Author Topic: Siglent SVA1015X and SVA1032X 1.5, 3.2GHz Spectrum & Vector Network Analyzers  (Read 195105 times)

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
There are new features they left out of the release notes, the best of which is addition of log frequency sweep in VNA mode.  I love this feature!
Also they fixed a bug that decoupled markers when you went into continuous valley or peak mode using the VNA.

Offline dc8wan

There are new features they left out of the release notes, the best of which is addition of log frequency sweep in VNA mode.  I love this feature!

This feature is from the rejected version V2.2.1.2.7
Code: [Select]
New Functionality:
• Add Limit mask offset in SA mode
• Frequency LOG scale in VNA mode
• Add OPEN、 SHOT、 enhanced response in VNA mode
• Add 85033D/E Cal kit in VNA mode
• Save/recall .cal file in VNA mode
• Port 1 power (TG) adjustable in VNA mode
• Zero span in VNA mode
Improvements:
• Smooth the glitch in Phase format in VNA mode
Solved Issues:
• Fixed AM and FM symbol rate error, Lpf coefficient error, in AMA mode
• Fixed Filter bandwidth error in DMA mode
• Fixed Freq counter error in SA mode
• Fixed Harmonic error in SA mode
• Help Display error

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
V2.2.1.2.7 had some hard crash issues when I tested it.  They have been corrected in the new version.

Offline NY2KW

• Regular Contributor
I had upgraded my SVA1032x with v2.2.1.2.7 several weeks ago and all seemed fine.  Tonight I placed v 2.2.1.2.8 onto the same USB stick (wiped) I always use and the upgrade hourglass has been rotating for more than 15 mins.

Any advice how to proceed?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I had upgraded my SVA1032x with v2.2.1.2.7 several weeks ago and all seemed fine.  Tonight I placed v 2.2.1.2.8 onto the same USB stick (wiped) I always use and the upgrade hourglass has been rotating for more than 15 mins.

It should have done its thing by now and as 2.7 was pulled it may have had some bug in it.
I rolled back to 2.5 from 2.7 a few weeks back after it didn't behave as I was used to yet 2.5 did.  :-//

Stab the power button for 2s and give it time to shut down. If that doesn't work hold a sec more and give it a mo.
If still no shutdown hold the button down until it does.

Then power ON again and check System status for changes. If none, roll back to 2.5 then update to 2.8 because we know that process works.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

All sorted ? ? ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
FULL BACKUP of a SVA1015X or SVA1032X

Scripts to make a NAND dump + RAM dump + firmdata0 backup on a SVA1015X or SVA1032X are attached.  (Tested OK.)

Use a pendisk >= 1 GBytes.  It can take up to 20 minutes.

Edit: I added a command to reboot the SVA after the backup is complete.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:25:49 am by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: jemangedeslolos, james38, rozzy, echo99

Online Emo

• Regular Contributor
@TV84,

Yes it did work ok for me. Still on 2.2.1.2.7 in pro-mode with FAT32 8GB stick.
It is difficult to see if the dump is ready. I waited for 35 mins before shutting off

Also today installed the missing link. Used RG316D to correct(My unit originally shipped with 2.2.1.2.3r1, august 2018 so probably one of the first batches)
Now upgrade to 2.2.1.2.8

Eric

The following users thanked this post: tv84

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
New Functionality:
• Update EMI option to a new EMI measurement mode
A new SSAX Plus/SVA and SSAX-R User manual version E02A with chapter 7 for this new EMI mode on P134.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SSA_XP_SVA_UserManual_UG0703P_E02A.pdf
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:39:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut

Offline rozzy

• Contributor
Many thanks to tv84 who walked me through crossflashing an SSA3021X Plus to a full functional SVA1032X.
His patience and knowledge was much appreciated. Need to send him a crate of beer :popcorn:
Make sure that you use his full NAND backup .ADS before you start.

Shows Model as SSA3032X Plus but that doesn't bother me. Quite fancy Elasia's 'TurboEncabulator_5000'
Serial number remains intact.

Happy.....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:09:15 pm by rozzy »

The following users thanked this post: Lupusz

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
I needed to have the impedance information from my SVA1032X VNA. Unfortunately, this device does not directly support such a format, so I attempted to connect it over TCP/IP to Matlab.
Provided *.m script supports only basic operations in SA and VNA modes, anyhow I hope someone will find it useful.

Attached, you can see an evaluation of the sample RFID antenna, operated at 13.56MHz: SVA1032 screen and Matlab files - acquired S11, Smith and Z. Also an example of sampled analyzer data.

Feel free to modify this script as you wish. You need only to change *.c extension to *.m (m file type is not supported to be posted on forum).

The following users thanked this post: hendorog

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
I needed to have the impedance information from my SVA1032X VNA. Unfortunately, this device does not directly support such a format, so I attempted to connect it over TCP/IP to Matlab.

Thanks for these files :) I was going to export data to matlab as well, so it will be a little easier.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
Who knows, if the firmware update to the latest 2.2.1.2.8 version violates the existing calibration certificate? I'm worrying, that this reflash process may irreversibly overwrite some internal calibration data of the unit.

Is it a safe process from this standpoint?

I found only below remark:
"CAUTION: User calibration data taken with previous firmware revisions will no longer be compatible with the instrument after upgrading to V2.8. You will have to store new user calibration files if you update the instrument", but I believe it is related to the calibration performed during OPEN-SHORT-LOAD, which could be easily repeated in a VNA mode.

What about (possible) accuracy degradation in a spectrum analyzer mode? I assume, there are some manufacturer's correction factors, which typically reduce internal errors (due to linearity, drifts etc.). Are they maintained, discarded, or switched to default ones?

Or maybe there is nothing to worry about? Did anyone experience any degradation in the accuracy after reflash?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
A vendor would never release a FW that flushed the calibration without the user being able to recalib by himself.

If not, all equipments around the world would have to be sent to calib...

What I read is that the calib file's format will change.

The following users thanked this post: goleszek

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
Thanks tv84 for that response.

However, it might not be as simple as you've described, also for the top suppliers...

"...E6452A receivers the amplitude accuracy may no longer meet its published amplitude calibration specifications (by 1 to 4 dB). This is due to a firmware upgrade that changes the tuning equation of the E6452A. Affected receivers should be returned to an Keysight service center for a complimentary (no charge) calibration that will restore your receiver to its specified performance"

https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?ckey=1000003448:epsg:faq&id=1000003448:epsg:faq&nid=-35703.696764.00&lc=por&cc=BR

From V2.2.1.2.8 release note:
-> Fix Ch Power calculation bug in small span:-)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:44:21 pm by goleszek »

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
A vendor would never release a FW that flushed the calibration without the user being able to recalib by himself.

If not, all equipments around the world would have to be sent to calib...

What I read is that the calib file's format will change.
Then you obviously never heard of Rigol  :)

I had a DG1020, and lost its calibration after an upgrade. I don't have the generator any longer, I disposed it completely. No more Rigol stuff for me

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Then you obviously never heard of Rigol  :)

Definitely I never heard that there was a massive Rigol DG collection...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Who knows, if the firmware update to the latest 2.2.1.2.8 version violates the existing calibration certificate? I'm worrying, that this reflash process may irreversibly overwrite some internal calibration data of the unit.

Is it a safe process from this standpoint?

I found only below remark:
"CAUTION: User calibration data taken with previous firmware revisions will no longer be compatible with the instrument after upgrading to V2.8. You will have to store new user calibration files if you update the instrument", but I believe it is related to the calibration performed during OPEN-SHORT-LOAD, which could be easily repeated in a VNA mode.

What about (possible) accuracy degradation in a spectrum analyzer mode? I assume, there are some manufacturer's correction factors, which typically reduce internal errors (due to linearity, drifts etc.). Are they maintained, discarded, or switched to default ones?

Or maybe there is nothing to worry about?
The Caution only applies to existing user saved VNA Cal's and has no impact on other functionality.
The preexisting VNA Cal files preloaded at the factory remain for basic functionality.

All this implies you already have a set of VNA Cal standards on hand and can repeat and reload them.
Did anyone experience any degradation in the accuracy after reflash?
Yes, only in VNA mode.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline dc8wan

New Firmware-Version (V3.2.2.3.2  2020/09/18) is available for SVA3015X, SVA3032X and SVA3075X.

Notice:
This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.

New Functionality:

Add user defined VNA calibration kits
    Add VNA 0 span calibration

Solved Issues:

Fix avg power bug in EMI Mode
    Fix amplitude bug in AMA Mode
    Fix peak search bug in SCPI command

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?CateIdss=16

The following users thanked this post: tautech, hendorog, tubularnut, indeterminatus

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
New Firmware-Version (V3.2.2.3.2  2020/09/18) is available for SVA3015X, SVA3032X and SVA3075X.

Notice:
This firmware must be upgraded from V2.1.1.1.12a or later. If your SVA1000X has an earlier version, please update to V2.1.1.1.12a first and then proceed to update to the latest version.

New Functionality:

Add user defined VNA calibration kits
    Add VNA 0 span calibration

Solved Issues:

Fix avg power bug in EMI Mode
    Fix amplitude bug in AMA Mode
    Fix peak search bug in SCPI command

https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?CateIdss=16

That is great news - about the user defined cal kits.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
;D
Ask and you shall receive !  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
;D

In that case I'm asking for the new Landrover Defender next !

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
;D

In that case I'm asking for the new Landrover Defender next !
:P
Siglent might spring for a rickshaw !
Tweaks to SW are easier.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Emo

• Regular Contributor
OK,

Did the upgrade on my SVA1032X(ex SSA). Was suspicious at first as the file size was several MB less than the previous update.
At first I couldn't find the user calibration entry. However pressing the user 1 or user 2 again, a new menu appears where the parameters can be entered.
Now back to the theory to find out how to determine the proper values on my calibration set.

Eric

Offline goleszek

• Contributor
Does anyone think, that Siglent engineers responsible for firmware development of SVA1032X VNA may occasionally look into the content of this forum and look for kind of inspiration for the next releases of the product...? :)

If this is a case, I do have some proposals, which (for me) may enhance device functionality:
1. Impedance (Z) and admitance (Y) results presentation format, both during S11 and S21 measurement. It is present with Smith chart, but not in a trace mode
2. Direct save of current trace(s) to s2p file (local and USB)

Any other ideas?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf