Author Topic: Somebody hates Tektronix!  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Martin HodgeTopic starter

• Supporter
    • MGH Designs
Somebody hates Tektronix!
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:47:15 am »
Or is there a reason to do this to perfectly good oscilloscopes?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283597841086

(Not my ad)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: Somebody hates Tektronix!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:49:17 am »
Maybe this guy found them and didn't realize the original owner smashed them to deter people from picking up garbage(BER).

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:53:27 am »
Probably the usual "Has to be shown as destroyed before it can be written off for tax purposes" stuff.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:55:22 am »
That's possible. Some looked like they were destroyed even before screen smashing.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:19:33 am »
I thought it was going to be that Israeli scrap dealer again... but this time the seller has an amazingly appropriate name: sell_anything. Indeed.

The bottom middle one appears to have an intact display. Some of the others have a "fail" sticker on them, in Spanish(?) What are the chances you can make one working one out of the 10...? Still not worth it for the price.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 03:48:19 am »
Probably the usual "Has to be shown as destroyed before it can be written off for tax purposes" stuff.

That's what it looks like.  I once bought a big box of HP-71 calculators from Ft Bliss and someone had smashed the display in everyone of them. But they hadn't bothered to take out the custom made, plug in,  US Army ROMs that were used to compute artillery fire solutions.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 04:44:34 am »

Gibson commands to destroy hundreds of their new guitars, the Firebird X model retailed for $5,500 and it was a total flop! Kind of a heartbreak to see such waste, just over stupid management claiming they were "unsafe" or "unsalvageable".

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 04:57:47 am »
Or is there a reason to do this to perfectly good oscilloscopes?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283597841086

(Not my ad)

Sad and very frustrating to see this.  :palm: I have the exact same scope and have optioned it up to 500MHz bandwidth and it is a fantastic scope !!

It's ironic because perhaps if they had not been smashed up they could be worth the money that he is asking ! Now it is not worth much at all :(

cheers
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:02:12 am by snoopy »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 11:58:06 am »
8 Turn on but the CRTs are broken
2 Do not turn on and the CRTs are broken

Seller clearly has no idea what a CRT is.  :palm:

Offline Martin HodgeTopic starter

• Supporter
    • MGH Designs
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 07:20:06 pm »
8 Turn on but the CRTs are broken
2 Do not turn on and the CRTs are broken

Seller clearly has no idea what a CRT is.  :palm:

Seller does have two other listings with destroyed Tek scopes, including a lot of two TDS420 with smashed CRT. $100 + ship. I almost put in a low ball offer for those.

Offline D. Head

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 07:34:01 pm »
Looks like school-equipment.
Just bored students who molest the scopes. (most of the time they have no idea what the new retail price of the stuf is).
I remembered at my school when they had white tower-computers, students drew on it all the time. And the teacher said a million times not to do it...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »
It looks way too methodical to be random vandalism, almost certainly they were deliberately destroyed and dumped in an e-waste bin. It's a real shame the way that happens, I'll never understand the mentality of destroying something useful just to make sure someone else doesn't manage to profit off it.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:05 pm »
Probably still worth a penny to some people.
The unobtainium ASICs are probably still fine and usually the first thing that makes them unrepairable, if the magic smoke escapes.
So at the right price, like $20-$50 a piece, it might be worth to buy them for parts.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 09:45:11 pm »
Worth something yes, but knock a zero off the price they're trying to get.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 11:07:14 pm »
Worth something yes, but knock a zero off the price they're trying to get.

Agree. The seller most likely bought these things for scrap plastic price or found them in a dumpster and now thinks that he discovered a gold mine.

The US (and other governments) could probably pay off a significant portion of the National Debt if they required the military, universities and other government subsidized agencies to stop destroying surplus equipment and to sell it at PUBLIC auctions instead of smashing it and then selling it to select "dealers" at .001 cents on the dollar.  OTOH that would probably put E-bay and Government Liquidation out of business.

The problem with buying one of these for an ASIC or other specialized part is that, frequently, somebody in the surplus line has opened them up and removed every spec of anything resembling gold.  High End test equipment brands like HP and Tektronix are the first to get ravaged. Before I even consider buying something like this on Ebay I contact the seller and ask if anyone has attempted to repair the item, or if it has been opened or if the seals are intact.  And I also ask for photos of the rear or what ever portion of the case that opens up. Without knowing the answers to those questions, I wouldn't pay more than about $50 for one of these including the shipping costs.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 11:13:43 pm »
  PS I just took a closer look at the pictures and it looks like MOST of them have notes on them listing hardware failures even before they were smashed.   Unless there was a part that I needed and that I could SEE was intact, I wouldn't waste my time on one of these.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf