Author Topic: Some old school instruments showing how it's done (HP 3325A and Fluke 8506a)  (Read 368 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

Just checked what 1V RMS from the 3325A looked like on the Fluke 8506a thermal RMS voltmeter.  No real reason to complain today!  (Other than using up my luck for the rest of the year...)

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Now don't you regret not having a couple of extra digits on the HP3325A's display?

Offline bob91343

• Frequent Contributor
Very gratifying.

Online 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
The 3325 A and B don't have all the fancy features of modern DDS generators, but they make very high quality waveforms. I have a 3325B with oven oscillator and high voltage option. Comes in quite handy sometimes!

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
The 3325 A and B don't have all the fancy features of modern DDS generators, but they make very high quality waveforms. I have a 3325B with oven oscillator and high voltage option. Comes in quite handy sometimes!

Yesterday, I compared the specs with the current generation of function generators from Keysight (the 33500B series).   The new ones have cleaner output and many more features, and are very cool and high performing instruments.  But the fundamental specifications of the old machines are definitely not embarrassing in comparison, even after all these years!  :D      The A/C amplitude spec looks very comparable, for example.

Online 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist

Yesterday, I compared the specs with the current generation of function generators from Keysight (the 33500B series).   The new ones have cleaner output and many more features, and are very cool and high performing instruments.  But the fundamental specifications of the old machines are definitely not embarrassing in comparison, even after all these years!  :D      The A/C amplitude spec looks very comparable, for example.

I would imagine that the modern ones are way better for anything approaching arbitrary waveforms. But most certainly don't allow for such high amplitudes without an external amplifier! I also have another old unit from Analogic Data Precision, a 2045 Polynomial Waveform Synthesizer. It has a rather unique feature set that I'm not sure has ever been reproduced. It can either reproduce waveforms digitized by a Data Precision 6000 series digitizer mainframe or you can define waveforms in terms of polynomials right from the front panel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf