Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 528779 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1525 on: November 30, 2021, 07:33:14 pm »
I had emailed Siglent and the response I received said it did sound like a hardware issue and suggested returning it to Amazon.

I like the feel and use of the scope, heavier than I expected which make it feel pretty solid.  I'll have to see if I can exchange it.

Thanks for the help.
Oh okay. Was about to get one out and check some of the stuff you have seen however if you're to swap it there's no need to. About the GND input coupling....using it removes any external signals....probes connected or not then you can examine if what you see on the display is something in the scope or something external.

Never discount that the scope can't see interference and despite checking for possible sources it can come from another room or some appliance you might never expect.
A year or so back a customer was 100% convinced there was something wrong with a SDS1104X-E we supplied and after several emails a wallwart behind a curtain and several meter away was discovered to be the culprit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Dave2121

« Reply #1526 on: November 30, 2021, 08:33:26 pm »
I've been running it at home in one spot, so maybe something is there.... I'll check GND coupling, and since I'll be shipping it out from work, I'll give it a test there just to see if the noise is still the same.

Amazon's prices fluctuate quite a bit, and right now repurchasing it would cost me quit a bit more.  So it work properly I'd be very happy.

And if you do get the chance to check one you have, I would like to know the result.

Thanks again,
Dave

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: November 30, 2021, 09:03:51 pm »
I've been running it at home in one spot, so maybe something is there.... I'll check GND coupling, and since I'll be shipping it out from work, I'll give it a test there just to see if the noise is still the same.

Amazon's prices fluctuate quite a bit, and right now repurchasing it would cost me quit a bit more.  So it work properly I'd be very happy.

And if you do get the chance to check one you have, I would like to know the result.

Thanks again,
Dave
OK if I get a chance.
Here's the X-U thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-1120-new-sds1104x-u-4-channel-100mhz-1gsas-economy-oscilloscope/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1528 on: December 04, 2021, 07:03:44 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1529 on: December 05, 2021, 11:51:25 am »
https://int.siglent.com/info/detail-54.html    :clap:
Is it good news though? Not sure how these things work in China. It's probably excellent for the bank account of the owners, but what about R&D? Firmware updates? Hackability? These changes has a tendency to change the focus to maximizing profits when they have to answer to the public who want results for their investments.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: December 21, 2021, 07:55:50 am »
Siglent offers many thanks for your support and wishes you all a lovely Christmas and a wonderful 2022.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:36:03 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: flash2b, Mortymore, blurpy

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1531 on: January 09, 2022, 11:56:33 pm »
Hi,

Concerning the demo-board STB-3:

There is a JTAG connector on the bottom-side of the pcb.
IMHO this could be used for programming upgrades, question:
Are there any upgrades planned ?
Especially what "new" decoding patterns concerns ?
Actual siglent scopes could do more decodings like I2S, MIL 1553, SENT, Manchester and so on...

Martin

Offline RikV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: January 12, 2022, 12:14:26 am »
I read somewhere that the SDM3065X consumes some 3W when powered-off. Is this only a stand-by power supply or is the oven of the LM399 kept alive?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: January 12, 2022, 12:44:39 am »
I read somewhere that the SDM3065X consumes some 3W when powered-off. Is this only a stand-by power supply or is the oven of the LM399 kept alive?
See SDM3065X PCB pic here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1329966/#msg1329966
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline RikV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: January 12, 2022, 02:15:54 pm »
Yes, those are nice, rare pics of -part of- the 3056X innards. But that was NOT the question: Is the OOF power consumption just stand-by power loss or is it (part of it) used for some useful purpose (= keep LM399 on temp)? If not, this device does not comply to the latest rules on adapters and STBY power supplies (I may be wrong but I believe that is around 0.5W).
P.S.: Is there already a complete teardown of the SDM3065X on the WWW?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: January 12, 2022, 07:33:52 pm »
Yes, those are nice, rare pics of -part of- the 3056X innards. But that was NOT the question: Is the OOF power consumption just stand-by power loss or is it (part of it) used for some useful purpose (= keep LM399 on temp)? If not, this device does not comply to the latest rules on adapters and STBY power supplies (I may be wrong but I believe that is around 0.5W).
P.S.: Is there already a complete teardown of the SDM3065X on the WWW?

I'm pretty sure that the 0.5W standby rules apply only to commercial domestic devices such as TV's and other entertainment devices. There's no way that test equipment is included in the rules.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: January 12, 2022, 08:06:55 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the 0.5W standby rules apply only to commercial domestic devices such as TV's and other entertainment devices. There's no way that test equipment is included in the rules.

Right, only "electronic household and office equipment" is in scope. This being an EU regulation, there is a lot more loving bureaucratic detail, but the headline covers the gist of it. Test equipment is not covered by the regulation.

Offline RikV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: January 12, 2022, 09:00:29 pm »
That is the kind of reaction I wanted! T&M equipment surely is NO comercial/consumer material.
However, T&M equipment HAS to  fulfill The Machine Directive, unless an explicit exception is granted.

But, still no answer to the point of the question: is the LM399 oven permanently heated?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: January 12, 2022, 09:43:44 pm »
T&M equipment HAS to  fulfill The Machine Directive, unless an explicit exception is granted.

Now you are confusing me.
(a) I should think that the Low Voltage Directive applies to most T&M equipment, not the Machinery Directive.
(b) Are you implying that the Machinery Directive (or the LVD, for that matter) imposes the 0.5W standby power limit?

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: January 12, 2022, 09:59:38 pm »
But, still no answer to the point of the question: is the LM399 oven permanently heated?

Asked this awhile back, the answer was no.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline stenfalp

« Reply #1540 on: January 18, 2022, 05:35:56 pm »

No one else is reporting this same problem so if you can please try some things.

Same problem here.  |O

Offline stenfalp

« Reply #1541 on: January 18, 2022, 05:39:15 pm »
@ "Taking a screenshot with "SDS 1202X-E" using the blue Print button that saves the file to USB pen drive."

Same problem for me. Sometimes saving to USB with Print button works and sometimes the oscope gets stuck.
Product Type: SDS 1202X-E
Software Version 1.3.26
Hardware Version: 00-02
Serial No.: SDS1EDEQ3R4755

I tried to contact Siglent support when I updated the firmare (December 2019) but got no answer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:07:56 pm by stenfalp »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #1542 on: January 18, 2022, 05:45:27 pm »
standby power ?
all my siglent equipment pull 2-4 watt EACH in standby mode,
so i power it all off at once, using a main lab switch,
i dont think the normal 0.5 w rules apply to lab equipment, but i would be happy if the level was in the 0.5w range,
then i would save the trouble with the main switch.
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

Offline stenfalp

« Reply #1543 on: January 19, 2022, 10:20:21 am »
About the problem of the freeze pressing the Print button, I can help to diagnose the issue. I tried with different USB keys, with and without files in them and sometimes the system got stuck and sometimes not. I couldn't find out how to consinstenly repeat the problem.

Thanks,
Stenio

Offline toomuchesr

« Reply #1544 on: January 19, 2022, 01:50:06 pm »
Hi,

I've a SDS1104X-E (HW Version 00-03) which does not start the VNC server anymore. I really don't know since when, because I didn't use it often.

Observed with Firmware 7.0.6.1.26. I upgraded recently to 6.1.37R6 and then also to 6.1.37R8.

With all firmware versions the VNC does not start up.

I tried already to "reset" the scope with pressing MATH on startup. Which kinda worked, the scope lost its settings, but VNC is still dead.  :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline AnalogEngineer

New bugs in SDS-1204XE
« Reply #1545 on: January 19, 2022, 04:44:22 pm »
Howdy,

With each firmware update of the 1204X-E I seem to be getting more bugs and more instability, not less.  Can anyone confirm if these are known bugs or what I can do? I'm also having a frequent hardware issue.

SDS1204X-E
6.1.37R8  OS 7.2 FPGA 11-8-21 HW 1-03

1) Sluggish and unresponsive controls.  At some point after being on about 1-3 min the controls all get sluggish. Changing time/voltage etc takes 2-10 seconds to respond. Reboot fixes - for a bit. This is a brand new bug in 37R8 I have never seen before. Unlike #4 below power still works when this happens but it's happening multiple times a day now. It seems to be setting relate because when it happens and I reboot and go back to the same set up it happens again quickly, while in other settings I never see it. I suspect it's related to very slow time bases (200mS/div or longer) in non scrolling mode.

2) Unable to hold and sometimes make wireless connection. Either it can't make the connection or it constantly drops it. This started about 3 or 4 firmware updates ago. The early version was rock solid.  The dropping has gotten better the last two updates, but the making has not. Router is a nice ASUS AC-88U with up to date Merlin firmware and 8' from the scope. I am using the Siglent TP wireless UB dongle.

3) When wireless connected and using in a a browser the scope is sluggish, takes a long time to load the page, and controls may take up to 30 seconds to respond. I suspect this is related to #2 as it also started in firmware updates after my original purchase. This affects the browser control only and the scope direct buttons and knobs work fine.  This also was not an issue in early firmware revisions but make the web interface unusable now.

4) Frequent scope crashes.The scope continues to work but you are locked out of all controls including power down. This has been an issue since day #1. The scope often crashes. Esp when turning knobs fast.  When it crashes it still displays fine but no knobs or buttons work and the power must be yanked to reboot.

Any comments on these would be most appreciated.

Thanx

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1546 on: January 20, 2022, 09:21:17 pm »
Hi,

Actual siglent scopes could do more decodings like I2S, MIL 1553, SENT, Manchester and so on...

Martin

.....Nobody from siglent ?
Tautech, what are your thoughts about ?

Offline nutron

« Reply #1547 on: January 20, 2022, 10:22:18 pm »
The SPD3303X-E does not save static IPs.

When i change the static IP of the unit and close out the IP settings window and restart the unit , it resorts back to whatever IP the unit had picked before.

I think DHCP works though. But one should not have to set a static IP reservation in ones router so that the power supply uses that specific static IP.

I wrote like two times to the tech support about this and never heard back. Hope you will be more responsive.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:33 pm »
The SPD3303X-E does not save static IPs.

When i change the static IP of the unit and close out the IP settings window and restart the unit , it resorts back to whatever IP the unit had picked before.

I think DHCP works though. But one should not have to set a static IP reservation in ones router so that the power supply uses that specific static IP.

I wrote like two times to the tech support about this and never heard back. Hope you will be more responsive.
Correct, this bug was introduced in the last firmware V1.01.01.02.07R2.  ::)
However I do have a 07R2T1 version that corrects it.
PM your email and I can send it to you.

Hi,

Martin
.....Nobody from siglent ?
Tautech, what are your thoughts about ?
Sorry Martin I forgot to follow up on this and it's a fine idea however just how happy Siglent will be to share their JTAG programming code I cannot say.
I'll follow it up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, nutron

Offline nutron

« Reply #1549 on: January 21, 2022, 01:21:37 am »
The V1.01.01.02.07R2 firmware version of the SPD3303X included a over current protection function which is really great. It might have helped me already.

Would be great if Siglent could also add an over voltage protection function as well.  Maybe use the other arrow key to bring up a menu for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf