Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 329071 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1375 on: June 10, 2020, 07:44:55 am »
Is there a way to directly report to Siglent this kind of potential bugs/strange issues?
Done !
Thanks for your clear write up of it.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1376 on: June 13, 2020, 12:34:40 pm »

Offline sequoia

• Supporter
« Reply #1377 on: June 15, 2020, 06:36:33 pm »
Product Type: SPD3303X-E
Software version: 1.01.01.02.05
Hardware version: V3.0

SCPI support appears to be broken, several SCPI commands (as documented in the manual) do not work, when sent to device terminated with NL (ASCII 0x0a) character:

*SAV
*RCL
INSTrument
MEASure
OUTPut

This appears to be pretty clear bug  since other commands work normally (and against SCPI/IEEE 488.2-1992 spec).

Here are examples of each failing command:

Code: [Select]
*RCL 1
*SAV 1
INST CH1
MEAS:CURR? CH1
MEAS:VOLT? CH1
MEAS:POWE? CH1
OUTP CH1,ON
OUTP:TRACK 1
OUTP:WAVE CH1,ON

When these commands are sent to instrument (with NL as command terminator as specified in the specs), unit responds with "beep" and sets following error:

Code: [Select]
SYST:ERR?
3  Command keywords were not recognized

Oddly enough unit seems to accept these commands, if no NL character is used to terminate command sent to the unit (as reported in this thread from last year: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/spd3303x-e-scpi-interface-issues/)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:45:50 pm by sequoia »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Danjo

« Reply #1378 on: July 15, 2020, 03:21:08 pm »
Hello, I have a sds12052dl+ that I am unable to update.  I have downloaded the ads file and loaded it to an usb flash drive root menu, fat32 formatted.  Once connected to the scope, I initiate the update, the file screen opens and I can see my renamed ads file.  But the scope freezes there and I have to cycle power to free it.  But it does boot back up.  Any ideas to what I am doing wrong.  Also, this unit has software version 6.02.01.07.   Thanks in advance for any help .   

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:55 pm »
Hello, I have a sds12052dl+ that I am unable to update.  I have downloaded the ads file and loaded it to an usb flash drive root menu, fat32 formatted.  Once connected to the scope, I initiate the update, the file screen opens and I can see my renamed ads file.  But the scope freezes there and I have to cycle power to free it.  But it does boot back up.  Any ideas to what I am doing wrong.  Also, this unit has software version 6.02.01.07.   Thanks in advance for any help .
Welcome to the forum.

Just checking with you, your model is SDS1052DL+ correct ?
And you got the new firmware from here ?
https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds1000dl-series

Did you exactly follow the Firmware Update Instructions in the update package ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Danjo

« Reply #1380 on: July 16, 2020, 07:33:52 am »
Yes, that is my model.  And yes that is where I downloaded my firmware and I followed the instructions; I renamed my file to something with less than 9 letters.  I also now have tried a different usb drive.  With this drive it freezes when I press single while I am in the black update firmware screen.  I have to cycle power to unfreeze it.  Thanks for helping med figure this out.  Any c;ue what I am doing wrong?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1381 on: July 16, 2020, 08:11:22 am »
Yes, that is my model.  And yes that is where I downloaded my firmware and I followed the instructions; I renamed my file to something with less than 9 letters.  I also now have tried a different usb drive.  With this drive it freezes when I press single while I am in the black update firmware screen.  I have to cycle power to unfreeze it.  Thanks for helping med figure this out.  Any clue what I am doing wrong?
It can be the USB drive size and small ones are better.
I use 8 GB max and with an activity LED so you can see any activity when the file uploads into the scope.

If you have a 4 GB drive I suggest you try it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MathWizard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1382 on: July 19, 2020, 01:38:05 am »
Hey Tautech what is this glitch or setting problem. I have 1104x-e hacked to 1204, and 1-2 month old firmware.

Just stated the machine, CH2 only, defaulted to 10V/div, something like 500ns or 50ns timebase. AC trigger 0V . So I start zooming out, and it can't keep up at all. Right now I'm on 2s/div, and the trace is just a sliver (timewise), it's still only displaying a few ms wide trace.

So I hit auto. it starts zoomed in around 50ns again, I start zooming back out, and the same thing stats happening.

So I stop at some ms ranges, wait fort it to aqquire, and draw a full trace, then got to 200ms and had a full trace, then jumped to 2s, and it won't draw it, it only draws the 200ms wide trace, centered, and so looks like about 1 block wide. If I zoom back into 200ms, the trace is full width, but I zoom back out to 2s, and it just shrinks the trace, to 1div wide, centred.

Now in the 5minutes it took me to type this, it just managed to display a full 14s wide trace, at 2s/div.

So what's going on, it seemed if I wait long enough at each timebase, for it to draw a full time-width trace, then it was ok, but if I zoomed out faster, it skips stuff, and only displays the trace, from the smaller timebase.

It will say acquiring over and over, way longer than normal, and show nothing new.

The memory depth is at 14Mpts, 500kSa/s, at 2ms, everything should be more or less default, I barely changing anything since hitting "default" last.

I hope that makes sense, I'll snap a pic quicker next time. Any thoughts ? I keep having issues related to timebase or something......

Ran self-test/auto-cal 2 days ago, reports nothing

I hit default, and it's back to normal I guess. But IDK what I could have changed really, I don't touch the settings I don't use/know what they are.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:11:40 am by MathWizard »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1383 on: July 19, 2020, 02:47:47 am »
MW, some usage tips....in no particular order or importance.

@ 50ms/div Auto Roll mode is engaged. Use the dedicated Roll mode button for a very different experience if you need slow timebase settings.
Each time you change timebase the Roll mode acquisition starts again.
Keep the Trigger DC coupled....only on rare occasions we need an AC coupled trigger.
Use the blue Pint button for screenshots straight to a USB stick.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Danjo

« Reply #1384 on: July 20, 2020, 01:58:29 pm »
Sds1052dl+ firmware update issues

I tried updating with a 1gb USB drive to no avail.  I did notice a peculiarity; when attempting to update the scope with the USB formatted in fat, the scope opens the file manager page and I can see the firmware update, but it freezes there and I must cycle power to unlock it.  When attempting with the USB formatted with fat32 the scope freezes at the initial black screen when I press the single button.  I am not sure if this info can help any, but it is new information. I have also tried loading the file onto the USB from another computer, same conclusion.  Any idea what my next course of action should be?  Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:14:10 pm by Danjo »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: July 20, 2020, 04:18:27 pm »
Change USB disk. Have you seen my pm?

Offline Fratink

• Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: Today at 05:19:30 am »
Hey @tautech (or anyone else that might know),

I have a SDS1202X-E that I just received a few days ago.  It has the latest firmware.

I'm working on a automotive application, specifically working with ISO9141 for my car.  I captured a sequence of responses from my car to decode and I couldn't get that decoding to work on the scope.  It doesn't appear that the scope is even attempting to decode the serial signal.  My baud is set correctly (10.4k), decode level is set midway on signal, but no go.  I attached a couple pictures to show what I was capturing. 

I also tried setting it to decode uart but this also didn't work, where I would have expected at least some error to be displayed.

I think this post might be related: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1202x-e-impressions-and-a-couple-of-bugs-to-be-aware-of/
Any idea if this is fixed in the latest firmware?  I had my scope probe set to 10x and only found this post after attempting this in the car.

Thanks!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Re: Decoding 101
« Reply #1387 on: Today at 08:23:41 am »
Hi Fratink
In preparing a reply I was under the impression most vehicles used CAN....how wrong was I !  :palm:

Just a look at this page a bit later put me straight and scrolling down to the table Vehicle Messaging Protocols shows a few in common use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_bus
So when looking up some links for ISO9141 I stumbled on another Wikipedia page with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
ISO 9141-2. This protocol has an asynchronous serial data rate of 10.4 kBaud. It is somewhat similar to RS-232; however, the signal levels are different, and communications happen on a single, bidirectional line without additional handshake signals. ISO 9141-2 is primarily used in Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles.

RS-232 is considered similar to UART so that's what I'd initially try which it seems you have.

For any protocol we must determine what the idle state is in relation to the data packet and for most it is idle high therefore the first edge of all packets is falling so it's best to set our trigger for such.

I like to start by obtaining rock solid triggering on the edge of any old packet and for this to happen you require 2 very simple settings to be correct:
Edge, already mentioned and the prevention of retriggering until after any packet has finished.
This is accomplished by first determining the widest packet and setting trigger Holdoff for a little more.

How to do it.
Set a timebase with a few packets displayed, it doesn't matter that triggering isn't stable and press Run/Stop.
Find the widest packet and in the timebase you are using count the graticules that packet is covering. Multiply this count by the timebase setting and you have your holdoff value.
Now, in the Trigger Setup menu with the correct edge set and holdoff sufficient until after the packet is finished press Run/Stop and you should have rock solid stable triggering. Don't proceed until you have.

Now it's time to make settings to decode, first by selecting the correct protocol, baud rate, assigning channels and setting thresholds then engage decode Display.
Next, depending on the timebase chosen will determine how many packets are displayed and if there is enough room on the decode line to show the decoded result.
We can use the H Pos control to shift the trigger position left so to fit the result on the display or preferably zoom out so many packets are displayed and then engage Zoom for a dual timebase split display where we will have many packets in one window and just a portion of these in the zoomed display.
In the zoomed portion we can use the H Pos to pan through the whole primary timebase inspecting decoded results all the way.

So if you have your head around all that we can look at methods to capture the very start of a stream or packets within it.
For the first packet we could just use Single shot so when the packet stream starts (key switch or whatever) we capture the edge of the first packet and then as many as the scopes memory can hold.
This is where a slow primary timebase is your friend as memory depth is greatest and it's not unusual to capture 100's of packets to then be inspected with the zoomed timebase.
Packets within a stream need use of protocol trigger settings which are somewhat more involved which set specific bits on which to trigger on.

Sounds hard but it's not and procedures like these are the real power of a DSO with good memory depth.

I'll leave you with a selection of screenshots with a step by step walk through of how I've done it before preparing this reply albeit they are in CAN.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf