Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 197637 times)

dmz56 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Siglent has some catching up to do.
:-//
SVA1075X, and it's a fully featured spectrum analyser too.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:59:02 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
All SVAs and the nano V2 currently are hampered by the magnetics based coupler. It performs poorly at lower and upper frequency extremes. I'm experimenting with balun-less active reflectometer designs that can potentially give you decent directivity from DC to 6GHz. Siglent has some catching up to do.

That is not true for _all_ SVA's.

The one on my bench has at least 30 dB effective directivity or below from 100kHz to 7.5GHz with no user calibration from power on.
This is simply determined by turning it on and attaching a good N load to the port.

I expect/believe there is a factory cal in there, but that doesn't matter. I have no knowledge of what is inside the box - I haven't opened it - but I assume it is some sort of SMD bridge + balun similar to the other units.

Not knocking what you are doing of course, it will be good to see your work in a new version of the nano.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
Yes the factory cal (and ecal in the nano v2) hides the true directivity of the coupler. If the raw directivity is low, for example at very low frequencies where the balun is ineffective, the software has to subtract all the forward leakage and the result is more noise after calibration. The SVA series are architecturally very similar to the nano v2, which uses the same kind of coupler and the same method of obtaining the reference signal without an actual reference path (by using an RF switch before port 1 to short it out). I believe siglent has a custom ordered balun that can work up to 7.5GHz, but I'd be surprised if they can get 10dB raw directivity at 7GHz from that. I'd like to see the mentioned raw graphs during user cal.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Yes the factory cal (and ecal in the nano v2) hides the true directivity of the coupler. If the raw directivity is low, for example at very low frequencies where the balun is ineffective, the software has to subtract all the forward leakage and the result is more noise after calibration. The SVA series are architecturally very similar to the nano v2, which uses the same kind of coupler and the same method of obtaining the reference signal without an actual reference path (by using an RF switch before port 1 to short it out). I believe siglent has a custom ordered balun that can work up to 7.5GHz, but I'd be surprised if they can get 10dB raw directivity at 7GHz from that. I'd like to see the mentioned raw graphs during user cal.

Of course - the point I was making was that directivity out of the box is still better than 30dB even at power on (time of worst drift) and with the default cal. So for the class of instrument the raw directivity is high enough for good performance. It is after all a multi-purpose unit.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
I'm suspecting you can't turn off factory cal because the raw directivity of the coupler isn't very good and they don't want you to see that ;)

I also see significant trace noise around 3GHz, it looks just like the nanovna V2. That is because it doesn't have a simultaneous reference receiver and can not cancel out synthesizer phase noise.

Don't bother comparing the original Nano to this, look at the V2 instead which has far better calibration standards and the VNA itself performs basically the same as the SVA.

All SVAs and the nano V2 currently are hampered by the magnetics based coupler. It performs poorly at lower and upper frequency extremes. I'm experimenting with balun-less active reflectometer designs that can potentially give you decent directivity from DC to 6GHz. Siglent has some catching up to do.

If you scroll up you can see the raw signal without any calibration from the SVA1032X platform (hacked SSA, they use the same hardware, but since hacked i have no factory cals :P)

Offline daivermaster

How to import  cal data in s1p format to SVA1050X ?
Or i something disunderstand?

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
How to import  cal data in s1p format to SVA1050X ?
Or i something disunderstand?

It is not possible to import s1p files - in the current firmware. However, there are two workarounds:
* Adjust the delay parameter in the User cal kit setting to minimise the error.
* Export sweep data to a PC and use scikit-rf to do the calibration instead.

The following users thanked this post: citizenrich

Online techneut

• Regular Contributor
I came across this post on a calibration kit, to bad it's only for female connectors. I ordered them by Mousers
http://www.hhft.de/index.php?page=competences&subpage=calibration

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
V2.2.1.2.7 2020/05/12
Notice:
This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.
New Functionality:
 Add Limit mask offset in SA mode
 Frequency LOG scale in VNA mode
 Add OPEN、SHOT、enhanced response in VNA mode
 Add 85033D/E Cal kit in VNA mode
 Save/recall .cal file in VNA mode
 Port 1 power (TG) adjustable in VNA mode
 Zero span in VNA mode
Improvements:
 Smooth the glitch in Phase format in VNA mode
Solved Issues:
 Fixed AM and FM symbol rate error, Lpf coefficient error, in AMA mode
 Fixed Filter bandwidth error in DMA mode
 Fixed Freq counter error in SA mode
 Fixed Harmonic error in SA mode
 Help Display error

Disappeared...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=90679722209028843386

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
V2.2.1.2.7 2020/05/12
Notice:
This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.
New Functionality:
 Add Limit mask offset in SA mode
 Frequency LOG scale in VNA mode
 Add OPEN、SHOT、enhanced response in VNA mode
 Add 85033D/E Cal kit in VNA mode
 Save/recall .cal file in VNA mode
 Port 1 power (TG) adjustable in VNA mode
 Zero span in VNA mode
Improvements:
 Smooth the glitch in Phase format in VNA mode
Solved Issues:
 Fixed AM and FM symbol rate error, Lpf coefficient error, in AMA mode
 Fixed Filter bandwidth error in DMA mode
 Fixed Freq counter error in SA mode
 Fixed Harmonic error in SA mode
 Help Display error

Disappeared...

Do you think Siglent is planning a patch for the SSA to SVA hack?

Online tv84

• Super Contributor

Would be interesting to see how they could distinguish them after the crossflash...  (besides the obvious model type, that can be corrected)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor

Disappeared...

It's still up.. guess they only pulled it from the web portal interface?

https://int.siglent.com/upload_file/zip/firmware/Spectrum_analyzer/SVA1032X_2.2.1.2.7_EN.zip

Maybe? Doubtful though..

1 this community puts out valuable feedback
2 the amount of affected units is tiny and they can reject warranty at will still over them

Business sales more than likely remain unaffected.. cant exactly send them out for calibration

Now if for some reason it's cutting into their business.. yeah you will instantly see a patch

Further they have never really done anything to stop people modifying their instruments on the whole

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Chris does some cap measurements with his SVA1015X.
Worth the watch.  :)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Joel_l, tubularnut, Sly

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Siglent F603FE
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2020, 09:39:16 am »
Siglent F603FE 4.5 GHz calibration kit......experiments/play with it to follow when a chance arises to visit hendorog.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:41:14 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
Hello,

I'm new on this thread as a user of my VNA from Siglent.

I just bought the SVA1032X and got strange behavior of it. The device shows some noisy signal but does not measure anything nor generate a signal on tracking output...

Did anyone experience a similar problem with it? This is the fresh new device, with SW 2.2.1.2.5.

I thought there is a need for some initial password, but after a call to the seller, he confirmed not.

Thanks for any suggestions on that, before launching the official warranty return..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:40:47 am by goleszek »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Hello,

I'm new on this thread as a user of my VNA from Siglent.

I just bought the SVA1032X and got strange behavior of it. The device shows some noisy signal but does not measure anything or generate a signal on tracking output...

Did anyone experience a similar problem with it? This is the fresh new device, with SW 2.2.1.2.5.

I thought there is a need for some initial password, but after a call to the seller, he confirmed not.

Thanks for any suggestions on that, before launching the official warranty return..
Welcome to the forum.

TG is fulltime enabled on all Siglent SVA/SSA's and available as permanent so you just need press the TG button to turn it ON. bring up the TG menu and select ON. See screenshots below.
Try pressing the Preset button to return it to factory default where it will return to Spectrum analyser mode and TG should be available.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:54:23 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
Thanks tautech for the prompt reply.

The point is that a tracking generator activates in a menu, but nothing is physically existing on the port 1 output. Also, the spectrum analyzer function is not operating - driving port 2 from the external signal source does not change observed background noise. Similarly like shorting ports together - see picture below.

The Preset button, restart or factory reset from the system menu does not change device behavior.

Tomorrow I will send the unit for seller's inspection if nothing discovered during a day.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:30:03 am by goleszek »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Thanks tautech for the prompt reply.

The point is that a tracking generator activates in a menu, but nothing is physically existing on the port 1 output. Also, the spectrum analyzer function is not operating - driving port 2 from the external signal source does not change observed background noise. Similarly like shorting ports together.

The Preset button, restart or factory reset from the system menu does not change device behavior.

Tomorrow I will send the unit for seller's inspection if nothing discovered during a day.
The first screenshot is straight after a Preset which returns factory settings and full span, 10dB/div etc.
Do you see the same ?

Screenshot 2 is with TG port connected to RF in and TG levels shown on the trace.
Do you not see this ?

You can post screenshots easily here, just add them into Attachments when you post.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
The first screen is exactly same as your after Preset.

The second is after TG activation with shorted ports - unfortunately no change in a trace.

I use original cables ordered together with an analyzer - they are fine, just tested on a parallel instrument.

Have no idea.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
The first screen is exactly same as your after Preset.

The second is after TG activation with shorted ports - unfortunately no change in a trace.

I use original cables ordered together with an analyzer - they are fine, just tested on a parallel instrument.

Have no idea.
I do, it needs repair or replacement. Contact your supplier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
New firmware for SVA1015X and SVA1032X models.

Version: V2.2.1.2.8   
16.8 MB

Please note the same version applies to both instruments but each model has its own download.
Be sure to select the correct download link for your model.
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?CateIdss=16

Release notes
Notice: This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.
New Functionality:
• Update EMI option to a new EMI measurement mode
• Added more VNA calibration kits with N/3.5mm type connectors to 4.5G/9.0GHz
• Added *.CSA file type to store instrument setup and calibration data in one file for easy recall and use of a saved state.
• Update user calibration data format.
CAUTION:
User calibration data taken with previous firmware revisions will no longer be compatible with the instrument after upgrading to V2.8. You will have to store new user calibration files if you update the instrument.
• VNA Port 1 output power and Port2 input Att adjustable
Improvements:
• Improve TG output harmonic performance
• Update Help file
Solved Issues:
• Fix some ADC overload warning
• Fix Ch Power calculation bug in small span
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
New Functionality:

This is both a EMI feature update and an addition into the Mode menu so to make the EMI feature more accessible instead of it being tucked away in a menu.

Easy to find now in the Mode menu:

And the new GUI:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
Serious question TT:-

How do you manage so much time on the forum? You genuinely attempt to answer virtually any question relating to a scopes/sa/vna/sg/fg/dmm's etc even when they are not directly Siglent related and yet time to find the time to run a fully fledged  electrical distribution business as well?

I am amazed at your stamina, sheer number of posts on here, and how you are willing to 'help out' any Siglent query even when its' not related to you in any way?

To quote Gene Hackman 'Ballsy little bastard'

Your ability to make firmware happen in such short spaces of time is frightening efficient (this is a good thing) though to make this happen you must have some real clout and direct line into the factory almost like Ronnie Ray-gun's hot phone line to the Kremlin.

I have been employed over the years in some serious establishments with far reaching financial muscle who daily spend on consumables would equate to Siglent's yearly turn over by many multiples. Yet even with a fair wind and the right people in the right places nothing ever happened that fast  :-//

So how do you find the time to do all of this? and keep your distribution customers happy, answer tech queries none those forum based, day to day running of a SME plus find ALL the time hang around on EEV?

Astonishing abilities TT I am in awe of your omnipresence.

Which gives us a couple of possibilities, Tautech is in fact a persona created by a number of users all keyed to the same response algorithm who's 24/7 EEV vigil is maintained seamlessly.

Or Elvis never really left the building   :clap:

Possibly you have alien DNA that allows you 1.75 hours sleep a day, live off 2 NASA ration packs a year, juggle 47 steins (all full) while computing pi to 35th power while still making replies on EEV blog forum

Are you a top secrete Siglent project they have been working for the last decade? not just to surreptitiously take out Rigol et al and slowly work towards world domination via T&E data acquisition back to the mother factory?

So do indulge an old man and let us know your special Siglent power and do you ever need to recharge it?

PS what's next Siglent 2020 release portfolio?, must be due very soon, you know you are itching to spread the love to us all.

After all its only been a couple of months since the last product drop 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:17:10 am by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
I heard it's a bot!

The following users thanked this post: tautech, citizenrich

Offline dc8wan

New Firmware-Version (V2.2.1.2.8 2020/07/20) is available for SVA3015X and SVA3032X

Code: [Select]
Notice: This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.
New Functionality:
• Added more VNA calibration kits with N/3.5mm type connectors to 4.5G/9.0GHz
• Added *.CSA file type to store instrument setup and calibration data in one file for easy recall and use of a saved state.
• Update user calibration data format.
CAUTION:
User calibration data taken with previous firmware revisions will no longer be compatible with the instrument after upgrading to V2.8. You will have to store new user calibration files if you update the instrument.
• VNA Port 1 output power and Port2 input Att adjustable
Improvements:
• Improve TG output harmonic performance
• Update Help file
Solved Issues:
• Fix some ADC overload warning
• Fix Ch Power calculation bug in small span

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?CateIdss=16
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:44:32 am by dc8wan »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf