Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 527346 times)

Offline CharlotteSwiss

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1550 on: January 21, 2022, 09:58:15 am »
About the problem of the freeze pressing the Print button, I can help to diagnose the issue. I tried with different USB keys, with and without files in them and sometimes the system got stuck and sometimes not. I couldn't find out how to consinstenly repeat the problem.

Search here in the forum, it is a known problem. It seems that it is not fixed!  :-//  :popcorn:

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
Re: New bugs in SDS-1204XE
« Reply #1551 on: January 21, 2022, 02:45:50 pm »
Howdy,

With each firmware update of the 1204X-E I seem to be getting more bugs and more instability, not less.  Can anyone confirm if these are known bugs or what I can do? I'm also having a frequent hardware issue.

SDS1204X-E
6.1.37R8  OS 7.2 FPGA 11-8-21 HW 1-03

1) Sluggish and unresponsive controls.  At some point after being on about 1-3 min the controls all get sluggish. Changing time/voltage etc takes 2-10 seconds to respond. Reboot fixes - for a bit. This is a brand new bug in 37R8 I have never seen before. Unlike #4 below power still works when this happens but it's happening multiple times a day now. It seems to be setting relate because when it happens and I reboot and go back to the same set up it happens again quickly, while in other settings I never see it. I suspect it's related to very slow time bases (200mS/div or longer) in non scrolling mode.

2) Unable to hold and sometimes make wireless connection. Either it can't make the connection or it constantly drops it. This started about 3 or 4 firmware updates ago. The early version was rock solid.  The dropping has gotten better the last two updates, but the making has not. Router is a nice ASUS AC-88U with up to date Merlin firmware and 8' from the scope. I am using the Siglent TP wireless UB dongle.

3) When wireless connected and using in a a browser the scope is sluggish, takes a long time to load the page, and controls may take up to 30 seconds to respond. I suspect this is related to #2 as it also started in firmware updates after my original purchase. This affects the browser control only and the scope direct buttons and knobs work fine.  This also was not an issue in early firmware revisions but make the web interface unusable now.

4) Frequent scope crashes.The scope continues to work but you are locked out of all controls including power down. This has been an issue since day #1. The scope often crashes. Esp when turning knobs fast.  When it crashes it still displays fine but no knobs or buttons work and the power must be yanked to reboot.

Any comments on these would be most appreciated.

Thanx

You are supposed to update OS to 8 when using 6.1.37R8 i recall.
https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2021/12/SDS1xx4X-E-Firmware-Revise-History-and-Update-Instructions.pdf

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
Re: New bugs in SDS-1204XE
« Reply #1552 on: January 21, 2022, 05:57:58 pm »
SDS1204X-E
6.1.37R8  OS 7.2 FPGA 11-8-21 HW 1-03

You are supposed to update OS to 8 when using 6.1.37R8 i recall.
https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2021/12/SDS1xx4X-E-Firmware-Revise-History-and-Update-Instructions.pdf
It's not actually mandatory to update, but it is in any case:

It seems older HW models report 7.2 with the latest OS update yet newer production units ex our stock update to 8.2.
This ^ has just been checked.

My old unit reports OS = 7.2 yet all the new features work just fine.

Offline nunoavic

« Reply #1553 on: January 22, 2022, 07:59:17 pm »
Hi everyone! I recently bought a Siglent SDG810 10 MHz Arbitrary Function Generator and it has some problems. Sometimes the software gets glitchy and the output button turns on the LED on the trigger button, but this is resolved with a on-off cycle.

The other issue is when the frequency is low (<30 Hz) and the amplitude is high or the generator is in DC mode on negative voltages, and the output is shorted, the screen goes very dim.
The opposite also happens (when output is +10V) the screen gets brighter but not as obvious. Sometimes this issue is not present and I don't know why.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1554 on: January 22, 2022, 08:48:37 pm »
Hi everyone! I recently bought a Siglent SDG810 10 MHz Arbitrary Function Generator and it has some problems. Sometimes the software gets glitchy and the output button turns on the LED on the trigger button, but this is resolved with a on-off cycle.

The other issue is when the frequency is low (<30 Hz) and the amplitude is high or the generator is in DC mode on negative voltages, and the output is shorted, the screen goes very dim.
The opposite also happens (when output is +10V) the screen gets brighter but not as obvious. Sometimes this issue is not present and I don't know why.
New or used unit ?
Is the firmware the latest version ?
You can get all the firmware for SDG800 here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=21
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nunoavic

« Reply #1555 on: January 22, 2022, 09:58:18 pm »
New unit that came with latest firmware: 1.08.01.15

The screen issue is really weird. I suspect that the screen is using the same voltage rails as the output stage, but the power supply should be powerful enough to supply another 200mA (10V/50ohm=200mA)

Thanks anyway tautech!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1556 on: January 22, 2022, 11:17:10 pm »
New unit that came with latest firmware: 1.08.01.15

The screen issue is really weird. I suspect that the screen is using the same voltage rails as the output stage, but the power supply should be powerful enough to supply another 200mA (10V/50ohm=200mA)

Thanks anyway tautech!
Contact your supplier for a warranty claim as a faulty unit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nunoavic

« Reply #1557 on: January 23, 2022, 12:03:04 am »
The thing is that the shipping costs to the supplier might be higher than the cost of repair. It might be just a simple fix to the power supply and i rather do it instead of waiting around a month before getting the new unit (which might have exactly the same issue, as it sounds like hardware).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1558 on: January 23, 2022, 12:18:08 am »
The thing is that the shipping costs to the supplier might be higher than the cost of repair. It might be just a simple fix to the power supply and i rather do it instead of waiting around a month before getting the new unit (which might have exactly the same issue, as it sounds like hardware).
Well if YOU open it you risk losing warranty !
Talk to your supplier about a RMA ticket which should be with free shipping.

We have dozens of SDG800 in the marketplace and none have the issues you describe.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1559 on: January 23, 2022, 02:07:08 am »
Hi,  I recently purchased and received a new SSA 3021X Plus Spectrum Analyzer from a dealer.  One minor thing that bugged me was the front N connectors had no protective caps on when received.  Shouldn't it have had something from the factory?

Is it recommended or necessary to have something to keep them clean.  When I'm using it a lot a keep N->SMA adapters on as I mostly use SMA cabling.  When I'm not going to be using it for a while I worry about the protruding adapters getting snagged on something in my crowded lab and would prefer something lower profile.

Any recommendations?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1560 on: January 23, 2022, 03:37:28 am »
Hi,  I recently purchased and received a new SSA 3021X Plus Spectrum Analyzer from a dealer.  One minor thing that bugged me was the front N connectors had no protective caps on when received.  Shouldn't it have had something from the factory?

Is it recommended or necessary to have something to keep them clean.  When I'm using it a lot a keep N->SMA adapters on as I mostly use SMA cabling.  When I'm not going to be using it for a while I worry about the protruding adapters getting snagged on something in my crowded lab and would prefer something lower profile.

Any recommendations?
Never seen caps on their SA's but IIRC someone mentioned new stock now comes with them. Will have some new stock next week so I'll check on this and report back.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #1561 on: January 26, 2022, 08:47:22 pm »
NEW suggestion for SPD3303
the timer feature, add a feature to make it REPEAT the program :-)
as it is today, it just run the 5 steps, and then stop.
maybe i like it to run 1000 cycles, or forever ?
as it is today, the timer feature is so limited, very few will find any use for it,
with the ability to run x number of times to forever, the timer will be much more use full, to more people.
I hope this will be added to the wish list.

EDIT: found a bug in the timer function, after the 5 steps, the output goes OFF !!
even if the last step is power on, this is not what i expected
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 04:57:57 pm by oz2cpu »
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1562 on: February 18, 2022, 04:53:45 pm »
I hope this is the correct thread to post a question about the sds1104x-e.

So, I just got one today together with a 1032x generator. Both units are brand new. I've read all these comments/ complains about the fans being loud on these units and sure enough I can hear the fan on the 1032x (although I was expecting to be louder TBH).

However, the 1104x-e is dead quiet. And by "dead quite" I literally mean dead quite.  ;D

I don't think the fan is spinning at all. Is this normal? Is the fan temperature controlled?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 04:59:47 pm by pope »

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1563 on: February 18, 2022, 05:06:21 pm »
However, the 1104x-e is dead quiet. And by "dead quite" I literally mean dead quite.  ;D

I don't think the fan is spinning at all. Is this normal? Is the fan temperature controlled?
That can't be right. The fan in my SDS1204X-E competes with my original fat PS3 in making noise, and it has never been on any speed but 100%.

Online JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1564 on: February 18, 2022, 05:14:26 pm »
The fan must be dead or not connected. I modified the SDS1104x-E fan with rubber mounts and cut away the inner metal grill. I couldn't detect any change in sound level. Good comparison with the fat PS3, I've got it, too.

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1565 on: February 18, 2022, 05:19:44 pm »
This is what I was afraid to hear. I love the fact that it's so quiet but probably it's not normal.

Maybe they changed something "recently"? My unit's calibration date is 2021-03-01 (according to the Certificate of Calibration).

Ironically, there's also a "QA PASS" mark on this certificate document.

EDIT: Software version: 6.1.35R2
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 05:23:48 pm by pope »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1566 on: February 18, 2022, 08:25:24 pm »
This is what I was afraid to hear. I love the fact that it's so quiet but probably it's not normal.

Maybe they changed something "recently"? My unit's calibration date is 2021-03-01 (according to the Certificate of Calibration).

Never seen an X-E of any model without a working fan. Talk to your supplier.
SDS1104X-E fan noise is very similar to SDG1032X.
That SW version is old now and 35R8 is the current version however that has nothing to do with the fan not working. Again, talk to your supplier.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: pope

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1567 on: February 18, 2022, 09:27:37 pm »

Never seen an X-E of any model without a working fan. Talk to your supplier.
SDS1104X-E fan noise is very similar to SDG1032X.
That SW version is old now and 35R8 is the current version however that has nothing to do with the fan not working. Again, talk to your supplier.

Thanks tautech.

There must be something wrong then. The scope seems to function OK althought it does get a bit warm around the knobs/ keys area.

BTW, I did update the firmware but of course nothing changed.

Another issue I have is that when I try to update the OS to version 2, the scope won't recognise the USB drive while I'm restarting the unit. But probably I shouldn't worry about it if I'm gonna return the unit anyway...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1568 on: February 18, 2022, 09:35:17 pm »
V2 must be in the root of the USB stick for the OS to see it and automatically import and install it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1569 on: February 18, 2022, 09:44:17 pm »
V2 must be in the root of the USB stick for the OS to see it and automatically import and install it.

It is. Just an empty USB stick (FAT32) including only the four files (w/o the .pdf) in the root directory. The same stick I used for the firmware update. Oh well...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1570 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:19 pm »

It is. Just an empty USB stick (FAT32) including only the four files (w/o the .pdf) in the root directory. The same stick I used for the firmware update. Oh well...
4k clusters ?
Maybe reformat it and/or try another.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1571 on: February 18, 2022, 10:10:16 pm »

4k clusters ?

I did a few times on a mac using disk utility. No luck but I will most likely return the unit so it doesn't make sense to waste time on this one now.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1572 on: February 18, 2022, 10:17:31 pm »

4k clusters ?

I did a few times on a mac using disk utility. No luck but I will most likely return the unit so it doesn't make sense to waste time on this one now.
OK Mac might have issues IDK but consider a FW update is accessing a particular file whereas for this V2 OS upgrade the USB stick need have bootable access. This can also be an issue with some of our recovery packages as they all are designed to be auto loaded at boot. Had some reports about this with our SD card recovery packages needing to be on a SD card with boot access which is why a SD card configuration utility is supplied in SD card recovery packages.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1573 on: February 22, 2022, 04:04:49 am »
Is it possible to remove the restriction in the program "EasyDMM - 1.01.02.01.03 (Release Date 05.27.17 )" on the amount of information displayed in the "Control" window?
Now the data (Result) is truncated at 1024 characters, and the usual query "TEMP:MDEF:THER:TRAN:POIN? BITS90" requires 4118 characters.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1574 on: August 20, 2022, 03:28:45 am »
Reminder to all with Siglent products to check their firmware is up to date with latest version so to take advantage of any new features and/or capability that may have been added to your products:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf