Author Topic: Brymen BM867s ???  (Read 15064 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Brymen BM867s ???
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:13 am »
Thanks everyone who help me clarify my next purchase.
I'm power electronics/software developer.
The most signals that I measure are distorted, with higher harmonics and even worse, the pwm signals are still visible somehow. That is mostly true during development phase. The final product is good .
Thanks
Miro

What are you trying to measure exactly? Is DMM right tool for that?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2022, 02:25:01 pm »
The most signals that I measure are distorted, with higher harmonics and even worse, the pwm signals are still visible somehow. That is mostly true during development phase. The final product is good .

Sounds like a job for an oscilloscope, not a multimeter.

Offline miro123

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2022, 02:59:48 pm »

What are you trying to measure exactly? Is DMM right tool for that?
Hard to answer this question. The list is endless.
It is pretty much everything for what I have done the last 20 years with Fluke 187/189 in the lab and Fluke 87 in the field.

I have BM869s for 3 years. I would say that I start to trust on this meter.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2022, 06:06:40 am »

Sounds like a job for an oscilloscope, not a multimeter.

Yeah, sounds more liek a job for a portable scope like one of the Micsig's or a Fluke Scopemeter

Offline charonme

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2023, 04:24:32 pm »
my BM867s came with probes that now measure around 12 ohms and fluctuate wildly. I tried various other probes, even crocodile ones and they were all even much worse except the two set of probes that came with my cheap uni-t clamp ammeter (stab and crocodile), they both show around 0.2 ohms

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2023, 12:51:29 am »
my BM867s came with probes that now measure around 12 ohms and fluctuate wildly. I tried various other probes, even crocodile ones and they were all even much worse except the two set of probes that came with my cheap uni-t clamp ammeter (stab and crocodile), they both show around 0.2 ohms

Can you post a photo showing this situation and the leads?

Regardless, test leads are going to be considered a disposable item, so if the internal wires are broken or they have some other damage, then just buy some replacements.  The official Brymen silicone leads are only about $10USD.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2023, 02:40:56 am »
The official Brymen silicone leads are only about $10USD.

But they don't cost these money, it seems that defective probes with high or floating resistance is a common issue of Brymen brand...

My Brymen probes had such issue just out of the box, and at least 2 people from this thread also reported the same issue.

As I said before, I wrote them email about that issue and they respond that this issue is normal for their production, because they don't using soldering "For reliability, our test lead design uses mechanical grab" and "You may use Relative feature to offset it."...

They propose to use Relative feature because their probes have floating resistance from 0.08 to 1-2 Ω...

That's all what you needs to know about Brymen probes...  :--
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 02:55:01 am by radiolistener »

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2023, 05:05:02 am »
I just tested NINE sets of the Brymen test leads I have and none have that issue.  I also checked this thread and only see a report from you and one other person.  It doesn't appear to be too common.

'charonme' reported 12 ohms and a lot of fluctuations.  That is a completely different scenario and clearly the test leads are faulty/dirty/corroded/etc.

The only test leads I've had this issue was a modular set from Fluke, and they promptly sent me two free sets as soon as I e-mailed them about it along with my serial number.

However, it's true the Brymen leads are targeted at a budget price point, so if you need something better then by all means go buy something else.

Lastly, for measuring low resistances the generally accepted method is via 4-wire Kelvin.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:37:48 am by J-R »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf