Author Topic: So this is how it starts...  (Read 8223 times)

Offline opabob

• Contributor
Re: So this is how it starts...
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 12:36:06 pm »
... And if you work on old tube gear, you may need a traditional low impedance analog meter (like a Simpson). Some of the measurements will be off with a high impedance meter.
  And speaking of old tube gear, what is a good tube tester for 70's era transmitting tubes?

Thanks,
Why did the Diode kiss the Capacitor.
He just couldn't Resistor

Online Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 01:26:52 pm »
  And speaking of old tube gear, what is a good tube tester for 70's era transmitting tubes?

Thanks,

Hi opabob,

i guess you'll have to build a jig for each type of tube.
(If we are talking of VT4/211, 845...)
Universal tube-testers can't provide the voltages and currents.

Good luck

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2024, 01:37:40 pm »
I don't mind spending money on something that I will actually use a lot, and having a fancy piece of test equipment will make me more efficient at a task I do a lot, or where safety is concerned. Where I skimp and go cheap is on things that I just need once or twice here or there.

In electronics you'll find there are often multiple ways to achieve the same goal. Sometimes you can just make your own device for a specific narrow task that does a good enough job as well. This way you can also learn a lot more.

GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is a trap, but it can be managed.

I went down the metrology rabbit hole briefly and while it was tons of fun and I had a blast doing it. Chasing ppm low drift low noise really gets expensive both in terms of gear and time invested quickly.

I guess this is true for anything. Any time you're trying to extend the envelope, the exponential diminishing returns kick in.

I still love all the volt nuttery that goes on, but you can also look at it from the sidelines and follow it passively.

We are so lucky to have all these awesome folks sharing their knowledge with us part timers and hobbyists.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2024, 01:57:59 pm »
Buyers typically fit into a few obvious categories, such as "cheap, cheap, cheap", "bargain hunters" and "money is no object".
I think I belong to a "more than good enough for the job" category between "bargain hunters" and "money no object".
See my equipment list below.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf