Author Topic: Soldering Station, JBC, Ersa or Weller (Update: I´ve bought a Ersa)  (Read 14843 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Soldering Station, JBC, Ersa or Weller : Decisions, Decisions...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 12:36:21 am »
It's not easy... 8)
I'm still leaning towards the JBC, the cartridge system is very appealing, because the heating time is not a completely unimportant thing, especially if you have to solder on high-mass surfaces.
The ersa does not have that and the weller WX/MX system only partially.
A bigger tip does the job just fine for heaver work. If you have some holes that are connected to an internal layer without thermal reliefs, then JBC won't do you any good either (been there, done that). A better approach is to use a hot plate or hot air for pre-heating which both are pretty cheap to buy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Soldering Station, JBC, Ersa or Weller : Decsions, Decisions...
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 12:42:44 am »
Ersa has no cartridge based soldering stations, so do not buy it.
That is very simplistic view.. Ersa performance is very good, and tips are inexpensive. It is also German brand and Martin can buy tips anywhere. Only problem is that changing tips is not that fast as with hot swap cartridge based designs. And that is something that can be important or not.
Not being able to change tips quickly is not entirely true. It depends on which Ersa station you are using.

My recommendation would be to go for the 'older' Ersa RDS80 soldering station and the 80W basic tool that can use the 832 / 842 series of tips. Those tips are indestructable. You simply don't need to buy spare tips ever. Some of my tips are 20 years old and work like new. I have not come across a brand of soldering irons that has better tips than Ersa. I take the ability of a tip to pick up solder anywhere I need it over heating up time or ease of changing it. The Ersa 832/842  tips use a spring & hook system that allows quick changing and Ersa has special pliers (not expensive) to change the tips quickly. When putting a board together I typically use 3 to 4 different kinds of tips.

I also worked with the newer Ersa I-Con series but I don't like the fact that the tips need to be screwed on. IMHO that is a step back. If you do go for the I-con series, then get a screw cap for each tip to make tip changes a bit quicker. The tips click into the screw cap so getting a hot tip out is iffy. My guess is that the I-Con series is more usefull at places where you don't need to change tips while working on a project.

I have worked with Weller and JBC as well and while having the heating element closer to the tip is nice, I noticed that the tips just aren't as good at picking up solder compared to Ersa.
I don't see how fiddling with that spring crap is faster than unscrewing on i-con. Also RDS-80 is a really outdated non ESD safe station with relatively poor performance and which costs way too much for what it is. I-tool tips are extremely durable too, the only way I killed them was soldering in production scale (tens of thousands solder joints). The only tip which needs care IME is a blade tip. If you apply too much force it the thin pointy end, it may buckle a bit, iron plating can get damaged and then it can fail very fast once solder gets to the copper core.
You may call it spring crap, but it isn't. It is a very simple and effective way to keep the tip in place. Either use a small plier or buy the special Ersa plier and you can change tips in seconds. A screw mechanism is always slower. I change tips regulary during soldering jobs and I really wouldn't want to use the I-con series soldering iron (I have hands-on experience with that model as well). Requires to put fingers way too close to a piece of hot metal. Give me the spring mount system any time of the day. I don't care it is invented 40 years ago or that it isn't sexy, it works like a charm and it is much safer to use. Also it isn't true that the RDS-80 soldering station is not anti-static. It has a ground point on the front by which you can ground the tip (through a resistor) making the iron ESD safe. But you are always free to buy the Digital 2000A station (which I also have together with the chip tool hot tweezers). The technology used inside the soldering stations is exactly the same though. With a different connector, the Ersa power tool will work just fine on the RDS-80 station for example.

Edit: the video thm_w linked to in the posting below lists exactly the same problems I have found with the Ersa I-con series iron. It is a pity the guy didn't test the Ersa iron with the spring loaded tip holders (like the power tool). I'm sure he would get to a totally different conclusion.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 01:37:15 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 12:47:37 am »
Again, SDG has basically covered all of this.
Ersa might be OK if you can get it cheap, but, in NA it doesn't make any sense as the station cost is incredibly high. Even SDG paid 600 GBP for it. Tweezers alone would be $400 here.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 01:17:28 am »
I have an Ersa i-con 2 since 2008 an I am very satisfied with it. For big things, I just plug in the i-con a PowerTool with 842 tips.
The Ersa 30 that I got in 1971 is still in work condition

Offline VanBudd

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2023, 08:44:54 am »
It's not easy... 8)
I'm still leaning towards the JBC, the cartridge system is very appealing, because the heating time is not a completely unimportant thing, especially if you have to solder on high-mass surfaces.
The ersa does not have that and the weller WX/MX system only partially.
A bigger tip does the job just fine for heaver work. If you have some holes that are connected to an internal layer without thermal reliefs, then JBC won't do you any good either (been there, done that). A better approach is to use a hot plate or hot air for pre-heating which both are pretty cheap to buy.

At Work we have the JBC NASE-Station, with the 115 nano handle and a blade tip i solder most THT components (with internal pwr and gnd connection) without any big problems.
I was shocked how good that little thing delivers power.  With the 210 or the 245 iron and a appropriate tip i never had problems, even with big bulky solid copper soldering.

I think for 260€ this analog JBC station with 245 handle and one tip is a no-brainer: https://www.weidinger.eu/en/p/wl46586
The 210 handle goes for around 60€ and for the tips about 20-35€.
So in my opinion for about 400€ you have a really good setup for most soldering needs.

If you already have the diy weller station, maybe you can just buy the wmrt tweezer, they work really good for me with this station.

If you want a new all-in-one station with iron and tweezers i think there is no really good solution for under ~1000 bucks.
I would look for a used station and buy tips new. I bought my analog JBC dual iron station with stands and handles for around 200€ a while ago.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2023, 09:10:42 am »
The technology used inside the soldering stations is exactly the same though. With a different connector, the Ersa power tool will work just fine on the RDS-80 station for example.

Edit: the video thm_w linked to in the posting below lists exactly the same problems I have found with the Ersa I-con series iron. It is a pity the guy didn't test the Ersa iron with the spring loaded tip holders (like the power tool). I'm sure he would get to a totally different conclusion.
Technology is not the same at all. You can run older tools on I-CON stations only because they have backwards compatibility. On I-CON 2 it's for the left connector only, also works on single port I-CON too IIRC but on I-CON1 which replaced it later you cannot because extra pins on connector are not used. i-tool has an MCU and ADXL323 accelerometer inside it. More expensive v/vario variants have support for non digital tools too.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Mortymore

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 10:46:27 am »
The Ersa doesn't do it for me either. It's completely usable but too many negative points.

One that wasn't mentioned in SDGs video is the stand isn't designed for wide blade or package removal tips. On Pace stands (shown in the image) you can see the U shaped design, it allows you still to return the handpiece without removing them.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2023, 11:18:42 am »
The Ersa doesn't do it for me either. It's completely usable but too many negative points.

One that wasn't mentioned in SDGs video is the stand isn't designed for wide blade or package removal tips. On Pace stands (shown in the image) you can see the U shaped design, it allows you still to return the handpiece without removing them.
Depends on which stand you buy. It's not like ERSA has a single stand. As of most basic A50/A52 stands, they can fit up to about 15mm diameter tips. Special tips for single package type are a waste of money imho. Either dual wield soldering irons, get SMD tweezers or just use hot air.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:23:45 am by wraper »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2023, 06:01:31 pm »
To JBC, to Weller WX system or Ersa I-Con system( don´t know it) ?
Just post your experiences here...
I’m not a fan of Weller*. I have used both JBC and Ersa i-Con 1 and 2 2V at work, and I have the i-Con nano at home.

I prefer the “big” i-Con models (= all except the nano and pico) overall of all of them. The big i-Cons are better than the nano in 3 ways that matter to me, having used both extensively: backlit display, front-panel power switch, and more heater power, in order from largest to smallest factor. They share the same tips, heater, and handle style. I much prefer the Ersa handle to the JBC, which are longer than they need to be.

(The i-Con pico I would avoid: it’s only slightly cheaper than the nano, but is not ESD-safe, on account of using a cheaper heater with plastic threads for the tips. And IIRC, the pico is made in China while the nano and the big ones are made in Germany.)

I also MUCH prefer the Ersa iron stands over the JBC’s built-in stands. I like to have the stand within easy reach, and I hated having to drag the entire JBC station across the bench just to have the stand closer. (I think it’s separate in the really expensive modular JBC models, but not the mainstream ones.) The Ersa stand is made entirely of rubber with a ceramic (not plastic or metal) insert. I like the angle it’s at, I like that the stand is light, and thus easy to move, yet doesn’t slip around because of its design, which makes it grippy on the bench.

The JBC has the advantage of the fastest tip changes, and a MASSIVE selection of tips. But the JBC tips cost so much that actually taking advantage of that selection would cost a fortune. And to add insult to injury, those expensive JBC tips don’t last as long as Ersa tips, which mostly cost a lot less. (Like €30 for a JBC chisel vs €10 for an Ersa chisel. Even if you factor in the €5 screw holder thingie — I totally agree you should get one for each tip — it’s still half the price, and if you should ever wear out the tip, you can still reuse the holder.

If I were going to buy one now, I’d probably buy the i-Con 2, to enable both dual irons for grabbing chip resistors and stuff (instead of tweezers), and to be able to have two irons with different tips at the ready. (I’d want this even with a JBC.)

Despite the Ersa not being a cartridge heater system, the real-world performance is outstanding, and feels indistinguishable from the JBC in actual use.

I’d love to test the Pace ADS200 and see how it stacks up. I have a Pace desoldering station and really like it. While it doesn’t have the sheer heating power of Ersa’s desoldering handpiece (x-tool vario, I believe it’s called) for the i-Con stations, the Pace vacuum pump is far, far better, and I find it to be much better at clearing holes. (And the Ersa desoldering tips and supplies like filters are crazy expensive!)

I haven’t used JBC’s desoldering tool, since I haven’t worked anywhere that had one. (Nor have I used the very latest Weller desoldering tools. I have used older ones and they were awful compared to Pace.)

*The one thing Weller does best is having hands down the softest cable of any soldering iron I’ve ever used. Everyone else should learn from this!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 04:16:01 pm by tooki »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2023, 06:18:27 pm »
I also worked with the newer Ersa I-Con series but I don't like the fact that the tips need to be screwed on. IMHO that is a step back. If you do go for the I-con series, then get a screw cap for each tip to make tip changes a bit quicker. The tips click into the screw cap so getting a hot tip out is iffy. My guess is that the I-Con series is more usefull at places where you don't need to change tips while working on a project.
FWIW, the latest Ersa, the i-Con Trace, uses bayonet-mount tips. It’s a strange beast made specifically for traceable production manufacturing, so the tips even have little QR codes on them so you can use the app to keep track of what is being used.  ::) But anyway, it eschews the screw tips.

With that said, with a separate tip holder for each tip, changing tips on a standard i-Con isn’t difficult at all even when hot, though it’s not as easy as a JBC or similar.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2023, 06:24:41 pm »
FWIW, the latest Ersa, the i-Con Trace, uses bayonet-mount tips. It’s a strange beast made specifically for traceable production manufacturing, so the tips even have little QR codes on them so you can use the app to keep track of what is being used.  ::) But anyway, it eschews the screw tips.

With that said, with a separate tip holder for each tip, changing tips on a standard i-Con isn’t difficult at all even when hot, though it’s not as easy as a JBC or similar.

Traceable production manufacturing that relies on phone for setup....
There is no hope for us....  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tomud

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2023, 09:06:05 pm »
I said you can use the app, not that you must. The app is not the only way to set it up, I think the idea is primarily central management, like JBC and others also have.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2023, 09:41:24 pm »
I said you can use the app, not that you must. The app is not the only way to set it up, I think the idea is primarily central management, like JBC and others also have.

Yeah I looked it up... But still I cringe at "phonification" of absolutely everything.....

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2023, 09:53:12 pm »
I’d love to test the Pace ADS200 and see how it stacks up. I have a Pace desoldering station and really like it. While it doesn’t have the sheer heating power of Ersa’s desoldering handpiece (x-tool vario, I believe it’s called) for the i-Con stations, the Pace vacuum pump is far, far better, and I find it to be much better at clearing holes. (And the Ersa desoldering tips and supplies like filters are crazy expensive!)

I haven’t used JBC’s desoldering tool, since I haven’t worked anywhere that had one. (Nor have I used the very latest Weller desoldering tools. I have used older ones and they were awful compared to Pace.)

*The one thing Weller does best is having hands down the softest cable of any soldering iron I’ve ever used. Everyone else should learn from this!
X-tool vario only works with V/Vario variants of I-CON. ICON-2 supports old X-tool (from previous generation of stations like digital 2000) which is not good IMHO. Handle heats up like hell if you desolder a lot of pins. Cleaning the tip is a chore too. Never used X-tool vario but looks like way more thought has gone into it's design.

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2023, 09:59:32 pm »
I’m not a fan of Weller

I´m using the WX system since 5yrs at work and like it.
But the costs...
I am still undecided, but it is an investment for the next few years if not longer - And you are then tied to the system.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2023, 12:37:48 am »
To JBC, to Weller WX system or Ersa I-Con system( don´t know it) ?
Just post your experiences here...
I’m not a fan of Weller*. I have used both JBC and Ersa i-Con 1 and 2 at work, and I have the i-Con nano at home.

I also MUCH prefer the Ersa iron stands over the JBC’s built-in stands. I like to have the stand within easy reach, and I hated having to drag the entire JBC station across the bench just to have the stand closer. (I think it’s separate in the really expensive modular JBC models, but not the mainstream ones.) The Ersa stand is made entirely of rubber with a ceramic (not plastic or metal) insert. I like the angle it’s at, I like that the stand is light, and thus easy to move, yet doesn’t slip around because of its design, which makes it grippy on the bench.

While I love the performance of my JBC, I find the ergonomics leave much to be desired, especially if you cannot work with the station directly beside you.

Iron holder on the right side of the station makes for a longer reach & using the spring widget to hold the cable out of the way makes the cable too short, especially with the cable socket on the rear of the station. Really?

I ended up buying an AD-SE stand and making a custom extension cable in order to leave the station itself at the far right side of my bench.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2023, 01:27:33 am »
I have an Ersa i-Con 2V. It's good overall. Tip change is easy, I have a 3d printed holder where I put various tips with collars. Changing them hot is no problem-- unscrew tip, grab it with tweezers, put on stand, take new tip, put on iron and screw it in.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 04:30:46 pm »

X-tool vario only works with V/Vario variants of I-CON. ICON-2 supports old X-tool (from previous generation of stations like digital 2000) which is not good IMHO. Handle heats up like hell if you desolder a lot of pins. Cleaning the tip is a chore too. Never used X-tool vario but looks like way more thought has gone into it's design.
Yep, the X-Tool Vario on the 2V is what we have at work, so what I said is referring to that. I have never used the original X-tool.

Compared to my Pace, the vacuum is weak, the solder trap is tiny, and the filters are crazy. (It uses a sintered brass filter in the handpiece and then a tiny disposable inline filter in the hose. In contrast, Pace uses felt in the handpiece, and a much larger, replaceable-element inline filter in the hose.)

For those that aren’t familiar with them:
- Pace uses a powerful vacuum pump that is briefly run at double power after pressing the electronic trigger on the handpiece (or a foot pedal if you prefer) to provide a burst of vacuum, then continues at normal power indefinitely as long as the button is held. This gives plenty of time to perform the “circling the pin under vacuum” technique to clear the hole and cool it so the pin can’t re-adhere.
- Ersa uses a weaker pump to draw a vacuum ahead of time, with the trigger in the handpiece being a pneumatic valve. When you press it, it opens towards the tip so that there’s a sudden rush of air into it. The pump detects that the pressure in the system has returned to ambient and turns the pump back on. However, it’s weaker overall, and it doesn’t run continuously even if you hold the trigger — every few seconds, it stops the pump for a second.

As for handpiece shape, I prefer the Pace pencil-style desoldering handpiece, but this is truly a matter of taste.

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2023, 11:21:47 pm »
There is a hakko FM202 station in ebay "fleamarket" avaible, with two soldering irons and several partly unused tips.
For 200€...
What I saw on the hakko site, tihs station is discontinued but that is nothing to worry.
What are your thoughts on it ?
I would buy it as a kind of interim solution because I need a little more power and that now.
For long time I would have another system.

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2023, 11:02:05 am »
I used JBC in uni and built a custom station that works with all the Weller WX cartridge tips before. I also own a Hakko FX-950 (the analog one) as well as the Goot RX-802AS.

And I ended up with Metcal with no intention of trying anything else ::)

The the Hakko and Goot thermal recovery is not as good as the JBC and Weller.

The biggest gripe I have with JBC and Weller is the plating of their cartridge tips aren't very durable. It degrades quite quickly and doesn't wet that well after 6-9 months of moderate use. The Hakko plating is basically bullet proof in contrast.

IMO Metcal thermal response is better than Weller and JBC, and their tip plating is on par with Hakko.

Obviously the matcal can't change tip temperature, but I rarely (never, even) find it to be an issue. It just works, and because even their fine tips can melt solder to a coin quickly, the need to bump up the temperature for larger work simply does not exist. 

I now use a MX-5200 for the regular handpiece and Hakko FX-1003 tweezers, an old second hand MX-500 for the micro iron, and a Hakko FR-410 for desoldering. I think this is my end game.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline 4thDoctorWhoFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2023, 03:44:56 pm »
Obviously the matcal can't change tip temperature, but I rarely (never, even) find it to be an issue. It just works, and because even their fine tips can melt solder to a coin quickly, the need to bump up the temperature for larger work simply does not exist. 

The Metcal has 3 different tip temperatures.  The have 600, 700 & 800 degree tips.  Since the tips heat up almost instantly, it's not big deal to swap in a higher or lower temp. tip if needed.

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2023, 10:50:34 am »
As a long time user of Weller soldering stations of the lower cost variety, originally at work the old TCP series (the ones with the magnetic bit and switch) and latterly at home a WE1010, I think the issue is that basically that the lightweight bits on these irons just do not have enough mass to quickly transfer heat to the joint on anything more than a 1 to 2mm wide track. They are not well suited to soldering large areas of copper track/ground, despite being three times the Wattage rating of a humble Antex XS25.

By contrast, I have an Antex XS25 and also an M12, these are basic "home user" soldering irons with quite heavy bits (by comparison to the tiny hollow bits of the WE1010) and no temperature control. However, other than tending to run a little hot (even for lead free solder), they are still very effective at soldering even quite delicate circuit boards, including SMD stuff with the little M12. With the XS25 and a large bit, it will solder surprisingly large items without significant delay to heat the part.

For my use, the WE1010 is reasonably OK for general purpose assembly work on through hole and SMD print boards, especially as it doesn't over heat, although for a quick repair job the basic Antex irons are pretty hard to improve on.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2023, 01:51:05 pm »
Another long time weller user here. Switched to Ersa i-Con 1V some years ago. Also bought the tweezers and a load of tips over time.
Switching tips is really fast, provided you get the screw ring for all tips and also get or make enough brass pins to put the swapped-out hot tips on. You don't want to burn yourself.

Now since I have 2 tools, and the 1V only has one "hole", an extension was needed. I did not like the fact that on the i-Con 2V both tools are on all the time, so decided to keep the 1V and make an external tool switcher, allowing me to switch between the tweezers and the regular iron through a push on a button (can be found here). The tools heat up very fast, making all this transparent and very easy.
In all rather satisfied with Ersa.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2023, 03:11:06 pm »

The Metcal has 3 different tip temperatures.  The have 600, 700 & 800 degree tips.  Since the tips heat up almost instantly, it's not big deal to swap in a higher or lower temp. tip if needed.

I use the 700 series for all my tips. They will solder anything you throw at it. I haven't had the urge or need to try anything else.

Offline 4thDoctorWhoFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2023, 05:27:57 pm »

I use the 700 series for all my tips. They will solder anything you throw at it. I haven't had the urge or need to try anything else.

Same here.   I also mostly use the 700 series.  However, on occasion with a really old delicate PCB, I will use the 600 series as not to damage the delicate old pads & traces.
I have a few of the 800 series but I don't think I have ever needed them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf