Author Topic: Someone has hacked MDO4000C?  (Read 20533 times)

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Someone has hacked MDO4000C?
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2020, 08:14:22 pm »
for DPO/MSO/MDO4000 (no letter at the end) the "only" way is to program and then transfer license from an app module
It takes a while and needs many power on/offs but that's the only way  :(

The following users thanked this post: syau

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2020, 04:01:46 am »
for DPO/MSO/MDO4000 (no letter at the end) the "only" way is to program and then transfer license from an app module
It takes a while and needs many power on/offs but that's the only way  :(

Quck hack using a broken phone + 24c02, job done in 2 hours  :-+

Thanks.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2020, 01:57:36 pm »
an MDO4024C-6 just arrived... and luckily, the week-end just starts...   >:D

thus an MDO4024C with factory SA6, DPO4BND and AFG options.

but SCPI shell on port 4000 doesn't seem to work on MDO4000C  :(
Anyone experienced with the 'C' models ? This one is running FW 1.10 (2018), any idea whether it's a good idea to upgrade or not ?
Strange that netcat isn't working... console log reports daemon started on port 4000...?

Anyway... web console seems to work, additional menu's are there...
here some console file: (start of...)

errSetConsoleLogState() logging to /usr/local/nv/consoleLog50.txt
 cfgInit
 versionBuildFWVersionString(): TimestampString: 30-Oct-15  11:43   
                                VersionFIRMWAREVERSIONversion: v1.02
                                Major ver num: 1 Minor ver num: 2
 sysInit
 execInit
 hwInit
 vertReprogramFeProc(): Platform Route66c fw 1003 filefw 1003
 Front Panel Firmware update not needed
   Current firmware 1003 >= 1003

Main Board HW ID: 0x07

AFE Board SW ID: 0x02
 cfgGetRfHwInfo(): Contents of CfgRfHwInfo:
  rfHwPresent = 1; rfFrontEndType = 4; rfAfeRev = 2
  rfBw = 6e+09; rfLowBandStartFreq = 9000; rfAttenResolution = 1.000000
  rfAcqMemSize = 2e+09

Main Board SW ID: 0x01

HFD144[0] ID_REG = 0x00001440
       HFD144[1] ID_REG = 0x00001440
       HFD144[2] ID_REG = 0x00001440
       HFD144[3] ID_REG = 0x00001440
 fanControlInit
     Init ADT7476.
 mitlInit
 afgInit
 diagInit
 diagRunEarlyPostDiags
 ialInit
 ialInit(): AFE id 0x2, rev 0x2, bI 8
 calInit
 Factory Checksum:
 Demux initialization

Main Board HW Rev: 0x02
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:03:19 pm by darkstar49 »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2020, 09:16:15 pm »
I think 1.10 is the latest firmware.

Check the

Utility -> I/O -> Socket Server

settings.

The following users thanked this post: darkstar49

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2020, 07:57:43 am »
klaus11, for -C models the max possible bandwidth depends on actual board types installed. Try getting device log (as in andyturk's link) to see main/AFE models. There are both MB and AFE limits:
Code: [Select]
afeid bw
1, 2 200M
3 1G
4 200M
5 350M
other 200M

mbid, bw
1, 5 1G-1G
2, 6 200M-500M
7 200M-1G

AFE's always report a SW ID, whereas the main board reports a HW ID... so I'm not (yet) 100% convinced the AFE's can't be software-upgraded...

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 12:38:57 pm »
klaus11, for -C models the max possible bandwidth depends on actual board types installed. Try getting device log (as in andyturk's link) to see main/AFE models. There are both MB and AFE limits:
afeid bw
1, 2 200M
3 1G
4 200M
5 350M
other 200M

mbid, bw
1, 5 1G-1G
2, 6 200M-500M
7 200M-1G

AFE's always report a SW ID, whereas the main board reports a HW ID... so I'm not (yet) 100% convinced the AFE's can't be software-upgraded...

were you able to upgrade the BW to 350 or 500 or maybe 1G?

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 07:35:38 am »
afeid bw
1, 2 200M
3 1G
4 200M
5 350M
other 200M

mbid, bw
1, 5 1G-1G
2, 6 200M-500M
7 200M-1G

were you able to upgrade the BW to 350 or 500 or maybe 1G?

Not yet, but planned for this week, will post the result(s) in the coming days...

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 03:27:41 pm »
So...

apart from the python key.py glitch (which had been mentioned before by TV84 !! |O ), i.e. line 158 'if' must be replaced by 'elif', got the same results as others...
Scope is unhappy about its calibration, and SPC fails.

But 1 GHz sine wave displays fine, curiously no attenuation (500mV ampl. on the siggen)... But measurements complain with a 'low resolution' warning on the rise time and frequency measurements from time to time...

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 03:36:39 pm »
So...

apart from the python key.py glitch (which had been mentioned before by TV84 !! |O ), i.e. line 158 'if' must be replaced by 'elif', got the same results as others...
Scope is unhappy about its calibration, and SPC fails.

But 1 GHz sine wave displays fine, curiously no attenuation (500mV ampl. on the siggen)... But measurements complain with a 'low resolution' warning on the rise time and frequency measurements from time to time...

but at least it shows the 200MHz scope does in fact have the hardware for 1GHz BW, right?
it's probably just because of the required re- calibration that tektronix says the scope needs to be send to them for upgrade

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 04:09:43 pm »
but at least it shows the 200MHz scope does in fact have the hardware for 1GHz BW, right?
it's probably just because of the required re- calibration that tektronix says the scope needs to be send to them for upgrade

well... the question will be: is only Tek able to do whatever is needed, or will a 'standard' calibration by an affiliated lab be OK as well...
Sending the scope in to Tek in the current state will only lead to a factory reset (at best)...   :-\

And as for the h/w, yes, it seems like it has the 1 GHz stuff, otherwise, I couldn't explain how it would be able to display that signal... although the fact that there's no attenuation (or some sort of compensation ??) is rather suspicious... (or maybe due to the lack of calibration ??? but still... more amplitude than the actual signal, i.e. 500 mV 1 GHz sine wave...?)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:37:11 pm by darkstar49 »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2021, 06:04:08 pm »

well... the question will be: is only Tek able to do whatever is needed, or will a 'standard' calibration by an affiliated lab be OK as well...
Sending the scope in to Tek in the current state will only lead to a factory reset (at best)...   :-\

And as for the h/w, yes, it seems like it has the 1 GHz stuff, otherwise, I couldn't explain how it would be able to display that signal... although the fact that there's no attenuation (or some sort of compensation ??) is rather suspicious... (or maybe due to the lack of calibration ??? but still... more amplitude than the actual signal, i.e. 500 mV 1 GHz sine wave...?)

yes that 500mVpp RF staying unchanged over 1GHz is strange or too good to be true. Are you sure about your SG output? Does it really stay constant from say 1MHz to 1GHz?

how about trigger stability and sensitivity? is it OK at 1GHz?

some people had reported that if the device is warmed up for long time it might pass the SPC or I remember someone even changed room and his MDO passed SPC. It was not MDO4000 I think but these are things that I remember I have seen on this forum

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2021, 08:11:24 pm »
Yep... pretty sure on the signal quality and stability (got a calibrated 4GHz scope at hand), the SG is under cal as well.
Trigger stability is excellent, all channels. Sensitivity not tested yet.

From what I see, what is needed is a 'Factory adjustment'... very little hope to have this done outside Tek, I'd even bet that there's no step by step documentation of this procedure, as this is most probably done in an automated way at Tek  :(

I think the only way to have the scope stop complaining (without Tek), would be to know where these adjustment values are stored (by analyzing the firmware), copy those from a working 1 GHz model, and set the required 'flags' to mark that it has been adjusted. Probability of success this way is close to (if not below) zero.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:14:38 am by darkstar49 »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 03:10:43 pm »
Yep... pretty sure on the signal quality and stability (got a calibrated 4GHz scope at hand), the SG is under cal as well.
Trigger stability is excellent, all channels. Sensitivity not tested yet.

From what I see, what is needed is a 'Factory adjustment'... very little hope to have this done outside Tek, I'd even bet that there's no step by step documentation of this procedure, as this is most probably done in an automated way at Tek  :(

I think the only way to have the scope stop complaining (without Tek), would be to know where these adjustment values are stored (by analyzing the firmware), copy those from a working 1 GHz model, and set the required 'flags' to mark that it has been adjusted. Probability of success this way is close to (if not below) zero.

did you get it to work properly at 1GHz?
or did you go back to 200MHz?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 07:18:30 pm »
I'm wondering if at the very least a 200MHz can be liberated to 500MHz without having a recalibration/factory adjustment. Certainly the MDO3000 could do that.

On my 4054C-SA6, I can run the SPC at 500MHz but when I liberate it to 1GHz, the channel offsets & gains set by SPC don't seem to carry across, although they're not that bad as they stand.

I did attempt a full calibration, but there's a test very near the end of the 78 or so steps that I could never get to pass, although as far as I could tell from the very terse on screen instructions, I was doing the right thing.

It would help a great deal if we could get hold of the detailed cal instructions.

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2021, 10:49:14 am »
I'm wondering if at the very least a 200MHz can be liberated to 500MHz without having a recalibration/factory adjustment. Certainly the MDO3000 could do that.

strange that you talk about it... was planning to do that this afternoon...  ;-)     (200->350 and 200->500)

Regarding the cal, I guess that unless you get your hands on some 'insider' info, you're unlikely to be successful.
The 'automated adjustment procedure' the scope is asking for, is the automated factory calibration, which might be slightly different.

Is there any logs where the results of the calibration are visible ??
I found functions for setting the verbosity of the Cal functions in the firmware, but no idea on how to change that 'from the outside'  :-//

For one of the functions I came across, one of the error messages was "Invalid shadow registers.  Talk to Peter"   
So maybe you should talk to Peter...   :-DD

BTW, did you try to do the cal in Mfg mode ? or in Dev mode ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:54:24 am by darkstar49 »

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2021, 10:53:50 am »

Nope, experiments planned later today... hopefully getting back the cal data for 200MHz. But I'm relatively confident, the firmware shows that there are different (calibration) data sets for the different BW's (0, 1, 2, 3 indexes into some table).
So the mentioned problem is likely to happen for all non-native BW settings. Will report on that.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2021, 09:14:57 pm »

Nope, experiments planned later today... hopefully getting back the cal data for 200MHz. But I'm relatively confident, the firmware shows that there are different (calibration) data sets for the different BW's (0, 1, 2, 3 indexes into some table).
So the mentioned problem is likely to happen for all non-native BW settings. Will report on that.

darkstar49,
did you try other BW like 500MHz for example instead of 1GHz?

look what I just found on ebay (see the pic)  :o :o
it says model (from resistors) is 1  :o
so perhaps some resistor IDs must be moved around in order for the BW upgrade to work!

i dont know how that seller got this image, he must have enabled an engineering debug mode
I dont think the instrument by default would give you this information,

EDIT: changing those ID resistors (wherever they are) is probably what Tek does when you send it for BW upgrade. Plus of course calibration
I dont think they replace the board.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:51:06 pm by analogRF »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2021, 05:58:54 pm »

darkstar49,
did you try other BW like 500MHz for example instead of 1GHz?

look what I just found on ebay (see the pic)  :o :o
it says model (from resistors) is 1  :o
so perhaps some resistor IDs must be moved around in order for the BW upgrade to work!

i dont know how that seller got this image, he must have enabled an engineering debug mode
I dont think the instrument by default would give you this information,

EDIT: changing those ID resistors (wherever they are) is probably what Tek does when you send it for BW upgrade. Plus of course calibration
I dont think they replace the board.

FWIW this is mine, a 1GHz liberated MDO4054C-SA6

You get the image in either Manufacturing Mode (:MFG:MOD 1) or Development Mode (:DEV:MOD 1). For Manufacturing mode there is a different password see post #71 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mdo3000-hacking/msg769821/#msg769821

FWIW, I've noticed that any residual channel offsets disappear when the channel is bandwidth limited to 250 or 20MHz.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2021, 06:15:09 pm »

You get the image in either Manufacturing Mode (:MFG:MOD 1) or Development Mode (:DEV:MOD 1). For Manufacturing mode there is a different password see post #71 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mdo3000-hacking/msg769821/#msg769821

FWIW, I've noticed that any residual channel offsets disappear when the channel is bandwidth limited to 250 or 20MHz.

(Attachment Link) .

ummm...this one also shows model number based on resistors is 1 but says 500MHz. Now I am lost...
but still it shows there have to be some ID resistors on the board to play with

I dont have a MDO4000, so are there any high res pictures of top and bottom of the main board somewhere? or can somebody provide some pictures?

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2021, 06:21:15 pm »
Howardlong,
in post #9 of this thread, an MDO4034B was upgraded to 1GHz and it seems to be working fine with no warning message or DC offset
have you contacted that forum member? B versions did not even have an official BW upgrade like C versions do
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:29:57 pm by analogRF »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2021, 07:55:36 pm »
Howardlong,
in post #9 of this thread, an MDO4034B was upgraded to 1GHz and it seems to be working fine with no warning message or DC offset
have you contacted that forum member? B versions did not even have an official BW upgrade like C versions do

Yes, I did: this appears to be a difference between B and C versions as far as we could tell.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2021, 07:58:51 pm »

(Attachment Link) .

ummm...this one also shows model number based on resistors is 1 but says 500MHz. Now I am lost...
but still it shows there have to be some ID resistors on the board to play with

I dont have a MDO4000, so are there any high res pictures of top and bottom of the main board somewhere? or can somebody provide some pictures?

FWIW, the serial number of that scope is very close to mine, you'll have enough fingers for the difference.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2021, 08:13:58 pm »
You'll notice that if I switch my scope back to pre-liberation 500MHz state, the sample rate is 2.5GHz. Presumably that's because mine has a 6GHz rather than 3GHz SA?

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2021, 06:26:12 pm »
Experiments confirm what it seemed... every bandwidth has its own table and status.
I tried 2 -> 3, 2 -> 5 and 2 -> 10, same story, same messages.

Back to 200MHz, and it's happy again.

This confirms what the firmware says... 4 calibration/compensation tables. What I don't know is whether that 'factory adjustment' would leave existing tables unaffected...

It would be really interesting to have the NVRAM of an MDO4104C, the tables are definitely instrument-specific, but if one manages to find out the offsets and length of these tables (as well as a way to read & write from/to NVRAM), I'm pretty sure it could help a lot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:08:42 am by darkstar49 »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2021, 03:24:45 pm »
i dont have a MDO4000/B/C but just out of curiosity, what can happen if you send the scope for calibration after unlocking the BW and options? either to Tek or to another reputable cal lab? it seems everybody is only stuck at this point step.

also what if you dont upgrade the BW and just unlock the options and send it for routine calibration? has anybody tried that?

if I understood correctly in these scopes the options are unlocked by license keys, so unlike for example keysight 3000 which requires patching the FW, what would be the problem of sending it for calibration?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:09:17 pm by analogRF »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf