Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 528773 times)

Offline sng61

• Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1425 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:45 pm »
ok.
At default: Trigger - Settings - Coupling  - "DC".
0-0.37 was captured when I discovered the cursor was lost. I turned the knobs to show the reaction to synchronization and so on.
0.37 - ... This video was filmed after restarting the oscilloscope, and not after twisting the settings. This video is about normal standard normal operation, with the cursor displayed. But using the example of the same signal, for comparative clarity.
If I knew after what actions the trigger jumps to the AC, I would of course say about it right away) But now I will follow even more closely, perhaps with the help of your tips we will get to the reasons for such wonders)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:51:31 pm by sng61 »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: December 01, 2020, 01:02:34 pm »
Is there a chance that you possibly pressed the "AUTO" button at some stage?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline sng61

• Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: December 01, 2020, 01:47:45 pm »
Yes, it is possible. But after "auto" it is still "DC". Default - too.

Over the past few hours, I've gone through all the options for pressing buttons and changing signal display modes during normal operation. But the trigger never hit the AC. After all, I said that such a transition is rare, and it is not clear in what situations. Moreover, the situations were all not unique, without any special settings. Was once even immediately after turning on the oscilloscope (a few days ago, may have remained in memory after the last jump to AC).

I think (as simple user) it would be nice if the developer made it so that the cursor was visible at any trigger settings. At least as an optional setting.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:48:55 am by sng61 »

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: December 01, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »
Ive got the SDS2104X+ with the firmware 1.3.7R5 (should be the newest).

I have random issues after boot, mostly first boot the day.
No buttons or touchscreen react and no lights on the buttons. Screen is there but no signal.
Cant do anything, i waited 10 minutes still the same.
After reboot everything is normal and works as it should.

I tried flashing the firmware again, still same issue.

Does anyone have similar problems?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1429 on: December 02, 2020, 07:50:44 am »
Ive got the SDS2104X+ with the firmware 1.3.7R5 (should be the newest).

I have random issues after boot, mostly first boot the day.
No buttons or touchscreen react and no lights on the buttons. Screen is there but no signal.
Cant do anything, i waited 10 minutes still the same.
After reboot everything is normal and works as it should.

I tried flashing the firmware again, still same issue.

Does anyone have similar problems?

If you have still "return without reason" window open. Just return it. Even there is possible it is somehow "upgrade" reason or not. Just rework it as it was after out from box (if not, imho, not big problem)  and return. There can also be some very rare HW problem. This kind of mainboard assembly process have many many things what can go wrong and problem is hidden so that factory do not meet this problem even when they use short aging system for these.  Also problem can be in psu. Of course because you live in Germany also you can use Siglent own repair center there and sure they repair it or change.
This model demand is high.  But example in Batronix in Germany status for SDS2104XPlus is: "in stock"
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: December 02, 2020, 10:14:33 am »
Heres a video of the behavior.

(deleted)

In the end it goes through the channels, but i cant do anything.

Looks like some kind of self testing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:15:14 pm by VanBudd »

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: December 02, 2020, 11:22:15 am »
I got support from tautech (siglent distributor).

So far it looks like the problem is solved, but only time will tell.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: December 02, 2020, 11:40:05 am »

It have now handled least in two thread nearly like high alarm. It is now nice if you also explain what was reason and solution so peoples do not so much wonder what it was. Also this youtube video now live endless  in web and after then peoples wonder ... oh Siglent is like this. What is purpose? It is now best to explain and not leave open questions around... Please.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:44:52 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1433 on: December 02, 2020, 11:42:31 am »

It have now handled least in two thread nearly like high alarm. It is now nice if you also explain what was reason and solution so peoples do not so much wonder what it was. Please.
SDS2000X Plus recovery package was required and another update with the latest FW.
So far so good, had to try recovery two times.
Second try it boot up normally and everything looks fine.

Time will tell if the problem is solved.
Stay tuned  ;D

Special thanks to tautech for the very fast and kind support!
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:18 am »

It have now handled least in two thread nearly like high alarm. It is now nice if you also explain what was reason and solution so peoples do not so much wonder what it was. Please.
SDS2000X Plus recovery package was required and another update with the latest FW.
So far so good, had to try recovery two times.
Second try it boot up normally and everything looks fine.

Time will tell if the problem is solved.
Stay tuned  ;D

Special thanks to tautech for the very fast and kind support!

What was reason for this episode???
Something happen in "mod"?

It is now best to explain and carefully. There is youtube what whole world watching and look... shitlent. 
It need correct and soon if problem is solved or if mod was reason if it can suspect.

If there is boot problem it mostly is detected in Siglent factory ageing process what include enough run for detect lemons.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:03:09 pm by rf-loop »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: December 02, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
@ rf-loop
If 'mod' caused this it will be a first that I'm aware of but of course this is possible as we do not know the 'mod' process used or even how long VanBudd had the DSO. We only know that the FW had been upgraded to V1.3.7R5 before the freeze problem.

SN# reported to Siglent as they have requested me to do.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: December 02, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »
Video was just for demonstration so the people here can see whats going on during boot.
It was the fastest way for me to show the Problem.
I will delete it the people who can help me saw it, so no reason to let it on youtube.

Same Problem show up again so sadly recovery und update firmware didnt help.
I ordered the scope last week so its relatively new.
I used the python script from this thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-hack/) with scope-ID and just entered the keys.
This and the FW update were the first things i did when i received it, so i cant tell if the issue was there before hack and update.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: December 02, 2020, 12:44:46 pm »
Video was just for demonstration so the people here can see whats going on during boot.
I will delete it the people who can help me saw it, so no reason to let it on youtube.

I used the python script from this thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-hack/) with scope-ID and just entered the keys.
This and the FW update were the first things i did when i received it, so i cant tell if the issue was there before hack and update.

Very good it is now solved and system recovery solve this problem.
Now need carefully watch it and NOT do anything inside system what may even in theory corrupt NAND data and after sure this problen is gone... then ...world of nice experimental things is open....
And if it now  sooner or later even once show real boot problem like have been then it is time to do conclusion...
It is good scope and you have also Siglent own whole EU area repair center near you. They can do all what need. If it next time do something same it is not time to recovery but real inspect what is reason (perhaps leave main board for factory deep look or what they think is wise.   First time I hear this.

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: December 02, 2020, 01:09:14 pm »

Now need carefully watch it and NOT do anything inside system what may even in theory corrupt NAND data and after sure this problen is gone... then ...world of nice experimental things is open....
And if it now  sooner or later even once show real boot problem like have been then it is time to do conclusion...
It is good scope and you have also Siglent own whole EU area repair center near you. They can do all what need. If it next time do something same it is not time to recovery but real inspect what is reason (perhaps leave main board for factory deep look or what they think is wise.   First time I hear this.

As i wrote problem returned.
So system recovery wasnt solving the problem.
I will connect to siglent repair center and let you know what they say.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: December 02, 2020, 01:53:30 pm »

As i wrote problem returned.
So system recovery wasnt solving the problem.
I will connect to siglent repair center and let you know what they say.

Ok, this make it quite clear there is problem in HW or in things what recovery do not handle.
Good it give this sign as soon as now and not much later...

Also tell them (if they do not already know )  this thread here so they take it seriously without extra noob class questionaries what only loose time in this case.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:43:33 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: December 07, 2020, 09:43:02 pm »
RE:  SDM3045x

Is there some way to stop the "milliBel chatter" when using dB mode?  dBm mode works fine, but it is almost impossible to use Relative dB on an analog tape deck, the signals just aren't steady enough and the meter readout is so busy as to be unreadable.

Maybe you could add something to relative dB mode like a manual decimal point selection?  Or a "never drop into .001dB mode" switch?

Thank you.

Offline jbauman

« Reply #1441 on: December 09, 2020, 03:43:09 pm »
 I just recently got a new SDS2104X Plus scope, firmware version 1.3.7R5. The very first project I wanted to use it on has a serial data link which I hooked up to with the intention of decoding it with the logic analyzer UART decode function.

As it turns out this data link is using 125000 baud 9N1 serial settings, but the UART decode configuration only allows a maximum data length of 8. Everything else was configurable to match my situation except for the data length.

Would it be possible for Siglent to add 9-bit data length in a future firmware release?

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: December 14, 2020, 07:16:19 pm »
This is not the most convenient option, but 9bit UART  can be decoded.

In the decoder settings, set  the "Parity" field to "Mark" or "Space" mode. The data will be decoded correctly, and the state of the most significant 9th bit will be displayed as Parity Error (Red color byte). You can understand what is happening on the you UART bus.

But all this is a temporary solution,  decoding 9 bit UART must be implemented!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:49:07 pm by maxspb69 »

The following users thanked this post: jbauman

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: December 24, 2020, 08:25:25 am »
Thanks all for your great support over 2020 and may next year be a fine one for us all.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: merox, Muttley Snickers, 2N3055, tubularnut, Martin72, Coder69, mawyatt, roberthh, KVM2007

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: December 28, 2020, 12:11:16 am »
Hi everyone.
I just bought a new SDS1204X-E oscilloscope. Can any of you help me solve the below problem?

What I observe on my unit and which leaves me rather perplexed is that the noise superimposed on some tracks (channel 2 in particular ... the magenta) visibly increases (up to 7x (17dB)) when the related trace is moved from the center of the screen and positioned near the edge (using the vertical positioning knob).
This happens both with all the channels set in the GND position and in more marked mode, with the channels set in DC (or AC)
As you can see from the attached images, the thickness of channel two (magenta) and channel 3 (cyan), visibly increases when the related trace is placed near the edge of the screen.

Can someone check that?
The test is very fast: leave all the bnc inputs free, set all the four channels to 1V/div and to DC coupling, 100uS/div, acquisition normal, full BW and using the vertical positioning knob try to move the tracks near the edge of the screen.
Notes: shorting to ground the BNC inputs nothing changes and setting the channels input coupling to GND the anomaly persists in a less marked way (as you can see from the images). The unit has the last FW version.

What leaves me stuck and unexplained is why the noise increases by moving the track away from the center and why this issue mainly affects the channel two?

Your help is of fundamental importance to me to understand if it is a HW problem (as I suspect) and therefore ask for the instrument replacement.

Thanks a lot to everyone

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: December 28, 2020, 02:51:29 am »
As can see also Ch3 noise rise when it is adjusted to bottom in your image where Ch2 have much more noise.

For not mess with things before basics have checked.
Have you done self calibration?
It need do so that it is power on least half hour if it have been in around constant room temperature. If it have been just before power on very cold place this time need rise up to hour but in southern EU this is not case. In some northern countries it may be, yes I have tested it in Finland.

After it is fully warmed and reached internal temperature equilibrium (minimum 30min) start self calibration and leave it run untouched. Before self calibration, and this is mandatory, all input BNC need be open, nothing must be connected to these. Also environment must not have very high EMI during self cal, least not near input BNC.

This may affect or not but it need know it is done and it is done perfectly.

Now if this do not change situation and ch2 is stil worst and ch3 also some clearly more fat trace than 1 and 4 it need look more.
First default scope and turn all channels on. (1us div, 1V/div, probe multiplier 1x, DC coupled and so on... just as default is)
Just as your images first is. All channels separately visible very near center.
Take screen shot 1

Keep CH1 and CH4 so that they are near center but bit different so that can see both separately.
Turn CH2 near top so that whole trace is visible.
Turn CH3 near bottom so that whole trace is visible.
Take screen shot 2

Keep  CH1 and CH4 so that they are near center but bit different so that can see both separately.
Change CH2 to near bottom and Ch3 near top (just opposite as previous)
Take screen shot 3

Keep all untouched but now turn Ch1 and Ch 4 off. So that samplerate is then 1GSa/s

Take screen shot 4

Change CH2 to near top and Ch3 near bottom (just opposite as previous)
Take screen shot 5

Change Ch2 and Ch3 near center both separately visible.
Take screen shot 6.

If there is clear sign that Ch2 and/or Ch3 have same kind of situation what was in your previous message images it have some hardware problem. There is so many possible reasons that speculations and testing this and that, tests after tests are waste of time. This is not normal (if it is carefully and right self cal) Depending dealer perhaps you can ask they change it. If they do not accept but your return without reason time window is still open just return.

But these what I ask test may tell tiny bit more what is perhaps going on there. If you do not want do these tests, just make sure sefcal is well and right made and if situation is still as your images then it have some but rare HW problem. There can be small effect but your CH2 noise when it is moved to bottom is so bad I have never seen in this model.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 02:55:01 am by rf-loop »

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: December 28, 2020, 11:11:45 pm »
Perfect! Tomorrow I will have some time and I will proceed with the steps you suggest. I hope to find a solution to the problem (although I think it may be a HW problem).

It's really nice to know that there are people like you, involved and willing to help, so ... thanks again!!

Offline KVM2007

• Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: December 29, 2020, 08:56:47 pm »
I am applying to the of the representatives of the company Siglent as regards the scope SDS1202X-E (& SDS1204X-E maybe).
This model has the smallest memory among its competitors  - 14 Mpts only!
Rigol DS1202Z-E    - 24 Mpts
Owon  XDS3202E     - 40 Mpts
but even it is hardly used due to the missing sample rate 100MSa/s in the hardware.
For example restriction falls to 5ms/div 50MSa/s / 3.5Mpts dual channel mode as far as the hardware does not let us use the entire range 100MSa/s / 7Mpts on this basis. There is always the job we encounter according to the Murphy's law where we would necessarily need missing 100MSa/a at 7/14 Mpts
The restriction is due to ADC HMCAD1511 which has got an internal divider x1/x2/x4/x8 and lets us work with sample rate 500/250/125/62.5 MSa/s
It is impossible to get 100MSa/s without separate generator. How we get 50/25... MSa/s I do not know but this is not important.
I would like to suggest adding optional use of ADC divider x4 125MSa/s, that will help to get 125MSa/s / 7Mpts at 4ms/div for dual channel mode and 125MSa/s / 14Mpts at 8 ms/div for single channel mode.
It nonclassic step of scale 1-2-5 that is why I would like to suggest its activation by option of Utility (page 4/4) - "125MSa/s Enable".
The need is not big but when it arises there is no alternative.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: December 30, 2020, 12:05:57 am »
I performed the self-calibration as you suggested but nothing has changed! Below are also the screenshots you requested.
From them I observe that when I exclude channels 1 and 4 and the sample rate goes to 1Gs / sec, the problem is much less obvious. Why this?

In any case, if you assure me that on your oscilloscope this inexplicable issue is not present (with all 4 channels active and with my same setup!), being still in time to return the instrument (or ask for its replacement), I believe that I will do this.

As a last step, therefore, I only ask you to confirm me that you are reasonably convinced that my unit is affected by a malfunction.

I'll let you know how the story ends ... in the meantime, a huge thank you!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: December 30, 2020, 07:35:38 am »
I performed the self-calibration as you suggested but nothing has changed! Below are also the screenshots you requested.
From them I observe that when I exclude channels 1 and 4 and the sample rate goes to 1Gs / sec, the problem is much less obvious. Why this?

In any case, if you assure me that on your oscilloscope this inexplicable issue is not present (with all 4 channels active and with my same setup!), being still in time to return the instrument (or ask for its replacement), I believe that I will do this.

As a last step, therefore, I only ask you to confirm me that you are reasonably convinced that my unit is affected by a malfunction.

I'll let you know how the story ends ... in the meantime, a huge thank you!

On the image 2 vertical pixel is one ADC step.
Many times noise affect so that it change randomly between two steps some times 3 steps when we are in this voltage level.
If you turn it to faster time scale and set diplay mode dots you see these real ADC samples. This is normal for this kind of ADC and front end also.

Now in worst case your CH2 show there is some kind of noise what is around 6 ADC steps. This is too much, absolutely too much when 1V/div.
This scope have unknown problem. Also it looks like problem is not in DC offset system. Because it disappear when ADC switch to interleaved mode.  (in 4 channel mode ADCs run in 500MSa/s mode and when there is in this case CH1 and CH4 these both ADC run 1GSa/s mode).  Why it affect so much when it change this ADC working mode is unknown to me, of course can speculate this and that but it do not solve this problem at all.

Because you are still inside return without reason time window, perhaps most simple to you is return it or if you want and seller accept, change it due to abnormal strong signal channel noise level when use vertical offset and they handle with swap due to it have men fault at arrive. This what we can see in images is not normal in any case when this scope model is normal health unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf