Author Topic: Soldering Air Management System for Condo  (Read 6763 times)

Offline radianTopic starter

• Contributor
Soldering Air Management System for Condo
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:40 am »
Hi all. I recently moved into a new condo unit and I'm working on setting up a lab to do a bit of electronics development. My condo is small and my "lab" (which is basically a small table) is only a few feet away from my kitchen. I have a need to do some occasional soldering and am looking into a soldering air management (extraction + purification) system for closed environments. I don't like the taste of flux residue in my food (might be an acquired taste). I live in Canada so I can't open a windows throughout the year.

I'm NOT looking for a simple fan with a active carbon filter. These do not work well and only remove ~11% of contaminants. I can link a scientific report if interested.

There a few options out there that I've been considering, and all tend to be very expensive. I'm fine with investing a good chunk of money into something that will protect my health. Here's my options:

1) Weller WFE2ESKIT1 (http://canada.newark.com/weller/wfe2eskit1/zero-smog-volume-fume-extraction/dp/33R1939) with 100 CFM air flow (~$1200). Filter (fine dust F5, HEPA E12, and active carbon/Puratex blend for 99.5% particulate removal) replacements around $200 for 2000 hour supply. Concerned with E12 filter (not as good as H13), but there is an option to upgrade to an H13 filter for a whopping $400.

2) Sentry Air SS-200-FS (http://www.sentryair.com/floor-sentry.htm) with 100 CFM air flow (~$1500). Filter (active carbon and HEPA H13 for 99.97% particulate removal) replacements around $400 for 2000 hour supply. More expensive to order as ships from the US. Sentry Air Systems (SAS) seem to be industry leaders in fume extraction solutions.

3) Metcal BVX-101 (http://canada.newark.com/metcal/bvx-101/fume-extractor/dp/20C2393) with 50 CFM air flow (~$600). Filter (undisclosed) replacements around $150 for unknown hour supply. Cheapest option but I worry about the undisclosed filter media.

4) Hakko FA430-16 (http://www.tequipment.net/HakkoFA430.html) with 100 CFM (?) air flow (~$800). Filter (active carbon and HEPA H13 for 99.97% particulate removal) replacements around $400 for 2000 hour supply. Expensive filters and ships from US.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices? I think I'm leaning towards the Weller. I'm specifically looking feedback on noise of operation (all quoted around 55 dB @ 3 feet) and air purification efficiency.

Thoughts on my strategy?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:11:33 am by radian »

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering Air Management System for Condo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:01 am »
Just turn on the kitchen fan.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:15:51 am »
How much soldering are you doing? I really can't imagine how this could be a significant issue, unless you are bulk assembling products at home?

Offline radianTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:18:09 am »
How much soldering are you doing? I really can't imagine how this could be a significant issue, unless you are bulk assembling products at home?

Maybe 4 hours a week tops. Mostly prototype boards. I should also mention I'm renting the condo and it's a brand new building with sensitive hard-wired fire alarms. It's a $500 fine if I set the alarm. A friend in a similar building mentioned that someone set off the alarm by accident by burning incense. Go figure.

Might have an ancillary need for filtering UFP emissions from 3D printing (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231013005086).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:23:01 am by radian »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:02 am »

Offline CaptainObvious

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:53:38 am »
Personally I've just been using a fan to dissipate the fumes. While soldering in my apartment, I never once set of my fire alarm. (Now the girlfriends cooking on the other hand...)

I've actually been soldering a bit more lately and have been looking for options as well, I think I've settled on what was made in this YouTube video. He basically makes a fume extractor that has the "air pipes" you can stick out your window, theoretically will just blow it outside. (I say theoretically, because the CFM (cubic feet per minute) on your fan will matter)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »
I'd go for the Hakko. They and their media can be had for much better prices on the street as well.

For example, take a look at TEquipment.net (kit that includes ducting & rectangular intake nozzle; version w/ C1571 is the round intake).

Not sure of shipping rates to CAN though.

Also, PM sent (you'll understand why when you open it).  ;)

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:34:23 pm »
I have used the Weller WSA350 before (http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/WSA350/WSA350-ND/1130559) connected to standard plastic dryer hose which is vented to the outside. We attached the window end to a piece of plexiglass so you can close the window on it - which is very handy in the winter. You can easily get the dryer hose and the plastic ends to connect it to the extractor and the plexiglass at Home Depot.
VE7FM

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:11:02 pm »
I'm soldering under a smoke alarm, and it never goes off. I just use an open window and a simple fan, because I don't want to smell it either.  But like CaptainObvious, cooking ALWAYS sets off the alarm if there's any smoke.

Luckily, here it's just 3 smoke alarms in my condo (and cooking will often set off two of them - I can hear the neighbors have the same problem too).  There is a heat sensor in the ceiling that goes to the fire department, but not the smoke detectors.   The heat has to get above 60C or something like that to set off the heat alarm and there will be a charge if there's a false alarm caused by that.

I really doubt that the SMOKE detectors in your condo are linked to the fire department and will cause a response.  You might want to verify that.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:12:02 am »
Just turn on the kitchen fan.

A little expansion on this:

I think he means the fan over the stove.  There are two types, one that uses a filter (or should) and recirculates the air to the inside and the other vents to the outside.

If you have an outside vent you could try and set your table in front of the stove and turn on the vent.  Then you have to worry about neighbor complaints.  If the fan is not strong enough, maybe you could build a temporary hood with cardboard (just do not use your stove at the same time).  So if you have an outside vent, I would try it before you invest a lot of money. Also make sure the vent is clear.

And also if you try this, do it when your neighbors may not smell it, like late at night.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 06:23:35 pm »
I have used the Weller WSA350 before (http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/WSA350/WSA350-ND/1130559) connected to standard plastic dryer hose which is vented to the outside. We attached the window end to a piece of plexiglass so you can close the window on it - which is very handy in the winter. You can easily get the dryer hose and the plastic ends to connect it to the extractor and the plexiglass at Home Depot.

this. they work great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf