Author Topic: So now that I can get anything I want, what should I get?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: So now that I can get anything I want, what should I get?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 09:41:46 pm »
GPSDO and a distribution amp?

If you want to open pandora's box then start looking at kit in the Metrology section of this forum.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 09:44:26 pm »
The 121GW is my best DMM. I have others.
I'm not sure what kind of prices you're thinking of, but a data logging multimeter like the DMM6500 is a wonderful tool.

That being said, considering the thread title is "I can get anything I want" I'd simply get everything you want. Stuff the bench with high end testing gear and buy a nice classic car.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
The 121GW is my best DMM. I have others.
I'm not sure what kind of prices you're thinking of, but a data logging multimeter like the DMM6500 is a wonderful tool.

That being said, considering the thread title is "I can get anything I want" I'd simply get everything you want. Stuff the bench with high end testing gear and buy a nice classic car.

and don't tell the wife about the Floozie that  goes with the car.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:48 pm »
and don't tell the wife about the Floozie that  goes with the car.
I originally added that to my post, but soon realised that's likely to halve your stuff, not add to it. ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »
Someone tried to sell me a snake in a pub once for £20. Was it that kind of massive deal?  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:38 pm »
Someone tried to sell me a snake in a pub once for £20. Was it that kind of massive deal?  :-DD
I found a snake outside once. It depends on the snake and I assume part of the massive deal is that OP isn't as much of a fan of snakes as his better half is.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 10:26:24 pm »
I found a snake outside once. It depends on the snake and I assume part of the massive deal is that OP isn't as much of a fan of snakes as his better half is.

I sometimes find "slow worms" in my garden. Lovely creatures, that are actually legless lizards. Even though I've handled them, they've never autoamputated their tail.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SteveRosenlund

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 03:46:05 pm »
DC load, microscope, or thermal camera.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 05:55:59 pm »

I sometimes find "slow worms" in my garden. Lovely creatures, that are actually legless lizards. Even though I've handled them, they've never autoamputated their tail.
A few months ago, a friend visiting from the states spotted a snake right outside my back door. I said "No, that's a slow worm", but one of my other visitors picked it up to take a closer look (she does things like that) and it was in fact a baby grass snake. It had probably been after frogs hiding up in the woodpile.

It didn't shed it's tail, but it did exhibit its defence response as advertised.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 06:04:30 pm »
Thermal cameras are cool, too.

Offline pjakobs

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 07:13:53 am »
If that thing was in my house, a mongoose would bei very high in my list.

Gesendet von meinem HTC U11 mit Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, Neomys Sapiens

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:21 am »
If we are talking a comparable, really HUGE deal, I would echo the earlier replies and suggest a first rate stereo microscope. Not something from China but either a new Meiji Techno or a refurbished model made from ca. 1980 to the early 90s, by one the big four: Zeiss, Wild, Olympus or Nikon. You will see so much more, and not just in your electronics, and have something that will bring you satisfaction for a lifetime. Your wife may end up using it too if you don't hide it in the basement.

My mother has a Meiji microscope which she uses in her sewing area. I have an old Wild and would not part with it for gold and frankincense.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:13:11 am by jfiresto »
-John

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 10:22:39 am »
To be fair, $600 china microscopes are absolutely amazing for the price.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-3-5X-90X-Double-Boon-Stand-Stereo-Zoom-trinocular-Microscope-14MP-camera-144pcs-Led/300856_32662536810.html

Sure, you can spend $10K and get a brand name scope. The optics will be better quality and the image a little bit sharper, but really is it worth that much to you?

I reckon for most people it would be a waste of money. The image you get from a $600 china scope is pretty damn nice.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:25:57 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2018, 04:41:01 pm »
... Sure, you can spend $10K and get a brand name scope. The optics will be better quality and the image a little bit sharper, but really is it worth that much to you?

A bit sharper? If you were to spend that kind of money, the difference would be like night and day!

A top of the line, Meiji trinocular, research microscope on their best boom stand is about US$5000. A very good, "routine" Meiji on the same stand, more toward what I would suggest, is a bit less than half that. Either will get you something that is built and guaranteed to last your lifetime – and will be a pleasure to use.

I like to look at things. I think life is too short to do that through a microscope that is largely good enough. Perhaps the OP feels the same way. I know others do. The authors of this article, for example, after recommending a popular Chinese-made, Amscope stereo microscope, end their review by comparing its imaging to an old Nikon SMZ-U. Look at their last picture and imagine which ’scope you would prefer to look through all day, or just look through. That is what you get with a Meiji or big four microscope.

Whatever the OP ends up getting, I wish him and his family a Merry Christmas!
-John

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »

There used to be a used bookstore in LA which I visited, where the owner kept a pet boa in a tank.  I expressed interest, so she draped him around my shoulders and he accompanied me on my shopping for half an hour or so.  He wasn't full grown - only about 5-6 feet, but he still had a pretty impressive grip; when I let him crawl back into his tank, he used my arm as a makeshift branch and worked his way back in, heading to where it was nice and warm near the heater.  I knew I wouldn't get that kind of opportunity very often, so it was a no-brainer...

Offline vtwin@cox.net

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 09:29:46 pm »
My wife said that if I got her what she wanted for Christmas, I could have anything I wanted. So now that she has what she wanted (and what she wanted was a HUGE deal), what should I get?

Barrett M107A1 50 BMG FDE 20"
A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:58 am »
... Sure, you can spend $10K and get a brand name scope. The optics will be better quality and the image a little bit sharper, but really is it worth that much to you?

A bit sharper? If you were to spend that kind of money, the difference would be like night and day!

Would it though?
I think a lot of people don't know just how good china microscopes have got in the past 10 years.

i use a $600 china microscope at work every day, and i have looked through a really nice olympus microscope for comparison.
The china microscope image is clear and sharp and the eyepieces have ultra-wide field of view. I liked it so much i bought my own one for home use.
The olympus microscope did look a little better in terms of image clarity and the build quality was nice, it felt really solid.
But i just cant see why it's worth paying $5-$10k for what seems like, at most, a 20% better experience.

To give an analogy, a china microscope is like a nice $400 pair of Sennheiser headphones and a $10k microscope is like the Sennheiser Orpheus.  Sure, the Orpheus is really nice, but no, i'll take the $400 pair and buy a car with the rest of the money  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:04:30 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline lazarusrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 11:34:42 pm »
So thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, I went more than a little bit crazy and bought a whole heap of stuff. Here are the photos showing the post-snakegate status of my lab.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 11:51:22 pm »
The thermal camera might be handy if the snake escapes inside the house.   :-DD

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 01:57:19 am »
You need to print up some of these!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 02:52:00 am »
So thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, I went more than a little bit crazy and bought a whole heap of stuff. Here are the photos showing the post-snakegate status of my lab.
I do see one problem... so much stuff that there is no surface space left to work. You should have gotten bench DMMs instead  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 10:33:40 am »
You need to print up some of these!
Ooh nice! Do you have the CAD source files?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:48 am »
I do see one problem... so much stuff that there is no surface space left to work. You should have gotten bench DMMs instead  >:D
Look a little closer...

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »
Spread your buys so you wont have all stuff outdated at once.
Newer stuff has always better specs.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 07:05:52 pm »
Look a little closer...

People see right through the keithleys. If it were an SMU he would have seen it.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf