Author Topic: Simpson 270 Series 3 - resistance questions  (Read 1815 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Simpson 270 Series 3 - resistance questions
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:58:49 pm »
So I got my grandpa's old Simpson 270 Series 3 over the weekend.  I've tested the DC and a small AC range and it is right on - who knows how many years this has been sitting or the last time someone calibrated it!

I can't get the needle to move for resistance however.  I put in new batteries (4xAA and 1xD) and when I switch to the resistance ranges I can read the 1.65V of the D on the leads using another multimeter, but the 4xAA is measuring 8V!  When I measure it at the battery terminals it is 6.5V so I don't know where the - wait - does it have the D also in series for this measurement?  Yep, I see that it in the schematic.  Any idea why the needle won't move when I short the leads?  What should I check first?

• Super Contributor
Re: Simpson 270 Series 3 - resistance questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:32:50 pm »
See the picture in the 4th post from the bottom where it shows the shunt R32 at 50 uA.  How do you set it to 50 uA?  His note says something about 250 mV.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56942

Here is a picture though mine isn't 100% the same.  The R32 is the square with the blue.  Why is it different than the other pots?  How can I adjust it to 50 uA?

• Super Contributor
Re: Simpson 270 Series 3 - resistance questions
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:19:33 pm »
Well, I got it all figured.   This thing is pretty cool.  The resistance was an odd issue, I found out that this meter had the pcb changed for some reason and The zero adjust pot was never soldered to the pcb.  Two solder joints and that works perfect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf