK
Backup main directories - not OK.

I wanted to understand your words properly, so I used chroma's built-in translator,
but the translator in the command lines was creating errors
from aryginal line:
"cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup"
after translation, I got an extra space in the destination directory:
"cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent /usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup".
Of course, I didn't notice it. With the help of ^c and ^v I sent these commands to SSA.
I received many error messages.
Most messages were of the type: "cp: can't create symlink ...",
and some: "cp: recursion detected, omitting directory..."

I don't have the entire log from putty  :(.
I checked bakckup and on the device that the following directories are empty:
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup and
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr.

I updated the firmware to 3.2.2.5.1R1
I restored the factory settings
This did not change anything.
I think I broke something.

Device seems to work well, what should I do next?
If some files are missing how to restore them?
In the end, of course, I want an SVA.

best regards
Darek

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2202 on: January 18, 2023, 06:55:07 pm »
Hello, this is my first post.
I read everything (probably with understanding) and decided to act..
I have brand new SSA3021X Plus with firmare 3.2.2.5.0.
I followed the post #1619
1. Initial backup of SSA3021X Plus with SSA3000X+_backup_11411.ADS - OK.
2. Telnet access for SSA3021X Plus - OK
Backup main directories - not OK.

I wanted to understand your words properly, so I used chroma's built-in translator,
but the translator in the command lines was creating errors
from aryginal line:
"cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup"
after translation, I got an extra space in the destination directory:
"cp -R /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup /usr/bin/siglent /usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup".
Of course, I didn't notice it. With the help of ^c and ^v I sent these commands to SSA.
I received many error messages.
Most messages were of the type: "cp: can't create symlink ...",
and some: "cp: recursion detected, omitting directory..."

I don't have the entire log from putty  :(.
I checked bakckup and on the device that the following directories are empty:
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup and
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr.

I updated the firmware to 3.2.2.5.1R1
I restored the factory settings
This did not change anything.
I think I broke something.

Device seems to work well, what should I do next?
If some files are missing how to restore them?
In the end, of course, I want an SVA.

best regards
Darek
Hello and welcome to the forum. My advice is for now to leave the device in original condition if it works well. The SSA to SVA conversion procedure is scattered all over the forum here. There is no clear sequence of actions written in one post. Everything is in pieces. Everyone has contributed something. I am therefore still waiting for a systematized solution for such a transformation. I'll even enlist the help of a programmer friend because I'm a hardware engineer. But provided someone comes along here who knows the steps for the respective software version. But one thing is certain. There are smart people here, professionals who understand their work.If I'm wrong, forgive me.

Offline DeDe

• Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: January 18, 2023, 08:29:00 pm »
Let's start with the good news :-)
On a new instrument the directories /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr (yes, twice usr) and /usr/bin/siglent/usr/backup are empty - at least on my instrument.

The syntax of the cp -R command is defined to enumerate the source directories first, separated by blanks, and the destination directory last.

But the directory /usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup does not exist, so the cp command should have shown an error "cp: usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup is not a directory" immediately...

Did you execute any other cp commands? Otherwise browse the directory structure and look for duplicate entries.

An updated checklist for the SVA crossflash can be found in the "Hack..it.." thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hack-of-sigllent-spectrum-analyzer-ssa3021x/msg4596574/#msg4596574
you could also replace steps (5) and (6) with a direct crossflash of an original SVA firmware customized with a HEX editor: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg4403962/#msg4403962

Here is the link to the Python key generator: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg4355635/#msg4355635

The following users thanked this post: ganevson, darekk13

Offline xugmu

• Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: January 19, 2023, 11:31:52 am »
I just saw a video where an ssa3000 is shown working on a computer screen and the truth is that it has been quite depressing. Does easy spectrum  always work like this or is this the exception that proves the rule?

The image is at the moment 44.15

https://youtu.be/VoefxhPKokU?t=2578

Best regards
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:06:30 pm by xugmu »

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #2205 on: January 19, 2023, 04:31:46 pm »
I just saw a video where an ssa3000 is shown working on a computer screen and the truth is that it has been quite depressing. Does easy spectrum  always work like this or is this the exception that proves the rule?

Best regards

Try this: https://vma-satellite.blogspot.com/2017/03/vma-simple-spectrum-analyser-for.html

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: xugmu

Offline raftronik

• Contributor
« Reply #2206 on: January 19, 2023, 06:11:08 pm »
But the directory /usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup does not exist, so the cp command should have shown an error "cp: usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/SA-backup is not a directory" immediately...

I tell about SAA3021X, I do not remember exactly because it was long time ago, but this path
usr/mass_storage/U-disk0  is path for pendrive, when you put pnedrive in USB it shows files in  U-disk0 folder, if no pendrive this is why show error.

At that time I listed all files in terminal window, I have it in a text file about 1,7MB if anyone interested.
Sorry if my english is not very good.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2207 on: January 19, 2023, 06:46:29 pm »

Best regards
As the model Tony has is SSA3021X Plus he is using the inbuilt webserver NOT EasySpectrum and PC display latency might be from a # of things, not excluding his PC or LAN.
Only the Plus models have the webserver.

Tony is a member here, send him a PM with links back to here.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DeDe

• Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: January 19, 2023, 07:28:11 pm »
The SSA3021X Plus starts a VNC-Server (/usr/bin/siglent/vncserver) on port 5900 and presents it through a Webserver (/usr/sbin/lighttpd).

For me, it definitely feels snappy but not super fast. Looks like about 5-6 updates per second.
You can also connect directly via a VNC viewer on port 5900 but that doesn't change the update rate.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2209 on: January 22, 2023, 04:45:00 am »
Thanks for the support. I will order a chip from Aliexpress. In my country I did not find. I have no intention of writing to Siglent to have them sent to me. I probably won't answer. Hot air is like a mother tongue to me. I have dozens of refurbished video cards and thousands of phones in my life. I could make a video but there is already one on YouTube. My SA is SSA3021XP
:-+

There are other threads here on RF input damage/repair including one from the Asian chap that did the video near the end of the thread linked above. If I get some time I'll try to find it again and link it here.
Had a moment to hunt the worthy ones out:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/blown-frontend-of-a-siglent-ssa3021x-plus/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/siglent-ssa3021x-input-protection-diode/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fixing-the-rf-front-end-of-a-spectrum-analyzer/

Note, there might be some HW differences between models and possibly unpopulated PCB footprints. Best advice is to repair like with like without modification.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2210 on: January 23, 2023, 08:41:03 pm »
Hello
After successfully repairing the RF input, I want to compare the TG at low frequencies. Can someone take a screenshot of mine?
I think in the area around 9khz it should straighten the line to -20dbm.
I checked the RF input with an external tracking generator and the line becomes horizontal after 9khz. And with the built-in generator, this is what is obtained in the picture.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:45:58 pm by ganevson »

Offline DeDe

• Contributor
« Reply #2211 on: January 23, 2023, 08:58:55 pm »
Looks similar on my instrument - maybe the dip between 0-5kHz is a little bit lower..

The following users thanked this post: ganevson

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2212 on: January 23, 2023, 10:44:37 pm »
Looks similar on my instrument - maybe the dip between 0-5kHz is a little bit lower..

Thanks DeDe for the quick reply. So this is the normal operation of the tracking generator. Drops from 0-5khz is not fatal. It is a radio instrument after all.
And for everyone's peace of mind, after replacing the input RF chip, no calibration is required. It is important to apply low temperature solder before mounting the new chip. This will make it easier and safer to install it.

Offline explozz

« Reply #2213 on: January 24, 2023, 04:17:06 pm »
Hello
After successfully repairing the RF input, I want to compare the TG at low frequencies. Can someone take a screenshot of mine?
I think in the area around 9khz it should straighten the line to -20dbm.
I checked the RF input with an external tracking generator and the line becomes horizontal after 9khz. And with the built-in generator, this is what is obtained in the picture.

I didn't follow the whole discussion, but you should know that the instrument specifications start at 9 kHz. So it's normal that the line is not horizontal.

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2214 on: January 24, 2023, 05:57:54 pm »

I didn't follow the whole discussion, but you should know that the instrument specifications start at 9 kHz. So it's normal that the line is not horizontal.

to that comes the fact, that the range for the tracking generator output is specified from 100 KHz to 3.2 GHz, only.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2215 on: January 24, 2023, 06:38:33 pm »
We also get a similar response.

Here's a result using a AWG Noise Source (SDG6000X) as an input, rather than the built-in Tracking Generator, our AWG is known to be flat well below 1Hz. The SA response is flat down to ~10KHz, is ~4.3dB down at 5KHz, and ~27.4dB down at 1KHz. This High Pass characteristic intersects the SA internal effective 1/f noise at 467Hz and the result begins to rise below because the SA internal generated noise dominates.

The -3dB High Pass corner is ~6KHz.

This response is indicative of what the basic SA can accomplish without influence from the TG limitations.

IMHO this is splendid performance for a SA in this price category :-+

Best,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:59:14 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2216 on: January 24, 2023, 07:21:19 pm »

IMHO this is splendid performance for a SA in this price category :-+

Convert it to a SVA and be prepared for a further very pleasant experience.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: January 24, 2023, 07:38:56 pm »
Did the SVA conversion soon after acquiring  ;)

Here's an example of doing an IMD test at 10KHz, one might not generally consider using a SA at this low a frequency.

Included an FFT plot from DSO showing same IMD signal with included 10dB Input Pad, you can "see" the DSO is limiting the performance as the AWG is at least as good as shown by SA.

Best,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:19:28 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Johnny B Good, Bad_Driver

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2218 on: January 31, 2023, 10:14:52 pm »
Today I repaired my SSA3021XP for the second time. The repair was much easier than the first time because I already had experience and I used low temperature solder.
I also added the missing input diodes. PIN diodes marked G and two zener diodes BZX384-C24 c low capacitance about 55pf marked DJ.
I did not put capacitors. I did a test after the add-on and the analyzer works like new. Unfortunately the signal generator gives me an output amplitude of only up to 16dbm at 2.2Ghz. There is no attenuation of the signal at the end of the range in the high frequencies. I was worried that there would be attenuation after they unblock the PIN diodes at a higher level and the signal meets the 55pf capacitance of the zeners. PIN diodes and zeners are connected in series in pairs.
I recommend adding these missing items.
I don't intend to feed the input any more levels above 10dbm. I will actively use attenuators and homemade DC blockers with additional ESD diodes designed for different frequency ranges.
Especially for young users - watch the input of the analyzer as if you were in front of the microphone at the end of which there is a 10kw amplifier amplified to the limit. Careful with attenuators and DC blockers when exploring unknown "worlds".
The photos were taken after the successful second repair of the analyzer.

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2219 on: January 31, 2023, 10:51:17 pm »
only because Mouser is offering volume discounts on parts you don't need to replace the frontend every day ! 😉
Have mercy with the PCB.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: January 31, 2023, 10:57:11 pm »
Today I repaired my SSA3021XP for the second time. The repair was much easier than the first time because I already had experience and I used low temperature solder.

Wow...
You have a talent...  :clap: Damage the input of the spectrum analyzer twice is already a high level of talent  :-DD

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline ganevson

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2221 on: February 01, 2023, 05:48:26 am »

Wow...
You have a talent...  :clap: Damage the input of the spectrum analyzer twice is already a high level of talent  :-DD
Do not worry. That's how we get better. Twice in two weeks. New WR😁
I wonder what will happen next week...
only because Mouser is offering volume discounts on parts you don't need to replace the frontend every day ! 😉
Have mercy with the PCB.

The board is incredibly strong and I no longer use a preheater but only hot air around 340C°. A few seconds of work.
I hope the conversion to VNA doesn't end the game.

Offline saposoft

• Contributor
« Reply #2222 on: February 03, 2023, 10:03:15 am »
BW RBW not working
SSA3021X+/hacked SVA
FW 3.2.2.5.1R1
all options enabled
as per TV84 instructions

when BW pressed during NVA mode, the option is greyed out , only default IFBW 10KHz
it works in SSA mode
Anybody has the same problem ?
did I do something wrong ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2223 on: February 03, 2023, 10:27:33 am »
BW RBW not working
SSA3021X+/hacked SVA
FW 3.2.2.5.1R1
all options enabled
as per TV84 instructions

when BW pressed during NVA mode, the option is greyed out , only default IFBW 10KHz
it works in SSA mode
No, normal.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: saposoft

Offline saposoft

• Contributor
« Reply #2224 on: February 07, 2023, 02:18:54 pm »
BW RBW not working
SSA3021X+/hacked SVA
FW 3.2.2.5.1R1
all options enabled
as per TV84 instructions

it works in SSA mode
No, normal.

WOW ! if its normal to have RBW only at 10KHz then as a VNA it's crippled, even nanoVNA can do better ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf