Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 46414 times)

Offline NY2KW

• Regular Contributor
You may already be aware but using external software is the  best way to get full control over the cal - and the models used for the standards.

Thanks, Not familiar with Python but I do some C programming so open to learning Python basics.  I downloaded latest Windows Python then Anaconda and then installed the scikit rf module.  I went through the early examples including the plots - very cool!  It says scikit rf only supports a few VNA s as virtual instruments.  Next steps for me is to learn how to set up my calibrations and load SVA1032X data for manipulations in scikit rf.   Too bad there isn't a scikit rf GUI interface to simply things... I rather be using the SVA1032x than getting on the scikit rf learning curve.

Jerry NY2KW

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
You may already be aware but using external software is the  best way to get full control over the cal - and the models used for the standards.

Thanks, Not familiar with Python but I do some C programming so open to learning Python basics.  I downloaded latest Windows Python then Anaconda and then installed the scikit rf module.  I went through the early examples including the plots - very cool!  It says scikit rf only supports a few VNA s as virtual instruments.  Next steps for me is to learn how to set up my calibrations and load SVA1032X data for manipulations in scikit rf.   Too bad there isn't a scikit rf GUI interface to simply things... I rather be using the SVA1032x than getting on the scikit rf learning curve.

Jerry NY2KW

There kind-of is a basic IDE for it, in the form of Jyputer notebook. Its been a while, but I think you will already have that installed due to using Anaconda.
It all takes a bit of time and effort to get your head around, but it does help being able to see the results quickly.

I wrote some docs for myself here:
https://github.com/hendorog/SVA1015X

If you store your code on GitHub, then the Jyputer notebook is rendered nicely and you can see the results just like in the scikit docs.
I did some tests here using a faked short measurement, don't read anything into the results as I was just messing around.
https://github.com/hendorog/SVA1015X/blob/master/docs/SDR%20Cal%20Test1.ipynb

I keep meaning to write a driver for the SVA, but haven't done so yet. The above data was extracted manually, which was a pain.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Will this VNA do amplitude sweeps?

Not at the moment. IIRC there is no amplitude control in VNA mode right now, but there is in SA+TG mode. Hoping this will be fixed soon.

Offline NY2KW

• Regular Contributor
I scanned through your code. Looks like fun.   What is the file format for your standards that you are reading in?  For example, the file "data/ideals/KirkbySN0092" ?

I see there is a VI file that Siglent provides.  I know even less about Labview, etc but wounder if the Siglent VI file could be easily modified for use in scikit-rf?

Jerry

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
I scanned through your code. Looks like fun.   What is the file format for your standards that you are reading in?  For example, the file "data/ideals/KirkbySN0092" ?

I see there is a VI file that Siglent provides.  I know even less about Labview, etc but wounder if the Siglent VI file could be easily modified for use in scikit-rf?

Jerry

I'm not sure - I don't know much about Labview either and don't have any desire to learn it anymore :)
Regardless, there is a good doc on the SVA remote SCPI API so you could just use that instead of reverse engineering the VI.

The files are touchstone format (blah.S1P), which is a standard format for exporting/importing VNA data. To create those from the SVA, I think I just exported mag + phase into a csv and then massaged it by hand using a text editor.

The cal kit I have, from Dr Kirkby, came with its own touchstone files which describe the standards. I use that method instead of the C0, C1, C2 etc model, as it is easier. It's one less approximation so should be more accurate. The 'ideals/SN0092' directory contains these files - i.e. the ones which came with the cal kit.

Of course with the Rosenberger cal you don't get the touchstone files, but you could theoretically create one which reflects the values they provide, or alternatively you could get the kit measured on a properly calibrated VNA and export them.

I have the Rosenberger kit too, and I must have swept them at the same time. (Note that these measurements are uncorrected, and they need to be corrected using the scikit cal before they mean anything)
https://github.com/hendorog/SVA1015X/tree/master/docs/data/measured/SVA/SDRKits

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Discussion of possible improvements to the measurement suite within VNA mode:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sva1032x-vna-disappointment/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Latest whisper is a SVA1075X will be released quire soon.  :popcorn:

Maybe then this thread topic can be updated to include this 7.5 GHz model.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jayk

• Contributor
Looks to be 2.5x the price of the 3.2GHz model.... :(

https://www.siglent.eu/vna-spectrum-analyzers

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Here is the FW to open the telnet session over port 10101 on a SVA1032X.

Test to see if it works.

It's different from this one.

Offline taxilian

This isn't working for me on my SVA1032X w/ V2.2.1.2.5.

I loaded SVA1032X_telnet.ADS onto a FAT32-formatted thumb drive (one which I've been able to save PNGs onto from the unit) and put it in. I went to System, System Info, Firmware Update, selected SVA1032X_telnet.ADS, and selected "Open/Load". I selected "Enter" on the warning about rebooting and stuff. It went into the "Upgrading now, please wait..." screen and stays there.

I then tried to run "telnet (ip address here) 10101" and got a "connection refused". I used nmap to map the ports on the unit and there is no new port open. The only open TCP ports are 21, 80, 111, 864, 5024, 5025, and 5900.

Am I missing any steps?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
I then tried to run "telnet (ip address here) 10101" and got a "connection refused". I used nmap to map the ports on the unit and there is no new port open. The only open TCP ports are 21, 80, 111, 864, 5024, 5025, and 5900.

Am I missing any steps?

It seems not. We need another member to test.

You tried the connection while the SVA remains in "upgrading..." mode?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:21:03 pm by tv84 »

Offline taxilian

It seems not. We need another member to test.

You tried the connection while the SVA remains in "upgrading..." mode?

Yeah, multiple times :-/ No luck so far. I don't lose connectivity to the device, it just goes into the "ugprading..." mode and nothing happens, no matter how long I wait

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf