Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 525471 times)

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #975 on: January 16, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »
In regards to the SHS806 handheld scope, I have discussed the SHS800 family with the factory. Although this is not an 'official Siglent response' I can say that I doubt there will be many (if any) FW updates to the SHS scopes, at least in the near term. The reason is that these scopes are becoming more and more difficult to build because of obsoleted parts, etc. We do believe the handheld oscilloscope market is an important one so I do not expect Siglent to walk away from the battery scope market any time soon.
Thank you for your honest answer.
Such serious bugs should have been fixed soon after the appearance of the SHS series. Several years have passed, nothing has been done, of course the device is obsolete, buy a new model. No, if Siglent does not correct his mistakes I will no longer buy their instruments and I will not advise anyone to do this.  :--
I'm such a kind person.  >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #976 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:13 pm »
In regards to the SHS806 handheld scope, I have discussed the SHS800 family with the factory. Although this is not an 'official Siglent response' I can say that I doubt there will be many (if any) FW updates to the SHS scopes, at least in the near term. The reason is that these scopes are becoming more and more difficult to build because of obsoleted parts, etc. We do believe the handheld oscilloscope market is an important one so I do not expect Siglent to walk away from the battery scope market any time soon.
Thank you for your honest answer.
Such serious bugs should have been fixed soon after the appearance of the SHS series. Several years have passed, nothing has been done, of course the device is obsolete, buy a new model. No, if Siglent does not correct his mistakes I will no longer buy their instruments and I will not advise anyone to do this.  :--
I'm such a kind person.  >:D
You can be very sure I did report your calls for improvements to functionality to Siglent.
They still offer the SHS in two series (800 & 1k) that share very similar firmware and while they are not big sellers they do continue to sell.
We can only ask again when improvements you and others have asked for will be implemented. The current version 3.01.02.02R7 is from last March so we'd hope a review is due soon. I'll ask.

Reply from Siglent:
We can not confirm the exact time, but we have started to fix the SHS bugs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:30:41 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #977 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:20 pm »
I would also be very interested in what problems there are with these handheld scopes. I was considering buying one of the SHS1000 series (I want the isolated inputs), later in the year. If these scopes are becoming obsolete, perhaps I should look at another brand, unless Siglent has a replacement coming out in the near future.

Edit: I just watched the old videos, showing the triggering problem on the SHS800 series. Does the SHS1000 series also have this problem?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:28:42 pm by mojoe »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #978 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:21 am »
I would also be very interested in what problems there are with these handheld scopes. I was considering buying one of the SHS1000 series (I want the isolated inputs), later in the year. If these scopes are becoming obsolete, perhaps I should look at another brand, unless Siglent has a replacement coming out in the near future.

Edit: I just watched the old videos, showing the triggering problem on the SHS800 series. Does the SHS1000 series also have this problem?
What triggering problem exactly ?
Please describe it and I'll see if it's a problem with my SHS810.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #979 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:38 am »
The problem pantelei4  reported before, with his videos.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg1105079/?PHPSESSID=d6ud1u86e6cle7t4il76qdfgop#msg1105079

Does the SHS1000 series do this? Considering there was a post saying that both the 800 and 1000 series use the same firmware, I'd guess the answer is yes.

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #980 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:10 am »
Yes, it does not scale the captured waveform in the normal trigger mode. Scale the already captured waveform horizontally and vertically only if you press the stop. No other oscilloscope works so stupidly. |O

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #981 on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:02 am »
I was considering buying one of the SHS1000 series (I want the isolated inputs), later in the year.
If I were you, I was considering Tektronix or Fluke, than spending a lot of money on Siglent's misunderstanding. :horse:
SHS806 was purchased only for a small price $ 400 for a portable device with a  recorder. By the way, the TrendPlot also works with oddities.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:25:56 am by pantelei4 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #982 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:02 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/msg1105079/?PHPSESSID=d6ud1u86e6cle7t4il76qdfgop#msg1105079

Does the SHS1000 series do this? Considering there was a post saying that both the 800 and 1000 series use the same firmware, I'd guess the answer is yes.
As I've reported it ages ago, the Normal triggering issues should be dealt to in the forthcoming firmware.

I'm not privy to what will be fixed so all I can do is ask which bugs will be addressed and try to get some info for you guys.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #983 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:07 pm »
Good news!

Our VP of Engineering has informed me overnight that a software engineer is currently working on new FW to fix the most serious outstanding issues. I believe we will be releasing that in the next several months.

After that, his comment was that we will continue to update the SHS firmware at least every six months (will try to do more often) if we continue to have any outstanding issues.

As I said yesterday, we still have plans to stay in the battery-powered scope market for the long term.

Let me close by saying that I believe we have let the SHS family of scopes sit on a back burner for a while and have not done our best job in supporting them and keeping them up to date. We now do have a renewed commitment to the line. We here in the USA have asked for some other improvements and those will all be coming, in one form or another.

If you would like to contact us directly please feel free to do so at
info@Siglent.com

Thank you.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #984 on: February 04, 2018, 09:54:07 am »
SDG5000 series AWG firmware.

Version: v5.01.01.15R5
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4059&tid=15
1.25 Mb

Changelog
1.Optimized PLL configuration
2.Fixed several bugs
a.Enabling Mod on CH2 may disable Burst on CH1
b.Duty cycle error on Square wave with very long period
c.SCPI command cannot adjust the phase difference between two synchronized units
d.Manual trigger cannot trigger both channels simultaneously
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline evgen.05

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #985 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:52 am »

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #987 on: February 07, 2018, 02:34:28 pm »

Online lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #988 on: February 07, 2018, 02:39:06 pm »
New firmware for SDS 1202x-e http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS1002X-E_5.1.3.17R1_EN.zip
Fixed autosetup issue
Wow ! Let's try ...

Is that firmware really for the SDS1202X-E? It says SDS1002X-E.

It seems so.

1002 is simply for the 1000 series 2 channel scopes and 1004 is for the 1000 series 4 channel scopes.

https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/02/SDS1004X-E_7.6.1.20_EN.zip

I love how the scope says "Firmware decompressed. Please restart and wait.."

Instead of e.g. "Firmware installed. Please restart..."

This is a clear indication that this instrument is made by engineers for engineers - the way we like it :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:47:35 pm by lundmar »
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #989 on: February 07, 2018, 03:20:14 pm »
It seem to me that is not  specifically  for 1202X-E .  I'll wait for more info about .

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #990 on: February 07, 2018, 04:00:25 pm »
New firmware for SDS 1202x-e http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDS1002X-E_5.1.3.17R1_EN.zip
Fixed autosetup issue
Wow ! Let's try ...

Is that firmware really for the SDS1202X-E? It says SDS1002X-E.

AFAIK It is.  But please wait real confirmation. I think it is not so hurry to update just exactly now.
I will soon test it with my demo SDS1202X-E

All models:

SDS1004X-E FW's:
SDS1074X-E   70MHz 4 Channel
SDS1104X-E 100MHz 4 Channel
SDS1204X-E 200MHz 4 Channel

SDS1002X-E FW's:
SDS1072X-E   70MHz 2 Channel
SDS1102X-E 100MHz 2 Channel
SDS1202X-E 200MHz 2 Channel

Bolded are normal models in western markets.

EDIT/ADD:
Tested with SDS1202X-E version xxxx.13
Updated using SDS1002X-E_5.1.3.17R1_EN.zip

Remember read instructions pdf included in .ZIP

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:28:19 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #991 on: February 07, 2018, 04:14:50 pm »
SDS1000X-E_5.1.3.17R1 (zip archive SDS1002X-E_5.1.3.17R1) is for SDS1202X-E.
SDS1004X-E_7.6.1.20 is for SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E.

Just look at the version numbers when in doubt.

All SDS1202X-E firmware has a 5 as first digit in the version number.
For the 4 channel models SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E with all their additional features however, the first digit is a 7.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:17:19 pm by Performa01 »

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #992 on: February 07, 2018, 06:21:28 pm »
I got a SDS1202X scope running 1.1.2.15 R10 firmware version.
Is the following firmware update the right one for my scope?
"SDS1000X/X+ Current Version: v1.1.1.2.15R1 | Published?01-10-2018 NEW"

This SDS1000... vs. SDS1202... naming really confuses me.  ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:23:57 pm by rfspezi »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #993 on: February 07, 2018, 06:58:05 pm »
I got a SDS1202X scope running 1.1.2.15 R10 firmware version.
Is the following firmware update the right one for my scope?
"SDS1000X/X+ Current Version: v1.1.1.2.15R1 | Published?01-10-2018 NEW"

This SDS1000... vs. SDS1202... naming really confuses me.  ???
There was a mistake in the X/X+ series (NOT X-E) firmware version # when the new firmware was put online. It was corrected very quickly on Siglent websites.
The current and correct version for X models (8" display) is R10 NOT R1
http://siglenteu.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=4045&tid=15

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #994 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »
Yes . It work with 17R1. On SDS1202X-E
Auto setup flaw seem to be completely gone , and wave update rate is dramatically improved (XY mode and FFT are now displayed more realistic) . Now it's a real killer for competition . :-+

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #995 on: February 08, 2018, 07:05:35 am »
Great. I wonder, @tautech, did they also improve decoding even though they don't mention it? Some time ago I posted some captures in which the first byte of a Modbus exchange wasn't decoded.

Not a tragedy, but it would be better if that was improved :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #996 on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:24 am »
Great. I wonder, @tautech, did they also improve decoding even though they don't mention it? Some time ago I posted some captures in which the first byte of a Modbus exchange wasn't decoded.

Not a tragedy, but it would be better if that was improved :)
I can't check for sure as I'm sold out, demo out for appraisal and waiting on stock.  :rant:

It seems it might be fixed and I mentioned it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds-1202-x-e-i2c-triggering-bug/msg1420132/#msg1420132
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #997 on: February 10, 2018, 07:51:14 pm »
I have the compensation issue on my SDS1202X-E, I wrote to Siglent USA and got a reply, they have offered to send me resistors but said...

"We are familiar with the probe compensation issue. All of the SDS1000X-E products are in specification. There is no specification for “probe compensation flatness” between ranges. When you change ranges, the physical circuit is altered and the design/part tolerances dictate the performance. The probe compensation can be adjusted to minimize the effect."

That seems pretty lame, does Siglent think it's OK that a user would have to recompensate their probe every time they change the vertical scale switch?  Seriously?

Given this is the Official Siglent Support Forum I thought I'd ask the question here by the thread with this issue is here

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #998 on: February 10, 2018, 08:08:36 pm »
I really love the new SDS1204X-E and all its features and in particular its responsiveness and LXI remote programming speed.

After some weeks of use, my only wish is that a new firmware would fix the "Intensity Adjust" feature so that when you turn the knob the intensity would immediately adjust unless, of course, we are in some menu mode where it is used for selection.

I believe Dave also touched upon this in his video. I agree, it's very counter intuitive that when your turn the "Intensity Adjust" knob it does not adjust the intensity.

I hope Siglent will put some attention to this small but important for user-friendly-UI detail.
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #999 on: February 10, 2018, 09:34:13 pm »
After some weeks of use, my only wish is that a new firmware would fix the "Intensity Adjust" feature so that when you turn the knob the intensity would immediately adjust unless, of course, we are in some menu mode where it is used for selection.
I hope Siglent will put some attention to this small but important for user-friendly-UI detail.

In early firmware versions (only for the SDS2k back then) the "Intensity Adjust" knob did exactly that. Many users (me included) didn't like that, as this control is used a lot for selecting items and adjusting values in the menu system. Many of us inadvertently changed the trace intensity quite often. Especially people like me, who virtually never change the trace intensity, started to hate this feature. I certainly did not miss it, when it was gone at one point - but I never requested that. Quite the opposite.

When I noticed there are still people who expect to change the trace intensity at any time without digging into a menu, I sent the following note to Siglent:

The universal control knob is labeled “Intensity Adjust” on the front panel of the scopes, but the intensity can only be adjusted when the corresponding menu item on page 2 of the Display menu is selected. I for one like it this way, because I rarely ever adjust the intensity anyway, but some folks seem to consider it vital to have an intensity control immediately available all the time. Dave for instance uses it a lot whenever he’s looking at intensity graded waveforms. Maybe add another menu item to the Display menu where users can chose whether the permanent intensity adjustment is active or not. 

This was the 4th of December in 2017. Quite obviously, this has not been implemented yet, but it is on Siglent's todo list and up to now, it has not been declined.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf