Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 622923 times)

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: Siglent SSA3000X spectrum analyzers
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2016, 09:34:42 pm »
There is a new software program for the SSA3000X's called EasySpectrum. I have used it briefly on several occasions and it has some nice features. EasySpectrum has 3 basic modes of operations:

[...snip...]

2) An EMI program for pre-compliance testing that mimics much more expensive EMI receivers used at certification labs. It also significantly speeds up these typically slow measurements - when using the quasi-peak detector - by jumping to a zero span mode when a peak response is reached during a scan. I have seen it speed up a quasi-peak detector-based EMI measurement from hours down to a few minutes.
I assume this requires the EMI measurement option on the SA?

Can the SA do quasi-peak measurements without the EMI option?

Can the internal preamp operate using a high-impedance input (e.g. 1M, 10M) mode with field probes or will such probes require an external LNA with 50ohm source impedance?

Any news on the updated TG?

Siglent America

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »
There is a new software program for the SSA3000X's called EasySpectrum. I have used it briefly on several occasions and it has some nice features. EasySpectrum has 3 basic modes of operations:

[...snip...]

2) An EMI program for pre-compliance testing that mimics much more expensive EMI receivers used at certification labs. It also significantly speeds up these typically slow measurements - when using the quasi-peak detector - by jumping to a zero span mode when a peak response is reached during a scan. I have seen it speed up a quasi-peak detector-based EMI measurement from hours down to a few minutes.
I assume this requires the EMI measurement option on the SA?

Can the SA do quasi-peak measurements without the EMI option?

Can the internal preamp operate using a high-impedance input (e.g. 1M, 10M) mode with field probes or will such probes require an external LNA with 50ohm source impedance?

Any news on the updated TG?

Hi bson,

To answer your questions:

1) I assume this requires the EMI measurement option on the SA?
>>>>Yes, the EMI option provides both a quasi-peak detector as well as the special IF filters used in the EMI world.

2) Can the SA do quasi-peak measurements without the EMI option?
>>>No. Although one could use the basic unit for pre-qualification testing the quasi-peak detector only comes with the EMI option. The EMI option allows for a more accurate EMI test as it more closely emulates the actual final certification testing conditions. As a note, the option can be added at any time.

3) Can the internal preamp operate using a high-impedance input (e.g. 1M, 10M) mode with field probes or will such probes require an external LNA with 50ohm source impedance?
>>The input impedance of the spectrum analyzer is 50 ohms, both with and without the preamp turned on. Siglent does sell a line of near-field probes as do other companies. These are normally designed to work into a 50 ohm load although amplitude calibration is normally not a concern because the probes are mainly used to locate and trace the source and paths of the EMI. Some people build their own probes. Normally, a second (external) LNA is not needed.

4) Any news on the updated TG?
>>>>I believe the new TG versions will begin to ship this month but you might want to check before you purhase one. I am told the new TG versions have a serial number higher than 60110.

Offline xyrtek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:41 pm »
@Siglent America

Hi,

this has been mentioned before but probably worth of saying again, please don't forget to make samples available for independent review.

Some here value the tear-downs as  tool for purchases while others will prefer full funtionality-spec test etc. I am hopping Siglent understand the importance of this.

Personally I think there is a huge value in having your product "reviewed" by the owner of this site and of even more value when not so positive feedback is given.

Regards.

tldr: Need a SA, got the $, want to see the inside.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:24:14 pm by xyrtek »

The following users thanked this post: videobruce

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2016, 08:12:38 pm »
From my inbox this morning:

Siglent to Participate in EMC-Line 2016 Webinar April 26

See the new Siglent SSA3000X Spectrum Analyzer in Action

Siglent Technologies will be demonstrating the SSA3000X spectrum analyzer for EMI Pre-Compliance testing as part of the upcoming EMC-Live webinar.
http://www.emclive2016.com

The Siglent demonstration is scheduled for
Tuesday, April 26, 2106 2:20 PM – 2:35 PM EDT

Registration is free and can be made at
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1862453223797433346?source=Siglent_PD

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Siglent America

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »
We are scheduled to get a new (TG) version in tomorrow. We will be sending it off right away for review. I can't guarantee how long that it will take before they can get to it but it will be reviewed by someone most everyone knows and trusts so I believe it will be a good objective review.

The following users thanked this post: saelig, bson

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2016, 09:07:41 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2016, 07:03:30 am »
For guys who may interested in.
1?updated my newly bought SSA3021X to the latest FW 07.05 for twice ?seems some problem with Siglent Startup screen for the first time, so tried again),all work good.
2) The date was wrong after updating, so I changed the date and restart the machine,
3) Then, a,  what I got as below photo, 3.2 G and all options opened,,,it saves me thousand of bucks if it valid forever!

is it a bug from Siglent new firmware?? don't exactly know why.  Two steps if you wanna to try:
a. update for twice;
b. time modify.  And as I think back, I may have enter a wrong date. But how does it possible the system finally display 1970-01-01? 
Always on a trip....

The following users thanked this post: SteveWS5W

Offline xyrtek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
@Deuze

Hi,

I been waiting for the reviews and the release of the updated TG to purchase the SSA3021X, your findings are tempting me to buy one right away :))

Would you mind sharing what you think about the SSA3021X?

Siglent have done a good job at not having this unit reviewed or even demoed by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SSA3000X

As much info as possible would be greatly appreciated. If not too much to ask maybe open a new thread with whatever info you feel like sharing. (pm is ok ofc)

Regards.

@Siglent:

Please get his unit reviewed.

When is the new TG version going to be released and how to ID them?

For guys who may interested in.
1?updated my newly bought SSA3021X to the latest FW 07.05 for twice ?seems some problem with Siglent Startup screen for the first time, so tried again),all work good.
2) The date was wrong after updating, so I changed the date and restart the machine,
3) Then, a,  what I got as below photo, 3.2 G and all options opened,,,it saves me thousand of bucks if it valid forever!

is it a bug from Siglent new firmware?? don't exactly know why.  Two steps if you wanna to try:
a. update for twice;
b. time modify.  And as I think back, I may have enter a wrong date. But how does it possible the system finally display 1970-01-01?

Siglent America

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »
Shahriar at The Signal Path currently has a SSA3032X he will review as soon as he can.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, pmcouto, bson, xyrtek

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »
I was hoping it was Shahriar. He does the best SA reviews by far.

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2016, 08:08:28 am »
@xyrtek
hi here is my brief opinion about this unit: 1) At first, I would say SSA3021X is quite worth of money. I was hesitated between SSA3021X and SSA3032X, but 3032X is much more expensive. I checked all specs (like DANL) can be met with what they notify on datasheet, that's good!  2)  there is a free PC software called EasySpectrum, this works good. You can save the screen picture to PC with a black or white background.  3)  What makes me happy is that they update the FW twice already , I think it is very important! This is what I can tell so far, I also expect to see what others' opinion about it. 
Always on a trip....

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:32 am »

That probably depends on how you define your target group.

I have seen a few of his videos, and they are extremely long and complex in the sense that he expects
that you already are an expert user on spectrum analyzers.

In most of his videos there is some "test filter that I had lying around". This is okey for one video,
but why use this approach over and over in every single video you make? Gets boring!

Moreover I have never seen him write some formulas on a blackboard, to explain some basic
concepts (e.g. Resolution BandWidth versus sweep time), like other people do,
such as Dave Jones and Jack Gansle.

Why not break the video in different sections, and make it in such a way, that both beginners and experts can enjoy it. Beginners watch the video from the start. Experts can watch the intro to get info
about where in time their sections of interest start, and then watch those specific parts.

The educational approach from Dave Jones and Jack Gansle are much better in my opinion.
They do have a section that works for beginners. They do use the blackboard for making notes.

I enjoy their videos much more, as they do have charisma. It's not the technical details that count always.

A good video, is a video that works for both a beginner and an expert, and where the speaker has charisma. It's a skill that you can't learn. Either you have it or you don't have it.

Last thing that you want is a long video, that gets so technical up to the level that the video becomes
boring, while at the same time you don't really learn any new things in it. What's the point of such videos? Can anyone tell me please?

If the video is technical and boring, but if you at least really learn something from it, then that's okey,
but if you don't really learn anything in the video, you better spend your time in watching another video :)

Dave Jones has this big red "FAIL" button on the shelf behind his desk, which makes this "big fail" sound when you press it. That's the very same button which I like to press now at this very moment of writing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:16:47 am by pascal_sweden »

Offline Bob S

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2016, 01:54:40 am »
I would not call a good detailed review boring. If you are thinking of spending a few thousand dollars plus a lot time in getting up to speed with some new equipment, you want to get have as much advanced technical information as possible. Bring it on, learning (or trying to learn) new stuff IS entertaining.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2016, 01:57:36 am »
Exactly.

I have seen a few of his videos, and they are extremely long and complex in the sense that he expects
Be sure after his review there'll be others and maybe they'll be at a newbie level.

The educational approach from Dave Jones and Jack Gansle are much better in my opinion.
For some they're fine, others not

Last thing that you want is a long video, that gets so technical up to the level that the video becomes
boring, while at the same time you don't really learn any new things in it. What's the point of such videos? Can anyone tell me please?
To demonstrate that one has more to learn to fully understand the subject.

Much of this stuff is at a university level and it can't be put in a short vid or even an hour long one, for hobbyists years even decades of part time interest and digging is needed to get to the same level.
Many paid good money to get their understanding and degrees why should those with that high level of understanding share all they know freely?  :-//

Dave Jones has this big red "FAIL" button on the shelf behind his desk, which makes this "big fail" sound when you press it. That's the very same button which I like to press now at this very moment of writing.
Well Shahriar it was always going to be after the unprofessional display Dave gave with his review of the SDS1000X.

He got a fail for that.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: zerto

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2016, 05:26:14 am »

In most of his videos there is some "test filter that I had lying around". This is okey for one video,
but why use this approach over and over in every single video you make? Gets boring!

Moreover I have never seen him write some formulas on a blackboard, to explain some basic
concepts (e.g. Resolution BandWidth versus sweep time), like other people do,
such as Dave Jones and Jack Gansle.

I like Shariar's videos, in fact he's the only reviewer who's videos I watch regularly and completely, and the reason is that his videos are at a level of experienced professionals. I don't want to sit through having basics which I already know explained over and in extensive length. Simple as that. I don't mind the length because it's filled with interesting stuff.

I also like that he doesn't rely on cheap show effects (i.e. that fail button). Just a good, thorough review.

I rarely watch Dave or other reviewers' videos, not because they are badly presented but simply because they focus pretty much on beginners. Which of course is important, and they do a good job there, but beginner's stuff isn't what I'm interested in. So it's not for me.

I understand that you want to see more basics and stuff but frankly there's already Dave and several other reviewers who do that. Not every video has to have beginners in mind, in fact if Shariar were to include all the stuff you're missing then he'd probably lose quite a large part of his experienced viewers like me.

@Shariar, if you read this, please don't change a thing!  :-+
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:37:29 am by Wuerstchenhund »

The following users thanked this post: JaspaJami, zerto

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2016, 05:47:03 am »
I'd like to go a step further than Wuerstchenhund. Dave's reviews are fun to watch and for A-brand equipment they are just fine but for the equipment from Asia you really want to know whether a piece of equipment is loaded with bugs or not. For that you need a review which is basically a full functional test and Dave just doesn't do anything near that.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: cncjerry

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2016, 05:51:31 am »
Completely agree Wuerstchenhund.
Also a SA is not something you just go out and buy because you want something to play with.
If you are in the market for one, you are likely at the sort of level where most stuff that Shahriar is talking about is completely understandable.
I watched Jack's review of the Rigol and found it completely useless. It basically just went over what might be on the first page of a brochure.
Shahriar does interesting experiments and gives interesting insights from his professional experience. He also delves into the performance of the product and highlights any shortcomings he comes across.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2016, 07:41:43 am »
Yeah, I was hoping one of these SA's would find its way to Shahriar (think I've said that already) as he does great reviews IMO. His videos does tend to be more advanced, often times above my level of knowledge, but I really don't mind that at all. He also tends to focus on the functionallity and performance of the instruments and not so much on how the thing looks and what color the buttons are - which sometimes seems to be the important thing for some. Theres's definitely room for both types, keep it up Shahriar !

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2016, 08:36:55 am »
When is the new TG version going to be released and how to ID them?
They're out now and ID is explained in point #4 reply #101
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg922241/#msg922241

You must have missed it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:17 am »
Indeed, absolutely no need for a general-audience review of a rather technical (specialized) instrument.

Shahriar  :-+

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2016, 12:35:31 pm »
What I find a bit bewildering is that I seem to be the only person who thinks that none of the main bloggers ever reviews a spectrum analyser properly from a technical point of view. i.e. they don't do any of the classic formal tests.

I like Shariar's videos, in fact he's the only reviewer who's videos I watch regularly and completely, and the reason is that his videos are at a level of experienced professionals.

It depends on what you mean by a professional. I think that Shahriar's videos are aimed towards the typical 'casual' user of a spectrum analyser in this class. That's fine but some professional users of a spectrum analyser would (hopefully) want to see some formal/classic tests to see if this analyser can qualify to sit on their bench. However, most potential users of this class of instrument won't know (maybe won't even care that much?) if the analyser display is telling the truth about the spectrum it is attempting to measure. So maybe they don't want to see formal testing/comparing. They just want to see the features it offers and how easy it is to 'drive' it.

But if the analyser WAS reviewed properly from a technical point of view they would at least be able to see if it was a contender for serious use professionally.

Like I said, I suspect that Shahriar's videos are tailored towards the advanced student/hobbyist. They definitely are not aimed at a professional RF engineer for example. There's too many classic/basic tests missing.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:40:21 pm by G0HZU »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2016, 12:44:27 pm »
Aren't the results of classical tests part of the specification of a spectrum analyser? And are relatively low cost spectrum analysers targeted at serious use beyond measuring some simple filters, antenna matching and EMC pre-compliance checking?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2016, 12:55:27 pm »
Aren't the results of classical tests part of the specification of a spectrum analyser?
Yes, but the specs on the datasheet will typically involve some 'weasel wording' to mask performance limitations.

And are relatively low cost spectrum analysers targeted at serious use beyond measuring some simple filters, antenna matching and EMC pre-compliance checking?
Probably not, but (generally speaking) the lower in class/cost you go with a spectrum analyser the harder it is to make reliable measurements. i.e. the overall uncertainty tends to go up.

So I would argue that it is just as important to do the classic/basic performance tests on a low cost instrument :)

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2016, 12:59:51 pm »
I would say, spectrum analyzer is not a tool for beginners. You must have some background knowledge to understand it and to use it.

My only one complain to Shahriar reviews is - he is a bit too optimistic about the reviewed product and silently skips some drawbacks.
He greatly shows some capabilities of a product, but no more.

I compare the difference between seeing the review and my personal usage -
First I saw his great review of SH BB60C analyzer, than in some time I've got this unit for me. I'm not an expert in RF, I'm just an experienced hobbyist, but since that time I filed ~20 bugs (some where obvious) to SH, half of them are already fixed, with others I have to live...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:01:46 pm by Ivan7enych »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:02 pm »
Like I said, I suspect that Shahriar's videos are tailored towards the advanced student/hobbyist. They definitely are not aimed at a professional RF engineer for example. There's too many classic/basic tests missing.

Finally someone who is on the same page as I am! Thanks for backing!

I think we are looking for a 3rd type of video blogger, next to Dave/Jack and Shahriar.

The following users thanked this post: videobruce

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf