Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 197631 times)

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
It may be that this is not the most suitable thread but... is there anyone who can tell me if for the SVA1032X it is possible to set the SW options in lifetime mode?

The SVA1032X has a considerable cost and before proceeding with its purchase I need to be sure if the various SW options (the cost of which is prohibitive for my possibilities...) can be permanently enabled.

Thanks in advance to those who want to help me.

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
It may be that this is not the most suitable thread but... is there anyone who can tell me if for the SVA1032X it is possible to set the SW options in lifetime mode?

The SVA1032X has a considerable cost and before proceeding with its purchase I need to be sure if the various SW options (the cost of which is prohibitive for my possibilities...) can be permanently enabled.

Yes, it is possible to enable all options permanently ...

luudee

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics

It is possible to start the journey to the full SVA1032X from the cheaper SSA3021X-plus

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor

It is possible to start the journey to the full SVA1032X from the cheaper SSA3021X-plus

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!! Before purchasing I'll investigate a bit regardig this much less expensive option.

Anyway, regarding this possibility that I'll now explore in detail thanks to your suggestion, I have the doubt that the frequency expansion operated in the transition between 2.1 GHz and 3.2 GHz results in an uncalibrated spectrum analyzer in the 2.1 - 3.2 GHz range and this would be a not negligible inconvenience for this type of measuring instruments! (calibration of a Spectrum Analyzer is usually a very expensive service...)

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!!! Before purchasing I'll investigate a bit regardig this much less expensive option.

Anyway, regarding this possibility that I'll now explore in detail thanks to your suggestion, I have the doubt that the frequency expansion operated in the transition between 2.1 GHz and 3.2 GHz results in an uncalibrated spectrum analyzer in the 2.1 - 3.2 GHz range and this would be a not negligible inconvenience for this type of measuring instruments! (calibration of a Spectrum Analyzer is usually a very expensive service...)
Full information on how to cross-flash the SSA3021X-plus to SVA1032X somewhere on this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/

Offline khutch004

• Contributor
I am seriously interested in purchasing a SVA1032X.
Is there any owner, based on his experience with the instrument, able to briefly present the pros and cons of the spectrum analyzer and the VNA section respectively?
Only that it's just a single port VNA therefore measurements are limited to S11 and S21 types as all stimulus comes from Port 1 (TG) yet for antenna (S11) and one directional tests of filters etc (S21)) it's still very useful.
For DUT's that need testing/measuring in both directions they must be flipped to poke them from either end.

Speaking as a (soon to be retired) professional radio design engineer a one and a half port VNA is cumbersome at best for professional use. It can do the job but you will forever long for a two or four port VNA. Speaking as a hobbiest I would say that these are very fine instruments. They are much better than I ever dreamed of owning except in the form of old, tired boatanchors that take up space, weigh a ton, and live on borrowed time.

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor
I have a SVA1032X which used to be an SSA3021X Plus and I'm seeing some strange issues with the VNA calibration. It seems that when I do a calibration, using either the Open, Short, or Enhanced Response calibration modes, things work OK and I get a "Cor" message to indicate things are calibrated. The issue comes up when I use either the 1-Port or Response Through calibration modes. Whenever I enter them, the start and stop frequencies always get reset to 100kHz-3.2Ghz. I can change them when in cal mode by clicking on them under the graph, but either way, when the cal completes, I never get the "Cor" message at the top indicating things are calibrated. Nor do I get a "*" next to the calibration option in the calibrate menu. Instead it always shows "---" at the top. Things seem like they might be calibrated, so I'm not sure if this is just a bug. Can someone with a real SVA1032X check if this happens there also?

The 2nd thing, I'm wondering about is the the cal kit selection. I have the F603FE kit from Siglent and select that from the menu when doing cals, but I noticed that there isn't a CSV file for it in the vnacalkitdata directory even though it's showing up in the menu. Does anyone know if that is an issue or how the CSV is used?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I have a SVA1032X which used to be an SSA3021X Plus and I'm seeing some strange issues with the VNA calibration. It seems that when I do a calibration, using either the Open, Short, or Enhanced Response calibration modes, things work OK and I get a "Cor" message to indicate things are calibrated. The issue comes up when I use either the 1-Port or Response Through calibration modes. Whenever I enter them, the start and stop frequencies always get reset to 100kHz-3.2Ghz. I can change them when in cal mode by clicking on them under the graph, but either way, when the cal completes, I never get the "Cor" message at the top indicating things are calibrated. Nor do I get a "*" next to the calibration option in the calibrate menu. Instead it always shows "---" at the top. Things seem like they might be calibrated, so I'm not sure if this is just a bug. Can someone with a real SVA1032X check if this happens there also?

The 2nd thing, I'm wondering about is the the cal kit selection. I have the F603FE kit from Siglent and select that from the menu when doing cals, but I noticed that there isn't a CSV file for it in the vnacalkitdata directory even though it's showing up in the menu. Does anyone know if that is an issue or how the CSV is used?
See here for clues to managing various Cals:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sva1015x-1-5ghz-spectrum-vector-network-analyzer-(coming)/msg3089298/#msg3089298

They need be saved for later use by recalling/Loading them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor
I'm referring to the CSV files not the CAL files. The CSV files are located in the directory structure at
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/vnacalikitdata Are you saying that saving and loading a CAL file will produce a CSV file? The files in the vnacalkitdata directory seem to be installed from the factory for only certain mechanical cal kits.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
I'm referring to the CSV files not the CAL files. The CSV files are located in the directory structure at
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/siglent/usr/vnacalikitdata Are you saying that saving and loading a CAL file will produce a CSV file? The files in the vnacalkitdata directory seem to be installed from the factory for only certain mechanical cal kits.
Cal kit files will be individual characterizations of each model of the listed Cal kits.
However these are not the industry standard Touchstone files although we are urging Siglent to use them....however they seem to rather want to sell Cal kits.  :(

Playing with a new beta FW for my SVA1032X and would need to roll back to known good FW to do further checks for you..........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor
The strange thing is that the cal kit CSV files in that folder are only for a subset of the calkit options you can pick from the menus. Makes me wonder if I pick the F603FE and the CSV file does not exist, then what is actually happening?

I don't suppose you can tell us if the new beta has fixes for the weird cal issues I mentioned above when selecting 1-port or through calibration, etc.?  :-+ :popcorn:

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
I have one. I always use the 1-port cal and I just tried the Response Through cal.  The frequency settings follow into both calibration screens and it also shows CAL at the top after leaving the cal screens.

The following users thanked this post: steve1515

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
The strange thing is that the cal kit CSV files in that folder are only for a subset of the calkit options you can pick from the menus. Makes me wonder if I pick the F603FE and the CSV file does not exist, then what is actually happening?

I don't suppose you can tell us if the new beta has fixes for the weird cal issues I mentioned above when selecting 1-port or through calibration, etc.?  :-+ :popcorn:
A wee look at this beta FW and Cals.
Some screenshots below with what might be the new max points.  :)
Going through the Cal process for which I used 1 Port Cal as this is mostly what I use and for this a F603FE at the end of a cheap 150mm SMA cable on a N-SMA adapter on Port 1.
Captures for Short and Open were done in the Sort and Open cal and went through them again in the 1 Port Cal where Load is also used but at each step each Cal is Applied however you only see the full result after Load is done.
Marker @ 3.2 GHz added FYI.
Full BW sweeps were quite fast previously however with 10k points they're ~4.5s now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: steve1515, tubularnut, luudee

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
Going through the Cal process for which I used 1 Port Cal as this is mostly what I use and for this a F603FE at the end of a cheap 150mm SMA cable on a N-SMA adapter on Port 1.
Captures for Short and Open were done in the Sort and Open cal and went through them again in the 1 Port Cal where Load is also used but at each step each Cal is Applied however you only see the full result after Load is done.
Full BW sweeps were quite fast previously however with 10k points they're ~4.5s now.

I can't wait for the official release !!!

rudi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

I can't wait for the official release !!!

rudi
10pm here now but wet day coming tomorrow so will roll back FW then and offer some examples of the same sort of Cal with this SVA1032. Might do some examples of how to Save a Cal for recall also.....
But now some zzzz's.  :=\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: steve1515, tubularnut, luudee

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor
I have one. I always use the 1-port cal and I just tried the Response Through cal.  The frequency settings follow into both calibration screens and it also shows CAL at the top after leaving the cal screens.

Thanks! This is good info to have. It means that there is some difference between a real SVA1032X and a converted one. Anyone have any ideas on why this might be or how to fix it? I saw earlier in the thread that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor

My converted SSA3021X Plus works ok with the calibration steps you have highlighted for both "1-Port" and "Response Through". The "Cor" indication appears when calibration is applied, and the frequency remains at whatever I had previously selected.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:10:12 pm by tubularnut »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Might do some examples of how to Save a Cal for recall also.....
Sorry guys found some bugs in Enhanced Response calibration with the beta FW.  :(
No tutorials from here today............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor

My converted SSA3021X Plus works ok with the calibration steps you have highlighted for both "1-Port" and "Response Through". The "Cor" indication appears when calibration is applied, and the frequency remains at whatever I had previously selected.

Are you doing these without doing a save/load file? From boot up, I'm simply doing the following for example:
1. Mode -> Vector Network Analyzer
2. Stimulus -> Start Freq -> 10Mhz -> Stop Freq -> 100Mhz
3. Back Arrow (Not the back button next to the number pad, but the blue button with the left pointing arrow)
4. Calibration -> Cal Kit -> F603FE
6. Calibrate -> 1-Port Cal -> Calibrate
The screen now changes to the prompt to connect the [OPEN] module, but the start and stop frequencies are changed to 100kHz - 3.2Ghz.

If I proceed through the cal it seems to work, but I don't get "Cor" (nor does saving/loading a xxx.cal file seem to do anything.)

A couple of other things I've noticed...

I've previously done all 5 of the cals modes, and the working ones seem to automatically save somewhere and the system knows that, so if I go into Calibration -> Calibrate and select Open Cal for example, the "Apply" button is enabled. I can only ever get the "Apply" button to enable for Open, Short or Enhanced. I can never get it to enable for the 1-port or the through. I'm thinking something is messed up with those 2 modes.

If I save a xxx.cal file and then try to load it, nothing appears to happen as well.

I also noticed that after the 1-port cal, it prompts me if I want to apply the cal by hitting Enter. When I press Enter, it then hangs for a few seconds and then beeps. For the open or short cal's for example, I don't get prompted if I want to apply, it just does it. I'm not sure if the few second hang or the prompt to apply in the 1-port but not the open or short is normal either.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or what I can try to correct this? Maybe there are some files I could delete or overwrite in the file system to reset something?
Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? I'm kind of at a loss here and I'm not sure what else to try...  |O :-// :palm:

(I'm looking forward to @tautech's save/load examples :) )
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:28:24 am by steve1515 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Steve, I suspect you are missing a small but very important step.  ;)
Work through 1 Port Cal as you have then re-enter the Calibration menu and select Correction = ON.

Screenshots below just taken show first what a Load looks like with Correction not applied and then applied.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online steve1515

• Regular Contributor
Work through 1 Port Cal as you have then re-enter the Calibration menu and select Correction = ON.

Screenshots below just taken show first what a Load looks like with Correction not applied and then applied.

This is interesting... By default my Correction is on, so I never touched it. I will have to try switching it OFF before doing the cal and then switching it back ON after to see if that makes a difference. I'll try this out tonight.

Is your Correction defaulting to OFF?

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
Mine turns on the calibration automatically once the OSL cal is complete. It would be interesting to make up a few reactive test loads and filters and actually get a comparison on different spans. For instance, mine is a legit 1032x, I have the certificate and I have the cal kit. I would have no problem getting a test piece in the mail, posting my results then mailing the board to someone with an upgraded SSA so they can do the same. Then we would know for sure what what the SSA version was doing in comparison to the true 1032x.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

This is interesting... By default my Correction is on, so I never touched it. I will have to try switching it OFF before doing the cal and then switching it back ON after to see if that makes a difference. I'll try this out tonight.

Is your Correction defaulting to OFF?
No and why would one undertake a calibration process with correction ON ? Dunno if it makes a difference or not. it just seems logical to disable corrections. Anyways I'm working with a V5 beta and just got an update that's apparently soon to be released so I need get all my checks done with it today.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online techneut

• Regular Contributor
Can you post a picture of your screen? It looks you are missing a cable because I had the same problem but then  my Smith diagram screen was al over the place

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Can you post a picture of your screen? It looks you are missing a cable because I had the same problem but then  my Smith diagram screen was al over the place
Even a genuine SVA1032X can display garbage if you have the wrong Cal applied and some are quite delightful patterns too !
Sometimes it's best to hit Preset and reset VNA points to max which is easily accessed from the Meas menus and start all over again. SVA can take a while to get used to if you lack RF or VNA experience.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf