Author Topic: Spectrum Analyzer - Rigol DSA815  (Read 615707 times)

Offline N8AUM

• Regular Contributor
Re: Spectrum Analyzer - Rigol DSA815
« Reply #925 on: March 23, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »
cyberfuzzy, It will time out and you will have to hit the "Preset" to restart the hour. Before you power off to do the "mod" setup the analyzer where you want it to be when it powers up since those will be the settings it will use when you power up or hit the preset.

Good luck  N8AUM 

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #926 on: June 30, 2018, 10:18:17 am »
FYI

I have the following DSA

went from FW 00.01.18.00.02 to FW 00.01.19.00.02, everything went well but as always the SSC-DSA remain deactivated.
If anybody knows how to activate the pesky SSC-DSA please drop a line here.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #927 on: August 19, 2018, 07:58:41 pm »
Sometime I forgot to tear down my new kids, your post reminds me to do that always.
Warranty label still intact I hope?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #928 on: August 19, 2018, 10:03:15 pm »
Missed a new DSA815 with TG go on ebay the other day for a stupidly low price of £415 BIN.

Kind of glad now I've seen that corrosion. That's just shit.

TBH their kit scares me. I'm shifting my DS1054Z at the moment in favour of an older Tek TDS and need a suitable replacement for a DG1022Z as well. I'm up cash, repairability and being able to sleep at night then.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:04:49 pm by bd139 »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #929 on: August 19, 2018, 10:57:09 pm »
What's the problem with a little surface corrosion at a punched-out edge as long as the instrument is performing as per the specs? This corrosion on these zinc-plated enclosure components will start if the parts are stored (unassembled) for two days under humid climate. It happened to other manufacturers as well. If you keep your instrument in a dry lab, this corrosion won't get any worse and it won't affect performance. I would take a DSA815TG for 415UKP (or 500 EUR) any day if I had not already got one (with or without rust...  ;) )

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #930 on: August 19, 2018, 11:01:11 pm »
I remember the first line of cheap PC clones that my father imported into Europe from Taiwan in the mid 1980s. The corrosion is semi infectious from what I saw. You’d find a couple of years down the line that other components had started corroding. Cheap tinned steel parts in particular.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #931 on: August 20, 2018, 05:32:59 am »
That's true for tin-plated steel. But the zinc plating provides electrochemical protection (which I'm not sure of in case of the tin - I rather guess it wouldn't), so the risk of propagation of the corrosion is rather low. As a preventive measure, one could spray/wipe a thin layer of grease on the affected areas to displace any potentially present moisture. WD40 won't work permanently since it tends to evaporate completely over the time. In Germany we've got a weapon oil spray called "Ballistol" which does a really great job at protecting bare steel surfaces from corrosion - I guess similar agents are available elsewhere as well.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #932 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:26 am »
But that's what a forum is good for - providing a detailed opinion on these instruments. The Rigol load in its current condition is not worth buying. I don't know when you purchased yours but the corresponding tests are online since ten months. The opinion on that product was fairly unison negative. Recommendations go in the direction of Maynuo, Itech or BK, or if you prefer a TFT screen maybe also Applent. These entry-level loads work faily well and are worth their money.

The DSA815 is a rather old design, though modernized at some time but definitely not the best bang-for-buck from a 2018 year's point of view. In this forum, you will probably be advised to look at the Siglent (can also be rusty...) SSA3021. These recommendations will be backed by many individuals who gained some common experience and make it available here for those looking for the best purchase in the instrument category/class they are about to get.

Moreover, decent T&M equipment distributors will offer a money-back period of a month or so, so in case one is really unhappy with the purchase, no worry, just send it back. If this is common in your country (Russia?) I don't know, but then a forum like this should be even more valuable.

Anyway, I understand your point of feeling offended by Rigol and that you won't buy any of their products in future. For comparison, there are other products of this manufacturer that apparently are decent quality though it also took them a while to get them right. I read few complaints from DS1000Z and DS2000A owners and the DP800 PSUs are also usable.

I hope you'll find a solution for the problem and that you'll finally be able to get the instruments that you're satisfied with.

Cheers,
Thomas
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:40:47 pm by TurboTom »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #933 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:25 am »
Depends,

I use the Rigol DSA815 TG twice a year. I needed a cheap ass SA not made 100% of chinesium.
For my needs the DSA815 is fine, you get what you paid.

If you are a serious RF ninja... run Forrest run.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #934 on: August 23, 2018, 12:38:23 pm »
Hi,  I use two DSA815TGs and I like them for everyday, uncritical work.
This one solves most standard chores, and it is hard to get more bang for the buck.
I can recommend those because the bugs seem to be gone and they are reliable.

Dave Jones has done a review on them, you certainly have seen this.

Offline n5kzw

« Reply #935 on: September 15, 2018, 08:59:06 pm »
I'm sorry for hijacking your post, but could someone tell me how to post a new thread in this section of the forum?  I cannot get into the maintenance mode on my new DSA815-TG.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
« Reply #936 on: September 15, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
I cannot get into the maintenance mode on my new DSA815-TG.

Welcome 'n5kzw' to the EEVblog.  The DSA800 Series Maintenance Mode access is described in the following PDF file:  Credit's go to EEVbloger PeDre.
I also added information for 1.) accessing the units Full Firmware Version info, and 2.) adjusting the DSA800 Frequency Standard's 10 MHz.
Caution! Do NOT experiment in Maintenance Mode with any selections you DO NOT completely understand.  You can easily screw up your unit without even realizing it just happened.

The following users thanked this post: mcinque

Offline n5kzw

« Reply #937 on: September 16, 2018, 10:24:29 pm »
When I follow all of the key sequences listed on the web and in the Rigol service note, after hitting the STORAGE button I do not get the "Welcome to Maintenance Mode" message, and pressing the SYSTEM button does not offer a Service > Calibration option on the second or third page of the menu; it just shows the normal STORAGE menu.  The unit shipped with FW version 00.01.19, and I have made the demo timer reset mod.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #938 on: September 17, 2018, 12:07:22 am »
When I follow all of the key sequences listed on the web and in the Rigol service note, after hitting the STORAGE button I do not get the "Welcome to Maintenance Mode" message, and pressing the SYSTEM button does not offer a Service >
You want to select the Maintenance Mode.  Please just use the selection sequence for selecting the Maintenance mode using the 'DSA800 Maintenance Mode .pdf' (with a graphic display of the Keys).  You have 9 button presses before you will see 'Welcome to Maintenance Mode'.

By the way the STORAGE button isn't required to exit the Maintenance Mode and returning to Normal Mode.  Simply starting with the second button (Enter) always works, as the first button (Storage) isn't normally even required to use, although it still works fine as shown here either way.

What is this about on the Web and a Service Note?  Please use the PDF files I provided.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:26:51 am by ted572 »

Offline n5kzw

« Reply #939 on: September 17, 2018, 04:10:58 am »
Thank you very much for the updated information.  I was relying on info from:  a youtube video by KD0RC on calibrating against WWV, a document titled "Rigol DSA815-TG Hidden Modes" dated 2014-09-12, and a Rigol document titled "10MHz Clock Frequency Adjustment: DSA-815" dated 01.30.2013.

The above references are not applicable to current production; your data is.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #940 on: November 02, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »
I revised the 'DSA800 Maintenance Mode .pdf' (for the DSA705 - DSA875) to include the critical Buttons that should Not be Pressed, or Experimented With.  These are the only dangerous Buttons at this Time that that I know of that must be left alone.  There of course could be additional risky Buttons in the future that come up, as newer DSA800 Firmware is released.  Although this seems unlikely due to the maturity of this product line.  Please understand that anything you do in the Maintenance, Service Mode is at your own risk!

If you only use the Maintenance Mode for - 1. Calibrating the DSA800's 10 MHz Freq. Std., and 2. Obtaining the Full System Information, you should be fine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:02:51 am by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, mcinque, bitseeker

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #941 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:39 am »
DSA800 (DSA705 - DSA875) 10MHz Frequency Standard Calibration Procedure

If you have Fram Write Protect (FWP) enabled to secure Options, you must temporarily disable it before being able to do the 'Ref DAC' Adjustment (for 10 MHz Calibration).  Don't forget to re-enable FWP when done.  And please remember to follow the FWP cautions (!) concerning when/how to enable/disable FWP.  Note that I provided this information/cation in the postings on incorporating FWP, so this is not new information.

Edit Nov. 15, 2018:  Title changed to Bold Type, and added a Note about 'Fram Write Protect', if it is incorporated in your unit (added by request from EEVblog users).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:32:02 pm by ted572 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, egonotto, mcinque, bitseeker

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #942 on: November 06, 2018, 02:39:40 am »
Thanks for posting that.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #943 on: November 07, 2018, 12:52:40 am »
Hey I got a question I can't seem to work out. I have two traces going - a Max hold trace (1) and a Min hold trace (2). I want to accurately measure the frequency difference between the two different traces with markers at several places. I have markers assigned to the two traces but I don't see any way to get the frequency difference between a marker on trace 1 and another marker on trace 2.

Does anyone know how to measure the frequency difference between two different points on two traces other than by eyeballing them?  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #944 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:17 am »
Marker table ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #945 on: November 07, 2018, 01:00:56 am »
Marker table ?

Thank you for responding. No it doesn't seem that can do it, I tried.  :-//

Just seems like it would be possible - conceptually it's not a complicated thing but doesn't seem to be implemented. Do the Siglent SAs enable that?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #946 on: November 07, 2018, 01:10:38 am »
Marker table ?

Thank you for responding. No it doesn't seem that can do it, I tried.  :-//

Just seems like it would be possible - conceptually it's not a complicated thing but doesn't seem to be implemented. Do the Siglent SAs enable that?
Not exactly what you wanted however the info is in the Marker table and all you need is to do some simple maths.
SVA1015X
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:48:55 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #947 on: November 07, 2018, 01:18:43 am »
Not exactly what you wanted however the info is in the Marker table and all you need is to do some simple maths.

Yes that can be done of course by hand, I was looking for the instrument to do it but it looks like it just isn't something the designers implemented, not sure why.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #948 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:11 am »

Yes that can be done of course by hand, I was looking for the instrument to do it but it looks like it just isn't something the designers implemented, not sure why.
Something like a Delta marker but relative to a marker on another trace ?

Edit
You can use a Delta marker and move it to the marker on another trace and it will show the frequency difference.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:45:27 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #949 on: November 07, 2018, 01:47:50 am »
Something like a Delta marker but relative to a marker on another trace ?

Yep exactly. Easy enough and simple math but not implemented. What I'm doing is measuring FM deviation using trace 1 Max hold and trace 2 Min hold, as W2AEW does it. But he has a Tektronix SA.  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf