Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 195132 times)

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Siglent SVA1015X 1.5GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzer
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2018, 10:15:14 pm »
can someone test the latest firmware (V2.1.1.1.13)?

https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/08/SVA1000X-Firmware-Revise-History.pdf

Is the VNA still going from 10MHz? In the release note they mentioned changes to minimum frequency:
"VNA mode: fasten the VNA sweep speed; expand the minimum span from 10M to 10 kHz"

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:17:55 pm by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2018, 04:51:38 am »
Hi Taut,

probably the SVA3kX will solve all the 1015x issues, but what will be the price?
More then 2k hear in Europe, I presume.
I want to keep the value around 1,5k eur.
Just watch siglent site and the ssa3021 TG promotion finishes 12/2018,so, in few days.
I should to decide between this two models. I have some doubts about it.
Regards
Rodrigo
I’d be very surprised if the current free TG gets dropped from the SSA models, yes it was a option when they were first released but I strongly suspect due to the popularity of the SSA models it made sense for Siglent to include the most basic option TG free of charge and SVA models come with TG free at release.

As I’ve mentioned earlier SVA1015X has a larger trial time usage of 120hrs that is large enough to allow several projects to be completed before deciding on what options to purchase for your requirements.
SVA can do a lot of tasks, most that I’ve barely used and Dave in his tear down just quickly investigated.

All we know about the coming SVA3000X models is pictures from Electronica from a couple of months ago, see here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-siglent-products-sds2000x-e-sva3032x-and-a-dc-load/msg1988441/#msg1988441

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ct1bxt

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2018, 05:07:21 am »
can someone test the latest firmware (V2.1.1.1.13)?

https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/08/SVA1000X-Firmware-Revise-History.pdf

Is the VNA still going from 10MHz? In the release note they mentioned changes to minimum frequency:
"VNA mode: fasten the VNA sweep speed; expand the minimum span from 10M to 10 kHz"
The minimum span only, not sweep was reduced and in the previous 12a version firmware.
No changes have been made to existing data sheet specifications however some small functionality has been added along with bug fixes and some other improvements in version 13 firmware.
The USA FW history list:
https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/12/SVA1000X-Firmware-Revise-History.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ct1bxt

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2018, 04:53:46 pm »
"I’d be very surprised if the current free TG gets dropped from the SSA models, yes it was a option when they were first released but I strongly suspect due to the popularity of the SSA models it made sense for Siglent to include the most basic option TG free of charge and SVA models come with TG free at release. "

Me too. In one week we will know if the change that or keep the TG as a gift.
Happy new year and tks
Rodrigo

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2018, 05:16:51 pm »
Is anything known about the new higher frequency VNA that was presented a while back?

Offline hamtarociaooo

« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2018, 10:52:46 am »
is there any news about the same ""procedure"" that has been done on the SSA3021X even on this model? there are a lot of cool options but the prices are a bit high for a non-professional user

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2018, 01:35:14 am »
is there any news about the same ""procedure"" that has been done on the SSA3021X even on this model? there are a lot of cool options but the prices are a bit high for a non-professional user
Welcome to the forum.

I don’t know any reason why it will be different to SSA models however how I got the options out of SVA was a bit different.  :-X
My SSA used the standard procedure.

Is anything known about the new higher frequency VNA that was presented a while back?
Nothing more is known other than mentioned in reply 228.....could be months away.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline hamtarociaooo

« Reply #232 on: January 01, 2019, 07:19:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I don’t know any reason why it will be different to SSA models however how I got the options out of SVA was a bit different.  :-X
My SSA used the standard procedure.

thank you and happy new year, i am really unsure on which to buy beetween SSA3021X and SVA1015X, i like the SSA for the "procedure" but i really like some of the SVA features such as smith chart or FSK analyzer, i would fall in love with the SVA if anybody can try the "procedure"

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2019, 04:12:51 am »
Hi everyone.  I usually lurk here more than post, but I thought I'd share a odd behavior of my SVA1015X that's a bit confusing.

I've only recently acquired this unit, and I'm new to spectrum analyzers, so it's very possible this is user error, but I've been looking at reviews of the SSA3021 (as I haven't found too many of the SVA1015X), and those models don't seem to behave this way.

I've noticed that when the tracking generator is ON and NORMALIZE is also on, changing the CT, Start or Stop frequencies seems to cause the SA to rerun the NORMALIZE procedure, effectively cancelling out the current waveform.  I am able to consistently reproduce this behavior and I am hoping someone here can clarify where I made a mistake or maybe can confirm the issue.

My setup:

TG Output -> N/BNC converter -> BNC cable -> BNC/N converter -> SA Input

Here's the steps I used to reproduce:

1.  I reset the SA by pressing the Preset button.  Then I turn on the Tracking Generator by Pressing TG and then ON.

2.  I turn on Normalization and set the Normal Ref Level to 20dB.  At this point, the trace on the screen is a line at 0dB.

3.  I insert a 20dB attenuator inline, on the SA Input side.  The screen shows a line at -20dB.

4.  I changed to the Frequency menu and change the Center Frequency to 500MHz.  The SA redraws the line at 0dB.

5.  I try changing the CF to 750MHz (by typing 750Mhz on the keypad).  Screen still shows 0dB.

6.  I try the Span menu and press the Full Span button.  Screen still shows 0dB.

7.  I went back to the TG screen to verify that no settings have changed as a result of my testing

I have attached screen captures, but I haven't figured out how to insert them into the body of this post.  If I figure it out, I'll update this post.

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior for the SVA1015X?

Thanks

Edit: Added links to photos

Edit1: My firmware version is V2.1.1.1.13

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:40:45 am by rmel »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:02 am »
Hi everyone.  I usually lurk here more than post, but I thought I'd share a odd behavior of my SVA1015X that's a bit confusing.

I've only recently acquired this unit, and I'm new to spectrum analyzers, so it's very possible this is user error, but I've been looking at reviews of the SSA3021 (as I haven't found too many of the SVA1015X), and those models don't seem to behave this way.

I've noticed that when the tracking generator is ON and NORMALIZE is also on, changing the CT, Start or Stop frequencies seems to cause the SA to rerun the NORMALIZE procedure, effectively cancelling out the current waveform.  I am able to consistently reproduce this behavior and I am hoping someone here can clarify where I made a mistake or maybe can confirm the issue.

My setup:
I checked this ^ with my SVA1015X and SSA3032X.
Yes, I see the same behavior and when using the higher BW SSA it became clear why.

When changing the CF in the SSA the Normalize is upset, that is it's not a perfectly flat line anymore and to correct this one needs to cycle Normalize to get a flat line again.
It would seem from these observations Siglent have the auto Normalize much better in the SVA while it could still be improved some for the SSA.... it's plainly apparent but takes only toggling Normalize to correct.
You can see the tiny Normalize errors in your screenshots after making the adjustment so I would still toggle Normalize to correct them after making any adjustments.

If not wanting to loose the previous sweep, I suggest you select View for Ref Trace in the TG menu and it will be frozen/locked before you make any further adjustments however you'll still have a live sweep to work with.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:05:20 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:25 am »
Thanks for checking.

From my testing, toggling the normalize requires that I disconnect the DUT and short the cables together again.  If I don't do this, the SVA no longer shows a waveform for my DUT.  I only get straight line at 0dB.

I might be able to understand the reasoning why it would be preferable to require the normalization to be toggled, but having to disconnect the DUT and short the cables every time is a PITA.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2019, 03:31:06 pm »
In my opinion, it is a BUG.  It should not re-normalize after you change the CF or Start/Stop frequencies.  Anyway, the logical procedure sounds like to first set the CF or Start/Stop frequencies, then normalize, then insert the DUT and measure.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: Siglent SVA1015X 1.5GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzer (Coming)
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:18 pm »
I guess market for lower end VNAs is not very big? If something like this would be priced so that its attractive to "average" Amateur Radio hobbyist, Siglent probably would sell orders of magnitude more....

You better do not want to know, how one must feel, if  he tries to be a microwave radio amateur hobbyist.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2019, 07:15:42 pm »
In my opinion, it is a BUG.  It should not re-normalize after you change the CF or Start/Stop frequencies.  Anyway, the logical procedure sounds like to first set the CF or Start/Stop frequencies, then normalize, then insert the DUT and measure.

It does kind of seem that way. I would expect if you change some settings that change/effect the prior normalization it would just report that it is no longer normalized.
VE7FM

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:52 pm »

It does kind of seem that way. I would expect if you change some settings that change/effect the prior normalization it would just report that it is no longer normalized.
This is what I'd expect too but it's currently not the case so emails have been sent to look at this behavior so to address it or have the unit warn the user.
What do other SA's do ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2019, 10:26:53 pm »

This is what I'd expect too but it's currently not the case so emails have been sent to look at this behavior so to address it or have the unit warn the user.
What do other SA's do ?

My Agilent SA will instantly report it is un-normalized if a change is made.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:53 pm »
Based on the appearance of the noise in the screenshots it doesn't look to me to re-run the normalise procedure. If it was the line would be completely flat as tautech mentioned.

In fact it looks to be retaining the normalised data and using it for the reduced span, as the noise in the trace looks very similar to what it was before.
However, for some reason it is moving the trace up by 20dB. It could be that this is the real bug, perhaps something to do with the 20dB reference offset. Try again without that offset perhaps?

On my Signalhound, from memory any change to the sweep params will discard the normalised data. I think the HP 8753 VNA will 'try its best' to keep the calibration if you have interpolation turned on, but I will need to confirm that.

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:59 pm »
From a user perspective, it would be great if I didn't have to toggle the normalize for small shifts in frequency or span.  If I see a part of the screen I'd like to zoom into a bit, having to disconnect the DUT each time would be pretty inefficient as I search for the best CF or span.  Is this how it's done with other SA's?

Here's a video I found of a review for the SSA3032X where the author changes the span to zoom in without toggling normalize.  Being able to do that would be ideal, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7uaEVeOPk, at 37:00

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:42 pm »
Based on the appearance of the noise in the screenshots it doesn't look to me to re-run the normalise procedure. If it was the line would be completely flat as tautech mentioned.

In fact it looks to be retaining the normalised data and using it for the reduced span, as the noise in the trace looks very similar to what it was before.
However, for some reason it is moving the trace up by 20dB. It could be that this is the real bug, perhaps something to do with the 20dB reference offset. Try again without that offset perhaps?

On my Signalhound, from memory any change to the sweep params will discard the normalised data. I think the HP 8753 VNA will 'try its best' to keep the calibration if you have interpolation turned on, but I will need to confirm that.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:53 pm »
From a user perspective, it would be great if I didn't have to toggle the normalize for small shifts in frequency or span.  If I see a part of the screen I'd like to zoom into a bit, having to disconnect the DUT each time would be pretty inefficient as I search for the best CF or span.  Is this how it's done with other SA's?

Here's a video I found of a review for the SSA3032X where the author changes the span to zoom in without toggling normalize.  Being able to do that would be ideal, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7uaEVeOPk, at 37:00

It looks to me like the normalised data/calibration may be lost when he does that. The marker changes from -1.48 dB to somewhere around -3 dB when he changes the span.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:18 am »

However, for some reason it is moving the trace up by 20dB. It could be that this is the real bug, perhaps something to do with the 20dB reference offset.
No issue here, mine works properly and I suspect it's just that rmel didn't mentioned he'd removed the 20 dB attenuation.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2019, 02:46:07 am »
I retried my test without the 20dB offset, and unfortunately, that didn't make a difference.  Also, in my first post, I
didn't remove the 20dB offset.  The last photo in the sequence shows that it's still there.

To give a clearer example of what's happening, I thought I'd use a different DUT (a simple RC circuit) that produces something other than a straight line to show
what's happening on my screen.

My setup:

TG -> BNC cable -> DUT -> BNC cable SVA Input

Steps:

1.  Preset -> Frequency -> CF -> 20MHz.  TG -> ON

2.  I connected the DUT with Normalize OFF, just to see what the signal looks like without it.

3.  Removed DUT and shorted the cables again, then: TG -> Normalize ON

4.  Connected DUT

5.  Frequency -> CF 19MHz.  You can see that the output is 0dB.

At this point, the behavior gets weirder, as when I turn the knob to changed the CF, the screen flashes the expected
waveform before going back to a "straight" line.  I created a video of this here:

https://gfycat.com/DimEllipticalAnura
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:50:12 am by rmel »

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2019, 02:56:56 am »
Ah nice - now I think I know what is happening :)

The normalised data is still being applied. The problem is that by moving the CF around you are causing the instrument to not find a frequency match in its stored list of normalised data points. When you move the CF continuously like in your video, then sometimes it does match and so you get the expected result.

So, I hypothesize that some settings of CF/Start/Stop will at least appear to work correctly and some will not. :)

Offline rmel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2019, 03:51:16 am »
Unfortunately for me, I haven't been able to find any frequency where my signal is displayed correctly.   Whether I enter a frequency directly on the keypad or if I turn the knob slowly, it only shows me the correct waveform for a very brief time.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2019, 04:08:24 am »
I created a video of this here:
https://gfycat.com/DimEllipticalAnura
Yes, well you normally wouldn't use a SA like that, instead you'd set some reference level appropriately near mid display.

Jump over into the SSA3kX thread and practice mimicking some of the simple usage examples from members like rf-loop. When I got my SSA3032X, there is where I learnt basic SA use as like you I'd never had a SA before let alone used one.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/

Do you have a sig gen to practice with ? (be careful to keep inputs to safe levels)
Once you have the basics venture into work with reflection bridges and directional couplers and then explore the VNA world that awaits you.
Little steps.  ;)

Watching this from Shahriar might help too:
https://youtu.be/Fn7uaEVeOPk?t=6
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:31:37 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf