Author Topic: Source for Brymen meters in the USA?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Source for Brymen meters in the USA?
« on: May 18, 2022, 12:47:47 pm »
Hi all-

Looking to buy a Brymen meter, probably model 789.  Having trouble finding a source here in the USA - is there one?  Or do I have to get it from overseas?

Thanks.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Source for Brymen meters in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 01:28:19 pm »

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:35:39 pm »
Have purchased from Welectron (Germany) without any issues.  Can use 'marcoreps5' for 5% off Brymen meters.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:43:03 pm by Venturi962 »

The following users thanked this post: Eltax1693

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:15 pm »
I don't see any Greenlee rebrands of the 78x series yet.  Who knows if they will.

2nd Welectron, they have been great to work with.

Probably best to not post discount codes publicly.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 10:50:22 pm »
While Greenlee rebranded some of the Brymen meters but their price is much higher than Brymen and making them no longer good deals.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 11:25:59 pm »
While Greenlee rebranded some of the Brymen meters but their price is much higher than Brymen and making them no longer good deals.

The surging dollar does make those Euro-priced versions look better, but you can get the Greenlee version of the 869S for $325 shipped with a nice bag and a limited lifetime warranty, vs. ~€ 200 + shipping and effectively no warranty.  It's not a terrible deal.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline gabeeg

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 11:58:05 pm »
TME will ship : https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm789/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/

Ebay is an option for new Brymens and the EEV branded Brymens are often available on Amazon if for example you wanted a 786.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:37 am »
TME will ship : https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/bm789/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/

Ebay is an option for new Brymens and the EEV branded Brymens are often available on Amazon if for example you wanted a 786.

Seems like a Brymen 789 for $164 would be hard to beat; if shipping cost is reasonable (looks like TME says ~$10-15) it’s a lot of DMM for the price.

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:29 pm »
I've rarely seen any Brymens on ebay, other than Welectron's limited listings.  In that case it is cheaper to just order from them directly.

Welectron's pricing is competitive with others, but the part I appreciate the most is that you can easily add the carrying case, fuses, magnet and other accessories specific to that model when adding it to your cart.  They also seem to have the best stock among all the online retailers.  Shipping is a flat 9.99 Euro unless you add boat anchors to your order...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 06:19:47 am »
Welectron's pricing is competitive with others, but the part I appreciate the most is that you can easily add the carrying case, fuses, magnet and other accessories specific to that model when adding it to your cart.

When I bought mine they didn't have the exact combination in stock so they wrote to me and asked if it was OK to cobble one together from two different kits to avoid the wait, that the box wouldn't be sealed when it arrived.

(I said yes, obviously...)

Online J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 06:57:51 am »
Welectron's pricing is competitive with others, but the part I appreciate the most is that you can easily add the carrying case, fuses, magnet and other accessories specific to that model when adding it to your cart.

When I bought mine they didn't have the exact combination in stock so they wrote to me and asked if it was OK to cobble one together from two different kits to avoid the wait, that the box wouldn't be sealed when it arrived.

(I said yes, obviously...)

I've never seen an official Brymen kit, just the DMM with test leads and maybe temp. probes, etc. and then the reseller adds any additional accessories if you add them to your order.  If you're referring to a Dave-Brymen product then that could be different.  I have actually not seen any carrying cases on Dave's site for a year or so, but Welectron has them, not sure what the story is on that. 

There is a specific carrying case for the BM78x series.  It's slightly narrower and thinner than the carrying case for the BM869s, for example.

I also don't see the original BM235 carrying case, the one with the silkscreened letters.  It's ever so slightly thinner than the 121GW carrying case.

Personally, I always order the appropriate carrying case with my handheld DMMs.  Keeps all the parts together, and I can just grab and go.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 05:48:00 am »
I've never seen an official Brymen kit, just the DMM with test leads and maybe temp. probes, etc. and then the reseller adds any additional accessories if you add them to your order.

It's a Welectron thing. Welectron Brymens have 'welectron' on the back with the serial number so they obviously have some direct deal with Brymen.

They offer a 'plus pack' for their meters so you get a case and gold leads instead of normal ones (ie. you don't get the normal leads).

eg. https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM857s-Multimeter_1

(look over on the right for "accessory pack")

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf