Author Topic: Solve PSG9080 black screen caused by firmware upgrade  (Read 3755 times)

Offline JunceTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
Solve PSG9080 black screen caused by firmware upgrade
« on: March 03, 2022, 06:00:17 am »
When you use a new PSG9080 to upgrade the old version of the firmware, there is a black screen that cannot be used.

You can power off the PSG9080 first, then keep pressing the number button 8, then power on the PSG9080, then briefly press the power button once to release, and finally release the number button 8, you can get the firmware upgrade interface.

Then you can open our firmware upgrade software

Software download address:
68.168.132.244/PSG9000/FWUpd2.exe
Firmware download address:
68.168.132.244/PSG9000/P9080swm.bin

1. Open the computer port corresponding to PSG9080
2. Open and select the firmware upgrade file
3. Run
4. The operation is successful
5. Click to exit
6. After the appeal steps are completed, the machine is powered off and restarted

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 02:38:08 am by Junce »

The following users thanked this post: mvegh

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Re: Solve PSG9080 black screen caused by firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:04:05 am »
When you use a new PSG9080 to upgrade the old version of the firmware, there is a black screen that cannot be used.

As I know there are at least two PSG9080 generator versions. One version uses STM32F103RCT6 controller for the front panel and another version uses another controller with another PCB layout. Both version have the same PSG9080 name, the same version name and reporting the same firmware and FPGA version. But of course they are different and firmware incompatible with each other.

For what hardware version your manual is intended for? And what hardware version is compatible with firmware from your link?

Attempting to upgrade firmware when you don't know exactly if it is compatible with your hardware leads to device brick. And black screen issue.

The problem here is that manufacturer has exactly the same device name for very different and incompatible hardware versions. And the same thing for firmware - different firmware version have exactly the same version name. That's a big mistake which leads to device brick issue, because there is no way for the user to distinguish different hardware and firmware versions.

by the way, the software check shows that the latest firmware version is still 1.20 which never changed from 2020 year:
http://68.168.132.244/psg9ver.txt

As you can see this is reported from the same server on which you place a new firmware... So, why it didn't show that update?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:41:53 am by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: Junce

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:06:12 am »
For example the first picture is a front panel PCB of my PSG9080.
And the second picture is a front panel PCB of fjalvingh PSG9080.

As you can see they very different, with very different layout and it seems that the second one microcontroller is not STM32.

But both have name PSG9080, both have the same version for firmware and hardware. And both have the same display, buttons and knob.

So, for what hardware version your new firmware is intended for?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:10:54 am by radiolistener »

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 03:14:04 am »
When you have an old machine in your hand, and then flash the new firmware, resulting in a black screen, you can flash back to the old firmware to solve the black screen problem

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 03:18:14 am »
Thank you very much for your reply,
The so-called old firmware corresponds to the product of the STM chip
The new firmware corresponds to the new chip and the new layout of the product
Therefore, the new firmware and the old firmware cannot be randomly flashed. They must correspond to each other, otherwise there will be a black screen.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:07:22 pm »
Could you please share links with firmware for old STM version and for a new version?

For example:
1) Old STM version, download link: ...
2) New version, download link ...

It will help to find proper firmware.

By the way, what is reason for a new hardware version? What type of CPU is used in a new version?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:43:51 pm by radiolistener »

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 03:39:11 am »
The 9080 firmware upgrade method after about August 2021:
Software download address:
68.168.132.244/PSG9000/FWUpd2.exe
Firmware download address:
68.168.132.244/PSG9000/P9080swm.bin

9080 firmware upgrade method before August 2021:
Firmware upgrade package:
68.168.132.244/PSG9080_Firmware_upgrade.zip

The reason for the new hardware version is because of the cost. The price of the original chip is too crazy. We have to replace the hardware of the product, so the new firmware and the old firmware cannot be refreshed at will. They must correspond to each other, otherwise a black screen will appear

The following users thanked this post: radiolistener

Offline view63@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 06:29:12 am »
[img]hello friends

i need urgent help , i accidentally a firmware of joy company on my new juntek psg9080

now i stuck in a loop and restart again and again i try the p9080swm and it did not work , i try to email the company

i guess what they sent me to here , so rood , this is why i never buy cheap  company again   .

there is a video , but i cant add it to the post
my unit is 2 days old .

thank you

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 03:22:28 am »
See what you mean, as far as I know, now there are three versions of PSG9080 instruments, your instrument is about what time in one's hand, to estimate the corresponding is what firmware version, JOY of firmware is the old version of the firmware, so his brush with the new machine and old version of the firmware, leads to the phenomenon of black screen, need to do is, Confirm your instrument is which version, and then swipe the corresponding version of the firmware, you can use normally.

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 03:26:31 am »
[img]hello friends

i need urgent help , i accidentally a firmware of joy company on my new juntek psg9080

now i stuck in a loop and restart again and again i try the p9080swm and it did not work , i try to email the company

i guess what they sent me to here , so rood , this is why i never buy cheap  company again   .

there is a video , but i cant add it to the post
my unit is 2 days old .

thank you
I will sort out the firmware links of the three versions later, and sort out the corresponding instrument versions and firmware versions. You can try

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 01:35:15 am »
5.The black screen caused by the firmware upgrade cannot enter the main interface or is always in the boot interface solution
a.Cause
Flashing different versions of the firmware to different versions of the machine will cause problems such as program confusion and black screen.

b.Avoid flashing the wrong program
Before flashing the firmware program, you can consult the after-sales customer service to see if the product has the latest firmware program, and consider whether it needs a firmware upgrade. Be careful not to download firmware programs on non-official websites and other platforms for flashing.

c.Method of liberation
When there is a problem, you can flash back the firmware of the corresponding version of the instrument; if you cannot identify the version of the instrument, you can contact the after-sales customer service and provide the serial number of the product and which version of the firmware was flashed. The machine and the corresponding version of the firmware, and then upgrade the firmware.

d.Different versions of firmware download links
PSG9000 series firmware upgrade compressed package download link 1:
http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/Firmware_upgrade_version_1.rar

PSG9000 series firmware upgrade compressed package download link 2:
http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/Firmware_upgrade_version_2.rar

PSG9000 series firmware upgrade compressed package download link 3:
http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/Firmware_upgrade_version_3.rar

Note: [Firmware_upgrade_version_3.zip] is the latest instrument and the latest firmware version. [Firmware_upgrade_version_1.zip] and [Firmware_upgrade_version_2.zip]
Firmware corresponding to two different versions of the instrument respectively. Each version of the instrument corresponds to a different version of firmware, please do not brush or insert other firmware programs by mistake.

The following users thanked this post: mvegh

Offline Gazby

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 11:45:27 pm »
Je remercie Junce pour son explication sur la manière de reprendre le contrôle de la mise à jour sur le PSG9080 quand la procédure échoue suite au téléchargement du mauvais firmware sur ce site : https://joy-it.net/en/products/JT-PSG9080
Je le remercie pour son URL : http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/ qui contient des firmwares qui eux vérifient le matériel avant d’autoriser le transfert.
Grâce à ses conseils mon appareil tout neuf fonctionne à nouveau.
Merci encore Junce.

I thank Junce for his explanation on how to regain control of the update on the PSG9080 when the procedure fails after downloading the wrong firmware from this site: https://joy-it.net/en/products/JT -PSG9080.
I thank him for his URL: http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/ which contains firmwares which check the hardware before authorizing the transfer. Thanks to his advice, my brand new device is working again.
Thanks again Junce.

Offline mvegh

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 09:11:29 pm »
Upgrading the firmware of the Juntek PSG9080 resulted a headache for myself also, because it ended up with a bricked device: the power button lighting up blue with dark screen.

I'm missing a little bit entering RMS values also (not just pk values) so in a hope I decided to flash with the latest (I thought so) firmware P9080swm.bin and the new flash tool FWUpd2.exe that were downloaded from the Juntek site http://junteks.com/newsinfo/720272.html . The process finished successfully but resulted 2 bad days for me.

Then after searching for some help I landed here at this EEVBlog topic. I read all the posts and tried every of the three firmware binaries downloaded from http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/ with no success. Uploading the binaries succeeded, but no change: black screen.

I opened the device and checked inside. It has a Spartan 6 XC6SLX9 FPGA, and an STM display controller. The mainboard has a label with 'JUNTEK(R) PSG-9080 Hardware Version 1.3'. After reading the previuos posts now I suppose it is an old version device.

I had no idea what to do. Then on one of the pictures posted by Junce showing a file dialog I recognized a firmware image of Joy-It. What has it to do with a Juntek device? Having no other Idea I downloaded the JOY-IT_PSG9080_2021-03-10.bin from the https://joy-it.net/en/products/JT-PSG9080 site and uploaded the bin file.

And voila at least the device get back to life and works fine again!

Now weirdly if I turn on the device the splash screen shows the JUNTEK logo, but the About page displays HW VER: 1.20, Firmware VER: 1.20, FPGA VER: 1.20 and Web: http://joy-it.net

So if you have a bricked device you should try to upload all the 4 binaries until success.

The firmware Id codes and the file names are:
5330: 0-256okh.bin
5331: P9080swm.bin
5334: Psg9080swm5334R202a.bin
and
120: JOY-IT_PSG9080_2021-03-10.bin

To tell the truth I think It would be better to live it in the original state.

Thanks everyone in this forum for help to resolve this issue!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 06:02:09 pm by mvegh »

Offline gsorex

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 05:07:43 pm »
Hello!

I bought a PSG-9080 yesterday after several hours of testing and playing around with the functions and settings I switched off the unit with the AC switch and than back on. The instrument stuck in a loop. It is starting to boot with the JUNTEK splash screen and the progress bar is growing, but one bar before the end it reboots all the time. I thought something went wrong with the flash during the turn off and turn on and maybe the firmware corrupted. So I started to search for firmware updating infos and i found this topic. I have tried all firmware files above, but none of them helped.

Do you have any guess what else can I try to bring it back to life?
Is there any newer firmware both MCU and FPGA?

Here is a video showing the looping boot procedure:

My  FPGA board looks different from the other boards which I found on this forum in another topic. I think it is a newer version of it and it has V2.0 bootloader on it.

Thank you in advance!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:00:11 pm by gsorex »

• Contributor
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2023, 07:42:24 am »
You can try to flash this firmware:
http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/splash%20screen%20fix%20firmware.rar

If it turns into a black screen after flashing, it may be that the version corresponding to psg9000_R202.bin is wrong. Find a suitable version and refresh it once.

Offline dawidma

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024, 08:28:48 pm »
Hi,
I have a Juntek PSG9080 and in a moment of weakness, I decided to upgrade the firmware of the device, which resulted in bricking it because I flashed the Joy-It firmware.  |O
Thanks to this thread, I got it resurrected again, but now it only runs for ~30s before it switches off.

The original configuration of the device (before update)
HW: 2.00
Firmware: 2.00
FPGA: 1.20
Booloader: 1.2

Now I am running:
HW: 2.00
Firmware: 2.01
FPGA: 1.20 (even though I also updated the FPGA configuration, it seems to be the same version that had already been on the device)
Booloader: 1.2

In this configuration it works and is able to provide the output signals as requested, but switches off after some seconds.
This is independent if powered via 5V or AC. If I put it in bootloader mode, it can stay there forever without switching off. So I assume it has something to do with the compatibility of the HW with Firmware and FPGA config.

Does anybody know this behaviour? Probably some sort of memory wipe/reset to factory could help?

I would like to go back to the original firmware, but unfortunately I cannot find it online. The version 2.02 seems not to work as good as 2.01 since there I do not get any output signals at all, but the device still resets.
Has anyone a link for the V2.00 firmware?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 08:41:30 pm by dawidma »

Offline dawidma

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 09:23:28 am »
Hi,
I now found a different FPGA bitstream that seems to do the trick:
http://68.168.132.244/PSG9000/0-256okh(1).bin
This is a different bitstream file than the others I found online. Still the device reports FPGA version 1.20 as before, but now the device runs without switching off anymore.
Lesson learned: I will never touch any SW on this thing!

Offline Wil_Bloodworth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 11:08:53 pm »
I bought one of the PSG9080 a few months ago and was playing around with it today and briefly thought about updating the firmware... until I read this thread.  I think I will just leave well enough alone and not mess with it!

On another note, have any of you been able to get the mobile app to communicate with the bluetooth extension module and successfully use it to control the device?  The desktop software works "fairly well" but isn't perfect... but it's good enough I guess.

- Wil

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf