Author Topic: VNA versus SA  (Read 885 times)

Offline RikVTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
VNA versus SA
« on: September 17, 2023, 07:58:01 pm »
To what extent is a vector network analyzer usable as a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator? They of course are meant for different purposes but their application domain is greatly overlapping I gues???

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: VNA versus SA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 07:59:32 pm »
A spectrum analyser typically has a greater dynamic range.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:54:07 pm »
In addition to dynamic range, SA receivers typically have better harmonic/spurious/image performance than VNA receivers. This is nontrivial and usually involves tunable filters / filter banks and multiple conversion steps, but it is worth the trouble for a SA: when you see a signal on a well-designed SA you can generally trust (maybe to 60dB) that the signal is really there and not an alias of something off-screen. Attenuators and preamplifiers are also common to deal with large/small signals and improve matching. These things are less important in a VNA: if you control the stimulus amplitude, you can probably live without attenuators and preamplifiers. If you control the stimulus frequency, you don't need 60dB of preselector attenuation at the image frequency. Therefore, VNA receivers are typically much simpler than SA receivers. Which is good, because you typically need 4/8 of them, and multiplying the filter banks of a SA by 4 or 8 would get very expensive indeed.

I believe there is an option to buy attenuators and noise receivers on the high-end Keysight VNAs, but you pay a pretty penny for it :)

I've also seen a "Spectrum Analyzer" mode that uses Software Image Suppression on the VNA receivers, but I would warn that SIS usually comes with gnarly fine print (like "no signals within such-and-such bandwidth of each other"). It's convenient if you know what you're doing and a real foot-gun if you don't.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:57:59 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:29:41 pm »
I naively tried to use a high-end -hp- 8753A VNA as a SA in my younger days, and it did not work at all well.
The SA is needed when your input signal is "free-standing", but can also be used with its tracking generator (if installed) to get frequency response, etc. (without phase information).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 10:06:44 pm »
To what extent is a vector network analyzer usable as a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator?
Limited.

Needs ? Budget ?
There are instruments that are both SA's and VNA's that operate in different modes for each type of measurement.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 10:46:55 pm »
200% usable because VNA will measure frequency response AND phase response.  SA + tracking generator will only measure frequency response.

However for freewheeling input signal spectrum measurement VNA in general is not usable unless you know what you are doing, or the VNA specifically has SA feature.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 11:05:34 pm »
Yes, the VNA is great for measuring the response of a network or amplifier to the VNA’s generator.
With a reflection bridge, it allows measuring impedance and S parameters.
It is not useful for analyzing an existing signal, nor non-linear distortion products of an amplifier, where you use an SA.
Both devices have their uses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf