Author Topic: LCR Research meter explained  (Read 3467 times)

Offline toolsavvyorgTopic starter

• toolsavvy
LCR Research meter explained
« on: October 30, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
You can ask questions, request for information and, suggest improvements or new features for LCR-Pro/elite meters.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:57:41 pm by toolsavvyorg »
ToolSavvy

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: LCR Research meter explained
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:19:52 pm »
Welcome aboard !

I for one am certainly a fan of SMD tweezers and their usefulness for general bench work and not just SMD !

Can I suggest you add LCR Research's website link into your profile to get the blue globe link displayed so ppls have no issue examining your products or contacting you.

If you need more forum exposure I suggest you send a set of tweezers to Dave via his mailbag and he might do an exclusive video about them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• toolsavvy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:02:43 pm »
Thank you for your advice. I will add a link to LCR Research and to my www.toolsavvy.org websites. Also, I will prepare both LCR-Pro1 PLUS and LCR-Elite2 and send them to Dave for review. Do you know the best way to contact him?
ToolSavvy

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 08:06:16 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• toolsavvy
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:02:02 pm »
Thank you for advice.
ToolSavvy

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:48:00 pm »
I will add a link to LCR Research and to my www.toolsavvy.org websites.

I struggle to find product specifications/datasheet there.

• toolsavvy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
Sorry, still updating this website. You can find all PDF documents in https://www.lcrresearch.com/downloads/
ToolSavvy

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 10:52:46 pm »
Welcome!
A question : can I upgrade firmware on LCR-Pro1 PLUS ?
Also, when I perform open/short calibration, it resets all settings. That shouldn't happen.

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:54:35 pm by 2N3055 »

• toolsavvy
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 01:07:20 pm »
At this time only LCR Research can update the firmware. As a distributor, I can arrange this and re-calibrate the device. But, it will require some shipping expenses. What is your device shows when you go to the INFO screen?
ToolSavvy

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »
Info is:
hw.r   2 14
sw.r   2 21
LCRPro1PLUS

• toolsavvy
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »
Yes, your device can be updated with sw.r 3.01. I am not sure about losing config after self-calibration on sw.r 2.21. It must be firmware issue. I check sw.r 3.01 and it is keeping config. just fine.
ToolSavvy

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:24:13 pm »
I would like to see better probe tips for these things. Think spring loaded pogo style with bifurcated tip that 'bite' into the solder.
Take a look at the Agilent infiniium probe tips. That is what i would like to see.

Don;t know if the current one has this : rotating lcd display so left-handed people don;t have to read text upside down.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 05:27:57 pm »
Don;t know if the current one has this : rotating lcd display so left-handed people don;t have to read text upside down.

Mine does..

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »
Yes, your device can be updated with sw.r 3.01. I am not sure about losing config after self-calibration on sw.r 2.21. It must be firmware issue. I check sw.r 3.01 and it is keeping config. just fine.

Thank you for checking that. That alone would be reason enough for me to update to newest firmware.
For instance, if I start self-cal, it starts to beep after that although sound was disabled, i resets measurement interval to default etc etc...

• toolsavvy
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 02:48:52 pm »
I agree that test tips can still be improved. Using split Kelvin type tips will extend the 4-wire "Kelvin" connection to DUT. The "OPEN/SHORT" calibration taking care of tips impedance good enough up to 100kHz. But, if LCR-Reseach plans to design a 1MHz to 100MHz impedance analyzer - "Kelvin" probes is the way to go. (my opinion). Not sure thou how pogo pins will work with tweezers style handles.
And, LCR-Pro and Elite both have "right/left hand" options.
ToolSavvy

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 03:32:21 pm »
I would like to see better probe tips for these things. Think spring loaded pogo style with bifurcated tip that 'bite' into the solder.
Take a look at the Agilent infiniium probe tips. That is what i would like to see.

Yeah, this. I have a cheap set of similar tweezers and the pointy "tweezer-like" tips are enormous pain, especially when trying to measure loose parts. They rarely make a good contact on a light touch and if you squeeze it a bit more it will make the component shoot out of the tweezers, never to be seen again.

A set of "pogo pins" that you can actually use to press the part down with when trying to measure it would be a lot more practical, indeed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:20:55 am by janoc »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 12:54:03 am »
The referenced website is really nothing I would point anyone to. First you are shown THREE products, with incomplete descriptions and a button labeled 'I want it' which will take you to Ebay. No, I do not want it - I want to read the invisible remainder of the description!

Ok, trying 'Specifications'. Of the three products, only two show up. More crappy presentation and no specifications.

When you try the 'Store', the 'Elite 2' is suddenly replaced by a 'Elite 1'. WTF? Is it the same or not?
Not a single place to be found that directly compares their specs.

While I can't say anything negative about those products, the way you are presenting them on that website does not give an impression of a serious vendor.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 07:50:59 am »
The referenced website is really nothing I would point anyone to. First you are shown THREE products, with incomplete descriptions and a button labeled 'I want it' which will take you to Ebay. No, I do not want it - I want to read the invisible remainder of the description!

Ok, trying 'Specifications'. Of the three products, only two show up. More crappy presentation and no specifications.

When you try the 'Store', the 'Elite 2' is suddenly replaced by a 'Elite 1'. WTF? Is it the same or not?

While I can't say anything negative about those products, the way you are presenting them on that website does not give an impression of a serious vendor.
Sure but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to find the manufacturers website:
https://www.lcrresearch.com/

The OP should really add this to his first post.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• toolsavvy
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 04:48:41 pm »

Thank you for pointing it out. This site is not finished, and I welcome any suggestions to make it better. 
ToolSavvy

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 07:39:06 am »

Yeah, this. I have a cheap set of similar tweezers and the pointy "tweezer-like" tips are enormous pain, especially when trying to measure loose parts. They rarely make a good contact on a light touch and if you squeeze it a bit more it will make the component shoot out of the tweezers, never to be seen again.
Yes you loose the odd SMD and learn to use them more carefully however this is a good point, as the tips are stamped with slight curve so how hard would it be to have the die finely crosshatched to imprint the same pattern onto the inside of the tips ?
The only issue I see is the longevity of the gold plating with a lesser contact area but it might be a good tradeoff for better connectivity.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf